Thursday, November 10, 2022

Visit to Bannister Lake and F.W.R. Dickson Wildnerness Area

08 November, 2022
Bannister Lake Conservation Conservation Area, Ayr, ON

     Bannister Lake is known as a feeding/staging area for Sandhill Cranes (Antigone canadensis), but there was neither the sound nor sight of a crane anywhere on the morning we visited.


     Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) were present in good numbers, but other than that, there was not much at all. Several waves of geese came in, always a stirring spectacle.


     There is still a distinct element of wildness about it when their honking penetrates the air and they make their descent to the water in an aerial ballet as old as time itself.

F. W. R. Dickson Wilderness Area, Ayr, ON


     Species are moving north with a warming climate and Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) may be the next candidate to take up occupancy here. Three individuals greeted us as we parked the car. A single bird represents vagrancy, three might well signal territorial expansion.
     The birds were quite high in the trees and on the move, and we were unable to get a picture. I am indebted to my friend, Karen von Knobloch, for permitting me to use her superb image of a titmouse from the previous day.


     The Sandhill Cranes had eluded us at Bannister Lake, but we did have a couple of flocks fly over at Dickson Wilderness, their musical, resonating call permeating the crisp autumn air.


     Almost from the moment we arrived we were treated to the loud "Teakettle, teakettle" chant of Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus), but it never deigned to show itself, so here is a picture from our archives.


     The leaves on the trees have become muted, or have fallen, and a Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) illuminates a branch like a torch in a catacomb. 


     White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) was common, closeby, confiding and lovely.


     The familiar strident call of Blue Jays (Cyanocitta cristata) was heard frequently.


    At times their plumage positively glistened in the sun and they were not reticent about swooping down to the rail of the boardwalk where much food had been scattered by photographers.


     A Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) was indifferent to such blandishments and it did not pause as it cruised over to a fish-filled lake perhaps.


     The wetland looks stark and dun-coloured in November, with splotches of Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea) to relieve the drabness.


     There is nothing drab about a Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus); of that you may be sure.


     Here it is deploying its nictitating membrane to guard against damage to the eye from airborne wood chips.


     A Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis) was determined to get a fair share of the food donated by photographers. 


     In reality, there was more than enough for all comers, including opportunistic squirrels.
     Photographers, in their zeal for a natural look to their avian portraits, are wont to bring their own props. Here is just a sampling.


     You'll have to agree that the results achieved are very agreeable.


     There was no doubt in anyone's mind that the ubiquitous Black-capped Chickadees (Poecile atricapillus) were only too willing to cooperate.
     We went for a pleasant stroll through the forested area beyond the boardwalk, although the birding action was left behind by doing so.


     The walk was glorious, however, and it was ecouraging to see a tiny White Pine (Pinus strobus) seedling thrusting upwards to make its way in life.


     Back at the boardwalk an American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea) teased us mercilessly by darting in and out of dense vegetation. Finally, however, it succumbed to the temptation of a mid-morning snack and joined the throng to dine at the rail.


     I am not sure how many Red-bellied Woodpeckers were gathered around us, at least three I believe.


     Had there been a hundred I would not have tired of even one of them.
     There is something uniquely appealing about an Eastern Bluebird (Sialis sialia) that defies definition, but everyone feels it, and we were all transported to a plateau of delight when this male put in an appearance.


     If you are not experiencing an endorphin surge just looking at the picture I think you have ice in your veins!
     Cedar Waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum) evoke the same feelings of intense joy too.

     
     A Winterberry Holly (Ilex verticillata) provided a fine feast for a hungry frugivore.  
     Karen sent me this picture too of the bluebird taking advantage of the berries. As you may see, she is photographer of great skill and so kind to freely grant me permission to use her exceptional images.


     Finally, she captured the waxwing at the moment of takeoff. Amazing work, Karen.


            Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) is our most common woodpecker, and perhaps our most endearing, and never fails to induce sentiments of sheer delight.


     There were many Dark-eyed Juncos (Junco hyemalis), boldly showing off their white outer tail feathers like the miniature con trail of an aircraft - or sometimes fluffing and preening for comfort.


     What a morning it had been! What joy birds bring!

Karen von Knobloch



     If you gaze at the sky on a starry night, you will notice that there is always one star that shines brighter than the others.
     Karen is that kind of star.
     I met her several years ago when we were both monitoring urban Peregrine Falcons and I immediately experienced the pleasure of knowing someone for whom spite, vindictiveness, mean-spiritedness or even a casual unkind thought about another person is anathema. We lost contact during the restrictions imposed by COVID so it was with great joy that I ran into her at Dickson Wilderness Area.
     Since I last saw Karen, she has been diagnosed with very serious cancer, affecting both her liver and her bones, and she is suffering greatly. Pain is a constant in her life, her mobility is impaired, and I have no doubt that dark thoughts enter her mind.
     Despite all of this, she has drawn on her abiding love of nature, and her supreme ability to portray it in her pictures, to battle through it with fortitude and good spirits. No other balm would do it as well, no kind words or benevolent actions would exceed the joy of a chickadee's cheery song. 
      And she does not complain. She recounts the facts as they are, deals with the challenges as she must, yet all the while exudes friendship and good cheer to all who come into contact with her. One of Karen's hallmarks, at least in my experience, has been her hearty hugs. Not for her the brief bump of bodies, or an air kiss floating by a cheek, she hugs like she means it and as the recipient of many of her embraces I can vouch that it is wonderful. Her first reaction on seeing me yesterday was to bestow on me her world class hug.
      The Karens of this world are all too few. I hope you have yours and that she is as precious to you as Karen is to me, and to all who know her.
      I must make a point to see her soon so I get that next hug. She will never let me down.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

79 comments:

  1. Ah, I love that little pine seedling. I look forward to the return of the Sandhills. We should be hearing their voices again in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always very beautiful photos, David. I love all the "blue" birds you are showing today. The Blue Jays reminds me a bit of our own "blue" bird, Garrulus glandarius.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello David, Lovely encounters with nature David. I appreciate the smiles you bestow every time you comment. I really don't know where to start because there are so many fabulous birds on your post, but perhaps just for once I will comment on your friend Karan. I do not have a friend like Karen, but wish I did, although my daughters give me huge bear hugs.

    Karen is a wonderful photographer, all the photos she sent you are of outstanding quality, and her cheerful indomitable spirit must be felt and admired by all who know her. I send you both heart felt huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Karen is a very talented lad, and there is nothing like a good hug! You saw some wonderful birds again. Thanks for sharing, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sending positive energy to Karen. I'm so sorry she's ill. My neighbor Maureen gives outstanding hugs. I'm enjoying your photos while Tropical Storm Nicole is upon us.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...the birds with the winterberries in their mouths are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos of all your bird buddies that you encountered on your walk. :) Always enjoy your posts, David.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish the best for your friend Karen. It is a difficult journey she is on!

    These photos are wonderful. I especially enjoyed seeing the cranes. The geese this time of year are noisy overhead, I love their song!

    So many tiny bird, chickadees, nuthatches, woodpeckers…hardy though so tiny! Beauties.

    Thank you for sharing, DVid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will never meet a braver person than Karen, Marie.

      Delete
  9. Marvelous picture of the bird that was eating a red berry. I also like the pictures of the red-bellied woodpeckers.
    That natural reserve must be beautiful place to visit!
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hari Om
    Outstanding shots, as ever, thanks to all contributers - and I send the best of healing wishes to your friend Karen. Such as these are to be treasured. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stark contrast in observations between Bannister Lake and the Dickson Wilderness Area, David. Is the Bannister Lake area as 'one-dimensional' as your photo suggests it might be?

    The star of the show for me is the Eastern Bluebird, closely followed by that Tufted Titmouse.

    I'm so sorry to hear of your friend Karen's illness. Please add my name to the list of people wishing you to give her a hug from them when you next see her.

    With best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bannister Lake at times is very active, Richard. We have seen as many as 200 Sandhill Cranes there and large numbers of Tundra Swans - but not on that day!

      Delete
  12. Thank you, and Karen. I am filled with awe, with wonder, with delight (and a few misty tears).
    I am sending oceans of good wishes Karen's way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first time I saw Eastern Bluebirds was on a walk in Sedona and about a dozen of them came in close to see me. It was a thrilling experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some fabulous captures in these photos.
    Prayers and healing energy to Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful shots.

    Thanks for sharing about Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. David...it would have seemed such a chance encounter the other day but with both of our love for nature, I really think that not so much a chance encounter...just long overdue. I am so happy to have reconnected when I realized who was behind the dark glasses and the voice doing the storytelling helped me to connect the dots.

    Love the story of your day that you have so eloquently shared with all of us! I so appreciate that my photography speaks to you and Miriam. Always happy to share with like minded people :)

    My craft of photography has brought me such joy over the years for so many reasons. One of the biggest rewards has been the many treasured friends that have become so valued in my life. Now as I venture down this new path with my disease, I treasure them even more as they help and support me through so many challenges. My photography brings me solace ... my friends add the joy! Thanks to all who I get the privilege of calling FRIEND. My gift to all of you is always a big and heartfelt HUG!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many wonderful pictures. I cannot believe my fortune: a cedar waxwing and an American bluebird, one after another!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a delight to see all the birds that you encounter. The photography of your friend Karen is superb - what a wonderful photographer she is. And from what you wrote with so much heart, she seems to be a wonderful person through and through. I do love a good hug as well. I wish her much strength.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you to your good self and Karen David for these marvelous photos, breathtaking and uplifting. And so very sorry to read your comments on Karen and her physical issues. I wish her light and healing. she sounds like a very special person indeed.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. The photos are beautiful. So sorry to read about Karen, wishing her the best and may she enjoy her days the best she is able to.
    I've had my fix with the Northern Cardinal

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful post. I loved seeing the cranes in flight but really you have captured so many wonderful birds that I would never see here so thank you for sharing. It was wonderful to read about Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello David, Cranes, what a spectacle if you get to see migrating Cranes. You did see a few that is more than I did so far. But I hope to see them this weekend when the wind will at last change and will blow from the North East. That is the prediction and a last change to see them this time until Spring when they will return. Having said that I can say that the birds you show in this post are amanzing. Those colours are fantastic. The Woodpackers, Northern Cardinal, American Tree Sparrow, Eastern Bluebird and the photos taken by your friend Karen are so apealing to me. It is sad to read that your friend is suffering from cancer. I do admire her optimism. Her photos are most wonderful. My compliments. I do hope you will catch up with her soon.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi David.

    Beautiful nature and many beautiful birds.
    I always find the Spechtne very beautiful.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful photos and an excellent report you offer us, it's nice to see all those beautiful birds.
    People like Karen are admirable, I regret her state of health and I praise her good spirits.
    Lots of hugs and kisses!

    Preciosas fotos y un excelente reportaje nos ofreces, da gusto ver a todas esas aves tan bonitas.
    Personas como Karen son admirables, lamento su estado de salud y alabo su buen ánimo.
    Muchos besos y abrazos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos as always. However, you are right the photo Karen shot is stunning and so brilliant. I am sorry this lovely woman is going through so much. But, I am glad you reconnected with her. You two are definitely supposed to be in each others life. Thank you for telling her story.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Karen’s face is beautiful, and you portray her as a beautiful and determined person. Her bird photos are amazing!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Karen’s face is beautiful, and you portray her as a beautiful and determined person. Her bird photos are amazing!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi David – what a delightful picture of the Tufted Titmous – excellent from Karen. Fabulous clear blue skies … more obvious now we've been living with rather a lot of grey … that Cardinal certainly 'fires off its presence' … really showy. The Red- bellied Woodpecker too. Wonderful photographs produced with or without props …

    I don't have ice in my veins … your Eastern Bluebird is just wonderful … as too the Cedar Waxwing (it's the name that entices me). Karen as you note is a photographer of great skill – her capture of the bluebird gobbling a winter holly berry is staggering.

    Karen sounds like a dream friend … who gives wonders to all around her … those hugs sound magical – go soon – cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is my first visit to your blog, David (through Hilary). What an enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacqui. I hope you come back often. I'll be sure to visit your blog later and return the favour.

      Delete
  30. What a great series of photos this is David.
    The red cardinal is beautiful, so you only see it in a zoo with us.
    You don't see the White-breasted Nuthatch with us either, here they have an orange belly.
    The photo of your friend Karen von Knobloch's is really super.
    I feel terrible for her that she is sick and in a lot of pain.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  31. much beauty as always. Loved to see the little Carolina Wren

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was surprised that I could tick off quite a few of the birds you included as now visiting my feeders. Such a nice tribute to your friend Karen. She has a tough road ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The avifauna of New Hampshire and southern Ontario is very similar.

      Delete
  33. Una más de todas ellas estimado amigo David, todas tus entradas son maravillosas y nunca sabes realmente que pájaro o foto elegir, ya que todos y todas son maravillosas. Las de tu gran amiga Karen me han gustado muchísimo, gran profesional y excelente fotógrafa. Aúna la calidad y el momento crucial de la instantánea tan difícil de conseguir. Espero que esa gran amiga te siga dando durante mucho tiempo esos grandes abrazos que solamente los dan las personas muy especiales y con un carisma excepcional. Ojalá, la vida no se muestre tan dura con ella, pues no lo merece.
    Recibe mi afectuoso abrazo y os deseo un feliz fin de semana, así como lo mejor para tu amiga Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La abrazaré dos veces, Juan, una por ti y una por mi.

      Delete
  34. Hello David,
    Another great report on your outings, the photos are all beautiful. Some of my favorites are the Bluebirds and the Waxwings. I wish the best for your friend Karen, she is a talented photographer. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful pics and post! I especially like the cranes in flight and the gorgeous pics by Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's important to acknowledge the kind and generous ones among us, and Karen certainly is one. Your tribute is lovely. As for birding, I have two challenges this weekend. One if finding the Sandhill Cranes, which most certainly are here, and the other is trying to identify some small little 'something' that flew in two days ago and is filling the live oaks. They're so tiny I've get to even see one, except as movement, but today I'll have time to sit around and watch for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby-crowned Kinglet would be my best guess, Linda. They have pretty much left here now and they over-winter in Texas in large numbers. Seeing their ruby crown is not always easy, but if you are patient they will show it from time to time.

      Delete
    2. And please excuse all those typos! That'll teach me to blog before coffee!

      Delete
    3. No problem. I think we all do it when leaving comments. I know I do.

      Delete
  37. Your photos are amazing as always, David.
    I wish the best for Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Karen’s photos are so wonderful. I’m so sorry for her illness and pain and hope that she will feel better soon. It’s interesting that the birds you saw were the same birds we saw here (South Carolina) on our hike this week. We are lucky to have the little titmice at our feeders year around.

    ReplyDelete
  39. So even though the birds are going South for warmer weather you seem to have found many to enjoy. All of these birds are the same birds that visited me daily at my Lake House (that sadly, we had to give up due to my FH's health issues). It is like visiting old friends. We have birds around us now, mostly sparrows and Starlings. An occasional Red Tail and when I used to walk my Izzi at night, we would hear and occasionally see the Great Horned Owl. I truly miss my close contact with nature and try to recapture some of it by visiting our Arboretum ... but surprisingly, we don't see many birds there. Your beautiful words for Karen paint a picture of someone we all would love to have in our lives. I have friends like her each special in their own way. We are blessed to share I lives with such lovely people, David ... and I include you in my blessings. Until our next visit ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  40. A wonderful post as always, I love that little Titmouse, it is so cute.

    The very noisy cranes have been flying over here for the past week. North is obviously getting too cold for them!

    My thoughts go out to Karen, life can be very cruel. A big hug to her from me as well.

    Keep well, best wishes to you both, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am so sorry about your friend Karen. It's difficult to see someone so precious suffer. I will keep her in my prayers. I loved your photos of birds I rarely see like the Nuthatch. The birds with the holly berries are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful birds and wonderful photographs, such a lovely post.

    Karen sounds a very special lady and I send her a big hug.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm jealous of all the birds you are seeing. They are still scarce. They should be flocking to the bird feeder and stocking up for winter but I don't seem able to attract any. Where have they gone? I finally put the birdfeeder back on the shepherd's hook, easy access for the squirrels. Might as well feed them. It's been a hard year for them with the very long hot summer and no rain we had and no pecans this year on anyone's trees.

    ReplyDelete
  44. A wonderful tribute to Karen! And David, this area I'd spend all my birding days there!! What glorious finds. And the photos are exceptional. My favorite is the portrait of the titmouse, the bluebirds and the last woodpecker!!

    It's always a pleasure having you share your blog of birding news with us at I'd Rather B Birdin'. Have a super week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you spent but five minutes with Karen, you'd be all the better for it, Anni.

      Delete
  45. I have been trying to leave you a comment since late Friday and have nearly given up. I hope Blogger's glitch is fixed.

    As always I enjoyed seeing the woodpecker and have finally seen my first Junco thanks to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be frustrating, but thanks for being persistent. It's good to know you are reading the posts anyway.

      Delete
  46. Great shot of the Canada Geese! Wow that's an amazing photo of the Cedar Waxwing! Love it! Karen's Bluebird and Waxwing too! I'm sorry she is suffering, sending her strength! I love the Karens of this world! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  47. David, For anyone who enjoys birds, a visit to Travels with Birds is a real pleasure. Putting your excellent photographic skills together with a superior knowledge of birds has allowed you to create a really special blog. Looking through the comments (65 of them before mine) I see the words beautiful, beauty, and wonderful over and over. Congrats on an excellent publication. I am touched by your kind tribute to Karen. I wish the best for her. Thank you for sharing. John

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wonderful selection of birds and a beautiful and heartfelt tribute to your dear friend Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Lovely pictures of birds eating berries!!....and beautiful words for your friend....blessings to her.........Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  50. Très jolies séries de photos, c'est une bonne idée de laisser des perchoirs naturels pour avoir des photos plus "naturelles" :D
    L'oiseau bleu avec les baies est très beau.
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  51. So many crisp critters abound. The nuthatch looks like it has a knife for a beak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit, Shannon. I tried toi leave a reciprocal comment on your blog, but I am not sure that it went through.

      Delete
  52. Sending prayers to Karen. Her bird in flight photo is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hello David,
    When I see all these wonderful birds, I am happy for the whole evening!
    Bravo and especially thank you Karen.
    This tit is a little wonder.
    Big kisses and good evening my friend

    ReplyDelete
  54. You have a keen eye to always take the perfect photo of the birds you see. It’s difficult to have a favorite photo, they are all so good. Karen’s photos are very fine, indeed. I was walking in a forest several days ago, I could hear so many birds, but never saw one. They were hiding high in the pine trees I’m afraid.
    How wonderful for you to have such a friend as Karen. She is the friend everyone would like to have. I send her all my positive thoughts to fight hard to regain her health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that Karen is reading these comments and will appreciate everyone's good wishes. I will see her on Wednesday morning.

      Delete
  55. wow!
    Your photo with the cedar waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) should be included in the nature competition. You are a photographer with great potential. Sending healing wishes to your Friend Karen.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  56. As usual, I read carefully and greatly enjoy the magnificent photographs that illustrate your post and the interesting and educational comments with which you accompany your observations. Another big hug with all my energy for Karen, to help her cope with her current situation. A hug friend.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I have never seen an Eastern Bluebird, and yes, I did experience and endorphin surge just looking at the pictures! Karen's photos are magnificent! Your tribute to her is lovely, and obviously heartfelt. I did tear up a bit reading it. I hope she feels the virtual hugs from all of us who are reading about her in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see her tomorrow, Amy, and will pass on your hug in person.

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers