Sunday, May 14, 2023

Book Review - Birds of Costa Rica - Princeton Field Guides

     Having recently collaborated on an excellent field guide to the birds of Belize, Dale Dyer and Steve Howell have again combined forces to produce a first class guide to the Birds of Costa Rica.
     Costa Rica is one of the premier birding destinations in the world, boasting good infrastructure, excellent accommodations and food, and most importantly a wealth of birds in a wide range of habitats.
     Over the years I have made three visits to Costa Rica, and have birded just about every corner of the country. I found it interesting, and commendable, that Dyer and Howell acknowledge the development of field guides to Costa Rican birds, going back to the 1989 seminal guide by Stiles and Skutch. Each field guide has built on the success of those that have gone before and as one who has used all of them, I take great satisfaction in now possessing this newest version.
     Simply stated, it is a very fine book, meeting all the established criteria for a successful modern field guide, and in many instances exceeding them. It seems obvious that the most important component of a book dedicated to enabling observers to identify a bird, is the accuracy of the illustrations. Dyer's work is flawless, but there are added touches that give me great pleasure. Permit me to mention just two of them. On page 153, depicting those most cryptic of birds, the potoos, little cameos are added showing a bird roosting, for all the world looking like part of a tree, and another depicting the bird at night - "potoo eyes reflect like burning coals." There are those for whom Resplendent Quetzal is the most beautiful bird in all the world. Males and females are masterfully illustrated (page 189), but the crowning moment for me is the wonderful illustration below the text, of a male flying gracefully through the air, tail streaming behind him. For anyone who has ever seen a quetzal this is surely the image burned into memory. My mind  immediately evoked groves of wild avocados and  quetzals floating through the air.
     Appendix A deals with Cocos Island, a place we all wish to go to but never will, and its unique species. The very thought of this island conjures up an association with the Galápagos, and evolutionary history. 
     The field guide I have used on my two last visits to Costa Rica has been the excellent work by Garrigues and Dean. But now I have to say, "Move over guys, there's a new guide in town, and you have been dethroned." Who knows maybe you'll get busy and come up with something superior, but for now my mind is made up. Dyer and Howell it is!

Birds of Costa Rica - Princeton Field Guides
Dale Dyer and Steve N.G. Howell
Paperback - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691203355
456 pages - 6.25 x 8 inches (15.625 x 20 cm)
203 colour plates, 19 colour photos, 900+ colour maps
Publication Date: 23 May, 2023

 
 

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

35 comments:

  1. ...from the cover, the birds look exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like another great book, and it must be well written if you have given it your imprimatur! Thanks for sharing, hugs, Valerie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Maybe it's time to do it again with a great new field guide!

      Delete
  4. I know there is quite a variety there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting guide!...the best country I have birded was Papua New Guinea....and I didn't have a book guide, but the person who was my tour guide that week, helped me to identify different species of birds of paradise. He taught me in the local names, and not in the scientific and/or common English names.....it was a fantastic experience....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Papua New Guinea is a birder's dream destination, but most of us will never get there. I envy you your experience there.

      Delete
  6. Sounds good and I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I wish I had the opportunity to use this guide - and indeed rather a lot of other ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover is so beautiful, and the other drawings sounds wonderful, David.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems like a good book to me.
    The cover is beautiful with the parrots.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello David :=)
    I have to take your word for it, as you have the experience that few of us have. The guide book is a winner.I like the cover, and I remember having seen the Quetzal and it's flowing tail streaming out behind as it flew amongst the trees, but sadly only in documentary's, but the image stayed with me, and always will.
    Excellent book review.
    All the best
    Hugs for a good friend.
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of nature enchants me, Sonjia, but there are some sights that you never forget, and cherish above others, and seeing exactly what you describe above is one of them.

      Delete
  11. I went into google images and browsed all the photos of the quetzels and they are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Among the ancient Maya, the feathers were reserved for the ceremonial robes of the high priests and chiefs, and the punishment for others wearing them was death.

      Delete
  12. If I ever get the offer of being teleported to Costa Rica, David, I shall insist that this field guide accompanies me!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debe de ser muy interesantes las aves de ese país, cuando las has visitado varias veces.
    Que tengas una excelente semana. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good review, David. Nice book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buenas tardes, estimado amigo David, gran reseña la de ese libro de Dale Dyer y Steve Howell, por lo que nos cuentas es un maravilloso libro guía de consulta sobre la diversidad de aves en Costa Rica.
    Muchas gracias por darlo a conocer.
    Un gran abrazo de tu siempre amigo y compadre Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Otra guía interesante y preciosa. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is certainly a fascinating book.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Costa Rica is the kind of place where you cannot fail to see interesting birds, even if you are not looking for them!

      Delete
  18. My son went on a quarter from UC San Diego to Costa Rica. It was exhilarating. He is an entomologist and has a life long love of that country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be very exciting for an entomologist there and how one would not develop a love for the country is impossible to contemplate.

      Delete
  19. My daughter took the kids to Costa Rica on last spring break but I don’t think they watched birds – they were too busy surfing. They also went to Papua New Guinea couple of years ago, but again they went for hiking. Now, when I was in the Marquesas Islands last fall (French Polynesia) I saw many birds, beautiful ones too, but had no idea what they were and did not have a guide book. This guide you mention must be first class. What I noticed is that it has 203 color plates. When my late husband was in the last years of his Alzheimer’s malady he could not talk but since he had loved to look at birds for years I brought him several bird books, big coffee table books, of colorful birds, and he would just look and look at them, and smile. It helped him I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very touching story about your husband. I am happy to know that he found solace in birds.

      Delete
  20. If I was going to Costa Rica, this would be the first thing I get. (And the first thing I would do would be contact you!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I could have used this book back in 2013 when I visited Costa Rica. The bird life was amazing, and I know I saw hummingbirds and toucans, but who knows what species or variety. And thanks for the comment about my "pachysandra" . That's very possible that it's periwinkle, as it does look like it. I bought it at the gardens I like to visit and they were selling a collection of native plants. Either I remembered what it was wrongly or else it was labeled incorrectly. Either way I had it does get established and helps fill in that garden, and even if it moves into the lawn, that wouldn't be so bad. Hope you're week has been going well david. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi David - I gather from you and others Costa Rica is the place to go to see beautiful birds ... I'd never heard of the Potoo - what an extraordinary little bird ... so pleased you mentioned them. Another great review from you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now this one I know I left a comment as I asked you where I could find out about Bird tours in Costa Rica!!!!!! May be my computer is not linking up with you. I had a problem on the phone and changed to the computer!!! I bit worrying if comments are going astray Bisous Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's such a shame that the French don't publish such good books!
    English literature is a gold mine.
    Good luck David and see you soon for more wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Would you consider doing a comparative review of this Dyer & Howell guide vs the 2014 Garrigues & Dean book? I'm planning an upcoming trip and want to purchase one of them, but would love to see some pros & cons side-by-side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me an email, Michelle, and I will send you my thoughts on the two guides, both of which I have.

      Delete
    2. Email sent, check you spam box, and thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  26. I love the blog. Great post. It is very true, people must learn how to learn before they can learn. lol i know it sounds funny but its very true. . .

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers