Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Book Review - Science Communication in a Crisis: An Insider's Guide - Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group)


      I don't consider it hyperbole to suggest that the ability of scientists to communicate effectively with the world at large is one of the most important challenges facing society today. We live in a world, after all, where misinformation, outright lies, conspiracy theories, and political doublespeak are pervasive, aided by the ubiquity of social media, its global influence, and the addiction many have to it. Social media has the power to reinforce falsehood; at times very dangerous falsehood, to render untruth a veritable gospel.  
     It was a sobering moment for me when the former President of the United States plainly stated that "scientists don't what they are talking about" and advocated injections of bleach as a remedy for COVID. Media personalities on right-wing television stations tell baldface lies night after night, yet they have a huge following of sycophantic adherents for whom fantasy becomes reality. Unprincipled politicians too have no qualms about spreading lies, attacking scientists, restricting the flow of information, and engaging in whatever underhanded techniques will ease their path to re-election. And a gullible public falls for it all too often. 
     Christopher Reddy has been in the public eye through several significant environmental crises and has learned from painful experience that inadequate or inefficient communication, and the denial of truth and vicious personal attacks, can exact a very heavy toll on a scientist. In this book he has offered ten themes that should be considered as part of an effective response to an environmental crisis, bearing in mind that the message needs to be tailored to the audience - not diluted or diminished, mind you, but appropriate to the people receiving it. A presentation to a homeowners' association, for example, should not be heavy on scientific jargon, accompanied by graphs and statistics. It is important for scientists to recognize that all people do not have the same levels of higher education, or education in the same field, yet they are no less part of the community with an equal stake in the outcome. No one should ever be talked down to. A scientist is also a citizen, no more, no less than a philosopher, a school teacher or a plumber. Successful outcomes benefit all equally.
     Reddy provides an outline for dealing with a congressional hearing and one piece of advice is "....always defer to the people holding the hearing. Don't go toe to toe with them, because you will never win." While that may be true most of the time, bearing in mind the end-game, I was nevertheless delighted to see the highly esteemed, dedicated, impeccable scientist and decent human being, Dr. Anthony Fauci, put Senator Rand Paul in his place, and not back down at all. Fauci and Paul hardly merit mention in the same sentence!
     This is a textbook for young scientists to use as a template when interacting with the world outside their laboratory. Communication skills are vitally important to maintaining an informed public and building trust in the scientific community, a trust we need now more than ever. 

Science Communication in a Crisis: An Insider's Guide - Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group
Christopher Reddy
Paperback - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9781032377803
172 pages - 13 black-and-white illustrations
Publication date: 10 May, 2023
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

32 comments:

  1. This seems like a good book to me.
    There are also many conspiracy theories in the Netherlands and scientists are even threatened with death.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish that more people were ready to listen to scientists. People from all walks of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine what's going to happen when AI starts to run rampant.

      Delete
  3. We live in a world full of lies and illusions and need to seek the truth! Hugs, Valerie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as if this should be compulsory reading for those seeking science qualifications, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that communication is part of many science curricula now, Richard.

      Delete
  5. Great review, David. We need more books like that.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting topic David and very relevant. Often the opinion of half-educated people was perceived as the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And scientists are attacked for simply presenting the facts - especially if they are the facts politicians or industry don't want to hear. Remember the lies and obfuscation of the tobacco industry?

      Delete
  7. ...communicating isn't a strong suit for many these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recall thinking, when the first PSA's were made regarding Covid, that the communication needed improvement. An example: Initially, masks were not recommended- I suspect due to limited supply and public health's need to keep these for health care workers. This gave some the wrong impression and when masks were later recommended there was a lot of backlash. Would more transparency helped, maybe, maybe not.
    I do know from my experience, that often there is as much meaning in what is not said by government officials as there is in what is said.
    (All this to say I agree.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a very thought-provoking book, David. I think a lot of the frustration with science is that -- by its nature -- continually evolving. We can never just today's by yesterdays (which I think caused a lot of consternation with Covid). I often think that if my mother got the cancer she died from 46 years ago today (assuming she wasn't 105!) she might well have survived into old age, or at least older age, given things like earlier detection and better treatments. I'm all for science, the more the better -- and our willingness to change with it and accept proven advances. (And that's just medicine -- don't start me on the rest!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you point out, Jeanie, the very strength of science is that it continues to evolve.

      Delete
  10. The public ought to take notice of this book and read it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buen libro y con temática muy interesante.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  12. Muy interesante querido amigo David. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like an important book. Clear and effective communication skills are certainly an asset for scientists and for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds an interesting book. Scientist are supposed to know what they are talking about and studying and more people should be note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have great confidence in the scientists. It's the sound bite on TV that scares me or the people who deny it, and especially the politicians who lie about it.

      Delete
  15. Hi David - clear communication is essential - thanks for telling us about this - I'll definitely see if I can get it out of the library ... it's a pleasure to hear effective communication without the waffle or repetitive tropes ... or just repeats. Thanks for this - great to know about it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As AI becomes more and more pervasive it is going to be even more important for scientists to communicate effectively. I am starting to wonder how we will recognize the truth. It's getting to be scary.

      Delete
  16. Hello David, I fear the future with Al and wokies and more of that stuff. Brrrrrrr
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have tried 3 times to enter a comment from my phone and each time it has been rejected!! Now trying from the computer.
    I have been hinting about Costa Rica for the past year and suddenly N has told me that February is the best time to go, maybe the hints are working. If it should happen the book will be in my suitcase 😊. How does one go about finding out about bird tours, I presume there are some? May just be wishful thinking, not sure how much longer we can do long trips so hoping. Bonne journée mon ami, bisous Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane: Let me know if your trip comes to fruition and I will give you all the information you will need. David

      Delete
    2. Thanks David, I will certainly be in touch. Glad to see my comments are now working.

      Delete
  18. Having been in Medicine the majority of my life, I am of a scientific mind..I wish others were..AL is truly scary as are a lot of things out there these days..I keep saying "I"m glad I'm old"...Soon to become "I wish I was older"..

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is a sad time when science counts for so little. So many people rely on the internet for information, and not always the best sourced internet information. And speaking of information, yes, I did some research and that plant was a Vinca, a periwinkle. I was confusing it with another plant, and this is one that a friend gave to me. Thanks for clueing me in. It's good to have the correct info, especially after reading your book review. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree about the Fauci-Paul incident. I think I let out a cheer. How they keep electing that idiot is beyond me. But it's an interesting point. So many times scientists talk their own language and it's not one lay people understand. I hate the fact that one has to dumb down content but if they want it understood, it's important to speak simply and use common sense analogies to tell the story. This sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting review. Perhaps the advent of AI will make people more skeptical about lies.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers