Friday, May 12, 2023

Staying local and a day out in Goderich, ON

 23 April, 2023
Martin Creek Road, Woolwich Township, Region of Waterloo, ON

     We have to drive up this rural road on the way to the Mill Race Trail, and sometimes it hosts a good variety of birds.
     Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis) has been spotted there on several occasions.


     A pair probably nests in one of the numerous nest boxes available on the fencerows, but we have not so far been able to establish this as a fact.
     Red-winged Blackbirds (Agelaius phoeniceus) tend to congregate around a small wetland adjacent to the Mennonite schoolhouse.


     Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) is as likely to be seen along the roadside as at someone's feeders.



23 April, 2023
The Mill Race Trail, St. Jacobs, ON

     No bird along the Mill Race Trail is more predictable than Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus).


     This is a species that you could see every minute of every day, and I am quite sure it would still brighten your mood, no matter how bright you thought you already were.
     A stately Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) will impress you in quite a different way.


     On a Sunday we often share the trail with Mennonites, either men or women separately, since, as is the case with fundamentalist strands of any religion, segregation of the sexes in many aspects of life is strictly enforced.



     The presence of children, often substantial numbers of children, is a clear indication that from time to time men and women do indeed get together!
     A Red-bellied Woodpecker's (Melanerpes carolinus) thoughts are preoccupied with procreation too. It happens every spring!


24 April, 2023
Goderich, ON

     The two Great Lakes that we frequently visit are Lakes Ontario and Erie, so a day out to the shore of Lake Huron seemed like a fine idea. These lakes are inland seas, vast and always interesting, often displaying the many moods found along salt water coats, from tranquility to vicious, dangerous storms.
     I was surprised at the sheer number of American Herring Gulls (Larus smithsonianus) found along the Goderich beaches.


     A dead fish makes a great lunch for a hungry gull, but not all get to share in the feast.


     Far out on the breakwater, large flocks of Double-crested Cormorants (Nannopterum auritus) found a secure resting place.


     Not to be outdone, Ring-billed Gulls (Larus delawarensis) claimed their patch of real estate too.


     Red-breasted Mergansers (Merganser serrator) were frequently seen, mostly far out on the lake, however.


     American Herring Gull really was the dominant species, especially where an easy meal could be obtained.


     Bonaparte's Gull (Chroicocephalus philadelphia) is a small gull that we do not see often, so we were very happy to encounter several individuals in breeding plumage.



     We sat in the car and ate the lunch we had brought from home and moved on to Bayfield, checking out Pioneer Park. The following shots give you a clear idea of the vastness of these huge inland lakes.



     We took the steps down to the shore of the lake, but were prevented from going all the way by repairs taking place.


     Herring Gulls and fish seemed to be our leitmotif of the day.



     As we left we noticed this sign with its interesting story.



     Hardly on a par with the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, but bragging rights for Bayfield.

27 April, 2023
Lakeside Park, Kitchener, ON


     It's always a good day to visit Lakeside Park, and if its bright and sunny so much the better.
     We were greeted by no less than five Hermit Thrushes (Catharus guttatus). This one looks as though it has swallowed a puffball for lunch!


     Hermit Thrushes frequently pump their rusty tails, a clue when identifying this species.


     Yellow Trout Lilies (Erythronium americanum) carpeted the wooded areas; truly, it is a beautiful flower and a perennial favourite.


     Midland Painted Turtles (Chrysemys picta marginata) took advantage of the warmth to clamber out to bask in the sun. They parked better than most people park their cars!



     Black-capped Chickadees found food in the heads of the cattails.


     There was every indication that there had been a general arrival of Ruby-crowned Kinglets (Corthylio calendula) and they seemed to be everywhere we looked.



     It is not always easy to get a glimpse of the red crown from which this tiny bird gets its name.
     A male Red-winged Blackbird is an exceedingly handsome bird.


     A female is not without charm, but looks quite different from the male.


     Speaking of handsome, how about this dandy male House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)?


     Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) seem to have conquered the world, and show no signs of letting up.


     It appears that pet owners tiring of their goldfish have released them into the lake, and a couple of Caspian Terns (Hydroprogne caspia) no doubt appreciated it!


     Birds were not the only organisms taking advantage of fine weather. An early Cellophane bee (genus Colletes) caught our attention.


     Isn't nature wonderful?
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

45 comments:

  1. Many beautiful photos of wonderful birds. Every day I feed a couple of seagulls that call me when I enter into my garden.
    About the Canada Geese I don't know what happened. I spend many week ends on the Bolsena Lake where they, until last year, were numerous but now they are not there anymore. Who knows why? I hope that this is not a human (bad) decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you again. It's been a long time.

      Delete
  2. ...travel is a wonderful thing, but you proved that there is plenty to right around home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had some great walks lately, and lots of wildlife too. I'm excited to have bluebirds this year, but sadly not in my bluebird nesting box. Maybe they don't like the spot. I also have starlings for the first time I can remember too. Nature is wonderful, for certain! Have a great weekend David. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many great birds David. I think the Hermit Thrush is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here we have very few fundamentalist religions David, and I'm very happy about it. I like the photos of the lonely daffodils and the yellow erythroniums. Yes, nature is fantastic!
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is one cute hermit thrush, he reminds me of ME. scrawny legs and puffy tummy. I do love the small and adorable birds best of all. you live in a bird haven, or close to one. you would love Florida, I know longer go out to the preserves and parks but they are every where and birds are too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Querido David me encanta este post, no falta de nada, espectaculares fotos. El lugar se ve hermoso y lleno de vida. Un enorme abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature truly is wonderful! Thank you for sharing your part of the world with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hari OM
    I revelled in the gull images... thinking I need to keep attentive when spotting Black-headed gulls in case among them might be a Bonaparte's! (Not prolific this side, but definitely a possibility.) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fine collection of beautiful birds, my favorite is the Great Blue Heron. Thanks for sharing, David.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Está muy transitado el camino. Me llama mucho la atención las gaviotas, por su cercanía al mar.
    Feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nature is indeed wonderful. I am glad that the parrot was rescued - and that its rescue was worth immortalising with the rescue of the crew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so wonderful walking in our local parks at this time of year, and I see you have much of the same joy. I loved your pictures of humans, wildflowers and birds. Canada Geese have taken over many of our parks, and I saw their first goslings yesterday. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous birds and blooms as always, David. And I really love the photos of the Mennonite boys walking along. I hope they are getting some bird lessons from someone too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos as usual, Miriam. Great post, David. We only have the Bonaparte’s starting in August. Love all the gulls. We went west to Tignish today and there weren’t any gulls on the beach we normally visit. I saw my first Black Guillemot however. Love the turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simplemente maravillosas. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many lovely birds, David! Thanks for sharing them. Our birds seem decimated here. I am very concerned. There is a dangerous avian flu goin around that has killed a lot of birds around the world. I'm glad to see that you are finding lots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All the birds are interesting.
    The lake is vast, looks like the sea and love those daffodils at waters edge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello David,
    These are beautiful series of photos of your walks.
    Beautiful seagulls, here in the Netherlands many seagulls die from bird flu.
    Picture 30 is my favourite.
    I wish you a good weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello David, indeed nature is beautiful. Some great birds you show us and those lakes are indeed huges. Again a wonderful post. Thank you so much.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  21. As far as I can tell, the Mennonite/Amish communities are among the least harmful to society of the many fundamentalists among us. I respect their devotion to watching birds; we saw many groups while we were watching birds on the opposite shore of Lake Erie a few days ago. We did see quite a few family groups with men/women/and children.

    Your bird photos as always are lovely and could serve as a lesson in bird recognition.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On balance you are probably right. As for the mixing of the sexes we see it here too, of course. There are many shades of the faith as there are in other religions.

      Delete
  22. Una maravilla de paseo, es un disfrute el ver todas las aves y en especial a esos pequeños pajarillos de vistosos colores, las plantas y el paisaje también alegran la vista.
    Muchos besos y feliz semana.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all these pictures, but oh, that trout lily!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is indeed wonderful! And it's fun to pack a picnic and know you have all day to explore. You sure saw a lot and the flowers are a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The yellow flowers at the edge of the lake are champions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Buenas tardes, estimado amigo David, una salida muy provechosa, así, como hermosa llena de buenos avistamientos para satisfacer la vista y los sentidos, además, con un día espectacular de buen tiempo, así da gusto.
    Muchas gracias por mostrarnos siempre la belleza de cuanto tu buena vista y olfato capta.
    Un gran abrazo querido amigo y profesor y os deseo un feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The turtles particularly caught my eye. I like how neatly they "parked". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should do as well! Actually soon AI will do it all for us.

      Delete
  28. My parents occasionally went to Bayfield after retirement for some reason, but I've never been.

    Male red wing blackbirds are very territorial this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, Nature is wonderful - and what a lucky parrot that was!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wiosna w naturze na całego! Jak miło patrzeć na ptaki w godowych barwach. Zaciekawiły mnie żółwie. U nas też żyje jeden gatunek, ale nigdy w naturze nie widziałam, bo jest nieliczny.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love seeing the turtles David! And I think I have some Chipping Sparrows at my feeder now!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yes, Nature is indeed wonderful as are those who nurture and educate us about it. all of your pictures are beautiful and I smile as you show me so many birds I have seen and shared space with when I lived on the lake. One of my favorite birds, believe it or not, is the chipping sparrow ... they just seem sweet and cute, sort of like a little stuffed toy :) I know, sounds ridiculous, but what can I say. I could say the same thing about the Chicadees :) The Ruby-Crowned Kinglets only pass through our area in the spring so our exposure to them is short if we are lucky enough to spot them during their short stay. But the handsome Red Wing Blackbirds are here all summer and then gather in flocks and migrate in the fall. They are cantankerous birds to say the least and will dive bomb you if you venture too close to their nesting area. The Canada geese are what I would call a successful species ... though I worry that their success will be their undoing as people seem to feel they are becoming a nuisance. I also live near a great lake. Lake Michigan is just a short drive from where I am and was even closer when I lived on our lake. When I was young, we (meaning me and some crazy friends) would sleep on the beach just so we could be there to see the beautiful sunrises. And, of course the selection of birds, mostly gulls, is wonderful. In the winter the Snowy Owl is seen on it's shores and they always make the newspapers. I think your Hermit Thrush looks very pregnant and I am guessing it is that time of year for her :) Love the Painted turtles. I have similar pictures taken in our State Park and forest preserves. They do love to sun and I was always careful not to startle them and spoil their warm sunbath. So please extend a "Happy Mother's Day" to Miriam for me and have a wonderful, maybe nature filled, day with her. Till the next time ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is, as always, Andrea a joy to read.

      Delete
  33. So, Ontario is "local"..Seems odd that we have so many of the same birds..I guess that's what they use those wings for..If they can fly South, no reason why they can't fly North..
    Interesting that you have Mennonites living there..I thought we had them all..(Pa.) I'm probably mixing them with the Amish..Interesting people..
    The Great Lakes are indeed "Great".
    Love the story of the Malta..It's amazing to me what those ships and crew endured..
    Your Hermit Thrush may be "with egg"..Tis the season??
    Nice shot of the "Cellophane Bee" I don't know that I ever heard their name..
    Lovely post and wonderful pictures..Have a fun week...

    ReplyDelete
  34. hello David
    nature is simply enchanting, every time you enjoy it anew. The picture with the turtles in a row on the branch looks great.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm sorry for the late visit, David, but pleased to say that it is mainly for positive reasons.

    You field trips always leave me wishing that I'd accompanied you on them, and these ones reported on here are no exception - so much of interest and, of course, novelty value as well for me.

    You featuring Mennonites again got me wondering how these devout souls with their simple and pure lives regard the rest of us.

    My best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  36. Excellent photos, with a wide variety of beautiful birds. I especially liked the Great Blue Heron.
    Very interesting photos of Mennonite men and children.
    Magnificent yellow lily.
    So funny the turtles all together in a row sunbathing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. We visited some of the Great Lakes when we did our cross country trip back in 2007. They are indeed beautiful. I first heard of the Great Lakes in 5th grade when we had to learn the poem "John Maynard" by the great German poet Theodor Fontane - the setting is Lake Erie. It is a very dramatic and sad poem. I actually learned the whole thing by heart and it has stayed with me ever since. Beautiful birds, as usual!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers