Tuesday, November 08, 2022

If You Lived Here the Mill Race Trail Would be One of Your Favourites too......

"At its heightened moments, birdwatching can encourage a state of being close to rapture. It is an ecstasy that is said to accompany the writing of poetry, sometimes it comes when we are listening to music."
Graeme Gibson

 06 November, 2022
At home, Waterloo, ON

     Many species visit our feeders, grab a seed and fly off with it. Not so when a Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) comes to town! It stays there, gobbles down a copious quantity and then leaves with as much as it can carry.


     Now that's efficiency!
     November temperatures are so far above what is normal it is hard to believe. Alyssum (family Brassicaceae) is still blooming in the garden, now protected by a cloak of autumn leaves.


     Many is the year when early snow would have blanketed the ground by now. As Bob Dylan reminded us "The times they are a'changin'".
     Who knows, might it be just another indicator of climate change?  Will someone sit up and take notice?  Infernos around the world, floods that can barely be imagined, melting glaciers and cataclysmic loss of biodiversity don't seem to do it.
     COP27 is taking place at Sharm El-Sheikh and I wonder whether the world's "leaders" will take note of these changing times? If the past provides a window into the future, the rhetoric will be lofty, the oratory will soar, promises will be made, hands will be wrung, and all will leave and return to their respective countries and nothing will be done. 
     I bow my head in shame that my own country, Canada, has never once met one of its climate targets, and I have little expectation that we ever will.

Martin Creek Road, Woolwich Township, Region of Waterloo

     Immediately on turning onto Martin Creek Road we noticed a subsantial stand of a yellow flowering plant and stopped to inspect a little closer. 


     It is in the mustard family (family Brassicaceae, as is the case for Alyssum above), but that's about all I can tell you. I am wondering whether this family is known for its late bloomers at our latititude, but I have checked every reference I have and can find no indication of this. 
     It was quite beautiful - and that's enough for me!

Mill Race Trail, St. Jacobs, ON

     No matter how many times we visit this trail it never fails to yield excitement and deep pleasure.
     It was fitting that a Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) was one of the first species to greet us.


     I cannot begin to count how many children, and adults for that matter, have been turned onto a respect for and admiration of nature when this tiny bird has landed on their hand.
     The leaves on the water form a mosaic that is pleasing to the eye, but also caused us to reflect a little on the cycle of growth and decay, the restoration of nutrients, the natural systems developed over eons that bind ecosytems together, that we are so willing to destroy.



     A Hairy Woodpecker (Leuconotopicus villosus) quietly went about his business after giving us a quick whistle to let us know he was there.


     Dark-eyed Juncos (Junco hyemalis) always seem exuberant to me and they were frequently seen searching for food, kicking up dirt and scratching among the leaves.


     Golden-crowned Kinglets (Regulus satrapa) remain frustratingly difficult to photograph.


     A Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) stayed close to us for a while.


     Orange Mycena (Mycena leaiana) is a common fungus, usually found in clusters and fruiting on wood; it is exceptionally attractive to my eyes.


     There were Mallards (Anas platyrynchos) all along the Mill Race; pleasant company to be sure.


     This drake was either very curious or looking for food; the picture is not cropped at all.


     Many pair bonds seem already to have been formed. Fidelity will be another matter entirely!


     An American Black Duck (Anas rubipres) was quite at home with the Mallards.


     The beavers have dragged in copious stalks of corn from the fields and the Mallards are happy to take advantage of this unexpected and unusual bounty.


     The beaver dam is solid and has been reinforced with a substantial amount of mud.


     Not even a trickle of water was observed to penetrate the structure. in places the water level is getting precariously close to encroaching onto the path. I hope it doesn't happen resulting in the destruction of the damn by the municipality.
     I find Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) extraordinarily beautiful, especially in the fall when the seeds disperse.


     I mentioned Downy Woodpecker above. It is a delightful bird, confiding and very common in the right habitat. The following images are different birds from the one above.



     The bankside trees are shallow-rooted and prone to being felled by strong winds.


     Ducks use them as convenient perches and the shade reduces the water temperature promoting healthy conditions for fish.
     Several Blue Jays accompanied us on our walk.



     A small flock of Cedar Waxwings (Bombyciila cedrorum) was launching from high branches to capture aerial insects.


     Flying insects are not what one expects in November!
     Fleabane (Genus Erigeron) was still in bloom, quite profusely in places.


     It brought us great joy to see our first American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea) of the fall.


     It is such a delicate and beautiful little bird, the very arbiter of good taste.
     What is quite so lovely as seeds being wafted on the wind?


     Several small flocks of Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) seemed quite blissful, enjoying the unexpectedly benign November weather.


     A stroll along the Mill Race would seem incomplete without a White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) or two.


     As we went to retrieve our car a trio of young Mennonite girls walked past us at a leisurely pace.


Martin Creek Road, Woolwich Township, Region of Waterloo

     American Kestrel (Falco sparverius) has experienced declining populations in recent years, alarmingly so in some parts.
     It was with great elation, therefore, that we saw a male in an area where we know the species has bred in previous years.


     It was frustratingly difficult for Miriam to get a decent picture as this wary bird moved at the blink of an eye, and this is the best she could do.
     It was a sensational end to an afternoon that had already been a great success.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

56 comments:

  1. Girls have shoes for easy walking/running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Democrats in office, the U.S. makes some attempts to deal with climate change (no doubt not enough). With Republicans in office, climate change does not exist. It's disheartening, and the election is today. Someone in my neighborhood mentioned spotting an injured hawk. I hope everything turned out all right.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mill Race Trail seems such an idyllic place to walk. You always come back with so many beautiful photos. Climate change conferences seem to be for show and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...few things miss your eye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another gorgeous post. I really have learned so much from your post. Some of the birds I have here, I can now identify. We don't have blue jays here and I do miss seeing them. We have stellar jays. I will have to research to see if they are related. Or you can just tell me. LOL Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steller's Jay is indeed a kissing cousin of Blue Jay - and a very handsome one too.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure that the Mill Race Trail would be one of my favourites, David, but I think that I'd be spoilt for choice if I did live there!

    Blogger has thrown up another oddity. Your third Downy Woodpecker image (the second of the duo) just shows as a blank white square with a minute motif in the corner. However, if I click on the square it shows the full image in the image strip that appears.

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost as sure as death and taxes, Richard is the fact that blogger gremlins are alive and well!

      Delete
  7. Hari OM
    David, it is not just Canadians, but the whole world's governments who must be held to account for their lack of action on all the lipservice paid to climate action... The closer we get to the possibility of a major shift, it seems, the more distant the goal appears. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful images to help lift the spirit. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I could visit you (I wish) I would have LOTS of favourite trails. And would probably neglect quite a lot of other things exploring them. I am commenting today using a different browser. It seems to work. I hope it works. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of all that we could see together.

      Delete
    2. I am. And mourning that it is unlikely to happen.

      Delete
  9. Another wonderful trail to walk and explore. Great sightings, David.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    It does look like a great nature trail, there is always something for us nature lovers to see if we only are looking. I always enjoy seeing the birds you see there, most are ones I see here too. Beautiful photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another wonderful post,, you see so much on your walks, and with your photos and description s enable us to join you. But I'm surprised that you still have Canada geese, I thought they were all over here!🌝 Big hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we still have a few here, but we sent a contingent or aristocrats to Balconia-by-the-Rhine.

      Delete
  12. You have so many different beautiful walks in your area, I really don't know how you can pick out a favourite trail - I always love all your pictures from all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello David, Mill Race Trail sounds indeed like a great place to walk. A place to forget for a short time the depressing news about what is going on in politics, climat and war that like you say humans do not seem to have a solution for. They can talk and talk as much as they want but than they go home and things stay just as they were. But there are those moments like encountering that great bird the American Kestrel at the end of your walk. When you have those moments hope is still there. Stay well and warm regards from Belgium where it is also still to warm.
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  14. I envy you all the beautiful birds who lives in your area. The Blue Jays, The Mallards and the Dark-eyed Juncos are my favorites today. I love to see all the flowers who still bloom. Yes, the climate is changing all the time David, and I fear that no or very few countries can say they have reached their climate goals.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing the picture of the three Mennonite girls. After I had seen it, I got info about Mennonite communities across the world ... I learnt that the largest populations of Mennonites live in Canada.

    Spectacular pictures of both the dark-eyed junkos and the hairy woodpecker!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet little Dark-eyed Junco! I look forward to seeing you in my yard in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photographs, the Mill Race Trail looks a lovely place to walk.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, that is a very colorful post. Both nature and birds are stunning :)

      Delete
  18. I am no climate change denier, but would remind us that the temperatures in NE Ohio were warm enough for shorts the year Kennedy was assassinated, November, 1963. Global climate change at an extraordinary rate was happening even at the beginning of the 20th century, with industrial manufacturing for the first World War.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's great to see that photo of the kestrel. You can see a lot of details. And we had a lot of warmth for November also, but today we're back to the more normal temps. I must say I liked the warmth, but it definitely was throwing everything off. I had roses blooming and the bees were out, but there wasn't much blooming besides some potted annuals. I wonder what this winter will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All looks wonderful. Like how the trees bend over the water...

    ReplyDelete
  21. David, what an interesting journey! I liked birds, most of all I like dark-eyed juncos and woodpeckers. Pink jays live here, but there are no blue jays at all.
    I would like the climate to become warmer, at least here in the North.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A stunning set of photos as always and again I enjoyed the walk with you very much.

    Climate change will never work unless all countries do their bit. Is that ever likely to happen?

    Our garden is very confused and we have many flowers still around that we normally never see in November. Bugs though are at a minimum.

    Keep well. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Buenos días, apreciado David, llevas razón, una tarde muy exitosa, ya que estuvo muy concurrida con muy buena cantidad de bellos avistamientos, incluyendo plantas en floración, nada usual en estas fechas de noviembre. Llevas razón, por muchas reuniones que se hagan, nadie toma en serio los graves problemas que se avecinan con el cambio climático. Reuniones que terminan en eso en reuniones, comidas, visitas, pasarlo bien… y poco más, ya que los problemas reales aparcados quedan.
    Un gran abrazo amigo y tocayo David.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As much as I enjoy your birds and flowers, I always appreciate a peek at the beavers' work. Even though I've read that they're part of east Texas, I've yet to see one, or a dam. They're obviously clever creatures, with highly honed skills. The photo of the three girls is charming. Given their similar dress, I wondered if the pair on the right might be twins.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi David.

    Beautiful birds.
    I think the Woodpecker is great.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love those woodpeckers! More, please.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi David,
    Some trees are blooming again at my place too. Poor nature. I imagine myself lost in the middle of nowhere not knowing how to react. Nature is like that today. The COP will not change anything, money will be spent again!
    The technique of the jay is close to the human being in a panic situation. Take everything without thinking about the others ;-)
    I like the Junco very much.

    All these communities in the USA or Canada have always intrigued me...

    Gros bisous de la côte Atlantique française :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day, Nathalie, the birds ask me if you are ever going to come and see them!

      Delete
  28. Beautiful collection of photos David. Nature is always intriguing and provides us with so much tranquility. Politically I feel your frustration with the lack of care. The environment should be the number one issue across the globe but it is far from it. It is the only thing I worship since it feeds my body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Un lugar con mucha vida. La tarde fue muy fructífera en avistamientos. Como me gustaría ir un día con vosotros para ver algunas de las aves que por aquí no se ven. Un placer siempre llegar aquí David.
    Que paséis buena noche.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful pictures!...I have lots of blue jays and cardinals in my bird feeder....Usually female blue jays are very aggressive and selfish with the seeds....they want to eat everything!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  31. Marvelous post! It is interesting that some poorer nations are talking about how they should get reimbursed by the countries that caused climate disasters. Perhaps this will help us wake up. Money talks.

    If our lawyers realize that there is money to be made by suing polluters, things could get very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful birds and flowers. First time I see an orange wood fungus.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are right David, not enough is being done about climate change. A lot of empty promises only! That photo of the Common Milkweed is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Siempre te digo lo mismo, pero es que me encantan tus paseos. Gracias por las fotografías tan preciosas. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh for sure, this would be a favorite trail, David. And all the others you show us here as well. Do the Cedar Waxwings stay for the winter? I see them here in early to mid spring during migration, but now I wonder where they migrate to. I had always thought to the North - but if they're already there...?? I love when they turn up here in those big flocks. Enjoy this beautiful trail many more times! Hugs, Carola

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi David - your yellow flower is almost certainly rape flower ... not a good one for us ... and cause allergic reactions to people, and particularly horses ... so I hope it hasn't taken hold ... stunning birds though - I always just enjoy going along with you wherever you and Miriam take us ... cheers Hilary
    http://www.seasonalwildflowers.com/oil-seed-rape.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you are right, Hilary, but it appears not to be a problem here, and rape is a large commercial crop in Western Canada - https://inspection.canada.ca/plant-varieties/plants-with-novel-traits/applicants/directive-94-08/biology-documents/brassica-napus-l-/eng/1330729090093/1330729278970

      Delete
  37. Nature is wonderful and in everything it manages to dazzle our eyes. I especially loved the photo of Hairy Woodpecker, what a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm so very far behind in visiting, David, and apologize for that. But a visit to this wonderful place, even late and in your photos, is always the best. Someday, maybe I'll walk it and even more in my dream list, have a visit on my palm from the chickadee! You never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chickadee on your hand I could almost guarantee, Jeanie, and maybe a nuthatch too.

      Delete
  39. I've no doubt that this would be a favorite destination if I lived nearby. Magnificent pohotos as always. I do love your opening quote. Bird watching saved my sanity during the lockdown days of Covid.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers