Tuesday, November 15, 2022

At Home and Columbia Lake

 08 November, 2022
At home, Waterloo, ON

     An appropriately named Fall Cankerworm Moth (Alsophila pometaria) was resting on our garage door when I arrived home from a shopping expedition. Miriam quickly grabbed her camera to take a picture.


10 November, 2022
Columbia Lake, Waterloo, ON

     On a tranquil November afternoon, with the temperature nudging an amazing 20 degrees, we decided to spend an hour or two at Columbia Lake.


     
Many Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) had similarly decided it was a good idea.


     There are several races of Canada Goose and some of the birds present were decidedly smaller than others, representing a diminutive subspecies. I checked carefully to see whether there were Cackling Geese (Branta hutchinsii) among them but I was unable to find any.
     A small contingent of Ring-billed Gulls (Larus delawarensis) was content to idle away the time at the water's edge.


     They were joined by a lone American Herring Gull (Larus smithsonianus).


     A juvenile Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) was getting ready for its first migration, a hazardous time in the life of any young bird.


     The reeds have turned to brown, yet still retain their charm.


     Mallards (Anas platyrynchos) exploited every area where feeding might be good, and this male seems to have paired off with a domestic type female.


     I retain a great fondness for Mallards and the fact of seeing them with such regularity does not diminish my appreciation in any way.



     They foraged together with Canada Geese quite peaceably, a condition probably facilitated by an abundance of food.


      The first Green-winged Teal (Anas carolinensis) we saw was a female.


     So delicate! So tiny!

     It was not long before we saw a male.


     So delicate! So handsome!

     What a gorgeous pair they make.


     There were Hooded Mergansers (Lophodytes cucullatus), all female, equally captivating and just as small as the teal. You can gauge the size yourself in the following picture where the Hooded Merganser is dwarfed by both Canada Geese and Mallards.


     Perhaps splashing furiously makes one feel bigger and more threatening, or perhaps its just to ensure clean feathers.


     The mergansers were diving continuously in search of food, and sometimes presented a very low profile as they swam along the surface of the lake.


     This individual, resting out of the water, erected its crest.


     We scanned the lake for about forty-five minutes, but other than for a single Double-crested Cormorant (Nannopterum auritus) far away near the opposite shore, we could find nothing different from what you see here.   
     Our parting shot shows you what exceptionally fine weather has blanketed Ontario for the first third of November.


     I doubt that it can last but we'll take it while we may.

12 November, 2022
At home, Waterloo, ON

"An apparently simple decision - such as going out into the garden to better hear the exquisite song of a bird - can lead to a glimpse of eternity"
Graeme Gibson
 
      November is finally looking like November, with our first snowfall of the season. 


     It didn't amount to much but it was sufficient to carpet the ground.



     Dark-eyed Juncos (Junco hyemalis) are hardy little birds and wintry weather does nothing to deter them. This individual turned its back on me.


     A Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) was on the bird feeder when I first looked out, but had moved to the fence by the time I got my camera.


     I'll try to be diligent in keeping the feeders topped up now. It's very satisying to be able to give the birds a helping hand and in return they put on nature's finest show for us.

13 November, 2022
At home, Waterloo, ON

     The snow continued on and off all day, heavy wet deposits too, so it seemed best to stay at home. Having filled my feeders, we both busied ourselves with indoor pursuits.
     From time to time, I glanced out the window, and even garnered a few pictures of indifferent quality.
     A female Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) assiduously worked the feeders, initially eating a couple of seeds, and then leaving to add to her winter storage.


     She departed in different directions so I assume she is caching seeds in various locations - including the birch tree in the garden. I have watched her several times since and her routine is maintained without exception. 


     Dark-eyed Juncos landed on branches, poised to begin feeding.


     Some dropped down a short distance onto the feeders.....


     ..... while others gleaned the spillage on the ground.


     American Goldfinches (Spinus tristis) sometimes arrive a dozen or more at a time and immediately set about exploiting the feeders, distributing to those below in the process.


     A patient Eastern Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) always gets at least its fair share - and generally a little more.


      After all, they have to make a living too. 

14 November, 2022
At home, Waterloo, ON

     For a reason unknown to us, Mourning Doves (Zenaida macroura) seem to favour perching on the side of the bird bath.


     Sometimes they drink, but are rarely seen to bathe. In the summer they often stand in the water with their belly immersed.

15 November, 2022
Columbia Lake, Waterloo, ON

     It was a cold and blustery day. The febrile winds of November skirled and juddered and the snow dotted our binoculars like the white spot on a coot. Nevertheless we soldiered on, indomnitable and impassioned birders that we are, like shoppers surging forward for free samples at Costco.
     The birds had more sense than their human pursuers and had taken shelter somewhere. Canada Geese preferred to nibble on grass on a sports field.


     We made our way to the water where a small flock of Mallards made us welcome.


     As we scanned the lake many more were spotted hunkering against the leeward shore for protection.
     The creek meandered along, undeterred by inclement conditions.


     Many tree species have been infected by insect and fungal blights and pre-emptive removal has become standard practice. With chestnuts gone, elm eliminated, ash endangered, beech infected - and so on - one may rightly ask what species will remain a few years hence.
     Some wag had taken the trouble to take his chain saw and carve out a chair; a whimsical touch in a sea of sadness.


     A lady walked by, accompanied by her husband and her dog, and we jokingly suggested that she take a seat and pose for a picture. Without a moment's hesitation, she did!


     Now that's our kind of person!
     The dog seized the opportunity to be petted by everyone and we went our separate ways.
     It was not the best of days, but we were joined by Judy and Mary and made the most of it.
     The coffee tasted extra good when we returned home.
      Next week we'll do it again.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

49 comments:

  1. Free samples at Costco (shudder) or birds and nature? A choice I would have NO troubles in making. And would make the same decision each and every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    While the mild temps are appreciated in many regards, it just has not felt natural, has it? To see your grazing of snow seemed to me to be just right and I find I am keen for that switch to go off here! Still, it is indeed wise to make the most of what you have and you surely have done that. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. David! it was a great walk! Your photos are beautiful, I admire the wonderful color of the sky and water. I am delighted with waterfowl, I am genuinely surprised by the first snow this autumn.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it happens every year, and usually in November, I think we always a little surprised at the first snowfall.

      Delete
  4. I fully agree with you about the Mallards, David. They live here too, and yesterday I saw maybe fifty of them floating on the big river near us. As I told you before, one of them landed in my garden pond for many years ago. I could not belive my own eyes when I saw it.
    Yes, we must give the birds a lot of food. I always feed the squirrels too. They need food during the winter as well. This year you got snow before I did :)
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got it first, Marit, but I suspect that before the winter is done with us you will have had more. Hugs and kisses - David

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's possible.
      Hugs and kisses, Marit

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    Wonderful post and photos from your walk. I enjoyed the lake views and all the birds. We have not had a snow yet, possibly tonight a wet snow. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great time you had out and about exploring nature. The photos and narrative are perfect. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. C'est réussi le fauteuil dans le tronc d'arbre! :D
    Jolies couleurs pour la nature, et je vois un peu de neige. Peut-être qu'il y'en aura chez moi la semaine prochaine. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mourning doves bathe in the water dish I have on the ground on my patio here all summer.
    The male mallards have the most gorgeous green heads when the light hits them just right--like they are fluorescent! I've always thought they were such striking birds.
    Love the chainsaw chair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...David, you captured some beautiful images, the first one is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely birds! More snow is due in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snow is in our forecast for tonight. We'll wake to see what it there. I have some of the same birds as regular at my feeders. I didn't know that some of them were caching seeds until I read it here on another post. I watched a nuthatch do just that recently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that seat. Birds are always good to see...the Northern Cardinal always a pleasure to see for me.
    The lady across the road feeds several magpies each year, they arrived back yesterday to her home and come many times in the day for a feed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post and photos of your hike.
    I enjoyed all the birds, there are a few that I never see here in the Netherlands.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi David, thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of the birds etc that you encountered. No snow here, yet, but it's getting colder, and we had some much needed rain! I love watching the mallards. Together with the gulls they stay in the stretch of river directly in front of the town gate, and the mallards sometimes waddle up the street just for fun! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people even waddle up the street just for fun!

      Delete
  15. Hi David.

    A beautiful series with nature. birds and ducks.
    Nice that stump from the tree trunk.
    How nice the first snow.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the photos of the mergansers and how you captured their size. I’ve seen lone females here this fall too but have not been able to show their size in the photos.

    I’ve never seen a grebe so I especially enjoy that photo.

    Autumn does offer up its own birds for our enjoyment. I’ve seen some here I haven’t seen before! However, any birds are a wonderful bonus this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear David,
    At first glance, the Alsophila pometaria looks quite inconspicuous, but on closer inspection it looks wonderfully bronze-gold in the sunlight!
    Oh, and Columbia Lake looks gorgeous, especially on such a beautiful sunny autumn day. And of course all sorts of birds are of the same opinion! Incidentally, we only saw Canada geese live a short time ago - in an animal park that we visited with friends. (There were also other species of geese, ducks, black swans and even flamingos in the ponds.) A report will follow, but probably only after a longer trip, which we will embark on soon (and which will hopefully also bring us interesting animal sightings! )
    We haven't had snowfall in our part of Austria yet, but further west there was a lot of it. Our bird feeders are still well stocked - especially sparrows and great tits are VERY happy about it. Otherwise we mainly see magpies, blackbirds, different species of pigeons and crows. Two weeks ago I saw a robin here again after a long, long absence.
    The tree thing is sad. I think that sooner or later trees will take over, which are currently still considered neophytes, but will then be gratefully accepted. Nature will adapt as best as it can, but most people are probably too stupid to adapt and improve.
    All the best
    and have a wonderful time!
    Traude

    ReplyDelete
  18. Buenos días, querido amigo, el clima sigue manteniendo unas temperaturas nada normales para estas fechas. Me hacen mucha gracia y son muy simpáticos los pollos de agua encapuchados, la verdad que presentan una gran ternura.
    Otro bello reportaje cerca de casa e incluso en los alrededores de tu propia casa. Es sumamente gratificante el poder contemplar una bella naturaleza como aquel que dice, saliendo simplemente al exterior.
    Un gran abrazo estimado, amigo y compadre David.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The snow makes life interesting. I love the goldfinch, a bright spot of yellow in rather bleak surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is only bleak to your Hawaiian eyes, Gigi. It does not appear bleak to those of us who live here and embrace winter.

      Delete
  20. I have to say, David, that your affection for the ubiquitous Mallard is brushing off on me. I expect that you've seen it on many an occasion, but I tend to get excited when, in rare lighting circumstances, the green on the head of the drake takes on a fully blue colouration. I first noticed it in my early birding days in Switzerland and thought that I'd come across a new species!

    It has turned much colder here in the past few days, but nothing as dramatic as that change that you have had there. It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get any snow this winter.

    My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful blue-sky day at the lake and lots of wonderful sightings. We had our first snowfall here, too. I will admit it's pretty. I'll also admit I'm nowhere near ready!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful autumn walk you had. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It has been unseasonally warm here too. Your post was full of so many birds. I always like to see the ones that we don't have here such as the red cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello David,
    The mallard is like the white stork. It seems that they are always smiling :-) That's why we love them.
    The birds will soon arrive in your yard with this snow. Already there are very beautiful species as I like them.
    Very good evening David.
    Kisses from France

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do enjoy these walks with you but I was a bit a taken back that we found snow along the way!!! I am glad that my walks are virtual, as much as I would love to join you in summer.
    Fab photos as always, I seldom ever see mallards around here but then there is not much water around us that I can actually get to, Any dams are all on private land.
    Have a good week and I hope it does not get too cold, though I know you are waiting for the snowy owls 😊 Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello David :=)
    Your outings are always pleasing, and I enjoy the way you embrace any kind of weather. I especially enjoyed seeing all the images of the Canada Geese, in flight, on the water, and surprisingly on the sports field. The Mallards and the tiny Hooded Mergansers were a joy to see. The Hooded Mergansers are so endearing, and one capture is quite comical. :) Beautiful capture of the Mourning Dove, and all your small garden visitors.
    The loss of trees is a sad situation David, I agree, but the chair and the very obliging lady made me smile, which was a great way in which to end your post, and the hot coffee of course. :=)
    My very best wishes and hugs from a very wet Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A long time ago I used to think that all animals of a species were exactly the same. But when you look it is amazing how they do vary. We had our first snow last night. We got about as much as you did. Good thing I have the bees are tucked up for winter. It's here I guess. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful walk....I totally understand that the taste of the coffee is amazing when we arrive home after walking in a cold day....I remember those days.......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  29. Enjoyed your post. I had to ask Siri what 20°C was and she knew. I did not know there were different races of Canada geese but it explains a lot. I have seen some that are quite different from others, and I assumed that they were hybrid but… okay, now I’m thinking they run partially on electricity. I guess I should go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely walks in all kinds of weather. That chair is amazing and I liked that the lady sat down for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The little Grebe was delightful, as were the Mergansers. Of course it was amazing to see your snow. I took a bit of a closer look when I came across reports of the lake effect snow coming this weekend, but it seems you won't be affected by that. I think it's always so pretty when there's just enough snow for the still-green foliage and flowers to peek out from beneath it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. David - enjoyed strolling the paths with you, and observing your backyard wildlife. We've had snow on the ground for almost a month, and very cold temps for this time of year, but you won't hear us complaining! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A great series of walks! Our November has been mild, too, and we've been out walking and noticing the birds. Lots of mallards and wood ducks - such pretty ducks they are, and the ubiquitous Canada Geese. It's time to put out our feeders once again and enjoy the entertainment provided by nature.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I usually forget what I wanted to say by the time I scroll past the number of comments and the photos. Our winter Canadian geese are returning to our finger of the river. We also have mallards that stay during the winter. I did see our first small grebe, though and that got me excited!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sudden transition from autumn to winter.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi David - stunning early November views - the snow ones take me back to my arrival on VI in Dec 2017 ... I'm really not happy in the snow - but it is pretty! Love the care you both take with your pics and write ups - thank you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  37. Simplemente maravilloso tu reportaje. Miriam es una gran fotógrafa. Abrazos para los dos.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The only thing I'm attracting to my feeders, at least that I see, is squirrels but since the birds seems to have disappeared this fall the squirrels might as well have at it. They had a hard summer and with no pecans being produced this year (third year in a row for me, even the large native down the street that always produces a profusion of pecans has not a single one) the population might diminish this winter. No acorns either I've noticed from our two oaks or the live oaks along the street. Last year the ground was fairly solid with acorns.

    Sad about the trees dying up there.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lovely to follow along on your adventures. The doves in my backyard also like to sit on the bird bath. All of the leaves are basically down in my area now, which gives me an open view to the bird feeders in the backyard. It's a joy to sit at the kitchen table and be constantly entertained by our feathered friends!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers