Friday, February 18, 2022

A Couple of Recent Walks through Snowy Woods

08 February 2022
Hillside Park, Waterloo, ON

     The first sight to greet us was a Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) perched stoically in a tree, weathering the storm like the rest of us.


     Most Great Blue Herons migrate at the approach of winter, but a few hardy individuals always remain, and over the past twenty years or so I have seen this species here in every month of the year. They are opportunistic feeders, and in addition to capturing prey in open water, will take waterfowl, rodents, rabbits and other mammals, anything they can capture really. As long as they are able locate food they appear to be capable of tolerating harsh weather.
     It was a snowy day in the park.


     Mallards (Anas platyrynchos) disported in open patches of water, seeming to relish winter with the enthusiasm of a child.


     Their familiar quack seemed like a summons to come and play, a clarion call of happiness.
     A Merlin (Falco columbarius) surveyed its hunting grounds from a lofty perch, ready to intercept any unwary songbird.


     Winter is a challenge to all and only the hardiest will survive.
     Spruce cones bedecked in snow are always lovely to behold.


     The longer we walked the more it snowed, but it was good to be out on a quintessential winter's day in Ontario.


     I am sure this Hairy Woodpecker (Leuconotopicus villosus) would agree.



15 February 2022
Linear Trail, Cambridge, ON

     The Linear Trail is always a great spot for a walk and on a good day can deliver spectacular birding.


    Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator) has become well established in Ontario, and it is not unusual to see them in Waterloo Region. Two birds, presumably a pair, were present at the confluence of the Grand and Speed Rivers.


     A Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) is a big bird - except when seen alongside a Trumpeter Swan.


     American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea) is present only in the winter in our area, and may be reliably found along the Linear Trail.


     We came across a female Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus), either checking a hole for nesting potential or retrieving food from a cache - we were never quite sure.



     Great excitement was provided, however, when two males appeared on the scene, uttering a good deal of chatter, chasing each other furiously, and the female too, putting on quite a show for us.


     One might conclude that mating urges are stirring.
     In that context we heard our first singing Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) of the year. It is such a cheerful, uplifting song, and a sure sign that spring will soon be here to greet us.



15 February 2022
Riverside Park, Cambridge, ON

     It is a very brief journey from the Linear Trail to Riverside Park. There is always lots of activity along the boardwalk, where for years people have brought seed, and even installed suet feeders which are kept stocked. From time to time rarities appear, lured by an easy meal no doubt.
     The first bird to greet us was an American Tree Sparrow.


     In short order it was joined by a Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis).


     Could you ever tire of seeing a Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)? I know that I never could.



     They too claim their share of the bounty.


     I think we can all agree that a male House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) is a handsome bird.



     House Sparrows were always more common when horse drawn drays and carriages were the standard modes of transportation, and grain spilled from feed bags provided a reliable source of food. Perhaps humans delivering corn in places such as Riverside Park have become an effective substitute.
     A female Northern Cardinal is a paragon of subdued beauty and elegance.


     As one walks along the length and breadth of the boardwalk the sheer number of individuals from various species is impressive. Witness another American Tree Sparrow.


     In the next picture you can see the contrast between the native tree sparrow and the alien House Sparrow.


     A Dark-eyed Junco decided to join the party.


     Northern Cardinals are not at all shy at this location and will often approach within arm's length.


     For my money, Red-bellied Woodpecker is our most attractive picid.


     When I disturbed the female above for just a moment, she scolded me and returned to her position as soon as I had walked past.
     American Red Squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) are handsome, fearless, entertaining and pugnacious.


     It would not be unreasonable to assign the same attributes to a Blue Jay.


     The Speed River was frozen other than for a ribbon of water flowing at the edges, but there were no waterfowl present to take advantage of it.


   
 Here is a view along the boardwalk as we made our way back.


     I would venture to say that one is never out of sight or earshot of a Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus).


      As indicated above, House Sparrows have become rare in recent years, and in many countries across Europe are now included on lists of vulnerable species. I know of no location locally where their numbers, and the simple reliability of seeing them, surpasses Riverside Park.


       The six males above represent a small sample, and sometimes squabbling flocks of thirty or forty can be observed. 
     White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) is primarily a migratory species, but small numbers remain here for the winter, and Riverside Park is a favoured location.


       Nuthatches in general are intriguing little birds, always special, and Red-breasted Nuthatch (SItta canadensis) is encountered less frequently than its white-breasted cousin.



     A chickadee is rarely reluctant to visit an outstretched hand, especially if sunflower hearts are on the menu.


     The nuthatch was quick to follow suit so I had the unrestrained joy of having a a chickadee and a nuthatch undertaking a shuttle service to my hand.


     A Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) was content to watch the proceedings from a convenient perch.


     On the way back to the car an American Crow (Corvus brachyrynchos) bid us an emphatic good morning.


     In the woodland at the edge of a parking lot a flock of about twenty-five American Robins (Turdus migratorius) had found food and they made a cheery end to our walk.


     This is a species that suffers from familiarity; it really is a handsome bird and warrants our admiration.


     I hope you have enjoyed this vicarious walk with us. Who knows, one day we may do it together?
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

59 comments:

  1. ...David, you saw and captured the beauty of winter days. Thanks for taking me along on these trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great assortment of photos! I did enjoy the vicarious walk with you. I love those pine cones. And there are a few hardy Great Blue Herons who remain here in Connecticut US through the Winter. They probably move closer to the shore, where the water isn't frozen over, so they can still fish. I would love to walk with you in person, if the pandemic ever ends. It is beautiful there! But it's a bit of a drive from my area to yours, although still doable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think it's doable. i once drove from here to Cape Cod in one day.

      Delete
  3. We have lots of great blue herons here in Oklahoma and I see them all year, all over the state. One of the few birds that I can identify!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello David,
    It seems that you had a lot of snow and cold temperatures this winter. You have taken many very beautiful photos, and who can resist the Blue Jay? I guess I had forgot my flowers, and only taken photos of Blue Jay ;)
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Oh my word, so very much to enjoy here... but for my eye, that shot of the female Cardinal is perhaps one of the best I have ever seen!!! A pleasure to have 'walked' with you again... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of snow and winter beauty. Thanks for the beautiful bird photos and taking us on your winter walk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You live in a very beautiful neighbourhood. I don't think I have ever seen so many different kinds of birds...they are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos, so many beautiful birds. Short comment, we keep losing internet because of the storm ! Big hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robins in the snow! I have never seen that before, just robins in a bare branches. Beautiful.

    Just shout-out: my current post is about crows, and I list your site as a one that will be enjoyed. Your knowledge and photos are a pleasure to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the Woodpeckers. They are beautiful (not their sound)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are lots of robins around PEI this year which is strange. They didn’t go south this year. I saw tree sparrows last week too though it was hard to get good photos of them. Miriam got some great shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless a new virulent strain of COVID foists itself on us, we'll see you in May, Marie.

      Delete
  12. I've always wondered why the red bellied woodpecker is called a red bellied woodpecker. They are fun to watch in the jerky way they move their bodies and make those funny calls. I happen to like those red squirrels. They have so much personality. Last year I had one who knew how to get into one of my feeders, but I haven't seen any do it this year so I'm afraid the smart one is with us no longer. Nice photos today. You saw a lot of species, and those robins really do look outstanding in the snow. Have a nice weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a little red smudge on its lower belly, but not often visible.

      Delete
  13. I must admit I've never seen either Robins or Great Blue Herons in the middle of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bar the swans and heron, it was like watching my bird feeders, in the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor bird, looks like he´s really freezing. And "stoically " sums his look up, really.
    They are all so beautiful. The Blue Jay is really interested in you, such a wonderful variety, and you have Peanut´s cousin, too!
    And what a brave little bird, really landing on a human hand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning David,
    Fantastic to see what you've seen during your walks. A lot!!!! Beautiful photo's of the birds.
    Have a wonderful weekend
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  17. David - so much here to enjoy. The closest I get to a Jay at this time of year are the Canada Jays that favor the suet. Love the White-Throated Sparrow and the female Cardinal. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never seen that many robins together. Cool!
    Love all your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The White-throated Sparrow has an endearing little face with those expressive bright yellow eyebrows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to pick favourites, but it would be high on the list!

      Delete
  20. Buenos días, amigo David, maravilloso paseo de tu mano, como siempre, un esplendido reportaje y belleza de paisaje nevado con gran cantidad de avistamientos. Es hermoso ese lugar y además, cerca de tu residencia, es un trocito de paraíso y un privilegio del que sabes disfrutarlo. Las fotos de Miriam como siempre sensacionales.
    Un gran abrazo amigo y compadre, os deseo un buen fin de semana queridos amigos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The beauty of the snowy landscape is added to the precious photographs of those birds. I loved the walk!
    The chickadees and woodpeckers have a beautiful color, I also really liked seeing the squirrel.
    Many kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish that we could have a decent snow fall, David, as I'd love to be taking some photos in the snow. You and Miriam have some beautiful sightings and pictures from your walk.

    Up until recently, we had an American Robin in the south of England, and people were travelling from all over UK to see it. I'm not sure if it is still around, however, after Storm Eunice ripped through yesterday, with that area being hit the most severely.

    You mention squabbling House Sparrows. It is something that we see, and hear, less frequently these days but, when we do, the racket is near deafening!

    My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard: If you get a chance swing over to Sonjia's blog and see if you can help her with some moth ID.

      Delete
  23. Hello David,
    I enjoyed this walk and all the beautiful birds. The first heron photo is one of my favorites. Lovely photos and pretty winter scenery. I usually see the House Sparrows in the local town, they seem plentiful there. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really enjoyed that walk! I shoveled yesterday, and will have to today. I'm too tired to do a walk, though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello David, those birds wow, amazing so different and so colourful and against the white of this snow landscape it is a picture I can only dream of.
    Thank you.
    Regards from a stormy Belgium
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing your walk and beautiful birds. To answer your question on my blog about the tobacco shop, it sells tobacco, vaping products, and CBD. These stores are proliferating because Virginia law is legalizing the sale of marijuana in September so merchants are gearing up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful photo's as always. While you bundle up, I'm about to kick my shoes off to walk in the other white stuff, lol...sand. But, thought of you as I signed up for for The Hawks, Owls, and Falcons live Bird Show here on the beach. It's a weekly activity that everyone raves about. The person doing the show is apparently super knowledgeable, so am looking forward to it.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the birds of prey show. Be sure to let me no what you think of it. Even better do a blog post about it.

      Delete
  28. I agree that the very notes of the cardinal's song evoke spring. They've been singing for a while around here.

    Love the shot of the red squirrel. What a handsome fellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red squirrels are very attractive little creatures.

      Delete
  29. A lot of beautiful birds and a scenic winter landscape.
    I love the house sparrows, I remember that my grandpa used to have always at home one of them (free, not caged). Sadly here they are always less.
    Now I am at the lake and we are waiting for the arrival of the Canadian ducks from their migration.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi David - I would love to do it together ... what a brilliant location you live near ... so many gorgeous walks, with plenty of wildlife. I hope our birds have been hunkering down and will reappear once these dreaded storms have disappeared. I can happily live vicariously with you - though would prefer to be there in person spending time with you both ... cheers for now - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  31. Quelle belle série de photos, toutes plus belles les unes que les autres!
    Quelle diversité, et la végétation en fond est très sympa aussi. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  32. I do love these virtual walks with you and Miriam, you see so many birds out on your walks, I seldom see much walking here. I especially love the Sparrows, we have masses of House Sparrows here but I would love to see a Tree Sparrow or a White-throated Sparrow.
    I hope that all is well with you both, take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi David. Looks like the trails at home are quite active despite the cold and snow.
    Thanks for the great commentary and photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty stormy today, Carol, high winds and lots of snow.

      Delete
  34. Lucky you! I've yet to hear a cardinal's song, although the doves are cooing more each day. I've never seen one of your red squirrels; that one's a cutie. And I sighed with pleasure at the sight of my favorite robins in your last photo. I hope beyond hope we'll get to see them again this year; it's never a sure thing, since their paths through Texas vary from year to year.

    ReplyDelete
  35. hello David
    the bright colors of the birds is a nice contrast to the white winter landscape, I like it very much
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  36. There is much to love here, David, but as you might expect, I'm in love with that shivering heron! I'm not sure where Harry goes in the winter -- he doesn't stay here or at least isn't sighted! Maybe he went your way!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I always see a lot of beautiful birds, when I 'walk' with you. Thanks!
    Here the house sparrow is seldom as you mention. Once it was the most common bird in Denmark and now its place has been taken by Passer montanus.
    Greetings Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
  38. Feliz de hacer este recorrido contigo, el paisaje se ve precioso, especialmente con los pájaros. Abrazos para Miriam y para ti.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have a heron (probably not the same kind of heron as yours although he is also called 'blue') living just below the hill and by the river. I love this great ungainly creature with its giant bill. Whenever I creep up on it while it's fishing in the river it detects me and heaves itself up laboriously before flying off further down the river, long legs sticking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The common heron in Britain is the Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea). I suspect that is what you are seeing and deriving great delight from.

      Delete
  40. Magnificent photo reportage. Even with so much snow, beautiful and interesting birds you find on your walks. Thanks for these wonderful photos, I especially loved the perspective of the 19th photo of the Blue Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I was surprised to see the Great Blue heron sticking around in the snow and cold. It must be pretty difficult to find open water and food.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Stunning series of photos, David!

    So much to enjoy.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yes, I did enjoy this walk with you, albeit vicariously. The bird photos were fabulous, and I enjoyed the landscape pictures as well. Wouldn't it be lovely to experience it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love that you get out so much. Thank you for sharing all the beauty

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow!!! espectaculares fotos y maravillosas aves. Querido amigo es admirable ver como con tanto frío se puede disfrutar de un día genial. Un fuerte abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your walk was really good, and you saw lots of birds. You are all brave to venture out in the snow! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers