Monday, February 21, 2022

Spoonbills (Les Spatules)

      The world of birds is the most enduring aspect of my life, and from my earliest days of going to the library and borrowing books about the birds of exotic lands, I have been fascinated by their variety, colour and form. One might advocate for numerous families as being the most appealing or unique, and there can be no definitive answer to such questions of course, but I think a case could be made for Spoonbills (family: Threskiornithidae). They certainly have made an impression on me, and when I first saw one "in the feather" so to speak, my sense of wonder was only magnified.
     There are six species of Spoonbill in the world and it has been a crowning achievement to have seen them all. Miriam has been with me for five of the six, and the accounts below use her pictures and mine, even when they are not of the greatest quality. They do add authenticity, however. 
     I will cover them taxonomically, as currently classified in IOC World Bird names, Version 12.1 (20 January 2022).

Eurasian Spoonbill (Platalea leucorodia)
     

      I have but three pictures of this species, none are great, and one is even quite dreadful! The best of the three, taken at La Réserve Ornithologique du Teich is shown above. Le Teich is situated in the Arcachon Basin along the southern Atlantic coast of France, a fabulous reserve I have only visited once, to which I would gladly return for several days given the chance.
     In common with all spoonbills the male is indistinguishable from the female, although the female is usually smaller than her mate. The bird above can be seen sweeping its bill from side to side in characteristic spoonbill fashion where special sensory organs in its mouth enable it to differentiate between edible and non-edible items.

Additional picture courtesy of John "By Stargoose and Hanglands"

Black-faced Spoonbill (Platalea minor)

     This is the rarest spoonbill in the world; population estimates vary, but there is certainly less than a thousand birds remaining. Fortunately, around a third of the world population spends the non-breeding season in Hong Kong, which is where I saw them, at the renowned Mai Po Marshes and adjacent Deep Bay, overshadowed by the city of Shenzhen, China.


     Black-faced Spoonbill is a medium-sized wading bird, standing around 60 - 83 cm tall.


     Before the breeding season males and females both begin to develop patches of yellow on the head, nape and upper breast and you can see the beginning of this transformation in the picture below.


     I visited Hong Kong in late February, before the birds left for their breeding grounds on the Korean Peninsula. 
     An individual seemed to feed purposefully in one area before striding off to another place in the bay.


     
The bird below has caught a sizeable fish, which it swallowed head-first.


     Unfortunately, many industrial pollutants are discharged into Deep Bay from the industrial complex of Shenzhen, so the prey captured by the spoonbills and other birds contains harmful toxins in varying degrees.
     It is a sad reminder of our neglect and abuse of the environment and its sensitive ecosystems, that a bird whose numbers have already been reduced to precarious levels is forced to feed on contaminated organisms, jeopardizing its breeding potential and further threatening its future on Planet Earth.
     Does mankind care? Of course not!

African Spoonbill (Platalea alba)

     African Spoonbill is a medium-sized, rather stocky bird, with all white plumage, a grey spoon-shaped bill and a red face.


     Our records indicate that we came across this species on several occasions, but the only picture we have is from the Wakkerstroom Wetland Reserve in Mpumalanga Province in South Africa.

Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia)

     One of two spoonbills found in Australia, Royal Spoonbill is exceptionally handsome, especially in the breeding season when its nuptial crest becomes gloriously luxuriant. Unfortunately, although the breeding season is quite variable in southern Australia, from August through January, we did not see a bird in high plumage.
     The bird is crisp white and the sexes are slightly dimorphic with males being larger with longer legs and bills.
     Our first birds were encountered in Centennial Park in Sydney, NSW.


     On this individual you can see the patch of ochre-yellow that develops above the eye.


     The next time we met up with this species it was at the Tamar Wetland near Launceston, Tasmania, where a small group congregated close to a reed bed. 


     Such gatherings are often referred to as bachelor clubs, even though both sexes may be included.


     In addition to the yellow patch above the eye, birds develop a patch of dull red skin at the top of the forehead and this may be seen below on the bird on the right.


     Chestnut Teal (Anas castanea) and Australasian Swamphen (Porphyrio melanotus) were not reluctant to join the spoonbills.


     Formerly quite rare in Tasmania it is now a breeding species in the island state.


     We were fortunate indeed to view this group at close quarters.

Yellow-billed Spoonbill (Platalea flavipes)

     The second of Australia's spoonbills is every bit as splendid as the first. 


     We saw a small group of them on Philip Island in the state of Victoria. 
     These birds were transitioning into breeding plumage with a ruff of pale yellow feathers around the base of the neck. More than a hundred feathers may comprise a typical ruff. A thin line of black skin frames the face - very attractive in my estimation.


     Yellow-billed Spoonbill is quite tall as spoonbills go with mature males up to 92 cm.
     Generally feeding is accomplished in a sweeping motion with the bill slightly below the surface, but sometimes a deeper exploration is called for.


     Aquatic invertebrates and small fish comprise the principal part of the spoonbill diet. 

Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)

     This is the most colourful of the spoonbills.


     It is widespread from Florida, USA south through Central America and as far south as northern Argentina. It is also found on Cuba, Hispaniola, the Bahamas and adjacent islands.
     We have seen this bird in several different countries, the above picture being taken in Costa Rica, along the Río Tarcoles, Puntarenas Province, where the bird is quite common.
     A flyover at Caño Negro, Alajuela Province was a spectacular sight.



     Of all the areas where we have located Roseate Spoonbill, the Ciénaga de Zapata, that great wetland in Cuba, second only to the Everglades in area in the Americas, contained the greatest population.


     There were times when a hundred or more birds would be present, often feeding in mixed parties of herons, egrets, ibises and other wading birds.


     An American White Ibis (Eudocimus albus) can be seen above, seemingly watching two Roseate Spoonbills performing their toilette!
    A spoonbill is both elegant and bizarre at the same time!


     Roseate Spoonbill was at one time emblematic of the Florida Everglades; sadly this is no longer the case. While it still may be found there, changes to the hydrology of the region, increasing saline levels in the water, and increasing depth of coastal feeding areas rendering them unsuitable for spoonbills, have all combined to reduce the population dramatically. 
     Enjoy another picture from Cuba!


     I have fond memories of my last visit there, staying in small Cuban homes with friendly people who were willing to share their scarce resources with us. These people have been impacted by the embargos for so long that many commodities are almost impossible to find. Clothing left behind is greatly appreciated; we have so much, they have so little.
     Cuban friendship, fresh seafood, rum at $4.00 a bottle, and Roseate Spoonbills. Maybe it's time to think about a return visit! 



David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

78 comments:

  1. The Roseate Spoonbill is my favorite Florida bird...if I had to choose a favorite. We rarely see one in the wild but they are quite unique! Love seeing all of your photos of the different ones. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most certainly well-traveled and fortunate, indeed, to have been in the presence of such remarkable birds in remarkable parts of the globe. Frightening to think there would be only 1000 of any such creature. The Roseate Spoonbill is truly a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They made a similar deep impression on my young self, but that was at a time when they had almost disappeared from our islands and I had to make do with looking at the illustration in The Observers' Book Of Birds. Now after so many years they are making a comeback to these shores. I wrote a post on them back in August, if you want to use a photo from there you are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John ... excellent to see David has included one of your photos - and for telling us here they've started to return to these shores. I'm going visit/revisit your post ... cheers to you both - Hilary

      Delete
    2. It's a great shot too, Hilary. I appreciated John's kindness.

      Delete
  4. ...I looked and looked and had trouble finding the one which is even quite dreadful! Thanks for sharing birds that are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello David,
    Great post on the Spoonbills. You are lucky to have seen all 6 Spoonbills during your travels.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't realized there were so many species of spoonbills. I have seen roseate spoonbills here a handfull of times flying over and have never had the opportunity to observe them feeding. A pleasure to see your photos and read your description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I was able to introduce you to some new species, Wilma.

      Delete
  7. Hello David,:=) As always I learn so much from your detailed account of the wild life you see on your travels on your home turf, and abroad. I had no idea there are six different species of Spoonbill. The ones I'm most familiar with are the Eurasian and the Roseate Spoonbill.The in flight shots of the Roseate Spoonbill are so beautiful, and all your photo's are in sharp focus especially your last shot which is spectacular.
    Thank you for a lesson on the Spoonbills of this planet, and long may they prosper.
    My good wishes,
    Hugs from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those spoonbills are amazing! I love the pink ones the most.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful and unique bird, the Roseate Spoonbill is stunning. I enjoyed reading this post and learning more about the Spoonbills. Thanks, David and all the photos were very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello David,
    The Sponbills are very spescial and beautiful birds. As always very good photos of them.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! Very nice post! <3

    www.pimentamaisdoce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hari Om
    How wonderful to be able to say you have seen all with the naked eye... I can claim the two Aussie ones, but that is it! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are so beautiful and Roseate Spoonbill are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your fascination with the Spoonbills and that you have gone all in to see them in such different places so far away. Once I saw one in Camargue in France - maybe you know the place.
    Greetings Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camargue is famous with nature lovers throughout the world, Lisbeth.

      Delete
  15. En rose je ne connaissais pas!Ils sont beaux ces oiseaux avec leur bec étrange. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  16. Buenas noches, amigo David, gracias por mostrarnos tanta belleza, desconocía por completo las diferentes espátulas que has publicado, son de una extraordinaria belleza.
    Esa maldita contaminación deberían solucionar, es una especie de muy pocos ejemplares como para permitirse el lujo de que pueda desaparecer.
    UN gran abrazo amigo y compadre David.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so intrigued by these beautiful spoonbills. As you might expect, I love the flashy pink one the best, but truly, they are all beautiful. How lovely to have spotted them in so many wonderful places in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is a quiet beauty of the spoonbills.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely tribute to one of the most fascinating bird species on our planet! How truly fortunate to be able to have observed each of these.

    We are quite lucky to have Roseate Spoonbills as local residents. Hoping a planned trip to the Everglades later this year materializes and perhaps we can get an up close and personal idea as to this bird's current status.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those royal spoonbills are quite attractive with the blue on their bills. It's interesting how there isn't a lot of blue in nature compared to other colors. So when you see it, it is really captivating. I've roseate spoonbills in Florida, and their colors really catch your eye. I do like the pink. I wonder why pink birds evolved that color, as I am guessing they are naturally pink, not like flamingos. Thanks for sharing your travels with birds. It is really an interesting read. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  21. Spoonbills are wonderful. No wonder herons and egrets hang out with them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are a wonder with those beaks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are fascinating birds! I didn't realize there were so many varieties, much less that some of them were other than all white. The coloring during breeding season is interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Spoonbills are so fascinating. I have only ever seen one bird - a Royal Spoonbill that was standing in a small pond. They are known to breed here, but are rarely seen (they originally arrived from Australia). It is a memory I cherish :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, I learn a lot here. We have really a boring, very small variety (they are cute, though, too).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful shots, the pink spoonbills remind me of the orange feathers of the flamingos. I was lucky enough to see them in Sardinia in the Mediterranean, which made me very happy.
    And your report from Cuba reminds me of my childhood, youth and growing up in the GDR. There were a lot of limitations and shortages, but also a lot of luck, but the greatest happiness, in addition to health, is being able to travel. So I wish you many wonderful journeys and experiences
    together with Miriam in areas with a great variety of bird life.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi David.

    I also think it's a great bird.
    I've never seen that pink one.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for the introduction to the amazing creatures. Isn’t evolution wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Son unas aves preciosas, por aquí he visto algunas de ellas. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The roseate and black face spoon bills are the best. Have not seen any spoonbills before so this is quite a treat. The black of the face n bills are so in contrast wth the whiteness of the body.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you, David, for such an informative, and beautifully illustrated post on such a wonderful group of birds. Sadly, I have only ever encountered the Eurasian Spoonbill, and could count the number of those encounters on the fingers of one hand, only having photographed them on two occasions!

    With my very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very beautiful shades of white birds!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've neve heard of these birds, but they are beautiful. Thanks for all the infos. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fascinating birds, I haven't been lucky enough to see the spoonbills yet.
    Thanks to share with us your deep knowledge of these beautiful animals.
    About the pollution, in the past I was member of an Environmental Committee and an important task of ours has always been the protection of the birds that live near the estuaries and the coasts.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have had many sightings of one of the six! And for a relatively untraveled and very amateur birder I consider that lucky. (Even though the quality of most of my pictures is on the par with your first picture of a different species. Or worse.) A perfect picture of a roseate spoonbill is one of my photo goals. ... I really enjoyed this post and photos or not, some of my best memories are watching these birds and their interesting feeding habits. Thanks to you and Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly well positioned to see them during your winter sojourn in Florida, Sallie.

      Delete
  36. I've not seen one. Thank you for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I had no idea there were so many Spoonbill species. They're all quite elegant; how wonderful that you've been lucky enough to travel to see them all. I happened across several this past weekend, feeding together in the marshes. I've noticed the White Ibis hanging around with them every time I encounter them. I wondered if it might be an example of commensal feeding.

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are beautiful birds which we don't get to see. Enjoy your photos of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks David and Miriam for the photos and explanations ... interesting to see all the species - set out so clearly for us. I've never seen them in person ... but have always enjoyed watching them whenever a tv clip appears. Fascinating to see their appearances at different times in their life cycle ... wonderful post - enjoyed it very much - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  40. I had no idea of all the different species of Spoonbills, and my favourite is the Roseate Spoonbill. You have certainly been lucky to have seen all 6 species and have plenty of great photos to show us. Thanks David

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful photos of the spoonbills. We have only the white one. I like them. I hope to see them soon again. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a treat to see these photos. I don't post the birds I see on my blog but on FB. Here in Memphis we don't get exotic birds, and because I'm in an urban area the variety isn't what I'd wish for, but I enjoy bird-watching -even virtually :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe sometime you'll sneak the odd bird picture onto your blog. I hope so!

      Delete
  43. I learned a few things, thank you! There has been one roseate hanging around with the egrets this winter at the state park and we always hunt for him as he turns up in different places. They draw a lot of birders to this park as they pretty accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Excellent post, with all the species of spoonbills in the world, that I can only see in books like All the Birds of the World or Storks, Ibises and Spoonbills of the World. Without a doubt, the one I like the most and the one I have the most affection for is the roseate spoonbill, the only one I know and that gives me so much satisfaction when I see it and take photos and videos of it.
    Un abrazo fuerte, amigo David

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello David,
    You are indeed very lucky to have met all the paddlefish species that exist. I'm following you, I'm missing two species ;-)))
    I recognize well the environment of Le Teich. It was my headquarters before.
    Mankind doesn't care about anything, my poor David. Sometimes I think it's better to live with my eyes closed because I get depressed quickly because of humanity.
    Big kisses my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever I am fortunate to return to France, I will insist that you take me there!

      Delete
  46. Good evening David,
    The spoonbill is a fantastic bird to see. We have a lot of them not far away from where I live.
    Have a wonderful evening
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love this post. The only Spoonbills I have seen were also at Arcachon.
    Hope all is well, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  48. Fantastic post, David. I enjoyed your spoonbill tutorial, and happily, I can say I have seen a Roseate Spoonbill here in Florida. Sadly, it was not in the wild, but in a wildlife sanctuary where they give residence to permanently injured and non-releasable birds. I have seen quite a few white ibis in natural settings, which is quite a treat to this New Jersey native!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best places I found in Florida for Roseate Spoonbill were down at the tip near Flamingo, but I am pretty sure that population has collapsed, and at Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island, where they may still occur.

      Delete
  49. Interesting post! Glad you were able to see so many spoonbills.

    ReplyDelete
  50. How lovely to have seen them all, especially the Black-faced, it's always so disheartening to read how little the environment is thought of, of course it's always done to money :/

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great collection. Especially that last one. So many. Such an odd bill shape.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Rather envious. I've only seen one in a captive/semi-captive situation.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I enjoyed seeing all of the Spoonbills, I think the Roseate Spoonbill is my favourite.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  54. David - incredible that you have seen all six species. I was fascinated to read about them, and where you saw these spectacular creatures. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi David,
    I didn't know that there are so many kinds of spoonbills. Of course the Eurasian spoonbill is the most familiar for me. Not too far from where I live there is a colony, where I have observed and photographed them many times. The other one I have seen is the Roseate spoonbill. I have seen them in Costa Rica many years ago. Maybe I have seen spoonbills in Africa but I don't remember that anymore.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hello David,
    Great message about the spoonbills.
    I think these are beautiful birds and the colors are amazing.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi David,
    interesting post; I didn't know there are so many different spoonbills. They move in such a special way, probably because of this heavy spoonbill. The roseate ones are very beautiful; once I saw them in a zoo in Spain; they are somewhat smaller than 'our' white ones.

    Best regards, Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi David,
    Wow, Beauiful Birds, Great that you were able to observe so many different spoonbills.
    Interesting Post with beautiful pictures.
    Greetings, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hello David, I knew that there are some different kind of Spoonbills but this post of yours is an eye opener for me. So many different kind of Spoonbills is amazing. Thank you for sharing.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is a joy to have seen them all, Roos. Best regards, David.

      Delete
  60. Wonderful photos. You always have such fabulous posts. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Querido amigo estupenda entrada donde podemos disfrutar de una gran información. Aquí en alguna ocasión las vemos, pero no tengo idea de cuales son. Las fotos son preciosas y me asombra las diferentes especies de esta curiosa ave. Un fuerte abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I had tried to leave a comment on this a few days ago, but Google gave me an error message. Great photos of these beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Wow, this really is a huge and beautiful variety.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers