Monday, February 14, 2022

Dippers (Les Cincles)

      Once in a while, quite often actually, Miriam and I will reminisce about the exciting habitats around the globe we have been privileged to experience, and the birds we have seen. I am quite sure that this tendency has been accentuated by restrictions imposed by COVID and the consequent inability to travel. Armchair reminiscence is a great panacea. 
     There are five species of dipper (Cinclidae) in the world and we have spent time with four of them. They are very entertaining little birds, known as dippers due to their habit of bouncing up and down, or dipping. We are especially fond of dippers, and Miriam suggested I do a small piece on my blog. That seemed like a great idea!
    I will cover them in the order in which we have seen them, using our own images, even though for two of the species we have but a single picture and not of sterling quality. For the fifth species I have used a photograph from the internet.

American Dipper (Cinclus mexicanus)

Find a fall or a casade, or a rushing rapid, anywhere upon a clear stream and there you will surely find its complimentary ouzel, flitting about in the spring, dining in the foaming eddies, whirling like a leaf among the foam-bells; ever vigorous and enthusiastic, yet self-contained and neither seeking nor shunning your company.....He is the mountain stream's own darling, the hummingbird of blooming waters, loving rocky ripple slopes and sheets of foam as a bee loves flowers, and a lark loves sunshine and meadows.
John Muir

     Dippers have been successful colonists throughout the world, and there are few areas with suitable habitat where they are not present. Sadly, eastern North America is one of them, and we can only see this species when we visit the western regions of the continent. We often joke, when we pass a rapidly-flowing stream, highly-oxygenated, with suitable rocks, that we should keep an eye out for a dipper. Wishful thinking indeed.
     I first saw American Dipper near Estes Park, CO, USA many years ago, but the location where we have enjoyed the most prolonged and intimate contact has been at Goldstream Park on Vancouver Island, one of my favourite spots in the entire world.


     On our last visit there one very cooperative individual patrolled a section of a stream, and performed just about every behaviour you can imagine, and remained with us for fifteen or twenty minutes.


     The nictitating membrane is used to protect the eye from objects that might cause harm.


     This individual was feeding actively and often emerged from the water with an insect or larvae to eat, gobbled down before we could get a picture.


     I know exactly where we had this fortunate encounter, and Miriam and I have pledged to return to Vancouver Island as soon as normal travel is restored. You know where we will be headed!


White-throated Dipper (Cinclus cinclus)

     I think that a good case could be made that this is the most attractive of the five species of dipper.


     Miriam and I count ourselves fortunate to have seen this bird in four different countries. In order they are England, France, Spain and Slovenia.
     I remember well our first encounter in the Peak District of Derbyshire in England, watching two birds seemingly taking turns plunging into the frigid waters to search for caddis or mayfly nymphs, well protected by a protective "envelope" of air surrounding their feathers. In addition their feathers are heavily oiled so that water runs off. It was rare that they came up without food.
     The bird below was seen during our last visit to the UK, in Co. Durham.


     It's a distant shot but I find it very appealing since it shows classic dipper habitat so well.
     At Crampagna in France, this juvenile appeared to have claimed a territory, and we were able to locate the bird along a predictable stretch of river each time we visited.


     It shared the river with several fly-fishermen in chest waders, standing in the rapids, but seemed to ignore their presence completely.



     We stayed for a week in Bagá in Catalonia, in the heart of the Pyrenees, and there was a dipper under the bridge in town. I could reliably go down to spend a little time with it each morning.


     In Central Slovenia we hunted and hunted, visiting several areas where the habitat seemed perfect, but it took us until late in the afternoon before we finally came across our quarry.



Brown Dipper (Cinclus pallasii)

     Similar in habits to the above two species, this large, uniformly brown species found across Asia, plunges into rapids and cataracts without hesitation, seeking food by walking along the streambed.
     We saw this species only once, high in the Himalayas, near Punakha, Bhutan.


     The bird at the right of the two dippers appears to be a Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos) known to breed alongside high mountains streams and rivers.

White-capped Dipper (Cinclus leucocephalus)

     The two species found in South America exhibit wing-flicking behaviour, as well as or instead of the usual bobbing of the body, and rarely cock their tails.
Furthermore, they have a different feeding strategy from the three species covered above, rarely, if ever, diving underwater and preferring to wade belly deep, picking prey from rocks and the surface of the water.
     We saw White-capped Dipper only once, near Papallacta in Ecuador, along a raging torrent of a mountain stream, shared appropriately enough with Torrent Ducks (Merganetta armata). It is perhaps because of competition with Torrent Ducks for sub-surface prey that South American dippers have adopted a surface-feeding strategy.


Rufous-throated Dipper (Cinclus schulzi)

     This is the species of dipper that I have not seen, and it is doubtful (unfortunately) that, at this stage of my life, I ever will. It is found in a restricted area in northern Argentina and southern Bolivia, in remote areas not easy to access. 


     I have enjoyed putting together this little piece on dippers and reliving in my mind some of the grand adventures involved in seeing them. I hope you will equally enjoy reading about them.    
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

65 comments:

  1. ...David, your knowledge amazes me! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I hope you will equally enjoy reading about them."

    I certainly did thank you.
    Your words and photographs made a delightful read.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've spent time remembering our travels during the pandemic too - but no Dippers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    ...prompted by a certain photo lacking any dippers perhaps? LOL... there are dippers at Killin, but never where my lens pointed! They are fun birds to watch - and I greatly enjoyed your trip around the globe with this one wee fella. (A correction, though; Derbyshire has the Peak District. The Lake District is found in Cumbria.) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being so observant, YAM. I knew that too. I will make the correction right away.

      Delete
  5. Lovely little birds. I have never actually seen any of the dippers, but I still aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely presentation. Lovely bird. I'm sorry I will never see one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of dippers, but never have seen one, so thanks for this informative post. I will have to be on the lookout for one next time I try somewhere they might be. This pandemic has made traveling so difficult, I can understand why you and Miriam talk previous travels. I pull out journals and photo books, especially a lot lately. It's time to get going again, isn't it? You've been to some exciting places, so if you ever feel inclined to share a photo or 2...Happy new week David. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be entranced the first time you see a dipper, Erika.

      Delete
  8. Not sure that I have ever seen so many different kinds of dippers over here. They are beautiful and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and Miriam have richly paced memory banks - which are riches worth hoarding. thanks for sharing some of the joy and the wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time reading about dippers. Only nature can produce that ashy grey colour in the American Dipper - not too dark and just right tone. Your photos on the white-throated dipper showed how sure footed this bird is in the gushing waters and the white capped dipper is practically feeding on a perpendicular surface. An interesting read and an addition to my bird notes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was only dimly aware of there being other Dippers besides the ones we see in the UK. I've seen them in pretty much every area of upland Britain but a couple of years ago one spent a few weeks on a sluggish stream in the next village to mine - I've no idea why. Thanks for introducing me to the rest of the Dipper family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen this bird you call White-throated Dipper David, but is called Norwegian national bird here.
    It is a very beautiful bird.
    Kiss and hugs, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're really cute. White-throated Dipper is the only one we have in Denmark as we have more or less no suitable habitats. I grew up in an area with White-throated Dipper but have only seen it a few times since I grew up and moved. I think it is the prettiest - followed by the white capped.
    Cross my fingers that you suddenly get at chance to wake up in northern Argentina.
    Hugs Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has been far too long since I last saw a Dipper, David, and this post from you has given me the resolve to rectify that this coming summer, as this is a bird thaat I could sit and watch for hours - given half a chance! Your second picture of the White-throated Dipper is somewhat better than mine, taken at the same time, and was at Low Force, near Middleton in Teesdale, Co. Durham (not Northumberland).

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this, Richard. I will make the correction.

      Delete
  15. Hi David, I love dippers, they are attractive birds and the way they search, dive and swim is amazing. I was lucky to see them a few times in Holland and in the Czech republic, but only the Cinclus cinclus. You're lucky to have seen the other species aswell, except for the last one which I think is beautiful. But you'll never know...

    Big hug,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,
    I wish we could see the Dippers here. I have seen them in the westerns states. Beautiful photos.
    Take care, enjoy your day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cela donne un joli reportage sur ces petits oiseaux, bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post on the different types of dippers. They are beautiful birds. I wish I could see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Needless to say, my eastern Canadian self has never seen a dipper. I am in awe of this creature though. Thank you for the introduction, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time we visit Vancouver Island we'll let you know, Marie, and meet you there!

      Delete
  20. I have never seen a Dipper and if I did, I probably wouldn't realize it. It's amazing reading about these birds in your post. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos, info and the lesson on the Dippers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think I've seen a dipper. These are fun. Our kids in Vancouver are talking about visiting. They are happy travelers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was so interesting! Such pretty, busy little birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The last bird has a charm that makes it unique.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How wonderful to be able to compare Dippers from around the world. Your extensive travels must give you hours and hours of pleasant memories.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos of the dipper. You travelled a lot in Europe. They are in Germany too but I never saw them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you know of a location where they occur, they are not difficult to find, Caroline, once you are in suitable habitat.

      Delete
  26. I have never seen the dippers. However I have gone to check on my books: these birds have their habitat in Italy too but they are always less.
    Thanks for this report.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello David,
    Fanastic that you've seen this beautiful birds. Great captured.
    Have a wonderful evening
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  28. These birds look so pretty. I must confess that I have never heard of them! Have a wonderful day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a variety of dippers I learned a lot and let us hope I remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your header. What a great photo! The White Throated Dipper is really striking with that clean white patch.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Interesting your presentation on this species of dippers through various excursions around the world, a beautiful memory and very well compiled.
    Many kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi David.

    What a nice species this is.
    They are beautiful.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a pretty little fellow. Birds are wonderful creatures.

    Take good care.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Una entrada preciosa amigo mío, no sabía la diversidad de mirlos existentes. El último es precioso y el garganta blanca también, me encantan esos bellos mirlos.
    Recordar esos viajes y como se realizaron las imágenes siempre es motivo de alegría. Gracias siempre por compartir tanta belleza.
    Un gran abrazo amigo profesor y compadre David.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for the armchair trip around the world to introduce me to these special little dippers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just imagine what you might have seen during all your peregrinations, Amy, had you been a birder.

      Delete
  36. I must admit that the White throated dipper appeals to me the most. Very pretty bird.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great looking birds. I don't think I've ever seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Bonjour David,
    C'est vrai que le Cincle plongeur est très beau mais finalement le cincle à gorge blanche me plait aussi beaucoup.
    Avoir rencontré tous ces cincles est superbe !
    Bonne soirée David.
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have watched nature documentaries with these little birds - fascinating :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This made me laugh - we have a dipper right here! It might be #6!
    They are not sold anymore, I think, they were popular in the 70´s. You have a glass of water and the fake bird, once dipped into the water keeps dipping - there even was a The Simpsons episode with that!
    Hope you soon can see #5 for real.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I do not think I have ever seen a dipper. I checked my South African list and they are only found in Morocco. When we visited there, even if I had of seen one, I did not have a decent camera and I probably would never have recognised it. The areas they are seen here also are places it appears that I have not been to. If we ever manage to get to our Italian holiday which was cancelled in 2020 maybe I can find one there!
    Interesting post. I love your header photo. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane:
      I don't know how far you are from Crampgana but the dipper there was easy to find. We saw an adult there too but it flew upstream before we could get a picture. Any rapidly flowing mountain stream in the Pyrenees should have dippers.

      Delete

  42. Hey dear! Loved your post and allready followed your blog, i want invite you to visit and follow my blog back <3

    www.pimentamaisdoce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've never heard of the Dippers. Their behavior is entrancing, and that White-throated Dipper certainly is attractive. I have a friend who lives in Ecuador: an artist who is especially devoted to birds. I'll have to ask her if she's seen a Dipper. Since she travels a bit in search of different species, it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shouldn't be hard to find in the torrents in the Andes.

      Delete
  44. I am always so impressed with your posts. Have a wonderful day today.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm not a birding guy but the world of birds continues to amaze me. I had never heard of dippers, now I have, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hello David, I love the dipper, although I have never heard of a white one. I don't have them near me but I saw many on my frequent trips to Wales. Nice shots of an interesting bird. Take care.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hello David, :=) So sorry for my late visit. The Dipper is one of the most entertaining birds to watch. It's dipping and bobbing is delightful behaviour.I enjoyed reading about your various trips around the world, and the different kinds of Dippers that you saw and photographed. I didn't know there are five different species, and learnt a lot about their behaviour and looks.
    An entertaining and enlightening post David, about a bird I'm particularly fond of.
    Hugs from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Son unos pájaros preciosos, que por aquí hay bastante, pero que nunca he visto. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi David,
    Dippers are interesting and fascinating birds. They used to visit us during the winter time but unfortunately I haven't seen them for a couple of years now. I guess you were delighted to see four different kinds. I was already lucky to observe the white-throated one.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  50. En España tenemos una serie de rutas para avistar aves, increíbles. La que cruza por el centro las tierras de Castilla y León, a la vez que se hace el Camino de Santiago, tiene parajes inolvidables como la provincia de Palencia, llenos de arte románico y lugares donde una gastronomía potente hace las delicias del viajero.
    El mundo está lleno de bellezas, David. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Eso es buena amigo. Cuando recordamos, volvemos a vivir esos momentos. Gracias por tanto que nos compartes.
    Miriam David que paséis un buen fin de semana.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love stepping around the world through your blog and the introduction to the Dipper is a happy bonus of that!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi David - great thoughts about reminiscing with Miriam on your trips to various parts of the world. I was pleased to note Diane's comment about them only being found in Morocco and not the rest of Africa.

    Wonderful tour around ... delightful little birds ... they'll stay in my memory after reading about them here - thank you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  54. Blogger won't let me reply so I just wanted to say I agree with your comment you left on my Japan blog today. Thanks goodness Biden is president, and I feel bad for those people in Ukraine. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  55. Dippers are one of my favourite and, here on Lewis, unfortunately very elusive, birds.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers