Saturday, May 09, 2020

Recent Events in Our World

     We are not venturing too far afield these days, but we do get out every day, so I will show you some of what we have been seeing on recent outings, and also the life in our backyard.

03 May 2020
SpruceHaven, St. Agatha, ON

     Normally, by now we would be in full gear at SpruceHaven, monitoring the Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) colony, banding migrants and many other activities. This year, for obvious reasons, little is happening, but we have initiated our regular checks of the nest boxes and we keep our eyes open for other happenings in the restored grassland, the woodlot and on the pond.
     For several years we have been fortunate to have a breeding pair of Green Herons (Butorides virescens) and I was very happy to note that two birds are back at the pond this year.



     It is a great privilege to be able to watch these birds in such close proximity.
     Tree Swallows (Tachycineta bicolor) have returned in good numbers and we are thrilled that some of the nest boxes are already occupied by these aerial (and dazzling) superstars.



     This female Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) was doubtless waiting for an opportunity to deposit her egg in the nest of some hapless host.


     While I was doing my rounds I was able to locate the nest of a Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina), a frequent host for Brown-headed Cowbird, so I will be sure to check tomorrow to see whether the cowbird has been able to hijack this nest. 

05 May 2020
Our Backyard, Waterloo, ON

     A visit from a Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) was a pleasant surprise on one of the few days when it has been pleasant enough to sit outside.


     Actually, as Miriam was photographing one butterfly it was joined by a second.
     White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) has been entertaining us for several days.....


          .....and today it was joined by its congener,  White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys), passing through on its way to the far north.



     To my eyes, the white stripes on the head of a White-crowned Sparrow always seem to be the brightest white of any species I know. It is by all accounts a very handsome little bird.
     Grey Squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis) are the resident rogues of the garden, whose sole purpose in life I am quite sure, is to thwart every attempt I make to keep them from stealing seed from the bird feeders. So far their success rate has been 100%. But it's only been fifty years of warfare after all; give me a little time.


     At least a male House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) was getting his share from this feeder.


05 May 2020
Fountain Street Bridge, Cambridge, ON

     The resident Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) was clearly tugging away at a fish and appeared to be feeding young, but we could not be sure, until an eaglet reared up from the well of the nest so that we could see it clearly. 


     Now that is about as obliging as it gets!


     These photographs are taken from a considerable distance, but we have no desire to get closer and risk disturbing the birds. I suspect that they are used to traffic but actual human intrusion would be another thing entirely.
     We know of several successful eagle nests in the area and it is a measure of the recovery of this magnificent creature that it now verges on common around here. It is not so many years ago, in the United States, that people were paid a bounty for every eagle they killed. How you can declare a bird your National Symbol, and then pay people to kill it, is just a little beyond me.

05 May 2020
Grass Lake, Cambridge, ON


     This is one of our favourite local spots, and as we often do, we took along a thermos of coffee and  blueberry muffins, to enjoy while watching Bobolinks (Dolichonyx oryzivorus).
     


     What an amazing bird this is, spending its entire life on the grasslands of the Americas. I can tell you that the coffee and muffins, eaten together while birding always taste superb, far better than at home, but to have this bird singing to us mere metres away made it all the more special. I may rename the muffin Bobolink Bun! 
     And our first Savannah Sparrows (Passerculus sandwichensis) of the year joined in the chorus too.



     Eastern Bluebirds (Sialia sialis) breed in this area, as do Tree Swallows and it is a good place to compare the different blues of the plumage of these two passerines.



     A male Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) trying to impress a female is a spectacular event to witness.


     As a sympathetic male, I was happy that the  female seemed at least a little interested. 


     She didn't fly away in any event, so perhaps their tryst was consummated when we retired from view.
     Skunk Cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus) was emerging everywhere.


     This is a very interesting plant. Heat produced by emerging Skunk Cabbage can actually melt snow and raise the temperature inside the spathe. The elevated temperature releases the odour of putrid flesh which attracts pollinators to the plant. I have been in swamps densely populated by Skunk Cabbage where the smell is sufficiently strong to induce vomiting in those with a low tolerance for such putrescence. The plant is appropriately named!

05 May 2020
Small Wetland on Dumfries Road, Cambridge, ON

     On a previous outing we had been very excited to find a pair of Trumpeter Swans (Cygnus buccinator) on a small wetland and we were ecstatic to discover that they had initiated breeding.


     The female sat tight on the nest.....



     The male patrolled the length and breadth of the water, ready to take on any intruder foolhardy enough to try to dislodge the female and steal the eggs.



     Woe betide any interloper that even gets too close.
     It will be a special joy to see the cygnets, perhaps as early as our next visit.
     As a bonus a Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) was foraging across the wetland.


06 May 2020
Colombia Lake, Waterloo, ON

     I was unable to determine whether this Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) was sitting on a nest, or simply resting on the shore, and since I did not wish to disturb the bird I still don't know!



07 May 2020
Ellesmere Storm Water Management Area, Waterloo, ON

     Unusually, I have rarely observed Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) at the pond this year, so I was delighted to see this individual.


07 May 2020
Conservation Meadows Storm Water Management Area, Waterloo, ON

     Canada Goose (Branta canadensis), as people the world over know, is a highly successful species, and local ponds, lakes, streams, wetlands - almost anywhere with water - are now home to successful breeders with their young.



07 May 2020
Killbear Storm Water Management Area, Waterloo, ON

     Most Mallards (Anas platyrynchos) seen at this time of the year are males, for the simple reason that females are hidden from view incubating eggs.


07 May 2020
Beaver Creek Road, Waterloo, ON

     I was struck by how much this pair of geese resembled the push-me-pull-you animals of Dr. Doolittle.



08 May 2020
Three Bridges Road, St. Jacobs, ON

     It was exhilarating to discover our first Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) of the season.



     And a Great Blue Heron worked the shallows mere metres from the bridge across the Conestogo River.


08 May 2020
Bricker School Line, Wallenstein, ON

     On a solo walk a few days earlier I had found three Palm Warblers (Setophaga palmarum) but Miriam had still to find her first of the spring. She was delighted, therefore,  to discover this one, albeit mostly hidden as it foraged on the ground.


     We knew of a Canada Goose on a nest and checked to see whether babies had emerged from the eggs, but she was still sitting tight.


     I expect the big event will happen any day now.

     As you may clearly see we keep busy doing exactly what we enjoy the most, and though the scope of our travels has diminished, the joy we feel from nature has not. And nor will it ever, that I can promise you.
     Until the next time.........
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

61 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Well, that wasn't a bad haul of feathers considering the restrictions!!! Nicely done, you two. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your close to home is exotica to me. I have scrolled up, I have scrolled down, I have marvelled.
    Many, many thanks to you and Miriam.
    And yes, while it seems odd to pay people to kill your National Bird, here in Australia we eat both of our National emblems, something which I hope is a unique trait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God made amazing creatures! The sizes, colors, habitats...what diversity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many great pictures David. The Green Herons are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many birds in this post. Love it! I’d love to see the finch! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so many wonderful birds over there and so many colourful ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an amazing list of birds so close to home. And outstanding pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great variety of birds!
    I love the ones with vivid colorful patches: the eastern blue birds, the red-winged black bird, the white-crowned sparrow, the bobolink, the house finch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you guys could get out and do what you enjoy, it is easy to do social distancing and still be completely happy! I enjoyed seeing all the birds you shared, and especially the nesting Swan and the Bobolink. Many times I hear them but never get a photo as they hide down in the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An exhilarating post. I can't begin to mention all I loved. Herons. Swallows. The blue bird. Rose breasted grosbeak. Did I mention the blue bird....This post is a do over. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good evening, David, how are you!
    That plant, by God, is so rare jaja XD nature is amazing! All these birds are spectacular and the photographs are very sharp; but my "madness", my love and my passion go to the swans. I have always wondered why there isn´tt in my country. Where there´re swans there is magic, there is charm, there is sublime beauty. So indolent and magnificent they reveal themselves perfuming the air
    with its glamorous wake. Definitivamente, this post has the charm of an old tale ♥ ♥ ♥
    Gran abrazo desde Buenos Aires, querido amigo. Feliz noche de sabado y un hermoso domingo para usted y los suyos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The love you two have for nature shines through in your photos, making them a joy to behold.
    You almost inspire me to grab my camera and go looking for birds to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi David. you have seen so many exciting birds this week, wow! Not to mention that lovely squirrel! It's always interesting to see all the different birds you have over there, and you even still have some Canada geese, amazing, I thought they were all over here! But I hope that stink cabbage never starts growing on my balcony! Thanks for taking us on your travels! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for every gift I discovered in every photo!
    Have a glorious day, David!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful set of bird images, some nice to look at than others.
    You are both lucky to be able to go out everyday and see your birds, and lucky they call at your home to pay a visit and feed :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. De nombreuses observations, tout ces animaux sont superbes. C'est sympa le chou qui sent mauvais mdr :D
    Chez moi je vois les mésanges, queue rousse et rouge gorge avec le bec plein d'insectes mais je ne sais pas où sont les nids, ils attendent que je parte pour y aller.
    Les hirondelles sont belles, je trouve le gros bec très sympa aussi.
    Et l'écureuil bien mignon, cela fait longtemps que je n'en ai pas vu ici.
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice suprise, to see a Green Heron, beautiful. And, the Bobolink, a fine specimen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gran reportaje de extraordinaria belleza amigo David ¡y todo tan cerca! es un gran privilegio poder contemplar semejante esplendor que nos ofrece la Madre Naturaleza. No llego a entender cómo es posible que pagaran por matar un águila que además representa un símbolo nacional, no cabe en cabeza humana, simplemente ¡¡horrible!!
    Un fuerte abrazo mis queridos amigos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of peace and lots of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gran variedad, de preciosas aves han hecho muy agradable esta entrada, aunque no hay que olvidar una maraposa y una ardilla, que también han sodo objeto de esta completa serie.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, David,

    What a wonderful post, gorgeous collection of birds and butterfly. Going out for a walk and to see the birds is something I enjoy too. It is hard to pick a favorite, I have so many. Awesome photos. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi David.

    Great to have so much beauty in your area.
    Many beautiful birds.
    This is enjoyment.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have the best birding times out there! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's always impressive to see your many pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi David, you and Miriam have provided a wonderful birding expedition from the comfort of my desktop, thanks! We often saw green herons on the VA eastern shore, our former residence. Currently, there are a pair of swans nesting very near where we live but too far distant to get any photos on a camera without a zoom lens 😟.

    Also, thanks for the comment on my blog post for today. I can understand that some "holidays" are not ones that are joyful for all. Thanks for sharing your very personal experience. Some holidays have way too much hype and only sad memories for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your picture of the Bobolink reminded me of a time in early spring many years ago when my new husband and I were out for a drive on a Sunday afternoon in East Texas and we were passing a meadow that was alive with Bobolinks. I insisted that we stop and I sat for a long time just watching and listening to those wonderful birds. It was the first time I had seen a Bobolink and maybe Bob's first clue that he had married a crazy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi David, you have so much beautiful birds and animals in your country. I love them all. Great photos. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good heavens what a great number of different kind of birds you and Miriam encounterd on your walks. Unbelievable!!! Can not say wich one is nicer, more special, greater colours. So I thank you for letting me enjoy all of these birds. And that plant that must have a horrible smell indeed as you dicribe it. Thank you for showing me around David. And in place is here to thank you for your reaction on my blog and that I was able to bring you back in thoughts to your childhood.
    Take care,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  29. So much beauty! I'm sure I've never seen the Tree Swallows before; that blue is stunning. I was curious about the sandhill crane. I'd never seen one sporting such colors -- whenever I've seen them here, they've been a fairly uniform gray. The one you photographed seemed almost chestnut; I think that must be its breeding plumage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it is probably a bird born the previous year that has still not acquired adult plumage.

      Delete
  30. So many beautiful photos of lots of birds, incredible to see.
    Thanks for sharing, Davie

    ReplyDelete
  31. My goodness you are doing so well for lock-down, all we have is the garden which has pretty much the same birds day in and day out. Resorting to insects is my only choice. Thankfully we will have a bit more freedom as from tomorrow and I will not be limited to a radius of 1 km walking and I do not have to carry a permit!!! I just wish we had somewhere where I could enjoy a few water birds!! Having said that I do not think I will be walking anywhere this week, rain and cold return for a few days.
    Keep well and stay safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi David
    Unbelievable! How beautiful all those types of birds!
    And it goes on and on!
    Breathtaking beauties.
    I enjoyed watching all these birds!
    All not far from home, great!
    Regards, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful birds and photos as always, David. The Tree Swallows are my favorite today. My neigbour have a big barn filled with Hirundo rustica every summer. I love the sound of them.

    ReplyDelete
  34. J am fascinated at how many species you find in the area. I seldom see many birds any more so I thoroughly enjoy your pictures. I didn't know Bald Eagles were so common here these days. I thought the same about killing them off in the States. Illogical to say the least. I should send you a pic of the birdfeeder Matt built in NC. I kept the squirrels off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Two words....absolutely amazing!

    Thanks for sharing this weekend. Stay safe & happy birding. (I'll take one of those muffins)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Una maravilla esos paseos, yo sería feliz. Un abrazo fuerte para los dos.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi David - you have definitely been busy doing what you both love doing ... checking the bird life around your home. Gorgeous shots - love the herons, in fact love them all ... thanks so much for putting them all up for us to see - take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday a Barn Swallow was looking at me very quizzically as she perched beside a nest she is evaluating. She looked quite wise, so I may call her Hilary!

      Delete
  38. Ha David, wat 'n mooie serie weer, en wat \n soorten vogels. Moet daar wel 'n mooie omgeving en natuur zijn.
    Groet Kees.

    ReplyDelete
  39. There's still plenty going on even if you're not venturing too far from home. It's amazing what you can see isn't it. I do love seeing the Herons, especially the Green Heron, they're such beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Another wonderful set of beautiful birds, David. You seem to have very interesting residents and neighbours. (And I'm certain you would find interesting species also here... even though I don't :)) I too hope you will see many happy and healthy cygnets soon.
    Your temperatures seem to be rather much like ours: often frost at night, now snowing (wet snow). Fortunately, yesterday (Mother's Day) was sunny and the wind was from the south.
    Happy birding. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm absolutely astounded that you can find so many different fabulous birds close to home, David! You may want to change the "Travels With Birds" handle to your blog. Don't tell Miriam, but she's in danger of being overtaken by you on the photography front. I perticularly love the way you've captured the blue in that first Tree Swallow image.

    I'm pleased to report that Lindsay and I have started discussing how we might start to take ourselves out of total self-isolation in the not-too-distant future, but I need to recover my health a bit more before I get too ambitious.

    My very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you can get out soon, Richard. I am sure it would be a great tonic for both of you.

      Delete
  42. You're lucky to live near nature which is rich in alluring animals.

    ReplyDelete
  43. WOW David! What a fabulous collection of birds! The Green Heron is stunning. Gorgeous Blue Heron, love the Bobolinks, swans, oh gosh I just love them all. I may have to take a trip to your area when the Covid calms down. To see that many birds would be a dream come true for me. I hope you have a pleasant week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen: If you come this way please let me know. I will be happy to help you find some birds.

      Delete
  44. Jaka piękna wycieczka! takie cudowne obserwacje! Trochę wam zazdroszczę, bo u nas w zasadzie nie można teraz wyjeżdżać bez ważnych powodów. A nie wiadomo, czy fotografowanie ptaków jest ważnym powodem. Mandaty są barzdo wysokie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that things open up for you soon, Ludmila. Then you will have to take your camera and go to photograph some birds!

      Delete
  45. hello David
    that with the distance so that the birds or other animals are not disturbed is always such a thing, observed in Mecklenburg Western Pomerania; Ospreys hatchery many many people are across the forest .. incomprehensible .. to your pictures, there is also a lot in the vicinity, a nice selection many birds unknown to me thank you for showing
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
  46. Enhorabuena David, las fotos son espectaculares. Me fascinan las aves de tu entorno, son muy guapas y llenas de color. Me encantan. Un fuerte abrazo para los dos.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Everytime I see a photo of the great blue heron I think it is our grey heron. I think they are closely related. :) Love to see swallows. and all other birds you share :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Here's the female guilty of parasiting ! oohhh that's not good ;-)

    The heron is beautiful and the color of these aerial superstars is superb.

    It's nice to observe the same bird several days, this bunting is charming. I think the white on the head of the Common Redstart is even brighter ;-)

    So leave it your squirrel ;-)
    Is it Myriam who makes the muffins ?

    Thank you for all the other beautiful birds. Your pictures are beautiful David, you need to take them more often!

    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  49. What fabulous finds! I've never seen a bobolink -- they're pretty. Well, they're all pretty lovely! Those tree swallows are quite beautiful, too. And thank you for showing the female Red-wing. I haven't seen any of those at my ditch but I'll bet they are there! Now I'll know what to look for!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Very productive departure, full of bird species I estimate for the arrival of spring despite some cold fronts. You can go out at least for a turn, here it is forbidden although the controls are not so tight, if you want you can escape and take a turn but without going down from the vehicle so as not to attract attention. We are already in the middle of autumn and few birds are seen, you have to swim much more to see them. Better times will come

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers