Monday, September 02, 2019

A Day's Birding with Kayla

01 September 2019

     The first day of September always represents the beginning of fall for me, regardless of the the fact that the autumn solstice is yet three weeks away, so it was a pleasure to initiate fall birding for 2019 with Kayla Simms.
     Kayla had contacted me to advise that she was a novice birder and would like me to take her birding to help improve her skills a little and I was happy to oblige. 


     I am wholeheartedly glad that I consented to do so, for she turned out to be the most agreeable companion one could possibly imagine and quite aside from a great day of birding I enjoyed my time with her immensely, and a new and rewarding friendship was struck.
     I took few photographs, and what I have are of indifferent quality, but I will include a few taken at the DesJardins Canal. The range of species here was not dramatic, but there were lifers for Kayla, and she was keen to learn as much as possible about their lifestyle, so adult and juvenile Black-crowned Night Herons (Nycticorax nycticorax) gave her great pleasure.


     This juvenile Green Heron (Butorides virescens) was no less pleasing for Kayla and we saw a couple of adults also.


     Great Egret (Ardea alba) is a species whose range has expanded dramatically in southern Ontario in recent years, and it is no longer unusual to encounter concentrations of twenty or thirty of these birds. A lone individual was present at the canal, but I suspect that had we explored farther along Coote's Paradise we might well have found more.


     As is usually the case, even in winter, Double-crested Cormorants (Phalacrocorax phalacrocorax) are a fixture at the DesJardins Canal, and Kayla was very interested to observe them swimming, often almost totally submerged, fishing, and drying their wings.


     Our next stop was at Grindstone Creek where there was a good deal of activity, with Western Ospreys (Pandion haliaetus) and Caspian Terns (Hydroprogne caspia) putting on impressive displays of aerial maneuverability and fish-catching prowess.
     A Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) had captured a quite large fish and was bashing it thoroughly in the way that herons do. I had left my camera in the car (I am probably so used to relying on Miriam to take the pictures), but I went back for it. Alas, when I arrived anew at the scene the heron had already swallowed the fish.
     All was not lost, however, for Joel Marshall, a real photographer with real equipment, had been chatting to us in the most friendly and agreeable way, and he undertook to send me some of his images. They are included below and I am sure you will agree that they are as dramatic as one could ever hope to witness. I am very grateful indeed to Joel for his kindness; no less for his promptness in forwarding the pictures.




     Kayla and I said goodbye to Joel, and proceeded to La Salle Park and Marina in Burlington, followed by visits to Paletta Park and Bronte Harbour in Oakville. Each location held its special attractions, including a lively movement of migratory warblers at Paletta Park. For Kayla there were numerous lifers and the excitement of seeing fall migration in full swing.
     I had one lifer too, a rare but highly desirable species, known only to a small discerning audience. Its scientific name is Kayla iucunda. The great thing about this species is that once discovered it is easy to find again, and never ceases to amuse, charm and reveal new characters. Now, what could be better than that? 
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

45 comments:

  1. Hi David.

    Nice that you can watch birds with someone.
    Joel, has taken very nice pictures.

    Greeting from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little concerned that Miriam did not accompany you to meet Kayla iucunda, but instead left such an attractive young lady to your singular attention. Luckily, she appeared to survive the encounter despite your undoubted bird expertise, charm, wit and legendary way with the ladies.

    Time will tell if Kayla learns from this experience and returns for more or if she decides if birding is not all it’s cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I am old enough to be her grandfather, I think Miriam was quite sanguine about Kayla and I going out together. As for birding - this girl is hooked!

      Delete
  3. Those are great photos taken by Joel of the Great Blue Heron catching such a lovely fat fish.
    Whilst the skies are blue, the sun still shines and it is warm I like to keep thoughts of Autumn at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to meet a new and enthusiastic "apprentice" birder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Un gran día amigo David con Kayla que a buen seguro como gran profesor le has transmitido muy buenas y expectantes nociones sobre ese fabuloso mundo de las aves. Seguro que marcho tremendamente contenta y satisfecha con ganas de repetir nuevas experiencias. Da gusto saber que existe gente joven muy involucrada y con ansias de aprender, el testigo queda asegurado.
    Las imágenes son preciosas como siempre. Te deseo tengas un buen mes de Septiembre
    Un fuerte abrazo querido amigo y profesor David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias querido amigo Juan por tus amables palabras. Me gustan mucho!

      Delete
  6. The Great Blue Heron is so beautiful, David.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the best adventures. And Joel Marshall has a great eye--wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire this young lady for her interest in birding, whether as recreational or science-based activity.
    Anyway, it's not simple - it involves weather, geography, use of binoculars and other technological devices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My optimism meter rises when I see younger folk take an interest in creatures such as birds. I’m also glad your extensive knowledge isn’t wasted and is being shared on your blog as well as with this lovely girl with a nice smile named Kayla.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The very best kind of lifer. And a new passion being born.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just the best day! Joel's photography is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another interesting post and Joels photography is stunning. I am grateful I could see them. Kayla's smile is contagious...I smiled back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photos are fabulous and thanks to Joel for sharing his outstanding heron photos.As you know, I have a fascination with herons catching and devouring their catch. It looks like a fabulous day with good finds for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lucky girl she is, Kayla, to go birding with an excellent guide named David!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a pleasant day out. Joel's photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very rewarding to be able to pass on knowledge like this and it seems the birds were happy to help out too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think David, you are a good teacher so Kayla is so happy. I love photos of a heron.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi David - well you sent me off to learn some latin ... I'd no idea what 'iucunda' meant - well some latin appeared and now I'm agreeably more learned!! What fun - and she does sound a great learner - reaching out for guidance and I'm sure will make a big difference to your birding group's life - as well as her own pleasure. Loved the read and great to know she's so keen - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's always wonderful to meet new people that have an interest in learning about a subject you care deeply about. The photos that Joel Marshall took are beautiful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done, David - another birder brought into the fold. Joel's photos are outstanding and have overshadowed your own splendid efforts a little. I'm sure that you won't hold it against him, however!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello David, going birding is the best way to make new friends, your story is proof of that. You also got to see some great birds with stunning action. Good that Joel was so kind to have you make use of his photos. That was some big fish!!
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  22. yes, the images of the Bleu Heron is something special. Love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great that you were able to go out with Kayla.
    I enjoyed your photographs and thanks for sharing Joel's too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Me gustan mucho las aves, precioso reportaje y fotos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A mí me habría encantado también estar ahí. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great post about your trip with a young birdwatcher.
    Joel's photos of the Great Blue Heron are formidable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello David!
    I'm here, I'm back from vacation.

    Admiring birds with such a beautiful girl is a real pleasure. It's hard to refuse!
    Great birds and wonderful photos.

    Hugs and greetings:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. After that day full of beautiful birds and an excellent teacher, I’m sure Kayla is well on her way to being a fine birder. Those wonderful photos of the heron are just breath-taking, especially the second one with the wings coming up around the neck. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, you got some great shots of those birds in action.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good to make new friends!

    I don't know if night or green herons make it all the way out here. I have seen the blue herons, but they'll no doubt be making their way south soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kayla is a very lucky person! Oh, and those herons! The black-crowned night heron is my personal favorite, I don't know why I love these birds so much. Great photo series of the Great Blue, simply fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful to make new friends this way! Your photos are beautiful David. The great egret has become very common here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It is always exciting to share the enthusiasm with a new birder. Awesome photos of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the name on your blog "Travel With Birds" - I wish I could! And I also love your wonderful photos!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hallelujah!!!!!!
    Those pictures of the blue heron with prey are so beautiful !!!!! I really have been watching with open mouth ohhhhhhhh ....
    Beautiful for the green, the egret and the quack.
    Wonderful and also a compliment for your companion.
    Dear greetings and a kiss xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi David,
    It is such a pleasure to take out a novice birder and to watch the enthusiasm they show, I have taken out a reasonable birder but not from this Country and likewise they are fascinated by our resident species.
    Wonderful set of images of the Blue Heron.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm in awe of Kayla's willingness to ask you to accompany her on a day of birding. I still can be hesitant to approach the expert botanists; I suppose the trick is to find those who are knowledgeable and amenable to sharing their knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers