Friday, September 13, 2024

Miscellaneous Visitors at Home

".....natural history helps make us better people, by fostering humility and awe, and offers the capacity to build better human societies, ones that are less destructive and dysfunctional."
Thomas Lowe Fleischner

09 July, 2024 

     Last year, two Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes) pupae went into diapause and overwintered in our garage. Here is one of them having just eclosed and ready to face the world.


     It flew out of the cage into bright sunshine minutes after this picture was taken.

10 July, 2024

     Most houses contain a spider or two and they do far more good than harm if left alone, like this House Funnel-web Spider (genus Teganaria)


11 July, 2024

     A Single-dotted Wave (Idaea dimidiata) very kindly took up residence at our front door for a while.


12 July, 2024

     A lovely spider (subfamily Theridiinae) was a welcome addition to our lives.


     No less so was a Speckled Renia Moth (Renia adspergillus).


     This year we attempted to raise Polyphemus Moths (Antheraea polyphemus) from eggs on our American Linden (Tilia americana). Miriam made mesh bags with a draw string to enclose the branches on which the caterpillars were feeding, to safeguard them from threats like predatory wasps and birds seeking food for their chicks. As you can see a little breach occurred in the mesh and ants were able to get inside and make short work of a caterpillar.


     We quickly relocated the unharmed larvae and provided a new bag. Ultimately, out of twelve eggs, we were successful in rearing two to pupation. They are now in the garage and will overwinter with us to emerge next year.

14 July, 2024

     An Ipsilon Dart Moth (Agrotis ipsilon) came to visit and took a liking to the combination lock on the front door where it stayed for several hours.


18 July, 2024

     Today was the turn of a Large Tabby (Aglossa pinguinalis).


21 July, 2024

     A Cross Orbweaver (Araneus diadematus) was subduing prey for later consumption.


     Here is a healthy and rapidly growing Polyphemus caterpillar.


     A Summer Azure (Celastrina neglecta) landed on  Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca).


23 July, 2024

     I wonder if an Eastern Parson Spider (Herpyllus ecclesiasticus) needs to prepare a weekly sermon?


26 July, 2024

     A Cross Orbweaver is becoming very familiar to you.


27 July, 2024

     A Cereal Leaf Beetle (Oulema melanoplus) clung to the screen door which resembles the iron windows of a medieval prison in this picture.


28 July, 2024

     A Perplexing Bee (Bombus perplexus) was well dusted with pollen, thereby rendering payment for the sweet nectar delivered by the flower.


     A Western Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) will perform the same service.


     We are always delighted to see a Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina). They do not come to our yard as frequently as in times past.


     An Autumn Meadowhawk (Sympetrum vicinum) was a very welcome visitor.


     Limoniid Crane Flies (family Limoniidae) often remain perched for extended periods unless disturbed.


     This is a Common House Spider (Parasteatoda tepidariorum); in fact not quite so common as other species.


     Our Cup Plants (Silphium perfoliatum) are looking spectacular.


29 July, 2024

     A visit from a Monarch (Danaus plexippus) is always a special event.


     This One-banded Paper Wasp (Ancistrocerus unifasciatus) was drawn to the water in the bird bath.


     I'd bet that many people would be surprised at the number of moths that visit their backyards. Common Angle (Macaria aemulataria) might be among them.


 31 July, 2024

     We were heading out to run some errands but were delayed a while when we noticed a Monarch on the coneflowers.


     It's hard to resist going back into the house for a camera.


     A Western Honey Bee was taking advantage of a full supply of nectar too.




01 August, 2024

     I doubt that European Earwig (Forficula auricularia) is anyone's favourite insect.


     A Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet (Xanthorhoe ferrugata) rested during the day.


     Our Polyphemus caterpillars are doing well and growing exponentially.


02 August, 2024

     A Common Eupithecia Moth (Eupithecia miserulata) was a very welcome visitor.


03 August, 2024

     We watched this Monarch land.


     It's hard to tell on the following picture, but she curled her abdomen and laid an egg.


     We immediately retrieved it and took it inside to be raised in safety.
     An Autumn Meadowhawk also paid us a visit.


10 August, 2025

     Tipula furca is a beautifully marked large Crane Fly.


     A Strawberry Root Weevil (Otlorhynchus ovata) seemed more interested in coneflowers than strawberry roots.


15 August, 2024

     You will have to agree that this Tan Jumping Spider (Platycryptus undatus) is a very appealing species, verging on cute!


     If you are sometimes bothered by pesky flies this arachnid is your friend.


25 August, 2024

     On a single plant of Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) we found one Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle (Labidomera clivicollis).


     By contrast, there were several Large Milkweed Bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus).


     Both of these species absorb poison from the host plant; hence their aposematic colours.
     A Large Vagabond Sod Webworm Moth (Agriphila ruricolellus) was a first-time visitor.


     Miriam's Gazanias have put on a spectacular show this year.





     A Box Tree Moth (Cydalima perspectalis) is beautiful, but unwelcome.


     This invader was first noted in North America in Toronto, Ontario in August 2018 and has rapidly spread over Eastern North America. It is a major threat to Boxwood (Buxus spp) and should probably be killed on sight, and eggs and larvae destroyed.
     Like most invasive species, however, once established it is probably going to prove impossible to eradicate.
     We do have a way of messing things up, don't we?
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

62 comments:

  1. Thank you for showcasing the area around your home and its visitors (both welcome and unwelcome). We can claim no little expertise in the art of mucking it up. For ourselves and the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know spiders are so useful. great photos of the Black Swallowtail and the Leaf Beetle with its orange and black colours.
    Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A different world. Butterflies and bees have pleasant colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello David :)
    This a spectacular series of wild life photos. I enjoyed looking at all the close ups of the beautifully photographed insects, and am amazed that you saw them all in your garden, where Miriam's flowers are very beautiful indeed.The Black Swallowtail and the Monarch butterflies are works of art, thank you so much for caring for them.I also have a photo of a spider in one of my earlier posts that I called cute, and there is no other name for your spider image. The Western Honey Bee micro images are fabulous, I can see every detail and what a good job they are doing.Thank you both for introducing me to this very interesting look at new species.
    Hugs and kisses
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...WOW David, my entomology class in college was never this interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that bee is stunning, and I have never ever never thought any spider was cute. the parson looks wicked to me... will stay out of his church, ha ha.... I love the pics of caterpillars, they are quite amazing. we need anything that eats flies, for some reason we have had The Year Of the Flies. they are here by the dozens in our yard. no photos, they are to fast

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Black Swallowtail and the Monarch are so lovely. Beautiful photos! It's so nice that you take such good care of the eggs. It must be wondeful to see them next year in your garden. Miriams flowers are also very beautiful.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ewwww, I don't like any of those spiders very much, even though they may be useful creatures to have around the back yard. I have not seen a single monarch so far this summer. How wonderful to see a monarch egg being laid, not many people can claim that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like those butterflies and colorful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seem to be popular with spiders as they are always appearing in and around my home. I am more hospitable than many folk I know. I do however draw the line at the squirrel that last winter tried to move into my attic on cold nights. I eventually found and blocked the hole beneath the porch roof where he was coming in. Next morning at four o'clock I was awakened by a loudly cursing squirrel. I looked out from my bedroom window and there he was, sitting on the porch roof shaking with indignation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worse than that for us. A raccoon got into the attic and it cost us $1,100 to have it removed and the house sealed off. If ever a mother has young in an attic the damage can be catastrophic.

      Delete
  11. Hi David, so much to see again! But please, don't ask me to like spiders. I don't kill them, and tolerate those who don't come to near, but I will never be able to like them! Miriam's
    flowers are gorgeous! I managed another post yesterday, but apart from that the week was somehow bad! Have a great weekend, take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a variety, right there at your house. I don't mind spiders and moths, but have many friends who hate them. One friend, who lives in a wooded setting, gets frantic about any bugs coming into her house. I mean, really. She was certainly living in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has already invaded their living quarters so it seems fair to me that they would want to share her space.

      Delete
  13. Nice series of photos David.
    I like the cross spider in the web.
    I also think the brown jumping spider is very beautiful.
    Fortunately I am not afraid of spiders, I know that many women are afraid of spiders.
    A long time ago I had a big tarantula in my hands, I had to hold her with both hands, she was very big.
    I wish you a good weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of the nicest posts I have ever read. All the best for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Las mariposas me caen muy simpáticas, pero a las arañas, prefiero no acercarme mucho.
    Feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some wonderful visitors. You have had great friends to come and see you :-D That jumping spider is gorgeous. I am not a fan of flies in the house so love to have spiders in the home for this reason. There was a huge common garden spider outside my daughter's window and I got a few photos of it but they weren't too good so I doubt I'll be able to blog it. The other spiders you have shown look good too. Great photos David and loving Miriam's flowers :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh. The face on the Jumping Spider;) Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a zoo of insects!!
    I wouldn't leave the house...jajaja
    Incredible

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear David,
    you are right, the Forficula auricularia is actually not my favorite insect, but I try to encourage them in my garden anyway because they are useful. The common earwig eats aphids and reduces mildew infestations. I offer them shelter in upturned flower pots and straw. I don't really love spiders either, but if I find one in our house, I usually just leave it where it is - unless my husband notices. Because Edi is disgusted by spiders - then they have to be taken outside. (But at least Edi hasn't killed them since he's been with me!) Oh dear, you already have box tree moths in Canada? Very bad - there isn't a single box tree left here... Otherwise, you have a great variety of insects and spiders - and it's wonderful that you are trying to breed butterflies / protect the caterpillars. We have a praying mantis trying to breed by sticking its ootheca to our door frame. It's not a perfect place because the door scrapes against it, but it is somewhat protected from storms and rain and we hope it survives till next spring /summer...
    Miriam's Gazanias are beautiful!
    All the best and have a nice weekend, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/09/calle-libre-festival-2024-und.html
    PS: I'm not surprised that you were mainly looking for birds in San Francisco too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I guess I could look more closely at the insects around here and find some of the same ones as you. I can't get excited though at having a big spider in the house. Outside is where they belong.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for this interesting post, David. I wouldn't be able to name these spiders you showed here, except for the orbweaver. I once heard - that's many years ago when I was still single and living in Germany - that it is a good sign if spiders are in your house because that means it is a healthy home. I have no idea whether this is actually true, but if it is true, then our home is super healthy. Spiders don't scare me, I find them fascinating, and the only time I recue them is when they get trapped in the bathtub and can't get out of it by themselves. I also remember fondly a handwritten sign in a bathroom in a B&B in Scotland - "Don't kill spiders in the bath, he might have a family to keep". I loved it and have never forgotten it. Have a lovely weekend filled with the wonders of nature - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely fascinating variety you have showcased David. I will be showing these to our insect loving grandson. The Monarch is certainly gorgeous--great capture of her laying eggs! I really appreciate your knowledge you share here. Miriam's flowers are quite lovely and so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your grandson enjoys the pictures and I am happy to hear of his passion for insects.

      Delete
  23. For many years an orb spider took residence in a cranny of the porch. We always considered her the same as the previous year, but it could only have been the daughters of the previous year's orb.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many wonderful pictures! It's impossible to pick a favorite although I do especially love that jumping spider.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Defiantly not into spiders. The butterflies are always beautiful.
    Wonderful photos of all the insects, the flowers are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Upeita kuvia - hämähäkit ovat mielenkiintoisen näköisiä. Kiitos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. love the first one. We have similar once but not that dark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a collection David !
    Beautiful insects, not so cute arachnids but so useful for Mother Nature !
    Have a interesting weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  29. A wonderful collection of insects! My favorites are the butterflies, the flowers and the jumping spider. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's great that you've been able to document so many interesting insects and plants.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I’ve been finding spiders in their webs very fascinating lately too, though I haven’t made the kind of amazing commitment that you have made to a wide variety of insects and spiders. If we wanted completeness, though, we would include mosquitos — we are seeing them this month. In July we wouold also have seen many fireflies.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello. A huge number of different insect and butterfly sightings! Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi David,
    Beautiful insects. Also the spiders... KLovely flowers but....Two black Swallowtails in your garage...incredible!! How wonderful. And what a beauty!! Of course is the monarch butterfly also breathtaking.
    I enjoyed your outstanding post !
    Greetings, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  34. Que maravilla de entradacon mariposas insectos y flores Me encantan las mariposas. La negra es preciosa y muy rara. Que guapa tenéis la planta de copa.
    David Miriam buen fin de semana.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I had a wolf spider take up residence in the corner of my window inside one year. I left it be until its life ran its course. doing me a favor after all and I didn't mind its webby nest. one fall I had some milkweed and there were six or seven monarch caterpillars when we were expecting a freeze. I plucked all the milkweed and brought them inside in jars with perforated tops and sticks. I think all but one survived, made a chrysalis and hatched to be released.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow! These are some spectacular photos. Some of the critters I see here on the west coast, some are new to me. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  37. David, As I scrolled through the post I thought about how amazing nature can be and butterflies are a perfect example. The metamorphosis is incredible. Think about spending part of life as a caterpillar … crawling around everywhere … and then, suddenly, elegantly flying all around. As I continued scrolling, it delighted me to see Miriam’s Gazanias … just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the fascinating and beautiful! John

    ReplyDelete
  38. A few years ago, a box moth destroyed over 30 box trees in the garden. I don't like spiders. I don't like these creatures. I love flowers, bees and butterflies. Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lovely pictures of the swallowtails and the monarchs. I rarely see them and never get them with my camera. Interesting post love the honeybee and the dragonfly. I know they provide a necessary service but the creepy crawlies are not my faves! Enjoy your weekend David. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your observations and efforts with these fascinating creatures are truly remarkable! It’s wonderful to see how you’ve been nurturing and documenting the life stages of various insects. The mishap with the ants is a reminder of the challenges involved in raising moths, but your dedication to their care is evident.

    I wishing you a lovely weekend. you are invited to read my new blog post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2022/10/how-to-break-out-of-nzu-addiction.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi David, que tal querido amigo!
    guau! this connection with nature is full of observation and patience! the moments captured reflect your attention to detail, the cycle of life is a marvel.
    This post is a tribute the interaction between insects, plants and predators, they creates a delicate balance in the family ecosystem. I loved the domestic walk!
    🦋☆*: .。 have a delicious saturday night ♡ .。.:*☆🦋

    ReplyDelete
  42. I finally saw a monarch today, after not seeing any all summer. I’ve seen other butterflies, of course.

    Your of the spiderweb is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monarchs seem to be in decline everywhere. Planting milkweed in your garden will probably help.

      Delete
  43. I love your new header and your pet butterfly in your garage. Well, all of your pics, the flowers are glorious.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very nice collection!....I don't have any problem with spiders, and here we ha lots of monarch butterflies....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a great post David, love all the bugs especially the jumping spider which I have to say is cute. I have friend who has the perfect lens and takes some amazing close ups. I do not have that luxury. The swallowtail is beautiful. We have had visitors for the past week so I am even further behind, but I will try to do some catch up soon!
    Take care, bisous mon ami Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite confident that you would fine the jumping spider cute, Diane. You have impeccable taste!

      Delete
  46. A riveting and fascinating study of the insect world. I enjoyed the sparrow also, and those beautiful flowers. Thank you David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insects are key to our very existence, yet we keep coming up with new ways to kill them.

      Delete
  47. Amazing bugs and flowers. Those butterflies are just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a wonderful variety of visitors you have, David. The flowers are vibrant and so pretty. Thanks for all the knowledge you shared so we can understand these tiny creatures better.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hello David,
    I have to take a closer look at my house, there are a lot of things that are easily overlooked, very well explained.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  50. Me encantó tu reportaje de hoy. Gracias por tan bonitas capturas. Besos.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers