Thursday, November 16, 2023

Book Review - The Lives of Seaweeds: A Natural History of Our Planet's Seaweeds and Other Algae - Princeton University Press

 


Flowers of the Sea

Call us not weeds, we are Flowers of the Sea,
For lovely, and bright and gay-tinted are we, 
And quite independent of culture or showers; 
Then call us not weeds, we are the Ocean's Gay Flowers

     And so they are - this diverse group of photosynthetic, eukaryotic organisms whose very origins signalled the beginnings of life with the cyanobacteria of ancient seas. Diverse, beautiful, critical to the biosphere, utilitarian and at times deadly, they are nonetheless for the most part ignored.
     This excellent book by Julie A. Philips sets out to change that. Based on my evaluation, she succeeds. If you have been indifferent to seaweeds and other algae before reading this book, I guarantee you that you will henceforth see them in a totally different light. You will learn, you will appreciate, you will marvel, and you will yearn to know more. 
     The opening sections of the book deal with every facet of algae, beginning with the simple question, "What is an alga?" You are then treated to an examination of the evolution of algae, their morphology, life histories, ecology, and a final section about algae and humans. Within these headings all the detail you could ever wish for is laid out in a precise, cogent manner, detailed in content, yet easy to read. Even where the science gets complicated the author has found a way to ensure that the reader will have no difficulty understanding the material. Along the way it is all very fascinating, I can vouch for that.
     As we have come to expect in works like this from PUP, the text is accompanied by a magnificent array of full colour images, which in addition to illustrating technical points in the text, are often breathtakingly beautiful. Numerous species of algae are highlighted throughout each section of the book, each covering two pages with descriptive matter, a map and a full page image.
     At the end of the book, there is an excellent table of the characters used to define selected algal phyla and groups, followed by a first class glossary.
      The next time you ponder the carbon cycle, ocean acidification, biofuels, eat your sushi wrapped in nori, or use one of any number of pharmaceuticals, give a thought to the greater world of seaweeds and other algae; they are implicated in more ways than you perhaps thought possible, and they impact your life dramatically and directly.



      It is a salient truth today, that anyone interested in any facet of the natural world, is thereby cognizant of and fixed on the entire web of life on Earth, conscious of the synergistic relationship of all things. Nothing happens in isolation; no aspect is insignificant.
     This is a book that you need to read.



The Lives of Seaweeds: A Natural History of Seaweeds and Other Algae - Princeton University Press
Julie A. Philips
Hardcover - US$35.00 - ISBN: 9780691228556
288 pages - 7.5 x 9.5 inches (18.75 x 23.75 cm)
150+ colour photographs and illustrations
Publication date: 21 November, 2023
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

40 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Having enjoyed seaweed since childhood (granny used to make dulce scones, I kid not) am definitely adding this one to my wishlist! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I never thought of seaweed as having a life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate lots of seaweeds when I was a kid...my mom made soups and stirfries with them during the hot humid summer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat it now mainly as a component of sushi, but we do also have seafood snacks.

      Delete
  4. Have a fabulous trip David. And have fun with your friend. It's a great time of year to go someplace different, and I hope you see lots of new birds you missed last trip. And seaweeds are actually pretty interesting in their own way too, aren't they? Well, I probably see more of them being near the coast. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are very few Cuban endemics left for me to see, and they are obviously the hard ones. I still return because I love going to Cuba, but after this trip and another one in February, that will be it!

      Delete
  5. Another great review! Have a great trip to Cuba, safe travels. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never eaten seaweed before.
    This is also not really common to eat in the Netherlands
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great book recommendation. I've been interested but not knowledgeable about seaweed, with living near a sea coast most of my life. Laver bread was a thing a bit north of my home region. I've used dulse in my own cooking. But I think I'll see if my library can get this. There being more than food to seaweed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read some about seaweeds but my knowledge is small. They are like the forests or gardens of the ocean, I do know that. Not eaten in landlocked Minnesota where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My relaitonship with seaweed, is walking on our beaches, Florida and Georgia and kicking it out of the way and saying the stuff stinks. in the water it wraps around the ankles and makes me think a shark is after me. Did not ever think of it as alive . it was just THERE my entire life. i know some eat it but i will not. there is much about our natural world i did not know. thanks for the lesson. the poem at the beginning is great and that is how i feel about weeds that grow in our yards. they are flowers to me not weeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have ever eaten maki in a sushi restaurant you have eaten seaweed.

      Delete
  10. We have some dried seaweed that we put in our soup. Enjoy your trip, David.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear David,
    just looking at the cover photo and the small picture on the back, I can imagine that the photographs in the book look like works of art. And yes, I can also well imagine how important seaweed is in nature, although my imagination is mainly sufficient to consider algae as food for many species and as a kind of "habitat provider". And I think they produce a lot of oxygen, right?
    Thanks for letting me know about your blog break. I wish you a wonderful time and I am convinced that you will have some nice things to tell us afterwards!
    All the best, Traude
    🍂🕯️☕🍂☕🕯️🍂

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've become interested in seaweed since living in coastal Ireland. This looks like a great book--thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. Love this tribute to the flowers of the sea. Another book I lust after.
    Have a wonderful trip away - I am looking forward (immensely) to learning about it when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi David, have a great trip, enjoy yourself, and try to behave yourself! Hugs, Valerie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Muchas veces las algas, que llega a la orilla del mar, tienen un mal aspectos, porque se tratan de algas muertas.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi David, Your book reviews are awesome. You’ve already added a couple of books to my Kindle library. I suspect Sea “Flowers” 😊 and The Evolution of Power are likely my next additions. I am not positive about this, but I believe you can set up a link with Amazon and when someone uses your link to purchase an item (for example, a Kindle book) you will get a commission. I, for one, would be happy to use your link. John

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, my goodness, I am going to be the best read person in my neighborhood ... which means nothing as I don't know any of my neighbors. But, I read to learn and enjoy and you have not led me astray on any of your suggestions. Chances are good that I will be reading "The Lives of Seaweeds" in the near future. Thank you, once again :)
    So I am assuming since Stewart is with you it is because you have plans to go on a Birding excursion, right? So when and where? If you are out and about you may not have time to deal with my requests, but I am updating my Christmas Card list and would love to add you to it ... I subscribed to your "Follow with E-mail", so since you now have my email, could you send me an address where I could send you a Christmas card and whatever else strikes my fancy. I hope you are having a safe and wonderful journey and will return with more of your wonderful pictures and comments. Be well, David ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hola chicos! good evening there!
    no aspect is insignificant, of course not, each element of nature plays a vital role in the balance of the ecosystem and loved the poetry of the flowers of the sea, really beautiful.

    I hope that you are enjoying pleasant days with your friend from Australia
    and wish you a wonderful trip to Cuba. See you back, dear friends!
    have a good trip,
    Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Nothing happens in isolation." Truer words have not been written.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a wonderful book. Thank you for your well wishes for my foot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Flowers of the sea, how sweet that is..we have a fair bit of seaweed in some areas of our coastline. Sounds like a good book

    ReplyDelete
  22. Many thanks for the review.
    Wishing you a great trip to Cuba, safe and happy travels.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Querido David siempre son interesantes tus reseñas y nos animan a leer los libros que nos presentas. El tema me encanta y aunque tengo que reconocer que el agua mas arriba de la rodilla me da pánico me gustan las algas y en esta época y después de los temporales que sufrimos los arenales se llenan de algas y podemos verlas y admirarlas. Un enorme abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ÇInteresante libro. Y tanto que son preciosas flores. Leo por aquí que te desean buen viaje. También te lo deseo David.
    Buen fin de semana.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have a nice holiday David and Miriam and till soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Unfortunately I'm not often at the sea, when I was diving I used to be often... it's a longing in me :-)))
    Thank you for your book presentation.
    I wish you a wonderful trip with many beautiful experiences and interesting encounters. I'm already looking forward to hearing and seeing some of it.
    A hug for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Todos los libros son interesante y siempre se aprende. Besos y buen viaje, me habría gustado acompañaros.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I must admit that I've never troubled my head about whether seaweeds have interesting and fulfilling lives. I did once see some photos, taken by a friend who was a diver, from which I learned that the drab things we see strewn along the tideline are actually very beautiful in their natural habitat. It's good that there are people who dedicate their lives to studying the less charismatic lifeforms on this planet.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Zawsze kiedy jem sushi albo jem zupę miso, biorę je pomiędzy pałeczki i oglądam ciekawie. Bardzo mi smakują i jestem szczęśliwa, że mogę zjeść kawałek smacznego plonu z mórz.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi David - I'm so pleased that this book is out there ... I wrote about our 'Mother of the Sea' Kathleen Drew-Baker (1901-1957): Her studies were recognised in Japan and she is credited with revolutionising the Japanese nori culture (edible seaweed) through artificial seeding techniques. I wrote about her in April 2013 ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers