Monday, November 13, 2023

Book Review - The Evolution of Power: A New Understanding of the History of Life - Princeton University Press

 



    Vermeij has provided a literate, straightforward account of a challenging, thought-provoking topic, that is accessible to everyone, yet replete with logic, conviction and unassailable science. It may be a tad hyperbolic to describe a work such as this as 'entertaining,' but, in fact, I found it so. Brilliant and entertaining at the same time - and very readable.
     It deals with every aspect of power in the natural world, going far beyond the philosophical, unquantifiable aspects of the power conferred by biological synthesis and structure, to the ascendant power of Homo sapiens to modify the forces of nature itself. Darwinian principles of natural selection, eternally valid and operative, are in fact conduits to the acquisition of power by all organisms, from the primitive beginnings of life on Earth to the present, where humans dominate everything else.
     As we peer into the abysss of the Sixth Extinction, as we contemplate the future of life as outlined by E.O. Wilson, and its prescription for a way out of our dilemma, the judicious use of power becomes ever more pressing as a solution to our universal problems. Aggressive and expensive arms races between nations, resulting in the accumulation of ever more deadly force, have proven to be ineffective. Although there are examples of conflict among and between other organized groups (e.g. ants, wild dogs), no other organism has so perfected the strategy of remote violence as humans. And no other organism has fundamentally altered the planet, and generally not for the good. Human monopoly over the biosphere has become a fait accompli, profligacy is de facto, ".....humans are perilously close  to destroying the entire aerobic biosphere." 
     This book should be essential reading for decision-makers, politicians and leaders of industry, who guide our future and upon whom our very survival depends. The hair trigger of a madman's control of nuclear weapons is not inclined to fill us with optimism, but this is where the concentration of power, and the potential for its abuse has led us.

 
     I am quite sure I have not done justice to this book; there is a great deal packed into 176 pages  filled with erudition, that highlights the real costs of acquiring power.  Vermeij believes that we can pull back from the precipice by the expansion of our human-centred perspective; whether we have the willingness and the foresight to do so remains moot.
     You really do need to study this book. I am about to start reading it again!


The Evolution of Power: A New Understanding of the History of Life - Princeton University Press
Geerat Vermeij
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691250410
264 pages - 6.125 x 9.25 inches (15.31 x 23.125 cm)
3 tables
Publication date: 14 November, 2023
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

43 comments:

  1. Ce livre a l'air intéressant et peut-être effrayant mais réaliste.
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that, for the sake of my own mental health, I will avoid this one, David. No, I'm not trying to bury my head in the sand, but wanting to try and face the dangers that we are all beset with by supporting, and indulging in, positive action.

    My very best wishes to you and Miriam - and Stewart! - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, It is certainly an interesting book. I am convinced that sooner or later humans will destroy themselves. We have become our own worst enemy, and it is terrifying to think about. Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to send a copy of this book to each memeber of congress, right now..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Great review! We seem to be over run with politicians and the supreme court justices that are way too powerful and greedy. The only way I can see to fix it is to have term limits for all politicians and judges. Thanks for the review and book suggestion. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And those politicians are duly and democratically elected. How can this continue to happen?

      Delete
  6. It sounds like really an interesting and educational book. I should replace my bathroom reading book series with this one :-)) Have a most wonderful week ahead, David!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...a book on evolution won't be popular by many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems like an interesting book to me.
    Man destroys the world.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  9. An important book. I've listened to the author speak about his analyses and deductions found in this and other works. Blind since childhood, his curiosity and understanding perhaps is enhanced by his intensified other senses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting I am sure, but I can find enough to worry about I think without adding to my worries!! Bisous Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a book i must have. Hugs, Valerie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think the people who should read it would read it. And even if they did that they would believe it. Civilizations of humans have come and gone due to power struggles. But we seem to be at the point where we think we are more powerful than the entire earth itself. We will lose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So I just wrote a lengthy comment on my feelings about power and it has vanished ... I was powerless to stop it and don't have the ability or memory to recreate it. Suffice it to say, I find that power in the hands of people without conscience has driven disaster on every continent and has, as you suggested, brought us to the brink of a Sixth Extinction. That we have among us people with sound minds and kind souls seems to be of little comfort because Power is dangerous and difficult to control. So I will read this book and hope that it holds in it's pages the reassurance that we have it within our reach to dampen or even extinguish the flame that the thirst for power has ignited. I find great comfort in having friends like you David. It gives me hope that values, intelligence and kindness are still within our reach ... and better times are ahead. (Ask me if I still have hope after our next election😒 And, yes, I will be watching for the Andrea Express ... I wonder if my train has Graffiti on it's cars. I hope so :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea: Stewart Monckton is staying with us right now, and I understand that you will be meeting up with him in Melbourne. Small world!

      Delete
  14. Our species is too powerful for our own good. And for that of everything else as well. I despair.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The people who should read probably have no interest in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. La destrucción, del nundo va venir de la mano del hombre, con su ambicioso poder.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Querido David parece un libro muy interesante y a tener en cuenta. Y aunque sería bueno que lo leyeran todos los políticos del mundo, creo que no les interesa nada que no sea multiplicar su dinero cueste lo que cueste. Un enorme abrazo para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a must read for anyone interested in preserving what remains of the natural world.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It appears it's an interesting read. I'll have to put it on my list.

    I watched a very predictable series last week, streaming on Stan. Time-passer in these troubling times and I felt no guilt at watching and liking the simplicity of the predictable romantic tale.

    The point I'm getting to is the scenery in the series is absolutely beautiful...it was filmed in Nova Scotia. What a beautiful area...the scenery is what I liked most about the series...."Sullivan's Crossing"...I loved the area.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent suggestion, dear friend! I also feel that it is urgent to use power judiciously to address universal problems; this book should be required reading for leaders with great power.

    Bye, sending a big kiss and the wish for a beautiful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds as if this book is meant to be read and the content taken into our brains...enjoy the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Of course our human behavior goes back to chimp behavior, right? (Certainly not bonobos.) What's sad though is that chimps don't impact the entire world as we do. Nor do they create materials and scatter them around the planet in various ways. We're not the only destructive species (elephants certainly are in their own way), but we make a much bigger impact. Enjoy your second read. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  23. How wonderful that you and Stewart are together ... I can't think of any two birders that I would want to share time and thoughts with. I can only imagine the conversations.😍 I wish I were a fly on the wall. I am so looking forward to meeting with Stewart and I hope that I will have the opportunity to join you and Miriam on one of your excursion one day. When I still lived on the lake, I was in Bird Heaven. I was surrounded with nature and was able to capture pictures to share on Stewarts "Wild Bird Wednesday" every week. Now I live in a community with nothing but houses and unfriendly neighbors but, as you know, the occasional visit from my Lady Hawk lifts my spirits. I know you two will enjoy your time together and expand your already expansive knowledge. Thank you, David, for including me if just for a brief moment.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like quite a book.. unfortunately doubt many politicians actually read though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have to agree with the comments that say those who need to read the book will never do so. The love of power is so strong that it seems to overcome any other thought. Religion, greed, and power will together be the ruin of us, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting book....I always see more cooperation than competition in the nature world.......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a find! I will definitely add it to my list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Need to read this one--thank you! having just finished a book about nuclear war, I am reminded that while humans wield power, we may not be up to the task of using it in ways that are compatible with the continuation of the species!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Humans are nice when you meet them, but very scary at a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The first book would have been right up my alley about ten years ago when my retirement job was working at a local nurseries pond department..I became quite familiar with algae, mosses and other pond inhabitants as well as the fish..It was a fun job as I enjoy playing in water and I did a lot of that..Our focus was mostly the control of algae blooms, how to prevent them as well as destroy them..I learned a lot on the subject..
    The second book is a bit over my head, I think..I'm not a big fan of "power" or "the powerful"...Enjoy your weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Otro libro interesante. Espero y deseo que lo paséis muy bien en Cuba. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Szkoda tylko, że nie mogę jej zdobyć.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Kolejny ciekawy reportaż. Widzę potencjalne modele do malowania :-)

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers