Sunday, July 23, 2023

Book Review - Origin Africa: A Natural History - Princeton University Press


 

     I come away from reading this incredible book exhausted, overwhelmed, dismayed and exhilarated all at the same time. There is lot to absorb from one of Africa's foremost evolutionary biologists and a staunch defender of the Continent, and its role in the protection of biodiversity. It may seem hard to accept when dealing with a book of this nature, but I swear on a stack of Origin of Species there were times when I could hardly put it down.
     Quite apart from the literary talent displayed, and the wealth of information provided, the artwork is spellbinding. Page after page is filled with Kingdon's beautiful work and I was left in awe at the creativity of it all.


     Each picture weaves a message, at times more powerful than the text.
     Kingdon was born in what is now Tanzania to British colonial parents, but grew up in a household where an indigenous African became an integral part of his family, and he learned to speak Swahili with the same facility as English, a skill that would serve him well throughout his life. His mother was a talented artist and by the age of five Kingdon too was displaying considerable creative prowess.
     Kingdon traces the evolution of primates in Africa, culminating in the rise of Homo sapiens, with clear evidence of the fact that the unique circumstances of Africa mean that it could not have happened anywhere else. 
     Africa is the largest and most habitat-rich continent yet its biodiversity is under threat everywhere. The Continent has been colonized by every major European power ( and the USA and China have joined in the pillaging), and forests that harbour unique life are still seen as mere assets on the balance sheets of foreign corporations, to be exploited at will. The anthropogenic destruction of African flora and fauna has been, and continues to be, both shocking and threatening. And it needs to be stopped.


     African unity, united in the protection of land and water, resisting the transformation of landscape into industrialized monocultures with single GMO crops, remains a hope for the future. The restoration of traditional African lifestyles and farming methods are key to healing the land and restoring its unique wildlife, with special consideration for the megafauna of the Continent. Africans themselves will be the key to this renewal by resisting the pirates and bandits who have for too long enslaved Africans and claimed Africa's resources to be used for their own commercial ends, with no recompense to its people, and no consideration of the ravages inflicted upon the land, and the inevitable destruction of nature.


     In the final chapter, Process as Principle, Kingdon outlines what needs to happen for the Continent to heal. He is scathing in his criticism of the colonial mindset, past and present, and argues for a transformation based on holistic values. He says, "Every practicing student of human evolution and ecology, every environmental idealist, every media-savvy campaigner is a gallant pioneer, a secular songster in our species' Hosannah for dawning self-knowledge and for the beauty of a living, not a dying, planet."
     That's a challenge we can all rise to. Indeed we must; there is no longer any other choice.


Origin Africa: A Natural History - Princeton University Press
Joanathon Kingdon
Hardcover - US$39.95 - ISBN: 9780691228532
472 pages - 6 x 9.125 inches (15 x 22.81 cm)
Publication date: 25 July, 2023


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

39 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that interesting book published by the zoologist Joanathon Kingdon.
    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artwork looks fantastic, David. I love to read your bookviews. The book sounds very intresting. It's sad to think about all the the exploitation of various colonists in Africa. It looks like it never ends.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'I come away from reading this incredible book exhausted, overwhelmed, dismayed and exhilarated all at the same time.'
    I so understand your feelings. And how I hope voices like his become a roar. An unstoppable roar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good, not only the way he presents the facts and warns of the destruction that is happening. And the illustrations are fabulous. Kudos to Kingdon! Hugs, Valerie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great read. Jonathan Kingdon is for sure a great author and artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a good book.
    Very much what happens with the destruction of nature.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect that this book might be a challenge to my mental health, David. I'm struggling a bit at the moment, so I shan't be tempted.

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great review and book. It is a challenge to protect the lands and all things nature related. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pray that those in power will read the book and learn from it. There are many roaring in every country and the ones that should listen never hear the roar. Common sense has long left the humans on the planet. it looks and sounds like a wonderful book

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...White Supremacists will never get it through their heads that we all came from Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White supremacists don’t get much through their heads at all.

      Delete
  11. LOVE the cover of the book, that alone could be a great piece of art. It sounds a bit too involved for me; but hope it get's read enough to make an impact.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I have to have this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool book. I have always wanted to visit Africa, in fact I was talking about it with my hubby. We shall see. Last night I watched a great documentary on netflix about a new species of early hominid found in a cave in South Africa. It was called Cave of Bones. If you have Netflix I recommend it. And thanks for the butterfly correction on my blog. I was going through the internet to ID that one as it was a new butterfly to me. It is definitely not common in my little sphere. I couldn't even find it on several sites I looked at, and I really need a good local butterfly book. (Dragonflies too-let's just say a good Lepidoptera book.) I hope you're having a nice weekend. Finally, nice weather here. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful continent to visit, Erika. I have been fortunate to visit many countries in Africa and to have experienced myriad different habitats.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a good read, thanks for the good review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi David - oh I love that cover ... it draws me to it ... I'd definitely love to read it - on my later list ... so much happening now ... time to read - is limited ... but oh dear - a temptation to set my heart racing for that knowledge ... great to be told about it - thanks!!! I won't forget ... Cheers - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like a very interesting book!...Africa is beautiful and unique in every corner!...Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review--thank you! From your photos and descriptions, I can see that this is one I would like to read--seems fascinating on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  18. África es un gran continente, con una gran fauna y una hermosa vegetación, que vale la pena conocerla.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Un libro que se ve precioso. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a book that would definitely interest me - when I look at all the books that interest me I guess I need to live at least another 100 years (I'm not sure I want to, though). Nevertheless it's on my list. Africa has been a fascination of mine since I was eight or nine years old and started watching the documentaries of Prof. Dr. Bernhard Grzimek. The damage white people have inflicted on that continent is deeply shameful (but not a surprise - white people seem to be the worst). The excellent artwork is an additional reason for me to get my hands on this book.
    By the way, I always appreciate your book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That certainly looks a delightful and informative book. Wonder if it's available in India.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seem a very interesting book to read and look at David. Husband has a cousin and her husband along with their child lived there for many years, wonderful stories they tell us since they have returned home to live.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ce livre me semble vraiment intéressant, peut-être y aura t'il un jour une traduction en français. Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a very important and interesting book. We, the humans, have a lot to learn form the mistakes of the past and, unfortunately, of the present too.
    Thanks for sharing the review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello David, indeed this seems a verry interesting book. Thank you for your review.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like a fascinating book, David. And as you might expect, I really appreciate beautiful design and illustrations and this looks like it ticks all the boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. From your review it is certainly an amazing book.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loved your review of this obviously interesting and informative book..The pictures look
    wonderful..We have a lot to learn but it doesn't seem as if we "get it"..!! What we have done to this planet is horrific and sad....Is it too late???

    ReplyDelete
  29. Africa is such a rich and gorgeous place. I'll look for this copy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The artwork/illustrations look excellent.
    Thank you for your review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers