Tuesday, July 25, 2023

More Visits to Nature Hot Spots

I cannot separate the aesthetic pleasure of seeing a butterfly and the scientific pleasure of knowing what it is.
Vladimir Nabukov

10 July, 2023
Hillside Park, Waterloo, ON


     Hillside Park is one of the most reliable places we know to find Ebony Jewelwing (Calopteryx maculata) and we were not disappointed. Some were even busy working on the next generation.


     It is a resoundingly beautiful damselfly and we look forward to its emergence every year.


     Eastern Forktail (Ischnura verticalis) is no less delightful.


     Purple Crownvetch (Securigera varia) is both common and beautiful, and well known by all.


     Small White (Pieris rapae), formerly known as Cabbage White is one of our most familiar butterflies.


     I find Violet Dancer (Argia fumipennis violacea) a singularly attractive name for a lovely damselfly.


     Wild Teasel (Dipsacus fullnonum) is so common it probably attracts little attention from humans, but in reality it is quite beautiful.


     Common Whitetail (Plathemis lydia) is one of our most familiar dragonflies. This is a female.


     A Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) stealthily worked the water in search of food.


     Mallards (Anas platyrynchos) are found in a dazzling array of plumages and transitional phases.


     Amazingly, we had not seen Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) locally this year, so we were especially happy to come across a family group.


     Common Red Soldier Beetles (Rhagonycha fulva) are frequently referred to as boinking beetles - and the reason is obvious. 


     Life seems to be one constant round of sex!
     A Bluet (genus Enallagma) female was a little more sedate.


     I was not sure of the name of this plant, and came up with a couple of possible choices, but I am fairly convinced it is Eastern Smooth Beardtongue (Penstemon laevigatus).


     A Two-spotted Bumble Bee (Bombus bimaculatus) diligently searched for nectar and pollen.


     Deptford Pink (Dianthus armeria) is a tiny little flower, exquisite in its delicate beauty.


     Northern Crescent (Phyciodes cocyta), seen here on Fleabane (genus Erigeron) is active at this time of year, sometimes having two generations, even at our latitude.


     American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) is one of our commonest, yet most visually appealing songbirds.



18 July, 2023
Mill Race Trail, St. Jacobs, ON

     We were greeted by a male Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis).


     And where there is a male, there is often a female lurking close at hand.


     It does not generally take long on a local walk to turn up a Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) or two.


     Seated on a bench, catching a few rays, was a Domestic Cat (Felis catus), just longing for a friendly human to come by, and we suited its purpose to a tee.


     It attached itself to us, all the while craving attention, brazenly seeking petting and rubbing itself against our legs, and following us along the path.


     On the return journey, it abandoned us at its bench without a moment of shame or regret, waiting for the next human to pass by and lavish attention on it. It's affection was indeed superficial and fleeting!
     A road crew was working on the bridge across the Conestogo River and upon seeing this sign Miriam commented that our cat was free!


     A Grape Leaffolder Moth (Desmia funeralis) very kindly landed right in front of us and stayed there.


     Common Ninebark (Physocarpus opulifolius) is often found along the banks of streams.


     Margined Calligrapher (Toxomerus marginatus) is one of our commonly seen hoverflies, small, but very attractive.


     A Willow Leaf Beetle (Palgiodera versicolora) is often inconspicuous and easily missed.


     Two-spotted Bumble Bees were hard at work.


     Harvestmen (family Sclerosomatidae) are not spiders, contrary to popular belief. This individual is in the genus Leiobunum.


     By around this point in our walks Miriam and I are generally filled with high elation as we discover one thing after another - but there is always more to come, of that we may be sure.
     Common Flesh Flies (genus Sarcophaga) have a bit of a macabre connotation, although I am not sure why, since most humans are dedicated flesh eaters themselves.


     The following green fly is a member of the subfamily Sciapodinae in the family Dolichopodidae.


     Mallards patrol the Mill Race and usually approach humans who frequently bring food.


     Eastern Forktail is common in just about any kind of wetland habitat. Perhaps best not to have dreams of this one!


     Here is a typical Hover Fly in the subfamily  Syrphinae.


     Very attractive, you will doubtless agree.
     Perhaps an Alder Spittlebug (Clastoptera obtusa) is more to your liking.


     The following fly is in the genus Hydrophoria and is probably Hydrophoria lancifer.


     Black Knot (Apiosporina morbosa) is a plant pathogen that is familiar to fruit growers but has manifestations in wild plants also. 



     The infected part of the plant is killed, but in the glorious inter-relatedness of nature, habitat is created for insects. 
     This young male Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) would have no hesitation in picking off a few of those nutritious insects.


     The following butterfly looks like an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus), but the Tiger Swallowtail complex is subject to intense study at present, with potential revisions at hand, including the possibility of a new species. 


     I am indebted to Rick Cavasin for the following helpful comment:

"This does look like an Eastern Tiger, but the first flight of that species emerges in Spring, and probably wouldn't survive to this date. There is a second flight but it starts around the end of July. There's a third "species" we're calling the Midsummer Tiger which looks like this and emerges right around late June to early July. It is similar in appearance to the Eastern Tiger which makes it a good match. But we're still trying to sort out the range of the Midsummer Tiger in southern Ontario, and when it flies relative to the Eastern Tiger. For now, we're calling ones that can go either way "Tiger Swallowtails and Allies". Once we get a better handle on the range and flight season of the Midsummer Tiger in this area, we'll revisit the observations."

     At the end of the trail an American Robin (Turdus migratorius) was enjoying the beneficial power of the sun's UVB rays in cleansing its feathers of parasites of various kinds, and we tiptoed past it in order not to disturb its ecstatic enjoyment of this simple pleasure.



     I had planned to add another location to this report, but it is already quite long enough. That will wait until next time.
     Until then, stay safe, take good care, enjoy nature and protect it.

TRIVIA

     Recently, I was leading a nature walk for a branch of the Kitchener Public Library and an enthusiastic participant asked me to explain the age of the Earth! A tall order you might say! As best I could, I tried to convey the concept of aging the Earth, and the manner in which deep time is organized into distinct geological periods. It occurs to me that many readers are perhaps similarly interested, so here is a table of the geological periods, scientifically proven and evidentially valid. For rational people these facts are not in dispute.

Period                            Millions of years ago

Ediacaran                        635
Cambrian                        538
Ordovician                       485
Silurian                           443
Devonian                        419
Carboniferous                  358
Permian                          299
Triassic                           252
Jurassic                          201
Cretaceous                     145
Paleogene                        66
Neogene                          23
Quarternary                    2.6

     It is generally conceded that we have now entered the Anthropocene, where human activity is fundamentally affecting the very processes that sustain life on Earth. This period may well be the last one we are able to report on - and not for many more years at that.
                     

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

62 comments:

  1. Great post. Seeing a thing and knowing what a thing is are two separate (but linked) forms of wonder. The deeptime idea is hard for some people to grasp. Like the idea (and I think I'm right here) that the amount of time between the evolution of the Diplodocus and the T.Rex, is greater than the elapsed time between the extinction of TR and now! SM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ll be sure to take you to the Mill Race when you are here in November.

      Delete
  2. Todo comienza, por la observación de la naturaleza e ir fotografiando todo aquello que llama la atención. Después ya serenos en casa, se busca información de todo lo que se ha visto.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have these beautiful swallowtails here, which ever they may be, we love them. one of my most remembered thrills was the first time the red admiral lit on my arm, then my hand and face. since they return to the same place, each day that summer, i would stand in the same place and it would land all over me. it did not land on my hubby, we could not figure that out. since 2020 we have only had a few butterflies, drought has a lot to do with it, the drought started 4 years ago. I enjoy all your macros of insects, the beady eyes and beautiful details we never see with our human eye. to me any thing that LOOKS like a spider is a spider, or the same as. My brother used to torment me chasing me with the granddaddy long legs. I am not terrified of them but I don't want them to touch me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...David, I admire your patience take some of these images, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful series of photos David.
    Photo 2, 3 and 20 are my favorite this time.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe of your photos, and depth of knowledge. Tbe closeup of the crown vetch really struck me. I see it often but never in such glorious detail. I also found the information about the possible changes in butterfly identification interesting. Even after so many years of close observation, there are still new things for the scientists to do discover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have taken so many beautiful photos of so many lovely flowers, David. I like them all! I love to see the cat too. I'm jealous of that Swallowtail butterfly. I have only seen one here in all the years I have lived here.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers and a cat too - just about perfect for you, Marit!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it was perfect today, David!

      Delete
  8. Une balade très riche comme toujours, il faut prendre le temps de regarder tous ces petits animaux et les plantes aussi.
    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos! I had no idea there were so many variations of flys. I've seen the cabbage moth here lately, but few other butterflies. I suspect our city's spraying to reduce mosquitos impacts other insects as well.
    As for the cat, it always concerns me when I see one outdoors on its own as there are many potential dangers. This one, looks well fed so perhaps his/her owner's property is nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who let their cats roam free jeopardize the welfare of their animal (foxes, coyotes, owls, hawks etc) and put the lives of countless songbirds and small mammals at risk.

      Delete
  10. Oh yes, we are killing our own earth, an awful thought, and it's going more and more quickly. Sad. Your observations from your lovely walk are delightful, so many wonderful beauties. My fave tody was the ebony jewelwing, so beautiful. And how nice of the cat to accompany you! Perhaps the cat likes birds too! Hugs, Valerie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the cat likes birds for a totally different reason, unfortunately.

      Delete
  11. It's good to see you featuring the odonata again, David. I would love to see a Violet Dancer and, once again, the Common Whitetail really grabbed my attention. The star of the show was, for me, the Tiger Swallowtail. As for the specific species, I thought that, in these days of genetic sequencing, these things were more easily determined. A wonderful post with something for everyone, and plenty for me - thank you.

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's amazing to see the all the wildlife you come in contact with during your hike. I have to say seeing the cat really surprised me. :) Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos, David.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the damselflies so thanks for the photos. and for all the lovely life around there. it is unfortunate that humans are so intent on destroying it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such wonderful photos as always..I have always been a fan of Dragonflies and have done them in watercolor several times...
    I'm sure the kitty enjoyed visiting with the birds but I don't like seeing them run free.
    Beautiful butterfly..They are hard to photograph...always flitting here and there..
    Another wonderful walk....thanks for taking us along..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hari Om
    I adored this post, David, and also admire the many wonderful shots.

    You'd have sympathised with me yesterday, I feel, as I listened to a passer by at my park up who decided he needed to 'educate' me on the falacy of the moon landings and that the myth that the earth was round... (after two hours, he did admit he was on licensed release from a mental health establishment). We parted agreeing to disagree! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have an eye for nature, David. This is such a beautiful collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beauties those are! Great detail in the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely adventures, critters great and small.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many, many thanks. I have not a fraction of your scientific knowledge but delight in the beauty of so many (often underappreciated) species. You and Miriam make a fine team in bringing us these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post, David! I enjoyed your pictures. My favourite is the photo fo the red soldier beetles on those white flowers. I also like butterflies.
    Have a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a lovely post filled with some wonderful photographs.
    Thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Esté recorrido me ha encantado, aves, plantas, insectos, haces como yo, voy buscando de todo. Abrazos y muchas gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful pictures and accompanied by informative commentary, as always. I do worry about that cat though, as both a cat and Nature lover. It should be inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s better for the cat, small creatures and the peace of mind of the pet owners. Great Horned Owls in that area could make short work of a cat.

      Delete
  24. Love the insect and birds…There is always an interesting insect to see but many just pass them by. The colours and patterns amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insect diversity is endless, Marie, and eternally fascinating, always new things to learn.

      Delete
  25. That cat looked a tad scruffy, used to living off the land in leaner seasons. How he should be inside! It is possible to convert an indoor/outdoor fellow into an indoor cat. Just several unhappy days to put up with.

    ReplyDelete

  26. The diversity of living beings in that place during the summer is impressive, I never imagined so many species in a place of high altitude. I liked many photos, the damselflies are very good and the one I liked the most was seeing the red cardinal contrasting with the clear sky. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  27. I thought you might be interested in this bit from my blog in 2009 after an astronomy lecture at UH:
    The universe is 13.7 billion years old, dating from the Big Bang. The oxygen atoms you are breathing are 11-13 billion years old. This oxygen comes from stars and escaped in massive explosions. An oxygen catastrophe (the Ice Age) almost wiped out all life on earth. But there was some oxygen left and through photosynthesis, some plant life developed. And the rest is history. It is good to be alive!

    ReplyDelete
  28. hello David
    It has also been scientifically proven that you will find all the small creatures on the leaves, in this post again understandable explanations, thank you for that
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  29. Interesting insets and birds, the Northern Cardinal :) have one on my phone as a screen saver. Don't often see a dragon fly down here obviously don't go where they are for there are 29 species here and 5 endemic to Tasmania.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My question is, do you know all the epochs and periods by rote? Very good if you do. I can never remember them all, except a few that stand out. Now if I can ever remember the Silurian, I'll get a gold star. Nice photos. I've been watching lots of birds while working at the boat ramp, especially on quiet days. The one very strange thing I watched the other day, which shocked me, was when mama mallard went over the dam and then her 3 little ducklings followed. Now it's not a big dam, but nevertheless, it does drop off a bit. They seemed to know what they were doing and when I went over to check, I didn't see any casualties. Thankfully. Have a great mid-week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess that I do not know them by rote, Erika. My head is hanging in shame!

      Delete
  31. Another very interesting post with great photos.
    Of course I love all animals, however I find that even insects have their own particular charm.
    The dragonfly is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Preciosas y refrescanters fotos. Siempre te doy las gracias por todo lo que nos enseñas David. La primera foto ya es un remanso de paz. Y la Papilio glaucus un bellezón, como me gustaría verla por aquí. Me gusta los insectos y animales amigo, pero las moscas no las soporto, segun las veo es el insecto más sucio que existe, lo mismo la vemos posada en un excremento que en algo que nos vamos a comer.
    Buen miércoles.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful post as always. The Violet Dancer is one not wanted in the garden. LOL Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful photos. Sobering news about Earth's longevity.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Un paseo fantástico por ese parque lleno de especies interesantes. David enhorabuena por el reportaje y gracias por compartir. Espero que los grandes incendios que habéis padecido en Canadá hayan llegado ya a su fin, yo pude ver el humo canadiense desde mi casa en el norte de España. Un fuerte abrazo amigo mío!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fabulous post with a bit of everything. I love the Great Blue Heron, and that American Goldfinch I think is far mare attractive than our European one, though I am still happy to see the ones here. The Tiger Swallowtail is gorgeous and interesting that there could be a new species.

    I wonder how long it will be before the human race is extinct, the world just might recover then!

    Best wishes to you both, bisous mon ami, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi David!
    how nice it is to see the blog completely renovated with the impressive front of you two, I love it. They look so radiant in the middle of that enchanted forest. That old oak tree, it talks, right? tells fairy tales.
    You have made me laugh with the cat and his fleeting love for people, he is so superficial. But it's a cutie with those little black spots that together form a heart, ahhh beautiful.
    I am in love with michis. It happens that he is the king and we are his servants, we must understand this. his majesty grants the pleasure of caressing him and then retires to his chambers.

    Also like cardinals, butterflies, damselflies and violets, green grass, foliage... everything seems like a dream to me.
    I see that Miriam and you are enjoying a magnificent summer and i greet you from this magnificent winter: rain, wind and storms everywhere jaja!.
    Hasta la proxima!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great way to enjoy the Summer!....it seems many of them were in mating season!!.......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  39. So many beautiful specimens. I particularly liked the damselflies. Your last paragraph was chilling. How can anyone deny what is happening in front of their eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful photos as always, love all the insects and the birds. The wildflowers are pretty too. Great outing and report. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello David.
    De la plus petite mouche au très bel oiseau, la vie chez toi est toujours merveilleuse.
    Le chardonneret a ma préférence pour cet article, magnifique mais moins complexe que le nôtre !
    Bisous cher ami.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello David.
    De la plus petite mouche au très bel oiseau, la vie chez toi est toujours merveilleuse.
    Le chardonneret a ma préférence pour cet article, magnifique mais moins complexe que le nôtre !
    Bisous cher ami.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This post is filled with so many marvelous distinct creations, especially the bugs. Such compelling names as Flesh Fly, the Harvestman with incredibly long and delicate legs, the Willow Leaf Beetle, Eastern Forktail inspire the imagination and are easy to miss were it not for your stellar eye.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lovely post. I can't take my eyes off your wonderful photos. I am fascinated by butterflies and dragonflies.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  45. As a walks leader for HF Holidays I used to use the following method to explain the age of rocks. If there were children present I gave some of them lolly sticks with things written on them such as "1066 - Norman invasion", "End of Ice Age", "formation of Limestone rocks" and so on. I marked a line on the ground and said "We're starting our walk here - stop!" and 1cm on I marked 1066. Another centimetre and we were back to 0 AD. Continuing to use that scale, by the time we took our mid-morning break we were back into the age of some of the rocks, 3.5 to 4 Km into our walk. The poor child who had the stick with "Approximate age of the earth" marked on it still had more than 40 Km still to walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should try this technique with some of the “kids” on my walks, John.

      Delete
  46. You have shown and named many types of flies, David. For me, they are all similar and from them it is necessary to put a protective net on the window). But I know a white butterfly - it is a pest of many cruciferous plants and I constantly catch it in a net in May-June. Blue dragonflies often fly over my pond, I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I am biased, but my favourite shots are of that cat.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Recently I've noticed that you're writing so much more about bugs and other insects - maybe you should rename your blog into Travels with Birds and Bugs. It is wonderfully edicational since I don't know much about insects and love learning about them. I'm happy if I can identify a Fiery Skipper (which I am only able to because I like them so much). However, plants are different, and even there I see a lot of plants I don't know simply because we don't have them here. The white flower I would definitely identify as penstemon without being able to be more precise. Oh, I love Wild Teasel and have taken many pictures of it - I'm especially fond of the dried stage. Hm, a cat on the trail - not good, neither for the cat nor for the wildlife. As much as I love cats, I think it's highly irresponsible to let them roam freely. That, of course, is the way how I got adopted by my neighbor's cat. I do feel responsible for that cat now since it is not his fault that he found a place that he likes better... Anyway, beautiful walks with lots of exciting sightings - thank you, David, for shring this with us. I always appreciate your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi David,
    Isn't it fascinating all those wonders of nature! The insects, plants and sunning birds. All beautifully captured!
    Hug,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers