Tuesday, December 06, 2022

At home, F. W. R. Dickson Wilderness Area

 24 November, 2022
At home, Waterloo, ON

     Our feeders have been especially well patronized of late, and at least two, maybe three White-breasted Nuthatches (Sitta carolinensis) have frequently been seen carrying away seeds to add to their winter storage.


     It is a very appealing species and quite confident around humans. I suspect that many birds recognize me as the bearer of food and on that score do not flee immediately I appear in the backyard.


     Black-capped Chickadees (Poecile atricapillus) and nuthatches are often found together.


     Where there are chickadees and nuthatches, a Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) is usually not far behind.


     American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) is muted in dress once it moults to basic plumage, but is still a very attractive little bird.


     It seems to be possessed of a quarrelsome gene and scuffles and argues with others for no reason that we can detect.


     An Eastern Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) remains aloof from the goings on around it and concentrates on maximizing its share of the available food, quick to snatch every seed rained down from the feeders above.



22 November, 2022
F.W.R. Dickson Wilderness Area, Cambridge, ON

     The ongoing presence of three Tufted Titmouses (Baeolophus bicolor) at this location has meant that many birders and photographers flock there on a regular basis, taking with them great quantities of bird seed which they strew around liberally. As you might expect, the birds have not been reticient about exploiting this bonanza.
     As we got close to the boardwalk we heard the familiar nasal call of White-breasted Nuthatch and saw our first individual of this species, perched as though taking a shift as an official greeter.


     An Eastern Grey Squirrel cared not one iota for such formalities and preoccupied itsef with snacking before dark.


     It was mere moments before the first Tufted Titmouse swooped in and perched right in front of us.


     It is such an appealing little bird!


      The woodlands and forests of Ontario would be more dreary places without endearing Black-capped Chickadees (Poecile atricapillus) to add cheer to a dull fall day.


     I am sure that many a gruff nature-skeptic has been won over by the gentle presence of a chickadee on an outstretched hand. They are ambassadors for biodiversity!
     Dark-eyed Juncos (Junco hyemalis), freshly arrived from the north, are no less ambassadors of good will.


     How often does a Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) perch so close you could reach out and touch it?


     This female was not shy about sharing her day with us.
     Here you see a White-breasted Nuthatch with an American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea) in hazy profile.


     There is food for all, however, and the sparrow joined others at the buffet.


     Even viewed dorsally it is a very attractive species.


     White-breasted Nuthatches jockeyed for position with the tree sparrows, one specific section of the rail seeming to hold an appeal for them, but lost on us.



     One of the classic identification characters on an American Tree Sparrow is its bicoloured mandibles.


     You may clearly see that the upper madible is dark and the lower mandible yellow. Also visible is the central breast spot, also characteristic of this species.
     The Tufted Titmouses were back and forth the whole time and Miriam took many pictures.


     Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis) did not approch with anywhere near the regularity of its white-breasted cousin, but it was equally fearless.


     At times, three or four Downy Woodpeckers were all visible at the same time.


     One never becomes blasé about a Black-capped Chickadee.



     Or a Dark-eyed Junco for that matter.


     I am quite convinced that this activity represents territorial expansion for Tufted Titmouse and that within a few years it will be a common breeding species here. How delightful that will be!


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

60 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Such delights in these darker days to brighten our eyes and hearts! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birds are amazing to see in the winter. So small but tough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My feeders, on the other hand, have not been well-patronized and I have wondered why. In the past, by this time of year, I would have to be refilling my feeders almost daily, but now several days pass without much perceptible diminution in the amount of seeds. I suspect that many of the birds who used to visit us in winter are now spending their winters farther north as the climate warms but I've no actual evidence to support my theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...David, you saw an amazing collection, thanks sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am echoing YAM. Thank you (and Miriam) so very much. And yes, I am convinced that many birds recognise individual people. Which no doubt works both ways. Some of us they welcome and others are treated with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all very beautiful, David, and lovely photos. The American Goldfinch and the Tufted Titmouses are very cute. I love them all.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love seeing all your backyard critters!! You have a much wider attendance than I do, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A big WOW from me :)
    They are all beautiful photographs, but the Tufted Titmouse is my favourite, so cute.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such small birds but so hardy. Love the juncos, tree sparrows and chickadees we see on our boardwalk too. The red-breasted nuthatch is common here too but not the white. Those downies are tiny but amazing little creatures. A walk can be so interesting if you engage with nature!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every bird pictured here was a frequent visitor to my Boston Township yard. It's good to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting what you said about the birds recognising you. I have often felt that they do. We even had a friendly blackbird once that definitely behaved like it recognised the people it lived around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delightful birds ! Nicely captured too

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also believe that birds know people, well some of us as we have a blackbird who visits often.
    Tufted Titmouses, now that is a beautiful bird.. good photos of all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recognise that "quarrelsome gene"; our Magpies have it in abundance and simply cannot leave anything alone. What's more they don't confine their activities to birds that are their own size or smaller. It seems that many species are expanding their territories here too, while others have deserted us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great photo of the different birds.
    Many species are not found in the Netherlands, which is why I like being able to see them through photos.
    I enjoyed your blog again.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi David - excellent photos from Miriam ... and I love seeing those posted for our delight - thanks and cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great outing, beautiful collection of birds and photos. One of my favorites is the Nuthatch with the Tree Sparrow. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, David. I was immediately struck by the similarities in appearance of your American Goldfinch in its non-breeding plumage and our female Chaffinch. Unless there was a great difference in size, I think that I would miss an absolute rarity if one of yours landed on our feeders!

    It is a particularly atractive array of birds that you are showing in this post. I can, however, never resist a woodpecker or a nuthatch (which I always think of as 'honorary woodpeckers' for some reason).

    The sun is, at last, shining here but today we have our first sub-zero temperatures of the winter. I wish that I was able to get out and enjoy it, but we are busy sorting out for Lindsay's hospitalisation early on Friday.

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I will have to go and look at pictures of female Chaffinches!

      Delete
  19. I have just fallen in love with the Tufted Titmouse.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful birds and pictures !
    The squirrels are so cute !
    We don't have this diversity of birds here...
    Have a cozy day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great images David. I can imagine a day where you need not move apart from stretching to fill up the coffee cup, a few hundred images later you end up with a post such as this.... Excellent location, topic and post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The winter feeder birds are a great group of bird species. I know at least some of my chickadees recognize me as they sit very nearby while I hang the newly filled feeders. And when I go out there, they don't go too far off either. I'm not sure about the nuthatches and titmouses though. You snapped some great photos. Are you getting snow in this storm I saw on the news? I don't know why the national news never carries the weather into Canada. Our local news often does. Have a super middle of your week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snow at all here, Erika. It is mild too. Yesterday the temperature climbed to six degrees.

      Delete
  23. Beautiful collection birds. Nice photos. I like the dark squirrel. It's not going very well here. Have a nice day. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  24. David, I always learn so much from you. Thank you. The photos are just amazing. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous set of photos as always, The Tufted Titmouse is adorable and I love the American Tree Sparrow. Richard is right the Goldfinch does look very like a female chaffinch. Our Goldfinches are so different with their red heads.
    I hope all is well, bisous Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am always delighted to be able to appreciate all these wonderful birds through your "looks". It must be fantastic to have nature so close to home, I would love to live in such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That grey squirrel has such beautiful color and markings. Gray squirrels are just gray here.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm going to have to take a closer look at the activity in my trees. I thought I was seeing only Chickadees, until I noticed a Chickadee-like bird making its way up and down the limbs. Now I think it might well be a Nuthatch, particularly since you mentioned they enjoy being around the Chickadees and Downy Woodpeckers, and I have both.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great collection of pictures!...I love the picture of the Chickadee!!......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  30. The Tufted Titmouse is fairly common here so I was surprised to hear that people are seeking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are just to the north of its traditional range, Linda, but as I saud above I expect this is about to change.

      Delete
  31. Buenos días, queridos amigos, la verdad que tienes bien concurrido el patio trasero de muchas bellezas, ellos ya saben de sobra quien habita esa casa y conocen del buen comportamiento facilitando un poco de comida y buen trato en el duro invierno.
    El parque también estaba muy bien concurrido y habéis podido obtener muy bellas imágenes, son todas preciosas, mi felicitación a Miriam por su buen hacer.
    Un gran abrazo, queridos amigos y feliz resto de semana. Ya tenemos bien cerca la Navidad un año más.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi David.

    Many beautiful birds.
    The Red-bellied Woodpecker is very beautiful.
    Also very nice the Squirrels.

    Beautiful pictures.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Son preciosas las aves y la ardilla de tus fotografías.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I see nuthatches, chickadees and Downys at my feeders but I wish I saw more of the elusive tufted titmouse, which I think is so pretty! Mostly I see sparrows, chicks and the occasional cardinal pair. The jays seem to keep away from the feeder. I wish the squirrel did! No amount of baffle baffles him!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi David, these Tufted Titmouses look lovely; I can imagine Miriam couldn't stop making pictures. Please tell her I enjoy looking at her images very much. Also the ones she made in you own zoo at your backyard.

    Best regards, Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Que precioso reportaje. Voy a tener que poner también comederos en mi jardín, para sacar fotos tan preciosas como las de Miriam. No pongo comederos, por que por aquí suelen tener bastante comida, ahora terminaron con los higos de la higuera y les quedan las semillas de varios árboles, pero puede que este invierno les ponga un poco de alpiste y alguna cosa más, ya te contaré. Abrazos para los dos.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's nice to see all these cute birds next to your house David. I love tits, nuthatches, goldfinches. woodpeckers... These birds live next to us too. Great photos, nature is always soothing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wonderful pictures as always. Chickadee's I think might be my favorite bird, they're just so cute and tiny. We have a rodent problem in my community and people have been discouraged from using bird feeders as it seems to add to the problem. So, we don't put feeders out, but seem to have a sizeable bird population just the same. I wish the city would actually do something about the rat problem so people would feel more comfortable putting out seed, as the weather is getting cold.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite sure that many share your affection for chickadees, Sandy.

      Delete
  39. You just answered a question I had for a while - what is the plural of titmouse. I was never sure whether it's titmouses or titmice. Now I know. Anyone who claims that English is an easy language, never had to learn it as a second language. I also learned a new word in your post - mandible. "Your" titmouse is more colorful than "ours", the Oak Titmouse, but just as cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still those who will say Titmice, Carola, but the established correct plural is Titmouses. I have always thought that English would be an incredibly difficult language to learn. You write it impeccably, with nuance and style. Very impressive.

      Delete
  40. Not sure if my comment went through, the American Goldfinch is a handsome bird and you r images shares it. Glad you know where my "Masked" one lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi David,
    I have already said before that you are lucky to have such a variety of animals in your garden. With us western jackdaws and and eurasian bluejays are chasing every other bird away, in fact terrorising our garden and surroudings. It must be quite a pleasure to see so many colourful birds ánd different kinds of squirrels in your garden.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  42. I was amazed at the buffet you share with birds in your area and how many take advantage of that buffet. Your photos are both beautiful and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  43. hello David
    I don't get to see so many different birds here all year round, great report and very nice photos
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to come and visit, Frank, and we'll take you out for a few days.....a week......whatever you want!

      Delete
  44. I do like the chickadees and the tufted titmice, two of my most common visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Such a great variety of birds! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I see Tufted Titmouse fairly often at my feeders. I feel my closest connection to my backyard birds when I go to the feeders and they don't fly away, as I do believe they recognize my husband and I. Even the blue jays don't fly too far off, but I can't say the same for the cardinals!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers