Tuesday, November 01, 2022

Wanderings through the Region

"Bird watching is not merely bird watching. Bird watching brightens our lives. Let us do what we can to share it with our friends. Let us give them the sight of life in action and help them appreciate the joy of life."
Lam Chiu Ying

23 October, 2022
The Linear Trail, Cambridge, ON

     Twenty-three degrees in not normal at the end of October, but we took advantage of a warm, sunny day to explore parts of the Linear Trail.


     Conditions were as near to perfect as one might imagine.


     Wild Cucumber (Echinocystis lobata) seems to have had a very successful year.


     As has been the case so often this fall, there was an almost continual presence of Myrtle Warblers (Setophaga coronata) busily snapping up aerial insects, and gleaning for the larvae of others.


     Every bend in the trail was glorious.


     American Robins (Turdus migratorius) were feeding principally on buckthorn berries; some will migrate but many choose to remain here for the winter, more each year it seems.


     A female Hairy Woodpecker (Leuconotopicus villosus) seemed reluctant to turn her head.



     Mallards (Anas platyrynchos) were dabbling close to shore.


     Windborne seeds have colonized this log in mid stream and produced a dazzling display.


     Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) seemed to pause in migration, spiralling on the thermals, wings outspread, perhaps detecting a meal below them.


     Various little side trails proceed down to the river, trodden down principally by legions of fisherfolk making their way there.


     Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca), so vital to the Monarch (Danaus plexippus), is attractive at any stage of its development, but in the fall when it releases its seeds to the wind it attains the pinnacle of perfection.


     There were hundreds of Red-winged Blackbirds (Agelaius phoeniceus) gathering together for migration. For the most part they were concealed deep in the reeds, but every so often one would show itself.


     If trees could talk, what might this denizen of the woods have to say? 


     Much that would interest us, and perhaps astonish us, I have no doubt.

24 October, 2022
Benjamin Park, Waterloo, ON

     The trail to the park starts behind our house, and walking over to it the ravishing colours of autumn were ubiquitous.


     There are those who profess to enjoy a climate of perpetual summer, but that is not for me; in fact I am of the opinion that it would be abominable. 
     The leaf of a Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) is close to perfection in my estimation.


     The trail looked perfect with its carpet of leaves.


     The nasal call of White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) was frequently heard, and several times we observed the birds busily occupied with building up their winter storage.


     One hole seemed to be of particular interest. It's always good to come at it from both directions.


     A Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) is often a difficult bird to photograph since it barely remains stationary for a moment, and when it does it seems always to be concealed behind a leaf or a tangle of branches!


     Black-capped Chickadees (Poecile atricapillus) were quick to exploit the seeds of Canada Goldenrod (Solidago canadensis).


     It is not only birds that are making preparations for winter. This squirrel drey bears evidence of new material that has been added.


     Before long, several squirrels will huddle together for warmth inside this snug den as the snows of December paint the landscape white.

25 October, 2022
A walk on the Mill Race with Mary

     I had not seen Mary for a few weeks so it was with pleasure that I joined her for a stroll along the Mill Race in St. Jacobs.
     A Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) signalled its approval by coming to meet us almost as soon as our feet hit the ground.


     White-breasted Nuthatches were not far behind.


     American Beavers (Castor canadensis) raid cornfields adjacent to the Mill Race and drag stalks of corn into the water, presumably as a source of food. Mallards are quick to take advantage of this feast laid out for them, quacking their appreciation I have no doubt.




     Here you see the path created by the beavers as they drag the corn from the field.


     We were excited to see three or four Red Fox Sparrows (Passerella iliaca) but were never able to get close to these wary birds.


     American Robins (Turdus migratorius) were feeding on berries of various kinds, especially buckthorn, and we were happy to have them join our walk.


     The highlight of the day was a small flock of Rusty Blackbirds (Euphagus carolinus), a bird seen less and less frequently, and in small numbers.


     Eighty-six percent of the population of this species breeds in Canada and it is everywhere in trouble. It is rated as as vulnerable or endangered, depending on the jurisdiction, but is in jeopardy throughout its range in the boreal forest.


     As usual the source of its predicament is anthropogenic - wetland conversion, forest clearing, changes to surface hydrology, mercury contamination, wetland acidification and so on. You can probably complete the sad litany yourself.
     I am reminded of Ed Yong's statement in his excellent book An Immense World (if you haven't read it you should):

"We now live in the Anthropocene - a geological epoch defined and dominated by the deeds of our species. We have instigated what some scientists have called an era of 'biological annihilation,' comparable to the five great mass extinctions of prehistory."

     A Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) gives not a moment's thought to such weighty matters.


     Sometimes perhaps ignorance really is bliss.
     A beaver dam as you may see is a formidable structure. It is not lightly that we refer to beavers as nature's engineers.



     I am confident that some of you recall that on a visit to RIM Park a couple of months ago, we came across a delightful example of Homo sapiens ebikeensis - see here.
     Amazingly, another subspecies was sighted, Homo sapiens benefactor, named for obvious reasons as you see below.


     The morphology of the two recognizable subspecies is quite different, but one may clearly note that it is the same species by an examination of the broad grin and impressive dentition.
     Chickadees and nuthatches were enthralled to welcome this bepedal friend.



     I am sure that no one will object to one more picture showing the intensity of autumnal foliage.


     As is often the case a Muskrat (Ondatra zibethicus) went about its business.


     I was feeling very satisfied after a successful walk with many wonderful sightings, when I noted a Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) just as I was leaving St. Jacobs.


     Not a bad way to end the morning if you ask me.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

75 comments:

  1. I do not wish to have summer all year round, and the weather we are having now is not a good sign. But I'm happy about all the rain we get here now, because otherwise it would have come as snow.
    The japanese maples are very pretty, and as you know I love them very much.
    Your last photo today is very beautiful. I wish I could see hawks like that here.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a rainy and cold September, October showed a beautiful, golden face of autumn. This wonderful time should be used for walking, traveling and enjoying nature.
    David, I can't take my eyes off your wonderful photos, beautiful birds, wonderful autumn landscapes.Thank you very much.
    I am sending hugs and greetings from autumn Poland:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, David

    Another great day and outing. The fall colors and scenery are beautiful. Gorgeous collection of bird photos. I would love to hand feed the birds, such fun. The Fox Sparrow is a favorite on this post, even though I love all the birds. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delightful outing in such a beautiful autumnal setting, but is all well? We too have had unusually warm weather along with similar temperatures to you. The flowers are confused - my rose bush is covered in new buds, a locquat tree, I planted many years ago from a seed found in its fruit, is in blossom, and the hedgehogs and dormice are finding the weather confusing. Normally at this time of year they are going into hibernation, but not this year.
    Incidentally I contacted our blog friend again - my comment has been shown. I am confused! But do hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think all is well, Rosemary. However pleasant these conditions may be from a human perspective, they are troubling.

      Delete
    2. Hi Yes - I agree ... it doesn't look promising - hopefully he'll come back soon. H

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    It has been unseasonably mild this side too - still the wind and the rain, but just not cold with it. At least, not as cold as usual. Very concerning if one takes the wider view, as I know you do. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed all these wonderful shots of your walk through the autumnal glory! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have just ended a month of warmer temperatures which were wonderful for our excursions but scary as we think long term.

    So many wonderful sightings in this post, David. I especially enjoyed the beaver dam. Love the muskrats and the birds that feed out of hand. Some of our boardwalk animals do the same. Our blackbirds disappeared in late August. We miss their chattering. Love the ducks too. We saw Mallards, Black Ducks and a female Hooded Merganser yesterday. Our sightings of ducks have decreased this autumn since the national park is closed due to Fiona damage. We miss going there.

    I tried a fix for those who don’t get notice of my new blog postings. I hope it worked and didn’t create a problem. Let me know if it worked. If not I will reverse the “fix.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie:
      i'm not sure what the "fix" is. I'll let you know if I receive a notification of your next post.

      Delete
  7. The quote today is perfect for your blog that is always filled with the activities of birds. I think I would have mistaken a muskrat for a beaver and unfortunately I don't recall ever seeing either in person. Oddly warm in your neck of the woods for this time of year but the autumn is as always … spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, what a beauty this milkweed! I like your photos or photos of Miriam, flowers, birds, Homo sapiens. The autumn photos are wonderful, the colors are fantastic. Here autumn turns gray, loses its yellow beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many beautiful places to explore in your area...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi David - what great photographs ... I always love seeing what you post ... I've just ordered Ed Yong's book. The common milkweed is most definitely not common as your photo shows ... while the wild cucumber - reminds me of a plant in Namibia that settled the sand/soil ... it crept all over the place - not the same at all I realise.

    The Autumn colours are glorious aren't they ... and excellent you met up with your bicycling friend - the one with protrusions ... keenly noted I read!

    It's now bucketing here ... swathes of heavy showers very unpleasant ... I'm staying home to read!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to let me know what you think of the book, Hilary.

      Delete
    2. I've only read the first couple of pages - but I'm entranced ... so will continue on (at some stage) ... I'm very glad you pointed me in that direction - thank you! Such a fascinating book ... cheers Hilary

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful walk you had and what a wonderful and colorful season. We don't get that much glorious color here but we appreciate what we do get.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great outing you had.
    Such beautiful nature and the birds are beautiful again, many species do not occur in the Netherlands, so I enjoy it every time.
    I couldn't live without birds.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed you post. I wih I could see that Red-winged Blackbird with my own eyes. Thank you for sharing all this beauty, David.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spectacular pictures! Thanks for sharing your walk. I’m glad I did not have to duck under the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello David :=)

    How I love Autumn, for the colourful scenic views, and there are such gorgeous automanual photos on your post. I like the way the trees arch over the woodland paths on your walk, and the ground carpeted with beautiful orange and red leaves. You always encounter so much wildlife on your outings. Lovely captures of all the birds, and I particularly enjoyed seeing the birds eating out of your hand.

    Last week we had torrential rainstorms, and thunder, the temperature dropped 12 degrees over night, but today is mild weather with sunny periods, and much to my amazement some of my summer flowering plants are blooming again. Nature is definitely confused!
    Lovely post David
    Warm good wishes and hugs from your birder extraordinaire from Portugal :=)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Une belle sortie avec beaucoup d'observations. Les arbres sont jolies et j'aime bien le nid de l'écureuil. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  17. The leaf carpet trail is epic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is wild cucumber edible? Beavers really work hard on their dams. I've seen a couple. I was so sad at work yesterday. I went outside to see my duck friends during the morning. One was dead in the grass near the drainage ditch where they swim. Then I went out again during the afternoon and one was dead in the water. I'm afraid they've been poisoned.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild cucumbers are not eaten by humans and to the best of my knowledge not by other animals either.

      Delete
  19. We too are getting much warmer than average temperatures at this time, David, but ours are accompanied by much rain and often stiff winds. You seem to be getting some much more useful weather, although the underlying reasons are more than a little worrying.

    I feel greatly compensated by the fact that your good weather has allowed you to show us the fabulous autumn colours there, and the wildlife that is enjoying that beautiful environment.

    I was very surprised to learn Beavers harvest the corn in that way. Come to think of it, I had never considered what might be the preferred food sources for Beavers.

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This business of gathering corn is an oddity, Richard. Their normal food is bark, leaves, twigs and certain kinds of aquatic vegetation.

      Delete
  20. Summer? All year round? Shudder. That sounds like a foretaste of hell to me.
    As for your photos and your walks? Oooh. Ahhh. And thank you. Muchly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I find beavers fascinating (although I have never seen one in real life); they are such industrious creatures.
    The autumn colours in your area are glorious indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, impressive this trail! Nature was very creative.
    The nuthatch is very common, we see it on each of your walks.
    You know, I've tried seeds in my hand, but at home it really doesn't work. You would have to do it with whole generations....
    Gros bisous David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before you come to Ontario, Nathalie, I will announce to all the chickadees and nuthatches that a delicate, beautiful French hand will be making an appearance on the trail and they will be lined up to land there. I promise!

      Delete
  23. Thank for sharing your beautiful photos, David. It must be nice to walk the trail and see all those beautiful birds and the colourful trees.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Buenas tardes, apreciado David, de una mala manera de terminar la mañana, nada estimado amigo, mejor no pudo ser, muy buenos y abundantes avistamientos, bella naturaleza otoñal, ingeniosas construcciones por esos auténticos ingenieros castores y sobre todo un espléndido día para unas fechas tan avanzadas. No cabe duda que estamos perjudicando al planeta y contribuyendo de manera tan significativa al cambio climático. Nada más Dios sabe que futuro espera valga la redundancia a las futuras generaciones.
    Has sido un verdadero placer este paseo acompañado como siempre de tu sabiduría y guiado de tu mano y vista para captar la belleza en su plenitud.
    Un gran abrazo amigo y compadre David.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was a lovely trip! Thankfully our bugs are mostly gone, except for those lady beetles. I enjoyed the changing seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my, that beautiful fall foliage! And I hope to see some of those Myrtle Warblers in my yard in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given them specific instructions to find your yard, Dorothty!

      Delete
  27. Gorgeous colours of most of leaves and the landscape is pleasing to my eyes, beautiful.
    The birds are always wonderful and of course that Northern Cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos on your walks. I love the change of seasons, especially after having lived on the equator for many years. Autumn with its brilliant foliage and sudden change from summer to almost winter is my favourite season.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi David,
    so at your side of the world the sun keeps on shining also. As we enjoyed lovely temperatures for a long time. But nevertheless the trees are showing their autumn colors - you show us some amazingly beautiful examples.
    I enjoyed your lovely blog on your autumn walks.

    Best regards, Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cada vez me dan más ganas de ir a pasear contigo, todo se ve maravilloso. Por aquí el tiempo está un poco loco, pero ha llovido que hacía mucha falta. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  31. There are so many amazing places to walk around you.
    Extraordinary photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. David I would have loved to have seen the Mandarin Duck in the wild, and the Wood Duck. Yes, we would have celebrated big time.:=)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would love summer all year. I guess since I don't really get summer. LOL The photos are simply amazing. I love seeing the wild cucumber. A great find. Thank you for sharing all of the beauty around you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So much nature going on during your morning walk. It was enjoyable seeing it all.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great day, perfect for walking and getting out and about enjoying nature.
    Your Autumn/Fall colours are wonderful, and I did enjoy seeing the different birds.
    Thank you for such a lovely post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes, David, you did have a wonderful series of walks. Your autumn foliage is as colorful as what I witnessed in the local park here a couple of weeks ago, but late last week those colors have been muted or most of the leaves are now on the pathways. My camera lens is nowhere near as powerful as your own to capture the variety of wildlife you see on your walks, so I appreciate all that you show in these posts. Those curved trees at the beginning of this post were quite interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  37. My magpie mates have been greeting me...loudly...the past few mornings. Singing at top volume while standing up close and personal at my sliding screen door. They are a friendly lot!! :)

    Thankfully, we're having a slow start to summer down this way...and I hope the slow pace remains. I prefer the cooler weather than the stifling heat. :)

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your Red-winged Blackbirds will be here soon; at least, some will arrive. The Sandhill Cranes are here now, although I've only heard them, and seen two in flight. There's just so much movement this time of year: Coots, Teal, and various warblers are coming in now -- it's like greeting old friends. Delightful as your birds are, my favorite photo is of the leaf-carpeted trail. You photo successfully evoked the sense of decaying leaves: another favorite fall experience.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi David.

    A lot of beauty.
    Nice birds.
    I really like the tree stumps.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The weather is unpredictable these days. Currently we are having rainy days and more rain are expected. Hope there will be no flooding as we will be going out to cast our vote in the middle of this month. Really enjoy the photos of beautiful birds and walking trails with autumn colours.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I so enjoyed this trail walk with you, I felt and saw every creature and colour as I wandered my way through with you for great company, Thank you so much.
    Perpetual summer I agree would be too much but I would be happy if autumn just went to spring! This year though has been strange. First a drought and high temperatures followed now by high winds and rain. The plants are confused as are, it seems, some of the birds. I am still picking tomatoes and chillies from the garden in November!!!!
    Take care, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  42. Kolejna ciekawa wycieczka. Bardzo lubię oglądać takie Twoje reportaże. Ciekawa obserwacja ptaków i piękne jesienne pejzaże.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your fall colors are spectacular! Lots of nice birds still around, too. We have flocks of Yellow-rumped warblers right now, too. They are such busy little birds, always moving.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I like taking these walks with you. You always see so many birds and get photos too. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your cardinal is my favourite of these.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Fantástico reportaje, me he entretenido mucho leyendo y viendo las magníficas fotos que habéis realizado. Enhorabuena David, un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi David, your walks are always full of interesting observations of both flora and fauna, as well as accurate comments about the problems that we humans cause in those wonderful habitats that you show us. A big hug friend.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you so much for sharing this with FFO.

    ReplyDelete
  49. The cardinal is beautiful. They don't visit me anymore, though. I was watching a documentary on woodpeckers last night. I had NO idea there were so many different types, from tree to cave and more.

    I hate summer. Give me spring or autumn, and even winter, but not summer. There is only SO much you can take off and still be able to legally go outside.

    It is a beautiful autumn in your world right now. Your photos show autumn in all its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Excellent post, I really enjoyed the narrative, your opinions and the images, they give me an idea of ​​what your neighborhood is like, a distant place and at the same time different from my daily reality.
    I found that definition of H. s. benefactor, very successful. And out of curiosity I read the phrase "Sometimes perhaps ignorance is really bliss", it seemed very familiar to me, it's my thought, almost 20 years ago I made a similar exclamation in a human embryology class when learning about the possibilities of genetic malformations and its consequences; It was so etched in my mind that I used it other times in some other talk.
    And I'm also from the team that doesn't like perpetual summer, at least if they were the same as the ones where I live. A big hug friend David

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hello David,
    Another great walk and report. Margaret's photos are always a treat to see, I love the birds and all the nature scenes. It is too hard to pick a favorite, they are all beautiful birds, critters and photos. Autumn is a great time for walks in nature, the colors are stunning. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Birding with you through your photos is always a lot of fun. We have an occasional rusty blackbird here too — I didn’t know they were in trouble.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so many years ago Rusty Blackbirds were predictable spring and fall, Mae, but no longer can they be relied on.

      Delete
  53. Love that spot of red, the cardinal. Well, the good thing about perpetual summer in Hawaii is that it's less expensive, i.e., no heating bills and no need for seasonal changes in clothing. I lived in NYC 1970-1975 and absolutely hated the very cold winters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I embrace winter and look forward to it every year. On the coldest day I can dress for the weather and stay warm, but oppressive heat (generally accompanied by biting insects) is impossible to escape.

      Delete
  54. Thank you, dear David, those were wonderful walks again. I leave all the plants in the garden for a long time so that the birds can get to the seed heads. Of course I also have winter food and bird baths...
    But for now let's just enjoy the fall. Yes, simply stunningly beautiful.
    And yes, I'm looking forward to the snow.
    Thank you for your photos.
    p.s. My husband and I recently saw the very small coal tits on a walk in the woods and were totally happy about it.
    Greetings to you. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  55. The muskrat is a neat critter to watch and I'm amazed at how many birds blend in to their environment, like the Robins! I love seeing the beautiful trees and nice color. You take the best photos and enjoy the outdoors as much as I do. Love that first quote!

    ReplyDelete
  56. The opening quote really speaks to me. I love when people come to my house and notice the birds in the backyard. Most of them are oblivious to them in their daily lives, and it is so satisfying to point out that they are all around us, if they just open their eyes and take notice! The milkweed picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers