Friday, October 28, 2022

Happenings and Sightings of late

 07 October, 2022
At home, Waterloo, ON

     Somehow, in my last post I forgot to include the visit of a Northern Yellow Sac Spider (Cheiracanthium mildei) to our bathroom. 


     It scurried off hastily to some secluded corner and we have not seen it since.
     This species is synanthropic so it was not surprising to find it in our house. It is known to build its silken retreat in corners where wall meets ceiling, but we have seen no evidence of this, so perhaps our eight-legged friend died, or found its way to another part of the house where we have not yet discovered it.

20 October, 2022
A ramble through the countryside

     The black morph of Eastern Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) is found only in the northern part of its range, and people unfamiliar with it could be forgiven for thinking it a separate species.


      We have been having what is tantamount to a love affair with horses of late, unabashedly I might add. They are nothing short of magnificent.



     I am not sure of the exact breed of these draught horses, but they are huge animals. The largest of this group seemed about as big as a small elephant.
 

     It had the strange habit of grabbing onto the bridle of one of the others and leading it around in the manner a human might do.


     What a splendid group of domesticated beasts.


     One other horse was in the same field, but seemed to keep its own company.


     A farm on the outskirts of Wallenstein rents a couple of Mute Swans (Cygnus olor) to adorn their pond each year. They are still present but will probably be returned by the end of the month.


     As soon as our vehicle rolls to a halt the swans swim out towards us, evidently accustomed to people feeding them.
     A Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) is always an impressive sight cruising overhead.


     From giant horses with feet as big as pancakes to the smallest foal, equines are endearing.


     Did someone declare a national day of rest for Ring-billed Gulls (Larus delawarensis)?


     Not for a Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) this lethargy. There are fish to be caught.


     Several Song Sparrows (Melospiza melodia) were feeding in weedy vegetation along the banks of the river.


     No doubt they kept a watchful eye on the heron whose tastes in food are very catholic; it wouldn't hesitate to gobble down a Song Sparrow hors d'oeuvre given the chance.
     The serenity of a river or stream is hard to beat.


     Miriam and I have seen this scene more times than if I were to count the fingers and toes of all who read this post - and double it - yet it never ceases to impart a sense of calm and an impression of timeless beauty. 
This river will be flowing gracefully long after we have become compost!
     You would probably be hard pressed to find a cheering section for Common Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) in North America where the species is not native, but they are part of our avifauna (deliberately introduced by us it bears noting) and deserve our respect - and perhaps even grudging admiration.


     A couple of trees were laden with them.


      No one has anything but warm, fuzzy feelings about a Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens).


     Blue Jays (Cyanocitta cristata) appear to have been exceptionally numerous this year, sometimes moving through our area in large flocks.


     Mallards (Anas platyrynchos) in a stream are a source of perpetual delight, in some ways evoking the child in all of us.


     The quiet dignity of a Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) is an enduring image.



21 October, 2022
At home, Waterloo, ON

     As we were getting into the car I noticed a Seven-spotted Lady Beetle (Coccinella septempunctata) on the driveway.


     This invader from Europe has become the dominant ladybug in North America, so much so that I seldom see native species any more.

Another ramble through the countryside

     Not far from our house is a tree farm/garden centre, and at this time of the year pumpkins are a big item.


     People buy them to bake pies and muffins, and to make delicious pumpkin soup, and they are carved as Jack o' Lanterns for Halloween. 


     It's a special time of year, especially for children who look forward to getting dressed in their costumes and going door to door to gather treats. Dentists of the world no doubt rub their hands in glee!
     The beauty of the landscape thrills us.




"The bluebird is like a speck of clear blue sky near the end of a storm, reminding us of an ethereal region and a heaven which we had forgotten."
Henry David Thoreau

     It is not so many years ago that Eastern Bluebirds (Sialis sialia) were in a very steep decline. Bluebird enthusiasts took up the fight to save the Eastern Bluebird (and other species too), principally by erecting nest boxes in suitable habitat, and scrupulously monitoring and maintaining them, and the results have been spectacular.

Adult ♂

Juvenile ♂

     Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) were streaming through on migration, although remarkably a few stay here for the winter.


     I remember about thirty years ago finding a  Turkey Vulture on a Christmas Bird Count and it was exceptional. Thank goodness I had a partner to authenticate the sighting since it was prior to the ubiquity of digital cameras. Today it is still a rare event, but no longer unexpected.
     At several Mennonite farms, late season produce was available for free or on a pay-what-you-like basis.



     It is a bit of a reaffirmation for me that human goodness can still be found. Good food should not be permitted to go to waste and this largesse is a laudable act of charity and kindess.
     Is there a more sublime sight that a horse and buggy travelling along a country road?


     It is common practice for Mennonites to enlarge their houses as successive generations get married and require a home. Sometimes they become very big, with addition after addition.


     You get an impression of a community that supports and nurtures Mennonites when a business is devoted to harnesses.


      There are businesses specializing in making and repairing carriages too.


     We passed this roadside apple tree where much of the fruit had already fallen to the ground and Miriam decided that apple sauce was in the cards.


     She was very fortunate that I was in the car to provide precise directions to the best ones to pick!


     I am pleased to report that she did an excellent job.
     Along the way we saw three Northern Harriers (Circus hudsonius) and Miriam, fresh from her apple-plucking success, was able to get at least a reasonable picture of one of them.


     The Great Blue Heron we had seen the day before was in the same spot in the river; no doubt the fishing is good there.


     We passed another apple tree when a gust of wind dislodged quite a lot of them. Sheep grazing in the field evidently heard the noise and recognized it and came running over to gorge on the fruit.


     Who knew that sheep were fond of apples?
     Back at home we set our stash on the counter.


     What a great day out. How fortunate we are to inhabit this precious corner of the globe, our home, our solace, our refuge and our joy. 

Trivia

     I was asked recently why I use the term Rough-legged Buzzard (Buteo lagopus) on my blog as opposed to the name Rough-legged Hawk as in common usage in North America.
     The taxonomy and nomenclature that I follow is that of the IOC World Bird List (the current version is 12.1), where buzzard is generally used rather than hawk, especially for buteos. It has always been a bit of a puzzle to me why in North America we use names that are different from those used in the rest of the English-speaking world. The IOC list has now gained wide acceptance, even by most international tour operators for the checklists they provide to their clients, and since my readers span the globe it is my choice too.
     As for the logic, or lack thereof, of some raptor designations, I can do no better than to cite the text from The Bird Name Book, Princeton University Press, 2022.

"Eagle or Hawk or Buzzard?
The assignation of many of these names has historically been quite arbitrary. The buteos are named buzzards everywhere except North America, where they are called hawks, and sometimes the New World Vultures are even referred to as buzzards. Likewise the term 'eagle' refers to several birds of prey, some of which do not have a close genetic relationship. Generally speaking, there are significant differences between eagles and hawks in terms of their size, eagles being significantly larger than most other birds of prey."




David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

70 comments:

  1. ...David, you found some gorgeous things to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apple tree by the side of the road - a gift of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another delightful ramble - for you and for us. Thank you.
    I am still thinking about 'renting' swans though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an organization here that rents out swans for the season and it is quite common for parks to have a few swans during the summer on this basis. In the city of Stratford, an ersatz version of Stratford-on-Avon in the UK, they actually stage a public event each year as the swans are released and make their way down to the water.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Do they have their wings clipped or are they free to move on - but prefer not to?

      Delete
    3. I am sorry to say their wings are clipped, Sue.

      Delete
  4. Extraordinary selection of photos!
    I especially loved the photo of the Blue Jays, it's fantastic.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you returned home from a great day out complete a great stash of treats. I particularly noticed your beetroot - a root vegetable that I love. I roasted some myself this past week.
    Is the Downy Woodpecker a juvenile or an adult - whatever, it is a charming little bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an adult female, Rosemary. It is a tiny little woodpecker, barely bigger than a House Sparrow.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful selection of photos. Your apple-eating sheep reminded me of some sheep we once had - they loved citrus fruit and watermelon. We had cows that went crazy over willow branches. I guess animals are not that much different from humans really - we all have a sweet tooth hidden away inside us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful set of photos and it is great that the Eastern Blue Bird likes the nesting boxes that have been put up. Love seeing the horses, they are still my favourite domestic animal despite the act that I never ride these days. Our Dr lives across the road and they breed the miniature horses so I often get to see these dear little animals. Very much smaller than the ones in you photos!
    Have a good weekend and keep safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this post didn't overtax your ancient WIFI too much, Diane.

      Delete
  8. Hari OM
    As ever, I greatly enjoyed this ramble around your countryside, David! Re the horse breed - those look very much like Belgian Draft horses to me; possibly "Americanised"... They are a little 'sleeker' than my local, the Clydesdale and are too varied in colour to be Suffolks... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too suspect they are a cross breed, YAM. This makes them none the less grand. I saw them again yesterday.

      Delete
  9. Hi David,
    I enjoyed your report on your day at the countryside. I'm allways astound about the number of different birds you spot in a day.

    Best regards, Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely photos David. You've seen some great birds and also pretty views too. I remember that I had never seen a bluebird until I was in my late 20's, and then I hadn't seen one for another 30 years.. And lately I've been seeing them fairly frequently. Agreed; it is so exciting to see them coming back. The same with turkey vultures, and now I see them quite frequently. And as I'm not familiar with mennonites, it is really interesting how they just add onto their homes. That makes quite a rambling structure. Have a great weekend, and I hope you see some wonderful birds and other animals. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing them. Hard to pick a favorite but I think it might be the Mourning Dove, one of my favorite birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many wonderful things to comment on in this post. The birds, as always. The Turkey Vulture we saw this past week is a rarity here. Love the herons. There is a flock of about twenty hanging around the bay here. The Mennonites here are mainly in eastern, PEI. Markets are still open here too with fresh produce. The horses are beauties! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another lovely collection of photos from your outings. The vegetable stand with the free vegetables warms the heart. Oh, the heron! How I love their elegant poses and graceful long legs slowly walking in the water. The Downy Woodpecker is such a sweet little bird, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always wonderful photos, David. The Eastern Grey Squirrel is very beautiful. The Blue Jays are always my favorite bird even though the others are nice too. I just love their blue color.
    Horses are majestic animals, but I have always been a little afraid of them. My daughter had a period of strong horse interest, and we rode on Icelandic ponies. I was happy when that period ended.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos from yourf wanderings, aand good to see Miriam in action - so kind of you to give her directions! It was interesting to read about the Mennonites and see their housing. I always love horses, and we haved lots here to see.I hope you enjoyed your fresh produce when you got back home! Big Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great photos.
    The Blue Jays, the Downy Woodpecker and the Eastern Bluebird are not found in the Netherlands, I think it's great to be able to see these species on the blogs of other fellow bloggers.
    I enjoyed your blog.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello David.
    To reassure you my corners of the house are full of spider webs! Flies and mosquitoes are used as meals.

    The buntings of your country are really beautiful but as usual I like the bluebird and the jays too.
    You have a good crop to cook with. It's a joy to see that you live in peace with nature and happy. There are not enough human beings like that.

    The IOC is breaking our heads. The nomenclature in Ecuador, especially in the new world, changes often and sometimes it is illogical!

    Love to you David. Have a good weekend and nice birding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one ever said that taxonomists have to be logical, Nathalie!

      Delete
  18. Je me demandais ce que c'était cette ligne orange sous les arbres, ça fait un paquet de courges! J'ai 2 amies qui on des chevaux, je suis parfois montée dessus mais j'ai un peu peur :D
    Les oiseaux commencent à me réclamer des graines, hier il faisait encore 27°C alors j'attend encore. Bon weekend

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi David.

    There is so much beautiful stuff on your blog.
    Beautiful nature and animals.
    I really like the blue jay.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much beautiful birds, animals and colors !!!!!
    Love the red tree behind the white horse !
    You are a lucky man to be able to enjoy all thos beauties around you !
    Have a lovely weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello David,
    What a great post, so many beautiful scenes. The birds and the horses are beautiful. Love the sheep too. Great photo of Miriam picking the apples. Wonderful collection of photos, I loved them all. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The scenes are most amazing! If I ever visit this place, I would need a dozen memory cards to captures all these wonderful views and critters. Excellent captures!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your photo essay is beautiful, and familiar, as we have many of the same species here in Michigan. Really not that far from you! Black squirrels also have become more and more common here in recent years. Maybe a decade ago, one was often hanging around on the corner of two streets around a block from us. Now there are several in our yard and all over the neighborhood. Other species of squirrel have also moved in with the only one that used to be in our area. Experience with the bluebird is the same here as well.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. That single red torch of a tree in the photo of the one white horse is so vibrant. I love the sprawling Mennonite house, the peaceful view of the river, picking apples. Curious why the tree farm has the trunks of the young trees wrapped in white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's to deter from rodents from chewing on the bark.

      Delete
    2. That should say "rodents from" not "from rodents". I should look more closely before I publish!

      Delete
  25. Hello David :=)
    You live in a very beautiful area David, where wildlife flourishes. You always share a myriad of different bird species, and other creatures and this post is no exception. The Dove capture, Bluebirds and Downy Woodpecker are some of my favourites, but I loved seeing every single image. Those magnificent horses have the most beautiful colour, and I enjoyed learning more about the Mennonite community.
    Thank you so much for this most enjoyable post.
    Warm best wishes and hugs from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  26. EEEEEEEEK! I saw a spider in your house! That's a beautiful photo of the eagle. One day when I went to Costco an eagle was soaring overhead and I stopped in the parking lot to watch.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely photos and a great narrative make this a wonderful post. Thanks, David.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is an awesome post. Humour incorporated in the writing... Very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great photos! Here folks mean vultures when they say buzzards.
    You asked about Charlie and he did okay in daycare, at least that’s what they told me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How nice to see so many amazing birds and come home with apples and fresh produce. Love the photo of the pumpkins and beautiful Fall scenery. I love that little Downy too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. In the US we do a lot of things different than the rest of the world like inches instead of centimeters. My Granddaughter is from Thailand and she talks in Metric and I have to ask my son to translate, Ha! I never learned metric and am too lazy in this late stage of life to bother with it, especially since I can get the answers I need from someone else in the family. So Buzzard or Hawk, I am happy with either as long as I can see what is being spoken of. I was thrilled to see a Northern Harrier in your post. We have a field out in the country near a forest preserve that is inhabited by Harriers by day and Short Eared Owls by night. To observe the transition at dusk is breathtaking ... I know you would love it. As for the Turkey Vultures ... they are among my favorites, in spite of their nasty vomit. We have a Turkey Vulture at the Nature Center. He is lonely as they are social birds and has become friends with his handlers. I used to wear funny stuff on a vest for him to pull and pick at when I had him out on glove. Two weeks ago I went there for a visit and he came right up to me when he saw me. We had a nice conversation between old friends. I am a lover of horses as well. When I was a young lady I used to go to the University Farms to see their animals. They had a Percheron Stallion named Unk ... he was supposedly the largest horse in the world at the time (as told to us by one of the farm hands). He was a gentle gray giant and has remained in my heart for all of these years. I am sure I have told you about the Blue Heron in my yard when we lived on the lake ... if not, let me know and I will fill you in. I have pictures but don't know how I would get them to you. I enjoy your information and pictures of the Mennonites. We have a large community of Amish right across the border in Indiana. We used to go over there for for their wonderful fresh vegetables and their food. They also make beautiful furniture which if you ever have the opportunity to have any, they will outlast you and probably get passed on through many generations of family. And yes, there is definitely something peaceful about the horse and buggy on the road early in the morning with the fresh smelling air. :) So I ramble on ... Guess that is enough for today. Hope you have a fun Halloween experience with the neighborhood kids.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for introducing me to a word that I have not met before, David - I had to look up 'synanthropic'. Now, if only I can remember it - - - - - - !

    I have another confession to make too, and that is that over the past year I have gained a deeper respect for horses and find them most attractive animals, which has been somewhat influenced (and this is where the confession comes in) by Lindsay and I watching the Canadian TV series 'Heartland' during the dark evenings of winter.

    Your autumn colours are gorgeous, and that tree in the shot with the lone horse in is an amazing depth of red.

    I have much enjoyed the wildlife aspects of this post, David, as well as its heartening messages about the Bluebird recovery, and the generosity of some people with their surplus produce. There's hope yet!

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  33. Visiting your site is like taking mini vacation. I just want to be there. The brilliant blues always make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was especially taken with the photo of the white horse next to the red tree. It's quite dramatic, and wholly appealing. I was pleased to see your Starlings, too. I may have mentioned before that I put out dried mealworms for a few that visit my feeders. They come, consume the mealworms, and leave; it seems to have solved the problem of them kicking all the other seed out of the feeders. I always enjoy foliage-and-pumpkin combinations, too. I love all things pumpkin, and recently tried this recipe for pumpkin marinara. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Really beautiful collection of photos. The colours of all is amazing, enjoyed looking.
    Horses, one of my favourite animals and used to ride one everyday in my early 20's till me moved off the farm into the city!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yet another delightful post, David 👍👍
    I especially love the photos of the horses 🐴

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Splendid post that covers just about everything you may encounter on a day out. Intrigued why Swans would be rented out?? but some lovely shots of the surrounds and things that are going on daily. Buzzard is correct in my world too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People with a large home, for example, who would like a couple of swans there during the summer may rent them from a company that provides them for a fee and delivers them and picks them up. Some cities even rent seasonal swans for their public parks.

      Delete
  38. Hello David and Miriam, what a great blog and so much to see and read. You do live in a country where there is so much beauty. In nature and wildlife but also with those amazing horses. It is good to see that for a small fee you can enjoy the fresh fruits and vegetables. We can find these offerings of food and more also in our region. I think it is good that people want to share this.
    Take care, warm regards from Belgium
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi David - love this post ... as do many others I see - we learn words like 'syanthrope' ... an interesting term I wasn't aware of. You most certainly do live in a wonderful place - and I love the fruit and veggies you'd managed to collect en route ... especially the beetroot - but always apples! Thank you for all the info and pics - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congrats on such a great post, David! It really gives me the opportunity to visit your beautiful environs. Thank you for that!

    That white horse is close to a nice tree with red leaves. Your post begins with pictures of those three wonderful creatures (black Squirrel, yellow spider and the horses). I also like the picture of the Downy Woodpecker.

    Those pumpkins in the countryside are so big! Great to hear people who run the Mennonite farms don't waste fruits & veggies, as that food is available for free.

    Have a Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I personally find it very interesting when it comes to naming species and how different they can be. It's a never-ending lesson to be learned.

    Great photos as always (my favorite is the pair of blu Jay's).

    Thanks for taking time to link in!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Le tengo terror a las arañas amigo.
    Por lo demás las fotos como siempre fabulosas. La de los cabalos me encantan, por aquí los vemos en los praos. Muy buena esa cosecha de calabazas y muy linda la mariquita. Gracias David.
    Que paséis un buen domingo.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Another new word to remember! You know the best words! I love the big horses. Hubby grew up with Belgians as a kid, playing under them. I've a bird to ID. A junco with a white eye ring. I think!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen a junco like this. It looks like leucism which occurs when the bird is unable to deposit melanin in some of its feathers. It occurs across a wide range of species.

      Delete
  44. Dear David,
    It was again exciting to read your blog post. And as always, a lot of thoughts occurred to me in the meantime - I hope I can get it sorted out.
    It's surprising that in Canada the European ladybugs are getting the upper hand and crowding out the native ones - here it is the case that the European ladybirds are being pushed out by the Asian specimen... Surely some kind of corrective beetle exchange should be brought about?
    I also find it quite original that starlings were intentionally settled in Canada ;-))
    With the horses you showed, the lighter one immediately made me think of Haflingers - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haflinger - this breed is very common in Austria and in the Alps because they are good, undemanding workhorses and also good-natured riding horses. However, they are not particularly large. Or maybe it's just a similar breed, I'm not a horse expert even if I like them as much as you do. However, I think the bigger horses with the darker manes are a different breed altogether.
    It was a great pleasure for me to be part of your excursions and to see all the animals, but also the carriages, houses and vegetable offerings of the Mennonites. Are these settlements very close to where you live?
    Thank you for your loving words about our farewell to Nina and your comment on my latest sign of life! I hope your nature walk with children and their parents was successfull and funny!
    I wish you a good start into November!
    All the best from Austria,
    Traude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Mennonite community is very close to where we live, Traude. Occasionally there is even a horse and buggy going down our street.

      Delete
  45. Como siempre tu reportaje genial, me encanta la naturaleza y todo lo que tiene que ver con ella y en tu blog se respira eso. Abrazos para Miriam y para ti.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I wouldn't have known about the sheep going for apples.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Beautiful trip!....I love horses....and your pictures of them are beautiful. The lifestyle of Mennonites is something we should follow....always sharing.......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  48. A beautiful ramble with you. And I love your harvest haul. And horses in a field always have me spellbound. Such noble creatures. I particularly love the Newfoundland ponies here, reminsicent of the Connemara ponies. Such tiny mighty beings.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love those horses, magnificent and impressive. Beautiful swan, too. Lovely area.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Buenas tardes, estimado amigo David, una vez más otra entrada entrañable con un paseo muy gratificante y agradable aparte de una muy buena recolecta de manzanas. Me ha sorprendido lo del alquiler de esa pareja de cisnes, nunca lo hubiese imaginado amigo y desconocía por completo que se alquilaran.
    La vida de los menonitas es una vida muy agradable y gratificante en contacto mutuo con la naturaleza, de ellos deberíamos aprender. Esos caballos de tiro son imponentes y contribuyen a una labor muy a tener en cuenta en contacto con el hombre.
    Un fuerte abrazo amigo y compadre David, os deseo un feliz mes entrante.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow, wow and wow.
    Such a beautiful selection of photographs, I enjoyed them all very much.

    Wishing you happy November days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  52. I had no idea that sheep eat apples! They have good taste. At this time of year I enjoy my afternoon apple, usually the lovely honeycrisps. My neighbors every year gives me apples because she has too many of them and I make apple sauce, but unfortunately, this year her harvest has not been very good, so no apple sauce. Sometimes I do like to make pancakes from scratch (like the ones my mom used to make) for a Sunday breakfast and we either eat them with a mix of sugar and cinnamon or with apple sauce. You sure live in a beautiful area, David.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi David,
    Plenty of variety in your report, as always. It is a pleasure to go around in your own environment when there is enough to see. Plenty of apples, attractive food delivered by the Mennonites, beautiful sceneries, atractive widlife (even a black squirrel). What else do you wish more to have a fine day?
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  54. Absolutely glorious images, David! The horses are magnificent; the farm stand is so picturesque, and it does warm the heart to know that there are still kind and generous people in this world! I hope you enjoyed the applesauce!

    ReplyDelete
  55. What a fabulously joyful post, David. I loved the variety of it -- the red barn with the cart, the apples, the birds (of course) and especially the horses. You got some terrific images there -- what personalities they have! I can see why the love affair is unabashed and I would join you both in it!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers