Sunday, January 31, 2021

Book Review - Birds of Argentina and the South-west Atlantic - Princeton Field Guides


 

      Other than being out in the field, there is nothing quite like a new field guide to get a birder's juices flowing. There is an added dimension of pleasure and excitement when the guide covers a region far from home. Given the fact that many of us are confined to home by COVID-19, and travel even within the borders of our own country, let alone overseas, is well nigh impossible, the excitement is magnified. We have all become armchair birders to some extent, and I have already spent several rewarding hours probing this field guide. 
     It is a wonderful new guide to the birds of Argentina, with due attention also being paid to the avifauna of the southwest Atlantic.
     Mark Pearman is renowned for his knowledge of the birds of the southern part of South America and I can think of no one better to be the lead author of this work. I confess to not being acquainted with Juan Ignacio Areta, but a search of the literature, and the bibliography in the book, reveals that he is a distinguished Argentinian ornithologist and has collaborated with Pearman on several scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals.
     The format follows the standard arrangement for modern field guides. The introductory pages are filled with information and I cannot emphasize enough that birders should always take the time to read this section. In the case of the present guide, for example, the coverage of geography and hydrogeography alone, makes for a more comprehensive understanding of the distribution of birds within the country. The section on bird topography is artfully done, with different species used to highlight the multi-faceted nature of avian form.
     The guide is arranged in conventional format, with illustrations on the right hand page, and text and range maps on the left. The pictures, the work of four different artists, illustrate the birds well, and after close examination I can find nothing to which I would take exception. I would be very happy to have this guide with me in the field.
     I found it quite fascinating that after the species accounts, an illustrated section is devoted to furnariid and icterid nests. How incredibly useful! This is followed by six appendices, viz, 1. Introduced species 2. Keys to prion identification 3. Keys to pipit identification 4. Sonograms 5. List of illustrated flora (hooray for this one!) 6. Taxonomic notes.
     The list of references is comprehensive, pointing the way to further study.
     I cannot help reflect that Princeton University Press has done a masterful job in the coverage of the avifauna of this part of the Americas. When I went to Chile in 2012 Alvaro Jaramillo's Birds of Chile was my constant companion. This was followed in 2018 by Birds of Chile, A Photo Guide by Steve Howell and Fabrice Schmitt. Now with this fabulous new guide, The Birds of Argentina, southern South America is very comprehensively covered. 
     Thank you Princeton University Press!

Birds of Argentina and the South-west Atlantic - Princeton University Press
Mark Pearman & Juan Ignacio Areta
Paperback - US$39.95  - ISBN: 9780691147697
Publish date: 9 February 2021
432 pages - 5.5" x 8.5"

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

44 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't even know what furnariid and icterid meant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you looked it up, Linda, and learned something new!

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      I did... and enjoyed the new facet of understanding! YAM xx

      Delete
  2. Hours and hours of fun, and definitely a touchstone for dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I can tear my eyes away from my mammoth tome on Australian parrots, Sue!

      Delete
  3. Interesting birds with such long tails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David, glad you enjoyed your new book, I'm sure you are dreaming about visiting all those birds and traveling again soon. Let's hope that you can soon get back to real birding and faraway travels! Have a great Sunday, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed about all the books you review David. I wonder how big your bookshelf is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Argentina is bursting with wildlife! The gigantic country has a great diversity of fauna in every corner of the country, from humpback whales to penguins and from alpacas to capybaras. Besides the mighty and famous condor, there is a rich bird life to be found.
    I already know that because I also have a book about the nature and avifauna of Argentina.
    And not to forget the most important ... the beautiful bird "Maxima" has flown to us! Our queen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with Maxima, Ella, other than as the specific name for several birds.

      Delete
  7. Otro libro muy interesante querido amigo. Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your post below...random memories of Australia.

    Thanks so much for sharing with us at IRBB this weekend. Stay safe.
    ~Anni at I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great commentary. Love the drawing. I am sure its a must hove book for the bird watcher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gran libro de un inmenso país.
    Buen domingo David. Cuidaros.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get excited just by reading of your excitement (like getting your 'juices flowing')as a birder and reviewer.
    The guide has a modest, but delicate and charming cover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice review, David. The drawing of the bird cover is beautiful. Thanks for letting me know about the Grey Wagtail in my post yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nice way to discover new birds from home! This morning, I got the visit of a cloud of starlings that invaded my fig tree for a few minutes, the time for them to eat the seed and fat balls and then they left for some other garden. Last week , it was a grey heron that gulped down one of my koi carps! Birds have come into greater number within the city boundaries since the first lockdown in March!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I may have told you already, but I grew up in Princeton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had not, Judy, but you are without doubt an Ivy League reviewer.

      Delete
  15. Una lectura muy interesante, gracias por la recomendación.
    Besos y abrazos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg the book must be amazing! <3

    www.pimentamaisdoce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Voyager en restant chez soi, avec le Covid on a plus le choix snif.
    Heureusement les livres nous permettent de nous évader un peu.
    Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh, my sweet birds!! 😍 Buenas noches David!
    grateful for this nice post about the birds
    of my dear and beloved country.
    Oh, I saw the title and got emotional...
    i'm a little bitty ridiculous, no? jejejeje
    Big hugs from Buenos Aires hasta Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent review, just a few days ago I saw a friend on facebook who had received it, who despite being in English bought it anyway since the Spanish edition does not know when it will come out, which seems strange to read in another language about the fauna of the country. One of the artists is Jorge Rodríguez Mata and by those coincidences in life he is a native of the same city as me and also lives here. Last year he participated in an outing of the Bird Watchers Club in our town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that a Spanish version is contemplated but I don't know when it will be available.

      Delete
  20. Great review, David.

    Love the beautiful artwork on the cover.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well I do like the cover it's simply yet beautiful.
    Nice reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not likely to visit Argetina, but I'm glad such books exist.
    In answer to your comment on my recent post: yes, Great White Egrets are becoming increasingly common here and when I visit wetlands along the southern edge of the Fens I almost expect to see one these days, though I think that's more because they are very visible and recognisable rather than huge numbers of them. I believe they've been recorded breeding in the UK. During the last year Cattle Egrets have also become more frequent, with reports of them around here most weeks. There have also been a few Glossy Ibis recently. The work done on various wetland sites must have helped.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sure that it's a wonderful book David, but I dare not indulge in it for fear it will accelerate my rising frustration at being locked down!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Una buena guía de campo como acompañamiento de este encierro por el maldito COVID, no cabe duda que estudiarla y consultar siempre es un placer tomando un buen café o té amigo David.
    Tiene muy buena reseña.
    Un fuerte abrazo y buena semana querido amigo y compadre.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Querido amigo hoy nuevamente nos dejas un libro muy interesante, muchas gracias por danos a conocer estas joyas de la literatura. Feliz semana y feliz febrero. Cuidaros mucho y un enorme abrazo para ti y para Miriam. Con cariño Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to go to South America but it is never going to happen. As things are at present I am beginning to wonder if we will ever travel again!! We have friends also in Costa Rica that we could visit but yet again. Stay safe and keep well, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are all starting to wonder, Diane. We have a couple of trips planned within Canada, but even they are impossible at present.

      Delete
  27. I enjoyed your complimentary description of the book and what caught my eye was -"an illustrated section is devoted to furnariid and icterid nests." Now that chapter is what I would find fascinating.
    I bet the Iceterid nest would be pendulous, the same as the New World orioles, but I would love to see the vegetation they use to weave them.
    I also really enjoyed the post on Australian memories. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can taste your excitement! Are you comped them, or are you spending the family fortune??!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I receive the book for review from PUP. I do, however, invest quite a bit in other tomes!

      Delete
  29. A very good review, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi David - I thought I'd commented ... but sometimes things slow up round here and maybe it wandered off ... that or the brain! I'd love to get this book and spend time reading it ... I've made a note to perhaps buy it later in the year ... so I will rethink once I've read some of the many I've got here. We might even have snow here on Sunday and Monday - that will be shock ... it happens - but not often. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers