Thursday, March 12, 2020

Book Review - Bird Love - Princeton University Press

     It seems to me that in these troubled times, with mind-numbing conflicts around the world, and our heads filled with threats from pandemics, tainted water, and other horrors, any book with the word "love" in the title is worthy of our attention!



    Avian love is not restrained by concepts of morality, changeable it must be admitted, that humans hew to, but follows a genetic path evolved over geologic time to reproductive success . We too are animals, with similar, often hard to control hormonal impulses, and some of the behaviours between our two species hold up to comparison - even those we are reluctant to admit to! 
     Wenfei Tong has done an admirable job of navigating us through the vagaries of avian reproductive strategies, with biological facts where necessary. The text flows from chapter to chapter like a well-organized essay. There is no one who will find this work difficult reading yet the information is precise and succinct, without the encumbrance of arcane terminology.
     I must confess that I was surprised that she used lower case throughout for the names of the birds, rather than the generally accepted practice of capitalizing common names for clarity, e.g. Little Egret, not little egret, Great Blue Heron not great blue heron. Initially I thought this might reflect an editorial decision by Princeton University Press, but I checked other works published by Princeton and the capitalizing convention is followed (see, for example, Birds of Prey, Wheeler; Gulls of the World, Olsen).
     Furthermore, scientific names are not given at all, the ultimate safeguard of accuracy it seems to me, when different common names are used in different regions of the world. Tong goes to pains to point out that sand martin is known as bank swallow in North America, whereas had she simply pointed out that it is Riparia riparia it would have been instantly clear. On page 77, due to sloppy editing I assume, sandmartin is run together as one word, so now one has the disconcerting practice of not capitalizing common names, no scientific name and the name presented as both sand martin and sandmartin.
     On page 79, the section entitled "Nests as Signals" begins. The text covering Black Kites is accompanied by a wonderful image of a well-bedecked nest; the narrative about White Storks is complemented by a gorgeous photograph of a pair nesting in Morocco. Text and picture align for Black-billed Magpie, but the description of the nesting practices of Marsh Wrens is illustrated by a picture of a Black Wheatear! Clearly the editing rigour in this book leaves a little to be desired.
     Despite these gaffes, the book has much to offer, especially for those unfamiliar with avian mating systems and the role that different reproductive strategies play in the perpetuation of species. It covers all the permutations that occur. The text is easy to read and the illustrations are superb. I thought that the bibliography was a little sparse (only nine books with just six lead authors), other than for journal articles which are often not readily accessible to the general reader. I have several volumes on my shelf that I would have included as highly desirable reading on the topic. 
     The book left me with the feeling I have when finding a hair in a bowl of delicious French onion soup - suddenly it doesn't taste quite as good any more.

Bird Love: The Family Life of Birds
Wenfei Tong
Hardcover - US$29.95 - 9780691188843 - 192 pages - 220+ colour photographs, 7 black-and-white illustrations, 2 maps - 8 in. x 10 in.
Publication date: 10 March 2020


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

40 comments:

  1. Never thought about genetic diversity in avian species. But it makes total sense. Your Bird Love photo is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Sad to hear that such editorial errors emerged in a book of potential quality and certainly some expense. As you say, the 'feel good' factor ought to boy one's being, without such red flags! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I tend to overlook some errors in books. I assume they are not all proofread or edited before publishing. Happy birding, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must be reading different books by different publishers, Eileen. And Princeton University Press is generally impeccable.

      Delete
    2. This is worrisome, to me. We need more clarity, not less. Good eye spotting the gaffes. (I always do!)
      There is someone in our area who insists on correcting errors in the novels I read. It's awfully distracting!

      Delete
    3. I agree with you, Jenn. It is difficult for me to grasp that someone would simply accept that there will be errors, and assume that there will be no editing or proofreading.

      Delete
  4. A wonderful title. The book is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my friend David :-)
    I actually never thought about genetic diversity in bird species. Very happy that this book is there and this is also very educational
    Beautiful and interesting psot.
    Kind regards from the Netherlands xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trouble with errors such as you described is that people who don't know such birds particularly well, would not know when the wrong pictures are shown. What a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello David,
    The cover photo are wonderful. Yes, I agree with you. The word love are magic 💕

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry that faulty editing tainted this work. As it does so many things.
    Love that image and am a firm believer in the emotions of birds. Anthromorphism be damned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Querido David feliz de saludarte de nuevo. Muchas gracias por hablarnos con tanta claridad de este libro. Muchas gracias. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bird love.....so cute and touching
    This will certainly be a nice book!
    Regards, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find errors in a book that I was looking forward to very annoying. I would have to consider if it was worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice title for this book David. Love and undertanding is indeed what we need in these troubled times. (For a moment I had a fright because with opening your blog I got a message that a troyan horse made it not possible to see your blog. So I removed it from my list and some how via a reaction of you on my blog I could enter your blog. Coppied the link and with good result. I hope this was only once and never again.)
    Wishing you all the best and stay healthy.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that everything is okay, Roos. That must have given you a bit of a scare!

      Delete
  13. Buenas noches querido amigo David, como bien dices son tiempos difíciles, creo que cualquier ser irracional se muestra y comporta mucho más racional que la especie humana. Somos los destructores en potencia y sabe Dios como terminará el dichoso problema del Coronavirus. Aquí en España, se está complicando bastante el tema, veremos cómo termina. Mi mujer y yo por los problemas que padecemos estamos dentro del grupo de riesgo potencial de no poder pasar el virus si llegamos a cogerlo y es muy duro no poder ver a tus hijos y nietos y no poder abrazarles ni besarles, quien nos iba a decir que nos tocaría vivir este maldito problema.
    Me parece un libro interesante a pesar de las erratas que pueda tener de impresión, no es normal que estas cosas ocurran pero hoy día vemos de todo y está es una más.
    Un fuerte abrazo querido amigo y compadre David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly a problem, Juan. Miriam and I do not have health problems, but we are in the age group where it will potentially be serious if we get it. All we can do is take proper precautions and wait. Stay well, my friend.

      Delete
  14. Stunning picture of the two bird mates!
    There are, methinks, small african parrots called love birds, that are known for the affectionate behavior displayed for their mates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Un livre intéressant qui doit avoir de belles illustrations.
    Pour les erreurs ça me rappel un livre sur des jardins, plusieurs erreurs dans le livre alors qu'en plus c'est une réédition!
    Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting review of the book. Very helpful. Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your analogy of the hair in the soup - something beautiful spoiled by something unnecessary and most annoying. What a shame this book has to suffer that fate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like an interesting book even if it does have some shortcomings. And as you say, sometimes it's good to just be able to think of something else and not the all present problems of the moment. Best regards, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for reading this book! Full disclosure, I had about 4 times the references but was not allowed to include them due to space constraints. Although I agree with you that Latin names would avoid ambiguity, it was an editorial decision to leave them out. Also, the most glaring error, which I'm very embarrassed by, is the photo of Japanese red crowned cranes, accompanied by a caption about whooping cranes. There was not much time for me to check all the photos, and so I appreciate your letting me know about errors in case there's a second edition.
    Wenfei Tong (the author)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wenfei: Thanks very much for getting in touch with me. Now I feel embarrassed that I didn't pick up on the incorrect picture of the cranes, a family of birds with which I have a fair degree of familiarity. Who knows, perhaps there will be a second edition. Best regards, David

      Delete
  20. I think publishers have quite a lot to answer for sometimes. I also think David that a lot of books go out with proofreaders missing much, or they are not familier with what they are proof reading!!! Nigel picks up so many mistakes in almost everything he reads!!!! I see Wenfei's comment above so it seems she was limited in many respects as well which is sad. I hope she manages to get a second edition. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. ...I don't know much about birds, but I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Avian mating rituals are always an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Muy bien amigo David, si ves algo mal hay que decirlo. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sure that this book with birds & LOVE in the title is a good choice these days. Take care & stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. O uso do nome científico é universal e sabemos que todos usamos a mesma linguagem para a mesma espécie.
    É fundamental.
    Que pena o livro ter essas "gaffes"!
    Abraços.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful cover, hope you are doing well!

    Best wishes, Ida

    ReplyDelete
  27. Inte ofta du riktar kritik mot en bok men med din kunskap så är jag övertygad om att kritiken är befogad.
    Ja, nu är det tråkiga tider och det är bäst att hålla sig inne eller i alla fall undvika närkontakt med människor och vad är då bättre sällskap än en god bok!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just love the image …
    Many thanks for the review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a shame the amount of errors you mention in the book, it seems to be interesting to read, a topic of which there are not many texts

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great book review. I enjoyed your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great review David. With my ignorance on the topic I would not notice the gaffes. Considering the subject, the artwork must be wonderful like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bird love? I don't know this topic.
    David, very interesting review.
    Hugs and greetings.
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your closing analogy. Personally, I feel YOU should be writing the bird book. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers