Saturday, July 05, 2014

Nymphs and Satyrs

William T. Foster Woods
Kleinburg, ON
4 July 2014

     We are really getting into the dog days of summer from a birding perspective, with most species already on the nest or feeding young, and vocalization has pretty much ceased. Yesterday at William T. Foster Woods there was virtually no bird song at all, other than for the chattering of the odd American Robin Turdus migratorius, and a lone Red-winged Blackbird Agelaius phoeniceus scolded me as I passed by, probably too close to its nest.
     The meadows were alive with butterflies, however, most flitting around and giving barely a chance to view them well, let alone take pictures.  I did manage a couple of photographs, however.
     Little Wood-Satyr Megisto cymela vied for the title of Most Common Species and it was rarely that three or four of them were not fluttering in front of me. Hardly had they alighted than they would pick up again and move along, tantalizing me to take a picture.


     This was the best shot I managed, and it's too bad there is a stem in front of it. When you are photographing in nature a little bit of nature sometimes gets in the way!
      The second most populous species was Common Wood-Nymph Cercyonis pegala - at least this is what I believe it to be. I couldn't find a picture in my reference books that matches it precisely, but it is described as highly variable, and given the time of the year, its abundance and the location, I am pretty sure this is what it is.


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

5 comments:

  1. Really wonderful are both butterflies. Have a nice weekend,David.
    Best regards, Synnöve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a quiet time here too and just picking up with a few waders. Always wishing our lives away for the next season's birds.Good to see your "nymphs", sounds so much better then mere "butterfly" which should in any case be "fluuterby".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful images of butterflies that I'd be delighted to see one day, David. I live in hope!

    Best wishes to you both for the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is your house, Richard. Maybe one day we will see them together.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful butterfly david you could photograph. Both the inside and the outside of the wings There are indeed some twigs or blades of the way but that is nature. Your butterfly is as well very nice to see.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers