Friday, August 02, 2024

Conestogo Lake Conservation Area, Glen Allan, ON

18 July, 2024 

     Just before turning onto the road to the Conservation Area we noticed an Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) nest.


     The evidence reveals that it has been a successful season.
     Conestogo Lake C.A. is a Grand River Conservation Authority property so on the last day of our pass we paid it a visit.


     We immediately spotted a Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) cruising high overhead, but it was slowly drifting away from us.


     A nearby Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoenicius) was chattering incessantly.


     Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (Archilochus colubris) appear to be in decline and we have seen very few this year. It was encouraging to spot this male defending a territory, although we witnessed no challenge being mounted.


     Flies in the genus Rivellia are very difficult to identify from photographs - this individual being no exception.


     We heard a House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) singing incessantly and finally spotted him.


     In my last post I mentioned the condition affecting trees known as chlorosis and it may be that this maple leaf is indicative of a tree suffering from that condition.


     We had taken coffee and muffins with us to enjoy mid morning, and found a delightful spot near a small wetland to enjoy it.


     Miriam's muffins are among the world's finest of course and contain a special ingredient whereby when they are consumed outdoors the taste index goes through the roof!
     Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias syrica) was in full bloom and in great abundance and it was a little ominous not to see a commensurate intensity of Monarchs (Danaus plexippus).


     There were few gulls on the lake, but this Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) availed itself of a convenient perch.


     Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) were seen and heard frequently - in the grass.....


     ..... and in the parking area.


     To find a Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) feather seemed almost talismanic to us, and it is now safely ensconced in my display case.


     Several years ago on Vancouver Island we found the feather of a Red-shafted Flicker (Colaptes auratus) and a young indigenous couple told us of our good fortune, assuring us that the discovery of the feather signalled that we would have blessings on our journey.
     An Orange Day-Lily (Hemerocallis fulva) shone like a fiery beacon.


     We saw our first American Lady (Vanessa virginiensis) of the year; well, perhaps Kamala Harris might claim that title.


     We wish both the politician and the butterfly good fortune - blessings on their journey, in fact.
     Clouded Sulphur (Colias philodice) was very common, flitting hither and thither, and once in a while coming to rest for a few seconds.


     An American Robin (Turdus migratorius) clutched a worm firmly in its beak, perhaps torn between devouring it or taking it back to young in the nest.


     The lake looked tranquil - pleasingly free of noisy boats.


     I suspect that the weekend might present a different situation.
     A Common Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis) makes me wonder why so many organisms are named "common." Evening Primrose alone would be fine.


     There are plans afoot to rename birds to eliminate reference to slaveholders and other nefarious characters, so perhaps we can get rid of "common" too.
     We decided to take a walk along the Forest Green Trail.


     The entrance was very inviting.


     Chicory (Cichorium intybus) always warrants a second look; it is simply gorgeous, a marvel of plant architecture and colour.


     Miriam took this excellent shot of Eastern Calligrapher (Toxomerus germinatus).


     You can hardly believe how fond I have become of this charming little fly. 
     The spider with the very appealing name Common Candy-striped Spider (Enoplognatha ovata) is a member of the Space Web Weaver Guild. These spiders construct a web that takes up three-dimensional space and often does not seem to have any organized structure.


     This one appears to have ensnared a Common Red Soldier Beetle (Rhagonycha fulva).
     A tiny American Toad (Anaxyrus americanus) was just setting out on life's journey with many hazards to be faced along the way.


     Unlike some humans who live in their parents' basement until they are thirty, independence is the only choice for these little warriors.
     Knapweed (genus Centaurea) is an attractive flower and this plant has attracted a sweat bee in the tribe Halictini.


     Slender Spreadwing (Lestes rectangularis) was exceedingly common along this trail, as evidenced by this handsome male.


     Cross Orbweaver (Araneus diadematus) is a familiar sight, bold and beautifully marked.


     The following little insect puzzled me totally, and it was only after researching it at home I concluded that it is a non-biting midge in the family Chironomidae.


     It's very exciting to come across something new -or perhaps forgotten - and invest the time in discovering what it is. Such pursuits can keep me happily engaged for hours!
     Here is another Common Candy-striped Spider.


     They are as beautiful as their eponymous volunteers in a hospital, although perhaps not in quite as much demand! 
     Olethreutes is a large genus of Tortrix Moths (family Tortricidae); this is a member of that genus but I have been unable to identify the species.


     Here is a female Slender Spreadwing.


     Common Selfheal (Prunella vulgaris ) probably receives little attention, but is in reality a very attractive flower.


     Broad-leaved Helleborine (Epipactis helleborine) graced the woodland with robust beauty.


     Common Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) was frequently seen.


     A Marsh Snipe Fly (Rhagio tringarius) is a very striking insect.


     We had been meandering along the trail for an hour or more and decided to retrace our steps. In no time at all we arrived back at the car, not having walked nearly as far as we had imagined. We routinely dawdle along, looking at everything that moves and basking in the variety beneath our noses, and we totally lose track of distance.
     I wouldn't wish to go for a walk any other way.



David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

57 comments:

  1. First, I want to say how much I agree with what you wrote in the previous post, David. I have to check comments daily because blogs can't sort properly. They sort errors, and put comments in the spam filter that shouldn't have been there. It's terribly annoying.

    You always show so many beautiful birds, insects and flowers. The photo that Miriam took of the fly is absolutely beautiful! The butterfly is so lovely, and I agree with you that it would be nice if Kamela Harris got that title.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you about removing the word common - and while we are at it would like to see 'lesser' banished as well.
    Thank you and Miriam for taking us along. I suspect the special ingredient in Miriam's cooking is love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    That's my kinda walking... I have no choice, being as slow as slugs, but the joy is in the finding and distance matters not! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once bird migration picks up we’ll be back to walking much farther, YAM, but at this time of year when we concentrate on insects the pace is much slower.

      Delete
  4. I've always got comments in spam so I check it each days before I reply to comments, odd occasion it doesn't happen, the spam I mean.
    Lovely photos of everything and muffins with a special ingredient...hmmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at those gorgeous youngsters! You know now that you mentioned it, I have not seen one hummer this year. I put it down to the dryness causing our butterfly bushes to under produce. Another lovely outing, David.Have a grand weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you both have an uncommon talent for taking photos of insects. the one Miriam took is awe inspiring. I vote to remove the word common from names.. sometimes I miss the subject of your photos just looking at the PHOTO. as in the clarity and beauty of how you took it, and wondering what camera and all that good stuff. you have the eye for beauty, for sure...I don't even like flies but the snipe fly is really beautiful. even pest can be gorgeous and I did not even know there exists a candy striped spider. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...thanks for the wonderful nature hike this morning. Regarding your post about spam comment, I find that readers who comment often are the most like to be flagged as spam .

    ReplyDelete
  8. That male Slender Spreadwing looks really handsome. Why does a bird lose its feather? Is it a normal process? Or is it under stress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many reasons why a bird loses its feather, Angie, but the principal reason is moult, a process whereby old, worn feathers are replaced with new ones.

      Delete
  9. I love the prediction from the indigenous couple. I always considered a feather a good omen. When I was a kid, I was always happy to find a seagull's feather. I had a whole mythology build up around seagulls in my head back then. Anyhow, I hope that the prediction comes true and that this feather brings you luck.
    Your photography captures are wonderful. The osprey nest photograph is wonderful! Is that a couple?

    I have a pretty good eye for birds and other animals, too. If there is one in vicinity, I'll see it. I used to think everyone is like that and was surprised that many people don't really notice animals when they're out and about. I think watching a lot of wildlife documentaries as a kid definitely influenced my perception of the world. Some day I might even invest in photography equipment. It's really a shame how many birds I spot but don't take a photograph of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a formidable command of English, Ivana. I hope you will take more pictures of wildlife and post them. I checked out your blog and I'm afraid I can't contribute too much to fashion!

      Delete
  10. That looks like the delicious cinnamon muffin I ate this morning with strong iced coffee. I like the colorful flowers you posted today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, simply amazing photos! Butterfly, dragonfly, birds - something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. as always so many lovely things. I especially liked the candy striped spider and the helleborine and the damselflies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I'm not nearly as enamoured with the insects as you are, but I will concede that Miriam's photo of the Eastern Calligrapher is simply stunning. Well done!
    There are walks and then there are hikes. I prefer the former where I take my time and enjoy nature around me. A hike, in my opinion, is one with an end goal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos David. Such a joy to see. Loving the spiders. I used to always take coffee with me on walks with a banana. BUT I gave coffee up in March this year. I still do miss it but noticed a lot of positive effects on my body so won't go back to it. I also gave up teas with caffeine too, so on my walks or going out I take a redbush tea or peppermint tea. I started drinking chicory too, it is kinda a coffee sub I guess. My fly bite has calmed down a lot now and is healing nicely! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think a walk with Miriam's muffins as a treat along the way could be the best walk ever! Those look wonderful and if she's the best muffin maker, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello David :=),
    I enjoyed every one of Miriam's photos, all the insects, other wild creatures, flowers and birds. The Blue Jay feather is absolutely gorgeous and worthy of display, I have a tail feather of one of our Jays found by my deceased husband and given to me to take pride of place in my bird display cabinet. How I wish I could take a walk on the Forest Green Trail, but I wouldn't be able to walk very far. I amble in my garden and it would take a lifetime to discover all the insects that have made there home there and It is diverting to discover new creatures every time I wander around., and exciting when I find the correct ID. I don't like the word common either, for any living creature and hope the term will soon be will eradicated.
    Hugs and Kisses to you both and a big thank you for making such an entertaining post.
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nature is beautiful indeed and you show us, through your lovely pictures, the diversity she has...
    Thanks David !
    Have an interesting weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another fine hike, David. You do see a lot when you are out walking, it's hard to believe that most people don't. Coffee and a special muffin sounds great to me. Thanks for sharing Miriam's great photos and your nice narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pictures as always. I do so admire Miriam's talents with a camera. I think I would probably admire her talents as a muffin-maker as well. That muffin looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her muffin repertoire is pretty extensive too. My favourite is Morning Glory.

      Delete
  20. Thank you for introducing me to so many "common" species. At least everything apart from the Selfheal escapes the added indignity of having its name translated as "vulgaris", which sounds even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a peaceful place!
    I have never thought of gulls on that lake, considering it is located far from the sea.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Common certainly doesn't describe your lovely photos! I enjoyed each one and agree with your philosophy of your visit and walk about to this beautiful area. Along with Miriam's delicious muffins I'd say it was a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos. I want to bring my yarn and sit on the bench and listen to the birds. Our interesting bird I told you about seems to be gone. We've not him it now in over a week. Darn it, it was fun watching and hearing it nightly during cocktail hour. Can't believe you managed to get a Hummingbird picture.........they move so quickly.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  24. Una jornada muy provechosa, con excelentes fotografías.
    Feliz fin de semana. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love yarrow and chicory, but each wildflower has its own beauty! The succession of wildflowers this season is one of the great natural wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Querido David es una hermosa caminata y disfrutar de tantas hermosas aves, insectos y flora es sin duda maravilloso. Las fotos son espectaculares. Me encantaría poder acompañaros y disfrutar del café y esas ricas magdalenas. Besos para ti y para Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Agree about the word Common, unnecessary I think.
    I am of the opinion that we need to stop naming things after people. Humans are constantly doing things that outrage, embarrass, or disappoint, and then names have to changed. Much better to use somebother naming source than our poor species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very much in favour of descriptive names. McCown's Longspur is one the species already renamed to Thick-billed Longspur. Now that gives us some information on the bird and helps when we are searching for it. McCown's told us nothing.

      Delete
  28. Que bueno es poder disfrutar un día en plena naturaleza y ver en su hábitat natural esta gran variedad de insectos y aves. El pequeño almuerzo con café y muffins, os supo a gloria. La pluna de arrendajo azul es un gran tesoro David. Es preciosa.
    Os deseo un fin de semana.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How delicate are the wings of the Slender Spreadwing! So beautiful, and such stunning photos, David. You and Miriam always take such gorgeous pictures. The photo of the Eastern Calligrapher is excellent. I wonder where it got its name from? I always have to think of beautifully written Chinese characters when I see this name. And I love the Common Candy-striped spider, such a pretty little creature. Have a lovely weekend with hopefully some exciting walks. Hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been unable to ascertain the reason for this beautiful little hover fly being referred to as "calligrapher." If I come across an explanation I will post it, Carola.

      Delete
  30. A lovely collection of dragonflies!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Que tal Miriam & David! hi guys! the jay is the lucky bird, there is no doubt about it, just seeing it´s considered good luck. 💎💙
    I really liked this romantic walk for two, how beautiful! i see a poetic touch in everything, but added to the muffins... ufff, that's a plus!

    Sending you both lots of kisses and hugs to Waterloo,
    have a great August ahead! ༊*·˚*·˚*·˚

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello. Thank you for this interesting walk! I feel like I was walking with you myself when I look at all these wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful series of photos David.
    My favorites are the osprey on nest and the oriental calligrapher photographed by Miriam.
    I never get messages in my spam mail.
    I wish you a good weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  34. I used to think that finding a bird feather is a sign of joy. Most often, seagull feathers were found on the shore. Miriam bakes beautiful cupcakes, they look delicious, David.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nature’s variety always shows up in your posts to great advantage. Your eye for the tiny colorful bugs is amazingly developed.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think I should have been an entomologist because I am fascinated by insects (and I loved the one course I took in college in that subject). You found some interesting species, and that photo Miriam took of the Eastern Calligrapher is amazing. I've been noticing so many in my garden this year too. And wow, an osprey nest and a bald eagle, it was banner day, not to mention the muffins too. Grin. have a super weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I deal with insects the more interesting, fascinating and challenging I find them.

      Delete
  37. Amazing birds and insects. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I wasn't familiar with the term "chlorosis". It could explain what's going on with the maple tree leaves throughout my neighbourhood. Miriam is a wonder who can bake muffins from scratch and take an amazing photo of a fly on a flower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great shots! I’m impressed with how many insects you can name.

    ReplyDelete
  40. It seems nature is in full swing with you. I saw my first sign of Magpies with nest material today, so we must be through the worst of our winter!
    Hope all is well. Cheers - Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello David, I think I’ve mentioned it before, but if not, your current header is just excellent. I always enjoy your captions … you definitely have a wonderful way with words. 😊 And I admire the expertise both you and Miriam have with a camera. A word to other bloggers who might read this comment: Be sure to take the time to look through the larger images. They are amazing! Thank you, David, for sharing and best regards to you and yours. John

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am always eager to see what you have captured with your camera lens. Very enjoyable each photo. That is definitely a trail I would love walking down. I just read John's Island comment and he mentioned your header photo. I have been meaning to say for a long time that it is such a lovely photo of you and Miriam. It speaks volumes of your love of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Dear David, I would have collected and kept this beautiful blue jay feather, too. Good fortune and blessings are always needed. I would wish the same for K.Harris. I'm just afraid that her opponents are too strong or too unfair; terrible lies are already being told about her. As a non-white person and as a woman, she has it even harder. [New Zealand's Jacinda Ardern was bullied out of office (probably by her right-wing rivals) with threats of rape, among other things. :-( ]
    Let's turn back to the world of plants and animals, of which you both have taken some great photos. I would particularly like to highlight the tiny American toad, a delightful sight that reminds me of "our" Bufo bufo that sometimes wander through our garden and are no bigger than a centimeter. I'm glad that the ospreys had a successful season. Let's hope that things get better for the ruby-throated hummingbirds.
    I like your method of walking carefully and slowly. But I can only do that when we're out with our friends Brigitte and Peter - Brigitte and I take the nature photos, the men gossip with each other....
    As far as "common" goes, I completely agree with you. In German, the word "gemein" is used. But this term has two meanings - ordinary or mean / nasty... :-(
    All the best and a wonderful August, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/08/weltreise-2024-immer-noch-neuseeland.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. When you meander along those trails, take so many beautiful pictures and stop to investigate everything that moves, you can go a long way with that even knowing it.. Good thing that you had some muffins to sustain you..they look yummy ! I too like Morning Glory.
    .I am not sure that there are Candy stripers in hospitals any longer..Not here anyway.
    There is some lovely plant photography in this post..I know there is a more proper name for it but it eludes me at the moment..maybe "botanical"?
    Another lovely conservation area... Thanks for taking us along..xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  45. Siempre es para mí un placer pasear contigo. Abrazos querido amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Another great outing and post. I always love seeing the Osprey. A beautiful collection of nature photos. Well done as always, a great report. Sorry I am late visiting and commenting. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Qué bello lugar, para poder comer algo rico y salir a disfrutar de las aves, los insectos y las plantas, en un entorno muy agradable

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi David - I'm really pleased you dawdle so Miriam can take such excellent shots ... while those youngsters on Vancouver Island gave you both all the right thumbs up. Wonderful to see the Ospreys ... and all those species referenced for us. I too loved seeing Chicory when I was on V Island ... it hadn't hit my senses before ... though the 'blue' colour had. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers