Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Book Review - Drawing Nature: The Creative Process of an Artist, Illustrator and Naturalist - Princeton University Press


      I remember the days before everyone had a camera and field work involved making sketches of what one saw, highlighting the distinguishing features of the organism under review, and just how inadequate I was. If there had been an award for drawing stick birds I might have been in the running!
     It was certainly a long way from the exquisite work displayed in this book. Yet I have little doubt that I would have benefitted from a book like this, and my amateurish efforts would have improved measurably.
     Today, of course, one takes a picture, and I think the art of making field sketches has been lost, and in many respects more's the pity. There was an unavoidable necessity to pay close attention to the subject at the time of the sighting without being able to rely on photographs to be studied later. I wonder, in fact if ubiquitous digital photography and online platforms will completely replace good field work? Perhaps it already has.
     None of this, however, detracts from the excellence depicted in these pages, and the processes required to perfect the very essence of wildlife art.


     Linda Miller Feltner makes the point more than once that one does not have to be perfect.
     And wildlife art bears a satisfaction all of its own. A photograph, even a very good photograph, presents an exact image of what the camera saw, without nuance or interpretation, and that surely is in large measure where creative art sets the bar much higher.


     I find it exceptionally pleasing that in so many instances Feltner includes organisms other then the principal subject of the picture, rounding out the ecological integrity of the piece to reflect the manner in which nature is experienced. A case in point is the exquisite rendering of a White-breasted Nuthatch with a Tolype moth almost hidden against the bark of the tree. This is how nature works and we are treated to an examination of cryptic coloration in addition to the characteristic pose of the bird. One has to search for the moth, be alive to the possibility, and that's as it should be.
     Practical advice is furnished throughout the book, so that it may be enjoyed as both a teaching tool and a visual delight. The creative process is explained in considerable detail in ways that are both entertaining and educational.


     It has been my good fortune to have acquired a decent collection of art from an eminent Canadian wildlife artist, and it has been a singular pleasure every time I have visited his studio to have him explain the entire creative process of the work I am about to buy. This book is imbued with that sense. We don't wish to simply admire the picture, we want to know know what went into it, the emotional energy, the technique, the choice of materials and their application.


     This book succeeds at every level. 
     You will be enriched by reading it and thrilled with the wonders of nature that leap out from its pages. Read, observe, learn and enjoy. I know I did.


Niggly bits:
At the end of the book under "Recommended Reading for Creative Inspiration" (a great way to title a bibliography), we see the following entry:
Lansdowne, James F., and John Livingston, Birds of the Eastern Forest, Vols. 1 and 2. McClellen & Stewart, 1968-1970.
All well and good, except that the publisher is not McClellen & Stewart, but McLelland and Stewart Limited.
Nitpicking? Maybe, but I don't think so. The reader should have every expectation that information presented will be correct and this is not.



Drawing Nature: The Creative Process of an Artist, Illustrator, and Naturalist - Princeton University Press
Linda Miller Feltner
Hardcover - US$35.00 - ISBN: 9780691255385
272 pages - 8.5 x 11 inches (21.25 x 27.5 cm)
530+ colour and black-and-white illustrations
Publication date: 02 July, 2024

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

39 comments:

  1. This book sounds right up my very broad alley. Thank you. And believe me you would have competition for your stick figure awards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have a moment of madness I might even give it a try again!

      Delete
  2. these are even more amazing than photos. these days any and all can take a decent or really good photo, but only a few can sketch like this.. the thing is, people who could draw nature like this were rare, as seen by my horrid attempts at art on the iPad.. digital is good and bad at the same time.. its a beautiful book..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I can not draw at all, but this book would be nice to own for the visual delights. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful book from the sound of it. I was once hired to teach a drawing workshop to a group of amateur herbalists. The big point of it was that you never forget something you've drawn. No matter how wobbly your rendition, your memory retains the subject and you can identify it forever from then on. They were surprised at how much they learned from the session of quietly studying then rendering the subject, usually a single sprig from the arm load of herbs I'd brought from my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a useful book, David. I admire anyone who can draw so beautifully. As you say, everyone has a camera/mobile with them when they are out in nature. It's a shame, because a beautiful drawing is a small work of art.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a whole new opportunity, Marit. I will look forward to watercolors of your flowers. Hugs and Kisses - David

      Delete
  6. ...this is a gift that I don't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure you need a gift, Tom, just a little time and discipline. You are not going to become a great artist, but nor are any of us.

      Delete
  7. I have always wanted to draw or paint, but fail badly every time I try. Just missing that gene I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Between nature drawings and wildlife sculptures, there is a wondrous display of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You often review books that I would find as interesting in the abstract but would probably never buy. But this one -- I just put it on my Amazon wish list. Thank you for showing so many pages of illustrations -- it gives me a good idea of what might work for me (or not) and her style. She's really remarkable, sort of the Lizzie Harper of the animal/creature world. Thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely book. I need to get back to drawing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always admired people who could draw. You would have lots of competition in stick drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are still a lot of wildlife artists, but that level of talent is more rare. I have great admiration for those artists! There are also still many plein air art groups all over and lots of nature artists that teach online. I do not have their talent, but I enjoy learning and practicing as someone with very limited abilities. Many artists use a picture or photograph of whatever subject they want to draw or paint. Even many plein air painters take photos at the time to use to finish the piece or to work on a new piece at home. So being able to take photos so much more easily these days is actually a good thing for artists, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a friend in Toronto who illustrates books in gorgeous nature art of a more whimsical nature but exquisite. I do envy such talent and have watched her work with her tiny brushes. This book sounds gorgeous as to detail. But I too get irritated when such books are not proofread adequantely..
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hay que tener buenas dotes de dibujante, para hacer tan buenos trabajos.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so admire artists that can create such beauty via a pencil or paint.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am terrible at drawing sadly. Ths book does look good though. I studied art at school and just got a pass mark many moons ago! I am always in awe of people who can draw :-)

    Oh, I ordered that book your recommended about the crows, so just waiting for it to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am confident that you will both enjoy the crow book and learn from it, Ananka.

      Delete
  17. I truly hope that photography has not fully replaced field sketches, and from what I see, those sketches are still rather popular. Our "very own" Obi Kaufmann is a good example. This book by Linda Miller Feltner is exquisite, and I really like that she also writes what got into the process of her sketches, what material she used etc. I have a feeling that this book will land on my wishlist pile. Thank you - Carola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you have artistic inclinations, Carola, I have no doubt that you would enjoy it and benefit from it.

      Delete
  18. I do admire anyone who can draw so beautifully ... something that escapes me!
    It is always a pleasure to see illustrations (as well as photographs) in books.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Todos los libros que nos traes me gustan. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh yesss! I had a gigantic collection when was little, what I liked were books about animals drawn in great detail, this post has brought back pleasant memories🌱🐣🌈🍄🎨🖼️💛
    I love the art of wildlife illustration, it will never be lost. They have a unique charm.

    The final observation about the precision of bibliographic information, it`s important and necessary, it´s ok!

    Have a gorgeous night!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It seems like a useful book David.
    There are such beautiful drawings in it, I think it's great that you can draw so well, I can't do drawings anything at all.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just my sort of book. I love drawing and painting but these days my only painting is walls, doors and window frames. I need to get back to painting pictures, not that I am that good, but looking around my office as I type this, I have 5 of my paintings on the walls all of which were painted when I had time in Africa. I used to work all day, and still find time to cycle and paint besides housework and cooking. Now I am retired I never have time to do anything for myself!!
    Bisous mon ami, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do take pictures, Diane, and post them to your blog. I would love to see your African paintings. Bisous xo - David

      Delete
  23. The perfect book for my daughter, David !
    The illustrations looks incredible...I have no talent to draw...unfortunately...
    Have a great day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too have always admired people who could draw. When I was young I've seen a TV series based on Edith Holden's life and her Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady impressed me deeply. I never became a wild-life artist but in the last 10 years or so, taking lots of photos of my surroundings has helped me to learn a lot about nature. :)
    Thank you for a very interesting review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your nuanced eye would benefit from this book, Sara.

      Delete
  25. This book looks amazing. Those drawings take so much patience, besides talent. I am adding this one to my wish list. I don't think I'll ever be patient enough to draw nature so beautifully, but it is certainly fun to look at it. Have a great rest of your week David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may not get to this level, Erika, but I am confident you will improve your technique and enhance your results.

      Delete
  26. Nature photos are wonderful but my goodness, the artwork in this book is outstanding, and loving art as I do, I am going to purchase this book. Very grateful for the review David, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers