Friday, July 05, 2024

A Few Insects and Arachnids Seen at Home

     People often talk of the wonderful event of intellectual Man - the appearance of insects with other senses is more wonderful.
Charles Darwin

     For those who care to look (and be entranced) there are insects, spiders and other arthropods aplenty around your home - a world of wonder right on your doorstop sometimes literally.

Zebra Jumping Spider (Salticus scenicus)


     This is a very attractive little spider; here is a female with prey which she has literally jumped on to capture, as the name implies. Her keen eyesight enables her to find prey (e.g. flies, mosquitoes) with precision and capture them with lightning speed. 
     How can you fail to love a spider that consumes mosquitoes? Better invite them to your next lunch on the patio!

Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes)


     For several years now we have scanned the Rue (Ruta graveolens) in the garden and have brought in the eggs of Black Swallowtail to raise them indoors, safe from predation by birds and ichneumon wasps.
     Most pupae hatch the same year but sometimes a few enter diapause and we overwinter them in our garage, to hatch the following spring.
     This is one of two that brought us joy in this manner. We have others now at the chrysalis stage (this year's batch) and they should be hatching soon. 

Barn Funnel Weaver (Tegenaria domestica)


     Barn Funnel Weaver favours human structures to build its web, being especially attracted to cracks and crevices which serve as shelter and concealment.
     This species builds a funnel web, and when it detects prey at the entrance to the funnel it rushes forward at great speed to capture its hapless victim to be dragged to the back of the funnel to be eaten.

One-banded Mason Wasp (Ancistrocerus unifasciatus)


     Mason wasps are named for the type of nest they build. Most species are solitary and all pack a powerful sting. They are a gardener's friend inasmuch as they control populations of undesirable caterpillars.
     They show remarkable restraint in stinging humans only infrequently, despite our constant interference in, and disruption of, their lives.

Discoloured Renia Moth (Renia discolaris)


     Not a great deal is known about this moth, other than it appears to feed almost exclusively on dead leaves and other detritus. The rest of its lifestyle is largely unknown and awaits further study.

Large Lace-Border Moth (Scopula limboundata)


     This beautiful diurnal moth really does convey an impression of laciness. Viewed from a distance, however, it resembles bird droppings, no doubt an effective defence mechanism.
     Its caterpillar takes the form of an inchworm, providing much delight for children.

Asiatic Wall Jumping Spider (Attulus fasciger)


     An attractive spider that has found its way from Asia and is fond of human dwellings. It demonstrates the ease with which arthropods move from one continent to another in an era when thousands of container loads of fruit and other produce - and products - arrive at North American ports daily.

Flesh Flies (family Sarcophagidae)


     Flesh flies differ from most flies in that they are ovoviviparous, and give birth to live maggots which are deposited on carrion, dung or other decaying material. Protein is critical for the developing young, but adults will also feed on nectar and other sweet substances.

Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) and Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle (Labidomera clivicollis)

     If you have never grown Butterfly Milkweed in your garden I highly recommend it to you.


     It is vivid, dramatic, bold and beautiful and requires no care at all. It is a perennial plant and comes up year after year - a feast for the eyes - and for a variety of insects too.


     Swamp Milkweed Beetle may often be found, brightly coloured and superficially resembling a lady beetle.


     Eggs are laid on the leaves and the plump-bodied larvae feed for a few weeks before dropping to the ground to pupate in the soil.

Green Pug (Pasiphila restangulata)


     Green Pug, a night-flying moth is present in June and July. It 
is occasionally observed during the day  and Miriam was quick off the mark to take this picture.
     I don't know much of its habits or breeding biology and my reference books have proven of little help.
     It's a lovely insect, however, and that will have to suffice.
     
     There are more, but that's probably enough for this time. I hope you will enjoy this brief account and perhaps emerge from reading it a little more kindly disposed to organisms that are critical to all life on Earth. 



David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

44 comments:

  1. There are wonders to be found in almost every house and garden. I do find myself wishing that we had the Large Lace-Border Moth though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...the Black Swallowtail steals the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Black Swallowtail is very beautiful, David. I wish it could visit my garden too 😊
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fan of spiders :-/ That black swallowtail looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love insects, endlessly interesting and colorful. I found a little gold one on a hibiscus yesterday, and haven't yet identified it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    OOoh, loved these. I do like a good bug viewing! I am particularly drawn to the fact that you have a funnel-making spider in Canada; the Australian Funnel Web spider is poisonous and not something to be welcomed too close to home! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, so many interesting ones around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes) is a really stunning butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stunning indeed. We had another one hatch today.

      Delete
  9. Except for butterflies, I hate insects, especially ants that bite me. Bring out the Raid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the response of so many humans is to kill insects - and look where that has brought us.

      Delete
  10. The Black Swallowtail is a beauty. Not a fan of spiders especially big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The spider that caught the mosquito deserves congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Insects are amazing and interesting. It's nice to see and follow their activities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are several people around here that raise Monarchs... The black swallowtail is gorgeous I seem to have difficulty photographing butterflies. I would prefer to photograph them over spiders! Not a fan! I have seen jumping spiders. Not sure if it was a zebra or not.. I tend not to dwell on them. The lace border life is beautiful as well... I don't think I have ever seen one.... Although inchworms are very familiar to me.
    Milkweed is easily found here. Planted in many gardens for the butterflies. It kind of takes over your garden so I let others plant it while reaping the benefits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear that people are planting milkweeds. We have three species in our yard.

      Delete
  14. As always a very enjoyable post. We get the black and the yellow swallowtails. They love the butterfly trees and I love watching them. When we lived out in the county we got such beautiful moths. Not so much in town. Have a grand weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Swamp Milkweed Beetle are so colorful.
    I have heard it is just one of about 2,000 species of leaf beetles in the American continent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spiders creep me out and wasps send me running, but the Swallowtail butterfly and the moths are more to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It really is amazing what we find in our homes and gardens. I love the zebra jumping spider. I saw one on my door and took a photo of him a few years ago. I have never seen that type of wasp before, over here we get the black and yellow paper wasps. That fly looks mighty scary! I get eaten alive and ended up in hospital from a bite from a horsefly. My face ballooned, it wasn't a nice experience. Been stung by both a bumblebee and wasp and no isses. Saved many a bee and wasp too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let me put it this way -- I'd rather not look. But in some cases, looking is essential! Especially in a cottage closed up for the winter with windows that don't quite fit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fascinating what can be found in the garden. Wonderful macros and appreciate the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there is much more, Denise, much, much more.

      Delete
  20. David, I love this post so much! As you know I look out for those insects and find their world endlessly fascinating. It was actually you who inspired me to look more closely and it has been such a delightful and interesting journey so far. There is a huge amount of knowledge I need to gather (I'm really in my baby shoes in this regard), and reading your blog gives me some of this knowledge (just by reading this post I learned a few new words). Thank you for the inspiration! Hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carola: I am thrilled to think that my blog has influenced you in this way. Thanks for telling me. Hugs - David

      Delete
  21. I like all the domestic bugs, especially the pseudo ladybug and the large lace border moth, they are pure miniature art! 🌸🎀🌺🌷

    Have a beautiful weekend
    Sending flying kisses ♡❀˖⁺.✨🍄🌱༶ ⋆˙Byeeee ⊹❀♡🌸

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello David,
    the beauty and details of some insects can only be seen when you look closely, some might disgust you, others are really pretty.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful series of photos David.
    I love spiders, but this time I think the Black Swallowtail is the most beautiful photo.
    I wish you a good weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous butterfly and well captured too.
    Bit wary of those spiders though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post with lots of info, you obviously have more time than I do as I only manage to name them. Love the Black Swallowtail it is stunning. We seem to be very short of butterflies this year.
    Bon week-end mon ami, bisous, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. More beautiful outside than inside ;)
    Great pictures !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  27. A good collection of insects and arachnids. In the countryside, gardens, and even at home, there are many insects and arachnids. So you just have to be attentive to find them.
    You are an expert at this!
    Good shots
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  28. The black swallowtail looks amazing, David. It's good that Mason wasp doesn't live near my house, br br. Asclepias tuberosa grows here but does not always survive the winter. I like your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi David.

    Beautiful flowers and insects.
    The butterflies are very beautiful.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I get those swamp milkweed beetles on the milkweed in my yard. I've never seen the butterfly milkweed anywhere around my area. I need to look for it. And nice spiders too. I actually like spiders, but the ones I've seen aren't as handsome as that zebra spider. Wow, what a beauty. Have a great weekend David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we lived closer I could give you some seeds.

      Delete
  31. Bravo, David! You have found and, photographed very well, many interesting small creatures.
    I needed to check what "funnel" means. Interesting... and reading the comments tells us the Canadian Barn Funnel Weaver is more likeable than its far cousin in Australia.
    Another inspiring post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love that lacy moth and also loved the dragonflies in my last house who fed on the blackflies so we could enjoy the outdoors. I don't remember them in Ontario. That butterfly is stunning.
    And I am a huge fan of spiders.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my! That Black Swallowtail is beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  34. De tu reportaje me gusta todo. Tengo muchas fotografías de insectos en mis carpetas, pronto tengo que ponerlos en mí blog. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello. It's amazing how beautiful insects are when you see them up close or in photos like in your post.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Impresionante la de insectos que has encontrado en tu entorno, a veces vale la pena mirar a ese mundo pequeño que nos rodea y al que apenas prestamos atención.
    Muchos besos!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers