Monday, July 08, 2024

Kissing Bridge Trailway and Health Valley Trail

      We walk so often that it's almost inevitable that some of these posts occur far beyond the date of the activity, so you will understand that by now nature's cycles may have moved on.
 
07 May, 2024
Kissing Bridge Trailway, Elmira, ON


     We had barely set foot on the trail when we were greeted by an Eastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis), a fine specimen who had over-wintered well.



     While we watched the snake a Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus) affirmed its name and warbled to us.


     I am not sure whether House Wrens (Troglodytes aedon) have had an especially good year, or whether we have just noticed them more, but they are prolific and we have discovered several breeding pairs.


     An Ontario forest without Trilliums (Trillium grandiflorum) would be like Marilyn Monroe without an updraft.


     Star-flowered Lily-of-the Valley (Maianthemum stellatum) is a bit of a mouthful, but the plant is very attractive.


     I remember being enchanted with Forget-me-Nots (Myosotis sylvatica) as a child, and loving them dearly, and wondering whether I would be forgotten! Believe it or not, the first acquaintance with scientific names that I can remember was finding out what sylvatica meant, and then using the words "sylvan glades" in a school essay. It's odd what one remembers, isn't it?


     Strawberries (genus Fragaria) will provide food for many organisms, from slugs to skunks, from raccoons to rabbits. 


     Smooth Yellow Violet (Viola eriocarpa) is as beautiful as Lisa's smile.


     Spotted Pink Lady Beetle (Coleomegilla maculata) is native to North America (hooray!), a seeming rarity in the Coccinellidae where many invasive species have become firmly established.



     A Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) is like an old friend who never lets you down.


     And an American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) leaves you gob-smacked every time you see it.


     The appearance of Northern Azure (Celesrina lucia) is a familiar sign of spring.



     I don't think we were ever out of earshot of American Robin (Turdus migratorius) and it made us happy. It always does.


13 May, 2024
Health Valley Trail, Waterloo to St. Jacobs, ON


     "Welcome," said a Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus).



     We had not gone far before the first Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) popped up.


     No doubt a Carpet Moth (subfamily Larentiinae) would make a fine snack!


     We saw several Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus), its distinctive che-bek song usually announcing its presence before we spotted the bird.


     In Field Guide to North American Flycatchers (2023), it says, "Least emits an abrupt rising "whit" like Dusky, Willow and Grey, but it is shorter, sharper and more abrupt. Least's "whit" also has a strong harmonic, giving it a more energetic call than Dusky, Willow and Grey." If you can pick that out in the field your ears are a whole lot sharper than mine!
     A Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) perched atop a tree in regal splendour.


     A Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) by contrast portrayed serenity and delicacy.


     We seemed to be in the company of Yellow Warblers (Setophaga aestiva) the whole time.


     Here is a Least Flycatcher gathering nesting material.


   'Tis that time of year!
     This old tree is truly majestic - inspirational, awe-inspiring.


     It makes you want to wrap your arms around it.
     Warbling Vireos often warbled to us.


     An immature male Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) in first breeding plumage looked very striking.


     This is what he is aspiring to.


     Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) is a polyandrous species and this was probably an assertive female.


     She was joined along the river by a couple of Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus).


     A Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) cruised above our heads, seeking a favourable spot to feed.


     A female Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) perched coyly.


     Not an especially good photograph, but an Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) was scanning the river for fish.


     
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) is often found close to water where there are many insects.


     Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) is not a plant we look forward to encountering and we are very careful not to come into contact with it.


     Much of this trail wends its way alongside the Grand River and it is picturesque.


     Where there is water, there are herons.


     The following picture will convey the extent to which Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata) has invaded woodland ecosystems and conquered native species.


     Early settlers who brought it over to flavour their salads had no idea of the destructive legacy they were creating.
     As might be expected, we saw turtles. Midland Painted Turtle (Chrysemis picta marginata).....


     ..... and Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina).
 

     Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) is an exceptionally attractive little bird, and the males were in fine voice.


     Amber Snails (family Succineidae) were present in profusion.


     Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus repens) is a bright, cheerful and very welcome part of my world.


     Tell me this doesn't bring a smile to your face.


     A Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) was patrolling the river searching for food and was perhaps nesting nearby. This species, uniquely amongst sandpipers, uses old songbird nests, sometimes high in the trees. It is assumed that the young leap from the nest in the manner of Wood Ducks chicks, but as far as I can tell no one seems to have witnessed this.
     I have never found an active nest.


     Brown-headed Cowbirds (Molothrus ater) sometimes evoke sentiments of hostility from humans, on account of their parasitic ways.


     In reality they are simply doing what they are genetically programmed to do - and succeeding very well. It seems odd to me that some humans will draw on their own sense of value and impose it on a completely different organism, as though they should mend their ways and "do what we do."
     We have more than enough deviancy in our own species, never mind casting judgement on others.
     Purple Martin (Progne subis) has suffered catastrophic declines in recent years (along with all other aerial insectivores), so it's always great to see them - even if we don't have a great picture!


     It was a very pleasant surprise to come upon an Olive-sided Flycatcher (Contopus cooperi).


     An Eastern Chipmunk (Tamias striatus) is always delightful, and we never tire of seeing them.


     American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) breeds locally, and is usually not difficult to find.


     White-crowned Sparrows (Zonotrichia albicollis) are migrants spring and fall.


     Many Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) already have young, but this female was still incubating eggs.


     Dryad's Saddle (Ceriporus squamosus) is one of our most common fungi; perhaps the most common.


     Wild Geranium (Geranium maculatum) enhances the landscape and is a magnet for pollinators.


     There are many apple trees (genus Malus) - how they got there I am not sure.


     Just before we  arrived back at the car, a Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) was probing in the grass.


      A very pleasant ending to a wonderful walk.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

49 comments:

  1. I really liked the names of these delightful walks - and am grateful for the bounty you share. Very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...once again, David nothing seems to to be missed by your eye. Thanks for taking me along for the hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bald eagle is imposing. An abundance of flora.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great variety of bird sightings. Beautiful flowers, butterflies and bird photos.
    Take care, have a great day and a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many fabulous birds and other creatures, you really see a lot. My fave today is the Indigo bunting, I love that colour! Have a great walk, keep walking, hugs, Valerie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a wonderful little bird with an appealing song too.

      Delete
  6. You are so lucky to see so many different kinds of birds!! I LOVE Forget-me-Nots...think they are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get out and look you can see them too, Angie.

      Delete
  7. La serpeiente me daría un gran temos, pero por lo demás, me parece una gran paseo y con buena presencia de aves y otros animales. Cada paso del camino, es un buen descubrimiento.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for bringing me back to May, David! I love to see the Trilliums and Forget-me-not. We have the same name in Norwegian. Sylvatica means " grows in the forest", and I guess you knew it too 😊 I love this plant very much, and I have a lot of it in the garden.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have it in the garden too. It comes up every spring, requires no care and is always beautiful.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful post, wonderful creature, read up on the snake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. to me it is so wonderful that we can see the beauty and details of a snake, or the details of a birds feathers and beak, all because of digital cameras. looking at them in real life with only our eyes we miss each little detail, like the ladybug. its all there we just can't see it. one of the most exciting things I have seen on my morning walk with Beau, is a huge oak tree that a flock of hundreds of redwing blackbirds has landed in. they were singing and so beautiful. nothing but a cell so no photos. there is beauty in every single thing we see. even bark on a tree. thanks for sharing the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like snakes, but how pretty those forget me nots are! I also like that Indigo Bunting. As you can see, my favorite color is blue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hari OM
    Fret not about tardiness of posting - my posts are all running about three weeks behind. More sometimes. Yours always bring a smile and uplift the spirit. I particularly appreciate the minutiae of nature; the bugs and beetles and tiniest of flora... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The goldfinch and the Indigo Bunting are such wonderful pops of bright color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of beauties here, David, though I'll withhold judgment on the snake. That pink lady beetle is a stunner and I was intrigued by the interesting fungi near the end of the post. As always, you seem to be the bird whisperer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those walks have been very helpful.
    The variety is amazing. A real beauty.
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spotted Pink Lady Beetle looks absolutely pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear David, the Eastern Garter Snake is an attractive snake with its chic striped pattern! I had to laugh at your Marilyn Monroe comment ;-DD
    It was a pleasure again to accompany you and Myriam and see all the larger and smaller animals and also the plants.
    My husband and I were recently in the beautiful Wachau on the Danube for a few days, and because there were so many swallows and swifts there, I had to think about what I read today and recently from you about the rarity of swallows. It would be such a shame if these beautiful birds were to disappear one day. I was only able to take a few photos, though, because I forgot my camera and only had my smartphone with me.

    My current post features a bird that I hope you can identify, even though it's a New Zealand bird (and it's a fairly distant photo)... I'm guessing - after everything I've seen on the subject of New Zealand's birds of prey - that it's a Maori falcon... but maybe you can recognize more?

    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/07/weltreise-2024-neuseeland-von-nord-nach.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another beautiful outing, it's wonderful to see the variety of subjects you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We haven’t seen a garter snake this year. I enjoy seeing the turtles you feature, David. Nothing to see of that creature here. That indigo bunting is a beauty! I’d love to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another great walk. The little wrens with their delightful tails are a favorite, as well as the goldfinch. We actually have a colony of redwing blackbirds here in the atrium. The Savannah sparrow is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks like a big snake. I've got one living in my garden, and although I would never harm them, when they wiggle out and move away it is always when you least expect them. You saw some beautiful birds. I haven't seen an indigo bunting in a long time, but they are such a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi David, whatsup!
    those birds, those flowers, those majestic trees... what pleasant walks! i remain fascinated by these nature walks, except for the viper.
    The images give me the serenity of the landscape, as well as joy; observing these wonderful heavenly (and earthly) creatures is moving. They are masterpieces of nature.
    Also love the name of the park: Kissing Bridge Trailway, it's so romantic..!
    So i'm sending lots of kisses too,
    have a beautiful starry night ੈ✩‧₊˚ੈ✩‧₊˚˚ੈ✩‧₊˚

    🐢🍃🌲💚

    ReplyDelete
  23. Todo me ha parecido precioso, incluso la serpiente que parece que no es lo venenosa. Gracias por tus reportajes, siempre son geniales. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful photos of your walk David.
    Fortunately, we never see snakes in the wild here.
    The bald eagle is impressive.
    I enjoyed your photos.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi David.

    So much beauty to see.
    Beautiful Flowers, Birds, and Butterflies.
    The Snake and the Sea Eagle are beautiful.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the great photos. The birds are beautiful and that snake is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really hate snakes. They give me the willies, even ones that aren't dangerous. Been that way my whole life. We saw a very small in length and skinny white snake a couple weeks ago laying on the mulch in one of my flower beds. I was going to get a shovel to get rid of it, but didn't have time, it scurried away. Never in all the years we've been here have we seen any. No clue what it was, but it sure made me uncomfortable; as I do 99% of the yard work. I'm retired, hubby still works. LOVE Goldfinches, think they're such pretty birds, and you got a really good picture of it. For the first time ever, we have a couple of Merlins in the area. I think they may have a nest next door. We've had fun watching them when out on the deck for cocktails. They're so fast, can't get a picture. Not sure why we're seeing them this year and not before. As always enjoyed all your pictures, especially the flowers.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow....all that in one walk??? Exceptional pictures, informative dialogue... Very enjoyable post I am familiar with most of those subjects. The indigo bunting is so pretty. I have never seen one in person... I found the stages of the grosbeak interesting. I never would've thought that was an immature male...
    Thanks for sharing your adventure...Such a nice variety...Hugs...xxxx's..Missy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your eyes and ears peeled, Missy. Indigo Bunting should be reasonably common where you live.

      Delete
  29. A wonderful collection of photos :-D I enjoyed them David :-D

    ReplyDelete
  30. David!
    Trillium grandiflorum are very original and beautiful flowers. I haven't seen them in the wild. I love forget-me-nots, when I was a little girl I had earrings with this blue flower. I was fascinated by the American siskin, it looks like a lemon. It's good to be on your blog and admire the wonders of this world.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would love to come with you both on a walk but joining you via your blog is almost as good. It amazes me how different your Goldfinch is to ours, as is your robin. I think my favourite here is the Garter snake , what a great photo. Bisous Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think how much fun it would be to go on a walk together, Diane. Sadly, it will probably never happen.

      Delete
  32. What a wonderful sampling of nature. Okay, could have done without the snake pics, but that's just me;) We used to get indigo buntings when we lived in the county. Unfortunately, haven't seen any since we moved to town:(

    ReplyDelete
  33. Enjoyed the diversity of birds in this blog post. I am particularly drawn to the brightly colored birds. I find them so amusing, especially the bright blue one. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nature at its best here. I am always in awe of everything you see on your walks. The Eastern Garter Snake is fascinating close up and the photo shows a lot of detail. I rarely see them and reptiles have always fascinated me. Thank you David!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome post David!
    Green, nature, snake, I really liked the American Redstart, but also the wildflowers!
    You introduced the Spotted Pink Lady Beetle incredibly to the beautiful flowers!
    The Savannah Sparrow in black with some red is gorgeous! But the eagle like a king is also watching!
    You also put the necessary links with the information!
    Thank you so much for this wonderful nature walk!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome post David!
    Green, nature, snake, I really liked the American Redstart, but also the wildflowers!
    You introduced the Spotted Pink Lady Beetle incredibly to the beautiful flowers!
    The Savannah Sparrow in black with some red is gorgeous! But the eagle like a king is also watching!
    You also put the necessary links with the information!
    Thank you so much for this wonderful nature walk!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey David, popping back in in follow up. You mentioned you were looking for a way to follow me, but didn't see on. My followers area, like yours below is at the very top of my blog; but when I check it, it indicated you are already following...so, I'm confused. And in doing this follow up realized I wasn't on your followers list, but am now. I just always visit everyone on my bloglist from my blog and had added you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. That should work and I will look forward to getting notified when you post.

      Delete
  38. Hello David, your walks are so worthwhile! So much encounters with so much different birds, plants and animals. The colours on the birds are always so wonderful. Miriam made again great photos. Enjoyed this post al lot.
    Take care,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'd love to see a bald eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That tree! My kind of tree for sure. So David, did you kiss on Kissing Bridge? How did it get its name? I only know kissing gates of which we encountered many in England and my then boyfriend (now husband) and I used to exactly that - kissing and then moving on with refreshed energy on our hikes. Like you, I always enjoy hearing the robins - we have many around here and they are very vocal. I love it! Garter snakes are so beautiful, and these are great pictures of it. Thank you! Hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Mennonite country, Carola, and this is a covered bridge. When the buggy was inside the bridge and shaded from public scrutiny, there was time and opportunity to kiss. That’s how the bridge acquired its name.

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers