Monday, June 17, 2024

Book Review - The Lives of Bees: A Natural History of Our Planet's Bee Life - Princeton University Press


      I hear the band cuing the music in celebration of another volume in the "Lives of" series of books, detailing nature in all its splendid and life-affirming diversity. This one is about bees, those interesting and essential insects, found everywhere but Antarctica, so vital to pollination, yet threatened by anthropogenic poisons of unrelenting toxicity, accompanied by habitat loss and a warming Earth; they are indeed facing life on the edge. 
     Christina Grozinger and Harland Patch have done a masterful job of presenting bees in every phase of their lives. The text is highly instructive and the illustrations are a study in excellence.


     I am sure that it comes as a surprise to some people that there are so many different kinds of bees, most of which are stingless, and even those species capable of stinging are reluctant to do so. In many ways, bees have had a bad rap, yet they are integrated into our lives as producers of honey, and as pollinators of many of our food crops - apples, watermelons, cucumbers, tomatoes, coffee, most berries, almonds, cashews...and many more.
     Despite this dependence on bees, we have done a pretty thorough job of trying to exterminate them by degrading their habitat, and attacking them with a whole arsenal of poisons. Neonicotinoids have proven to be the most deadly, and their use has now been banned or greatly restricted in Europe; sadly in North America we have not been as wise.


     In so many ways bees are ambassadors for the insect world at large. Hazards for one species are hazards for all, and we tamper with them at our peril. The wise words of E.O. Wilson, one of the greatest biologists of all time, are as true now as when he uttered them: "If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos."
     This book can teach you so much about bees in all their glorious diversity, and in the process you will learn, at the very least, to respect and cherish them for their ecosystem services, and at best to love them for their incredible beauty and myriad lifestyles, that contribute so greatly to an appreciation of the diversity of life on Earth.


      Thank you Christina Grozinger and Harland Patch for a job very well done. This book should act as a springboard to further study. Knowledge is everything.
     Perhaps there is still hope for a brighter future for these beleaguered creatures. I hope so!


The Lives of Bees: A Natural Histor of Our Planet's Bee Life - Princeton University Press
Christina Grozinger and Harland Patch
Hardcover - US$35.00 - ISBN: 9780691247298
288 pages - 7.5 x 9.5 inches (18.75 x 23.75 cm) - 150+ colour illustrations
Publication date: 04 June, 2024



David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

44 comments:

  1. Unlike you, I have been stung several times on my arms and even my big toe! Aaargh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recall having been stung by a bee once. Wasps are a different story entirely!

      Delete
  2. ...and our lives would be bleak without bees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been stung many times in my life, from sweat bees to yellow jackets, honeybees, wasps, once by a bumblebee, and once by a hornet. It's not pleasant, but thankfully I am not allergic, and I must taste delicious because bugs of all kinds gleefully bite me. But that does not deter me from being outdoors, or from appreciating the work these magnificent insects do. Just this morning I watched a small bumblebee pollinating a tomato plant, and the white clover we have mowed carefully around was full of honeybees. These is nothing like being in the garden, surrounded by the hum of insects and birdsong. Makes my heart happy.
    I pass on your reviews to my local library, and they have added several. Will pass this one on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s wonderful that you recommend them to your local library. Bravo, Granny Sue!

      Delete
  4. By the way, that quote really struck me. Yes, the world might be a better place without humans. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos....and we human will disappear in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. La vida de las abejas, tiene una buena relación con la vida de nuestro planeta.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed, and the sooner we accept that the better.

      Delete
  7. Bees are so important David, and we would starve very quickly if they disappeared. I don't use any poison in my garden. The bees have been very few this spring. I'm very worried about it. I'm sure it's a very important book. Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing that we know this, Marit, yet we still don't take adequate measures to protect bees - and other pollinators for that matter.

      Delete
  8. Bees are such fabulous creatures, and so important. Sounds like another great book! Hugs, Valerie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I share the hope in your final sentence, but worry. A lot.
    Bee stings do bad things to me, but I still love and admire them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good presentation of the book David!
    He really seems to have amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bees are just so important.
    Thanks for the book review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been trying to remember the book I read not too long ago about Bees... It was so interesting. When I remember I will let you know. Chances are that I read about it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catarina. A lot has been written about bees recently, and we can only hope that knowledge translates into action to save and protect these vital insects.

      Delete
  13. Hello, dearest David!
    I love the glorious bees, ove them very much. I try to take care of them, i'm planting flowers so they come 🐝💛🍯
    Poor things,
    the damage we do to it with chemicals, smoke, pollution, pesticides is sad. we must protect them. Beautiful book with gorgeous photos.

    Have a spectacular midsummer night's dream
    Bye, bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are always so much fun, Carolina.

      Delete
  14. Hi David - these Princeton books are amazing - and it's wonderful we can get the knowledge out there ... I too very much hope we look after all life - take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. If there are no more bees, people will die out too.
    Bees are of the utmost importance.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm scared of bees and wasps, but I know how much we need them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bees are disappear here too...Pesticides, herbicides and Asian wasp are the cause...
    Books show us the beauty and importance they have on our planet...
    Have a shinny day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how we do need bees in our lives. Looks a nice little box.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Of course, I'm afraid of bee stings too, David. But in truth, wasps bite more often because they are angrier than bees. Unfortunately the environment is changing for the worse for bees, you are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience bees are very reluctant to sting, whereas wasps sometimes seem downright mean.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful and useful species. Besieged, unfortunately, as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm often thinking how wonderful it would be for the Earth if we humans disappeared. I believe it could still save this amazingly beautiful planet.
    Of bees, bumblebees are my favourites, easily observed and photographed because buzzing around everywhere near the house.
    Thank you for your comment today. A rhubarb sauce served with chicken sounds really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another wonderful book, David.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vulture bees!! Underground no less!!!
    Last year I found an underground nest under one of my shrubs.. The shrub was dying and I was digging it out... Fortunately I did not get stung. That's not uncommon around here. My stepdaughter and her husband had about eight Hives and used to harvest the honey. Then they fell victim to colony collapse and found that her husband is deathly allergic to bee stings so they no longer raise bees.
    Something else that needs protection from humans!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You just broadened my horizons. I did not know some bees were stingless.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bees of all kinds are such an essential part of the environment. It seems that this book gives them the respect they are due.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Una preciosidad de libro, me encanta. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Un libro muy interesante de una especie que hay que proteger, gracias por compartir David. Un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is another that looks beautifully written and illustrated. I am quite tolerant of bees. Wasps and hornets, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bees are wonderful insects. I don't even want to think what would happen if bees stopped existing.
    David, excellent review.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I share your hope, that you expressed in your last sentence, David. It seems, it's mainly the European honey bee that is on people's radar, if at all. But there are so many kinds of native bees that we can support. I am always amazed how many different kinds of bees I discover in my garden beside the European honey bee. I have a hard time correctly identifying them, maybe one day I will be able to do so. For the moment I enjoy their happy humming when they fly around and sit on my plants. Hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  31. They are amazing insects and so true that we can't do without them and do not do enough to protect them. We have aa guy in the village who installed a hive in our bush area. He looks after them and has all the gear. He gives away the honey to residents. I went to take photos of him collecting and got chased by one even though I was still at first and walked slowly. luckily it gave up after a while. I have a photographer fb friend she has an amazing video of bees in Utah.
    https://www.facebook.com/share/r/b8JgCDjH4EHXZCVy/

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers