Sunday, May 19, 2024

Book Review - Sharkpedia: A Brief Compendium of Shark Lore - Princeton University Press


      Princeton University Press is once again bringing out the heavy hitters of the shark world, as Daniel C. Abel and Marc Dando are pressed into service to bring Sharkpedia to fruition.
      My interest in the oceanic realm was first stimulated as best I recall when I first saw Le Monde du Silence (in Paris no less), Jacques-Yves Cousteau's monumental tribute to life beneath the waves. It has subsequently been proven that it is not as silent as Cousteau imagined, but the mystery and the majesty remain. My interest in sharks has grown exponentially, due in no small measure to Abel's previous books and Dando's phenomenal artwork.


      In the usual manner of the "pedia" series, Abel gives an alphabetic account of sharks from every perspective imaginable, including their inclusion in popular culture, history, and Hollywood. Sharks and their allies, like most marine organisms are under threat, principally from overfishing, but equally from a whole suite of anthropogenic assaults that threaten the continued existence of some species. While there are bright spots here and there, the overall picture is glum.


     I was pleased that Abel included a reference to The Old Man and the Sea, the story of an old man's epic struggle to bring in a shark, and surely one of the greatest pieces of literature ever written.
     In his list of Twentieth Century Shark Biologists Abel, as might be expected, modestly excludes himself, but I have no doubt that he ranks highly and deserves inclusion. I have certainly benefitted from his knowledge and his ability to interpret science for others.
     I have a couple of quibbles, however. The first is relatively minor; on page 39, Abel refers to the "Thames River", the one in London, England, universally known as the River Thames. The Thames River is found in the eponymous London, Ontario and differentiates the two.
     My second quibble is (at least for me) more serious. I deplore Abel's repeated use of the word "cool" and especially in the instance where he plunges into a linguistic abyss with "way cool". Surely a distinguished scientist, faced with an arsenal of adjectives and adverbs, with which the English language is exceptionally rich, could find a better word than "cool", an overworked and trite expression if ever I knew one. It made me cringe every time I came across it.
     I have no doubt that like me you all admire Dando's illustrations.


     You might say that they are exceptional, delicate even, scintillating springs to mind, accurate might fit; I could even make a case for disturbing, others might say beautiful, some might say terrifying.
      Describe them as you will, but please don't call them cool!



Sharkpedia: A Brief Compendium of Shark Lore - Princeton University Press
Daniel C. Abel - Illustrations by Marc Dando
Hardcover - US$17.95 - ISBN: 9780691252612
176 pages - 4.5 x 6.75 inches (11.25 x 16.875 cm)
50 black-and-white illustrations.
Publication date: 28 May, 2024



    
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

33 comments:

  1. ...I know that sharks are an important part of the ecosystem, but they kept me from getting in the water in Maui.

    ReplyDelete
  2. El mundo de los tiburones, me parece muy interesante. Un abrazo y gracias por estar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a good book.
    I don't like sharks, luckily they don't occur here in the lake where I live.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that title. Do they have these for other topics too? At the end of this week I'm going to see Richard Dreyfus talk about something and they are going to show Jaws. I am not sure that movie did anything to help sharks at all because so many people can't separate that fiction from fact. But I do like that film. have a great start to your new week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will see that the previous review is Lichenpedia. I also have Birdpedia, Fungipedia, Insectpedia, Dinopedia and Floropedia. There are a couple of others too, Treepedia springs to mind.

      Delete
  5. I am not fancy for them...shark means danger for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have lived the majority of my life within 10 mile of coastal beaches and fear of sharks kept me ON the beach, or no deeper than my knees while I scanned. they are important as all creatures are, but no desire to join them in their environment. I must admit, I am guilty of using the word Cool most of my life, I am wondering how old he is, could not find that by searching.. he doesn't look anywhere near the age of Cool Old People Like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your fear, of course, is totally irrational, but is shared by many as you see above. You are far more likely to get killed in traffic, or injured even in your own home.

      Delete
  7. Hi David - I like the ABC listings - which perhaps makes it easier for a non-scientific person to read and learn from - I find it useful at times. I know practically nothing about sharks - but certainly could learn. I know recently a couple of things bugged me about the way people speak/imply on programmes I enjoy ... but can definitely see 'cool' way too often would be awful. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review as always, David. Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, David, but I am not a shark friend! Theyy scare me! Have a great week, hugs! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharks fascinate me. I am MUCH more scared of cars and people than I am of them - though I wouldn't go into their territory at dawn or dusk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As might be expected, Sue, you have a rational, healthy fear of things that are likely to harm you, and not of sharks where the possibility of harm is infinitesimally small.

      Delete
  11. Your book reviews are always so enlightening. And the illustrations here are top notch. Happy Victoria Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These 'pedia' books you have been reviewing all sound very good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. ↶*ೃ✧˚. ❃ ↷ ˊ-
    This pedia significantly increases my understanding and
    appreciation of sharks and the marine world; for me this is cool! lol :D

    Greetings and good start to the week ahead! Bisous

    ↶*ೃ✧˚. ❃ ↷ ˊ-

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting are sharks, such beautiful creatures really but of course we here in Australia do have shark attacks in many areas but never as yet around the waters of Tasmania , yet sighted once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let’s put it in perspective, shall we - in 2022 there were 1,194 road crash deaths in Australia, compared with 9 shark incidents, only one of which was fatal.

      Delete
  15. Your commentary about "cool" and "way cool" made me laugh. Can't expect anything better from a scientist. I know it's awful to kill sharks for their fins, but I must admit that shark fin soup is absolutely delicious! Chinese restaurants in Hawaii no longer serve it, as it is prohibited. A forbidden pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if he were a climate scientist we could accept "cool!!"

      Delete
  16. Me causan cierto respeto y lo mejor es observarlos bien protegido.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I share your interest in sharks and most other sea dwellers. I think they get a bad rap!
    Liking your Pedia reviews....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was always a big fan of Jacques-Yves Cousteau, and watched his series weekly. Thank you for reviewing this one on sharks. I have always thought that they have been maligned enough. Like all things on earth we need to educate ourselves and understand more about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know he had a weekly show. That’s a feature I would have watched.

      Delete
  19. I never saw Jaws the movie, but I think I read the book decades ago. I think the movie guy said he felt bad about his part in making people fearful of sharks. I did read the true story that Jaws was very loosely based on a few years ago--a book called Close to Shore, if I remember correctly. The author included a kind of shark biography and biology information so readers could understand how and why the incidents happened. These pedia books seem like a very fun and interesting collection--but definitely not cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shari: The author was Peter Benchley and he felt so aggrieved at the consequences of his book he devoted the rest of his life to marine conservation.

      Delete
  20. This is such a weird animal. It´s a pity I have never seen one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sharks are fascinating, David! They are here in our Pacific Ocean and every year we get the same old stories of surfers being attacked by sharks and not seldom these are Great White Sharks who have a terrible reputation. The ocean here is too cold (not cool) to go in for a swim, but possible sharks in the water couldn't keep me from snorkeling in Hawai'i - otherwise I would have missed the fantastic life below the surface of the water. Several years ago a rather young Great White Shark was found injured and brought to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (a favorite place of mine, I have to add) where we could watch it swimming in the huge tank together with the tuna and sunfish etc. Should I say it was "way cool"? Actually it was fascinating, breath taking, moving, unforgettable. I will never forget seeing my then rather small daughter watching the shark with huge eyes and a big fat smile on her face.
    I agree with you, the words "cool" and "way cool" don't really fit a scientist except he is talking about the temperature of the water. For lack of a different word that I can think of (the curse of the non-native speaker) I sometimes use it while cringing inwards. My bigger issue with lingusitics, though, is the most unfitting and frequent use of the word "like". Goodness. Not so cool, but warm hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your command of written English far exceeds many for whom it was taught in school, and their native language, at that.

      Delete
  22. Looks like you found another good read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the kind words and generous review of my new book, Sharkpedia, Mr. Gascoigne, especially pointing out an affectation of which I was unaware, my idiosyncratic overuse of "cool". I wish you had reviewed the manuscript before it was published!
    I am a longtime a fan of words and their effective use. Have you read David Orr’s essay Verbicide? Highly recommended, and ironic in light of my transgression.
    And point taken about the River Thames.
    Once again, my gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, entirely. I look forward to more of your publications in the future.

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers