Friday, May 17, 2024

Book Review - Lichenpedia: A Brief Compendium - Princeton University Press

 


     I am unabashed and devoted fan of the "pedia" series of books presented by PUP, so it was with delight that I recently received two new titles for review. Here is my first undertaking.
     The book follows the usual format with entries from A to Z, in this instance from Acharius to Zoochory. Join me if you were unfamiliar with either of these terms! But that's the purpose of the book, isn't it? To educate, to enlighten and to entertain.
     Kay Hurley displays a formidable knowledge of the subject, yet writes in so humorous a manner, with wit, nuance and subtlety, that I am convinced that if all else fails her she has a career waiting as a stand up comedian! There were times when I burst into laughter, and rarely did a smile leave my face. If serious science can be presented while simultaneously having a light touch that's a winning combination.
     In addition to Hurley's scintillating prose, the book is superbly illustrated by Susan Adele Edwards, a name I had not previously encountered, but I hope to meet again. Her black-and-white sketches, combining artistic merit and technical accuracy do a great deal to enhance the book.


     Lichens have always seemed a difficult taxon to me and one in which my ignorance has been woeful. I knew that they were critical in fixing nitrogen in denuded landscapes and were important in removing atmospheric pollution, but beyond that I knew very little. I did know that lichens are a critical source of food for reindeers, but I was unaware that they form part of the human diet, albeit in a limited fashion.


     I now understand the three major growth forms of lichen - crustose, foliose and fruticose - and so much more. 
     For every curious naturalist worth her binoculars or hand lens, the daily quest to examine and understand the interconnectedness of all living things never ends. Every door that opens leads to ten more and we can't wait to open them. Develop your knowledge of lichens and you will expand your comprehension of so much more.


     As Hurley says, "Lichens are weird. Wonderfully weird." I have no doubt that you will enjoy getting to know them better via this wonderful little book. Enjoy!



Lichenpedia: A Brief Compendium - Princeton University Press
Kay Hurley - Illustrated by Susan Adele Edwards
Hardcover - US$17.95 - ISBN: 9780691239903
192 pages - 4.5 x 6.75 inches (11.25 x 16.875 cm)
47 black-and-white illustrations
Publication date: 28 May, 2024
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

40 comments:

  1. I'm so glad for your book reviews, David. They are always so nice to read. It's a beautiful illustration of the hummingbirds nest.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am simultaneously appalled and delighted about how much I have to learn - on so many topics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...an exciting miniature world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the only word I recognized is lichens. Florida has them everywhere and anywhere and in fact I might have half a dozen different type in our yard. maybe I will check it out. I did no tknow they are a benefit, I do know some are not... writing with humor is my kind of book

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to learn about all the lichen I saw in that one area of Greece. This book sounds interesting, because if you're anything like me, you don't know enough to lichen to say you know anything. I hope you learn a lot, and have a super weekend too David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a taxon I am determined to learn more about.

      Delete
  6. A book written with humor is pleasing to any reader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari Om
    Yet another one for the list...Yxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Otro libro muy interesante. Gracias y besos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got a kick from this witty book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is certainly a very interesting book.
    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi David,
    You do, in my opinion, an excellent job with book reviews. Lichenpedia: A Brief Compendium is no exception. Your descriptions of both Hurley's engaging writing style and Susan Adele Edwards' illustrations paint a vivid picture of the book's charm and educational value. It's clear that the book has enriched your understanding of lichens, turning what once seemed like a complex subject into an accessible and enjoyable exploration. Your review not only highlights the book's strengths but also inspires curiosity and a desire to learn more about the fascinating world of lichens. Thank you for sharing your review!
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. You leave the nicest comments.

      Delete
  12. De nuevo nos presentas un libro interesante, en este caso del increíble mundo de los lìquenes, que son bastante desconocidos para mi. Tus reseñas siempre inspiran interés, amigo David.
    Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, I love lichens and have been a bit frustrated by naturalists who don't know much about them, and have brushed off my interest in favor of what they do know (!), then the experts who know so much I can't get a handhold on the subject. This book sounds like exactly what I need to learn a bit, thank you. Noted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s written in an easily understood style too.

      Delete
  14. OMGosh, David. This sounds amazing. I love that she combines science and humor. What a 'novel' idea;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lichens are very fascinating, I love seeing them. Have a great day, take care, hugs! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It certainly sounds like an interesting and educational book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My body has become a victim of Lichen... I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Not a topic that I enjoy! Have a good weekend David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your body has become a victim of lichen? I think you need to explain that!

      Delete
  18. Se ve un libro ameno y muy instructivo, además.
    Feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like lichens, but I don’t know much about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is almost certainly true for many, Linda.

      Delete
  20. Hi! very late, late nite!
    nice review, your comment about the book is charming with laughter and smiles.
    It`s pleasant to embark on the quest for understanding nature.

    May your weekend be as wonderful as you, dear friend David.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I recognise only few lichens but I find them fascinating, together with mosses.
    The book reviews are a great part of your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kiitos kirja-arvostelusta David. Jäkälät ovat tosiaan mielenkiintoisia.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Weird but essential...
    Have a lovely weekend David !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello David,
    A great review and the book sounds interesting. I am always checking out the lichens on my walk. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a hilarious and informative read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This seems like a fabulous book on a fascinating subject! The mix of humor, art, and information is really appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds so good.
    Thank you for your review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's always good to have humour brings a smile to ones faces, make it interesting for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi David - I'd love to read it ... and I agree the PUP books are enticing. Lichens are fascinating and so useful for our earth and its inhabitants. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  30. Since I'm game for (almost) everything weird, this sounds like a book for me. If the science is combined with humor, even better - that is a good way to learn even harder stuff. And lichen is harder stuff for me, albeit very fascinating. Of course this book was added to my ever growing pile of books. How can I pile on time to read them? Hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers