Friday, May 31, 2024

Book Review - One Step Sideways, Three Steps Forward: One Woman's Path to Becoming a Biologist - Princeton University Press


 

     In 2005 I acquired a copy of Peter Grant's Ecology and Evolution of Darwin's Finches and was deeply moved by the research and its conclusions, and no less impressed with the scholarship. Then, in 2009, I eagerly devoured Jonathan Weiner's Pulitzer Prize-winning account of Grant's work, The Beak of the Finch, and applauded the fact that a wider readership would gain an appreciation of this monumental, long term study. The two volumes are nestled side-by-side on my bookshelf.
     It was a great pleasure in 2023 to come full circle, so to speak, when I had the honour of reviewing Peter Grant's autobiography Enchanted by Daphne, a fine book and one that permitted me to get to know this great scientist a little better. Well, perhaps not quite full circle. Grant's wife, Rosemary, has been a full and equal partner throughout it all, and now she has written her own account of her life with Peter. The circle has closed!
      May I confess to a slight bout of chauvinism when I rejoice in the fact that the Grants have a long association with Canada, and it is evident that they harbour great affection for us.
      If there is such an exalted condition as a perfect marriage, one cannot help but conclude that the Grants have found it. They have been at all times an intellectual foil for each other, great soulmates and dedicated, loving parents. 
      Rosemary has achieved more in life as a scientist than most can ever dream of, and it should be noted that she started out in a time when female scientists were not easily accepted, nor welcomed into the academic fraternity. She was even advised when filling out applications never to use her first name, but only her initials, to avoid automatic rejection. Thank goodness we have moved far beyond that kind of medieval thinking!
     In her book, Rosemary recounts the successes that mark her life, but does not dwell on them in any self-serving fashion. Instead the pages are filled with commitment to humanity writ large, and the fervent hope that one day we can get beyond our never-ending capacity for war, discrimination and hatred of the other. This great scientist is patently also a great humanitarian.
     Immediately upon retirement honours were bestowed upon the Grants from around the world, enabling Rosemary and Peter to indulge their passion for museums, music, art and the finer aspects of life they enjoy in addition to science. In a world where  sports figures can earn salaries we can barely imagine, it was exilherating to see scientists fêted in this way. It was in fact a very fitting continuation of two very distinguished careers.
     I realize that I have enmeshed Rosemary and Peter together, but it is hard to separate the two. They are in some respects like two pockets in the same shirt!
     Permit me if you will to quote Rosemary's own words from the book:

"By far the most important part of my life has been the thrill of sharing ideas and experiences with my husband, Peter, and together raising our two daughters in Canada, Galápagos and the United States. The bouncing of unconstrained spontaneous ideas off each other daily, while respecting our many differences without reservation, not only led to more rigorous scientific research, but was throughout my life an inspiration - whether when exploring nature, in an art gallery, listening to music, sitting with a glass of red wine by a log fire, or having a picnic by the lake. Going through life , in all its complexities, with such a companion, I treasure above all else." 

     I have to remind myself that I have just reviewed the life of one the world's premier evolutionary biologists.
      Somehow she seems like a friend to all of us.



One Step Sideways, Three Steps Forward: One Woman's Path to Becoming a Biologist - Princeton University Press
B. Rosemary Grant
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691260594
328 pages - 5.5 x 8.5 inches (13.75 x 21.25 cm) 
21 black-and-white illustrations
Publication date: 04 June, 2024

   
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

41 comments:

  1. It does indeed sound like a wonderful partnership. They have enriched each others lives and also the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An inspiring couple! Good that they found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with all the books you review on your blog, David. This book sounds very interesting. I can imagine how many books you have on your bookshelf.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound like a great partnership. And speaking as an exhibiting artist with experience of acceptance into juried shows at a much higher level when my first full name isn't shown, I certainly wish we'd moved beyond that prejudice. We haven't. Please reconsider that statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no familiarity with the art world, but in the field of academia there seems to be gender equality (at minimum) with many female deans, heads of departments, and numerous universities have female presidents too.

      Delete
  6. How inspiring to have a soul mate in marriage. It rarely happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how it could get any better that Peter and Rosemary Grant.

      Delete
  7. Women are, of course, abe to use their brains as well as men. Rosemary did everything right, and it must be great to be able to share everything with your partner. Thanks for sharing, hugs, xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In countries, religions or societies where women are oppressed so much wisdom and a contribution to a well-functioning society is lost. "Progress" is a term much bandied about. Real progress is the emancipation of women everywhere.

      Delete
  8. Another great book David! I am going to put this one on my list also. Thank you for the information on my blog post where I mentioned the Black-capped chickadee and that I might be looking at the Carolina chickadee instead. Much appreciate the heads up! I will be paying particular attention to this little visitor from now on, and do appreciate your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt, Denise, that you will enjoy it immensely. It is a highly readable account of an outstanding scientist.

      Delete
  9. This sounds wonderful, David. They do seem to have found the secret to fulfillment and happiness both in their work and their marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Certainly sounds another great book.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds fascinating. Science was such a masculine realm, for the most part, and women really were looked up on as exalted secretaries. I am glad things have finally caught up with the world, and that it "might" be easier for women now. I think it is, but I haven't worked in a lab since my 20's. Hurrah to those women who "made" it in science. By the way I'm adding this to my recommendation list. I bet it's really interesting. Have a great start to June David. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely review. Back when I was an accountant and rose to controller of a subsidiary of a division of Maytag, I began my career using my initial to register for seminars and events. After one round I had established my bona fides with all the men I had to work with, and could drop the ruse. Shame I had to begin that way, back in the sixties and seventies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this personal note, Joanne.

      Delete
  13. Hola amigo!
    como estas!
    It´s a wonderful tour of the lives and achievements of Peter and Rosemary Grant. It is inspiring to see how two people can achieve so much, not only in their professional field, but also in their personal lives, supporting each other.
    I couldn't help but feel a healthy admiration and even a little healthy envy reading about their lifes journey together, sorry jaja
    Have a great new month ahead!
    bye, bye!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And yet another title for my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ya me gustaría tenerlo, pero está traducido al español ?. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that it will be translated into Spanish, Teresa, but I will try to find out.

      Delete
  16. Definitely sounds like another great book.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reads a good book to read David.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another great book and review David! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you happen to read it, I’d be keen to hear your verdict. Maybe you can get your local library to add it to their shelves.

      Delete
  19. I loved “Beak of the Finch” — we could see their island from the ship when we were touring in the Galapagos. We did see a few birds when we were there. Sounds like a fascinating book.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A devout reader like you would doubtless enjoy it, Mae. And while you’re at it go back and read Peter’s biography too!

      Delete
  20. This sounds like a book I would really love. I so enjoy biographies and memoirs and the life of the Grants sounds especially interesting. It's wonderful to see a couple whose interests are so well meshed and so highly recognized. Thanks for the introduction to this one, David. I think I'll try to seek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, dear David, we - that is, humanity - need a lot more joy in life, a lot more positive role models. This can be on a very small scale or on a large scale worldwide. Like Rosemary and Peter Grants, for example.
    Find joy for yourself, then you can give it to others too.
    “One step sideways, three steps forward” tells us a lot.
    Hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read the biographies of both Peter and Rosemary, and at the end of it all, I feel that I know them, and cherish them! That surely says a great deal.

      Delete
  22. David!
    Another great review and a very interesting book.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A person who appreciates the companion.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This woman looks like a twin to one of good friends mothers in my growing up years. I had to really stare at the picture and re-read your post to be certain it wasn't her. Amazing. When you find you sole mate!
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like an excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another inspiring book I feel tempted to read (could you please stop adding more books to my already very large pile, David?). I'm sure I would enjoy this one very much. To find a partner and share the life with him/her who is truly your soul mate is exceptional - I wonder how often that happens. Their life must be so fulfilling. Thank you for introducing another highly interesting book. Hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi David - I can see I need to become a devout reader as you mention to Mae ... not the subject as I am ... but these sound fascinating books by these two highly eminent scientists ... we are enriched from their studies and their life together. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers