Saturday, August 05, 2023

Book Review - Beetles of the World: A Natural History - Princeton University Press

 



     One look at the front cover and you know that this book is going to draw you in!
     There is something quite comforting in seeing another volume in the now familiar series by Princeton University Press (e.g. Spiders of the World, Bees of the World etc.) in a format that has become as familiar as an old and much-loved friend. The books are always clear, precise, easy to read, well illustrated and in every way an exciting companion to the exploration of a taxon.
     Two authors with impeccable credentials have pooled their considerable talents to produce an illuminating work, destined to become a "go-to" reference for amateurs and professionals alike. 
     The book begins with a brief introduction, where it seemed significant to me, that attention was drawn to the fact that Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace, those legendary co-discovers of Evolution were both avid beetle collectors. Is there a connection here?
     There follows a complete examination of the Coleoptera, beginning with the simple question, "What are Beetles?" Throughout the pages of this book you will learn every facet of the anatomy, lifestyle and function of beetles; their origins in antiquity as revealed in the fossil record, and their key functions in the modern environment.  Beetles do not exist for the improvement of the human condition, yet without them our lives would be changed in ways that are hard to imagine, and frightening to contemplate.
     Beetles have for millennia captured the attention of humans in various ways - in mythology, as subjects for art and adornment, as agricultural pests, aggressors in the destruction of forests, important pollinators, sanitation crews, reservoirs of medical agency - and they continue to occupy a prominent place in popular culture.
     The four suborders of the Coleoptera - Archostemata, Myxophaga, Adephaga, and Polyphaga are presented with representative species from each family and subfamily.  Typical coverage includes a concise yet comprehensive description, a range map, several images and information on the number of known species, distribution, habitat, size, diet and "notes." These accounts are very well done, to say nothing of being visually appealing. 



     An excellent glossary is followed by a list of further resources.
     My summary: A first rate book that deserves a place on the shelves of every naturalist. But don't just leave it there; take it down and use it often. I know I will.


Beetles of the World: A Natural History - Princeton University Press
Maxwell V.L. Barclay and Patrice Bouchard
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691240732
240 pages - 150+ coloured illustrations
6.75 x 9.5 inches (16.875 x 23.75 cm) 
Publication date: 15 August, 2023
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

42 comments:

  1. ...they have bugged me for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a good book with lots of illustrations.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know David I'm a big fan of Darwin, but I don't like beetles. They scare me. I'm sure it's an intresting book away.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beetles - an endlessly fascinating order of creatures. I think I may need this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, your reviews are always great, but I must admit beetles and spiders are not my faves. I don't hurt them, but I don't need to be near them! Some do have very pretty colours, though! Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    My TBR list is just getting ridiculous... but I guess it is also without limit...! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recuerdo haberlos visto, de niña, pero ya hace tiempo que no los veo. Será por qué no frecuento salidas por el campo.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need this book, David. Coincidentally, the last two items I photographed during our New Forest visit were both rather special beetles.

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen a few different beetles here so I could use this book to help identify them. Thanks for the review, David.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    Great review! There are so many insects, it is good to have a book just on Beetles.
    Take care enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beetles are often incredibly beautiful. And yes another necessity to life as we know it. Another book to tempt me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beetles are really interesting and often have fascinating coloring and designs. Except the Japanese beetles eating my grape leaves. Grrr. Happy rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japanese Beetles are a huge problem, Erika - just one more alien exotic flooding North America.

      Delete
  13. I am not a fan of bugs...once we had thousands of ladybugs hiding under one of my huge planters...and I freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don’t need to be a fan, Angie, just recognize that without beetles there would be a fundamental change to the environment, and not for the good.

      Delete
  14. Interesting are beetles, however our Tasmanian Christmas beetle can be a pest to the young eucalypt plantations and adults can devour the leaves on a tree in a few minutes, apart from that the book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rated against the way that humans have decimated beetle populations and waged chemical warfare on them, it still seems like a very uneven battle.

      Delete
  15. Beetles are fascinating but the bigass ones give me the creeps!
    Have a great week ahead, David.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't seem to get into the beetles but the cover is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to be "into" beetles to recognize their role (vital role) in the ecosystem.

      Delete
  17. I have to admit, of all insects I think beetles make my skin crawl the most. I have no idea why, but there it is. Your reviews are so intriguing though, and each one makes me want to buy the books! I think I will recommend this one to our local library. It sounds like an accessible, attractive reference book (says the old librarian).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the colorful cover and could certainly learn a lot from this book! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cockroaches on the cover have colors that highlight them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have sown many seeds in the garden for winged animals of all kinds and put up an insect house, last year we had bumblebees. And this year we have house field wasps, which are harmless and shy, they are a very useful species as insect hunters. And this is probably also true for many beetles and other insects... at least you should take a closer look at it! By the way, aren't they beautiful, the bugs on the book cover.
    Thank you David.
    Many warm greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice review as always..I always feel as though I have read the book..I'm really not a fan of beetles but some of them are very pretty..Have a wonderful week..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love beetles.... those that have shiny metallic colors always fascinate me! ..Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fascinating world of beetles

    ReplyDelete
  24. On the cover of the book, the beetles look attractive. But in fact among them I know a few that are pests in the garden. for example, the stink beetle Halyomorpha halys Stal or the lily beetle Lilioceris lilii. And I like the dung beetle Geotrupes stercorarius - it's black and shiny. I specifically found the scientific names of beetles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their function is not to please humans, Nadezda!

      Delete
  25. Definitely a good book. I have one that is mainly Finnish insects.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the review. It's important to learn always more about the fascinating world of the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear friend,
    good night!
    who could think that beetles are so important, we go through life so busy with a thousand things... how much nature surprises me!
    Thank you for the suggestions of this great collection of books.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Que buen libro parece ser! Trataré de conseguirlo. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  29. Muy bueno esté libro. La mayoría de escarabajos de la portada los he visto por aquí. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi David - publishing today I see ... what another excellent review ... and your encouragement to us all to learn more and help more keep this world together for future generations ... Thanks Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers