Monday, December 26, 2022

Birds in Winter

      Winter has shown the worst of itself over the past week, so there is not much to report from any one location.This post is a collection of unrelated sightings from a couple of outings, and activities in the backyard where the feeders are well stocked, no matter how deep the drifts or how fierce the wind.

20 December, 2022
Hillside Park, Waterloo, ON

     We enjoyed a pleasant walk with Judy, but photographic opportunities were not great, due at least in part to the wind adding considerably to the frigid conditions and Miriam was reluctant to expose her fingers.
     A Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) is a tiny little bird, weighing from 4 - 7.8 grams, (barely more than a quarter of an ounce at best), yet it survives our winters here - a remarkable feat. For a comprehensive account of its survival strategies see Bernd Heinrich's excellent book Winter World.
     Our only decent shot is a dorsal view unfortunately, but it does show you the crown from which the bird gets its name.


     These birds are not easy to photograph under any conditions; they are constantly in motion and usually partly hidden behind leaves.
     American Crow (Corvus brachyrynchos) has little difficulty dealing with winter conditions and exploits every opportunity for food and shelter.


     They come into the city at night to exploit its island heat effect and it is a great spectacle to see them streaming in by the hundreds. By the time they have all settled in for the night it is estimated that around 10,000 birds are nestled in the trees.

21 December, 2002
A Drive Through the Hinterland

     We set off to see whether we could find our first Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) of the winter, but failed to do so. In fact, we saw few signs of life at all in the cold and snowy landscape that is southern Ontario.


     A Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) was conveniently perched on a building not far from the road, and showed no intention of moving.


     It had perhaps recently eaten and was was digesting its meal.
     The wildlife may have been absent but the sparkling magic of the winter landscape was there to bring us joy.


23 December, 2022
At Home, Waterloo, ON

     The wind was fierce and we stayed inside where we were snug and warm. There was no such luxury for a Hairy Woodpecker (Leuconotopicus villosus), buffeted by the winds, but feeding determinedly on the suet feeder, at times swinging to and fro but tenaciously holding on.


     Who cannot but admire the perseverance and fortitude of birds in winter? 
     Again, let me give a shout out to Bernd Heinrich - "Heinrich is a scientist and naturalist of the first rank, champion ultramarathoner, woodsman of skills, seldom seen in modern times...and a nature writer of uncommon talent," (E.O. Wilson).If you have not read Ravens in Winter you owe it to yourself to do so. 

24 November, 2022
At Home, Waterloo, ON

     In a behaviour for which I have no ready explanation, a White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) - and possibly two - has been showing an inordinate amount of attention to one of the nest boxes in the backyard. It enters at will, sometimes stays in for a while, exits, and frequently re-enters. We obviously don't watch it all day long, but even based on our observations, there seems to be no discernible pattern to the activity. 


     Perhaps the bird is simply seeking shelter from the wind. This nest box, by the way, was used by Black-capped Chickadees (Poecile atricapillus) during the last breeding season, and they successfully fledged four young from it.



     You will forgive that our pictures are not as clear as we might like, but they are taken through a window often coated with patches of snow.
     Here is an extreme case.


     And here is what it looks like when the visibility is a little better.


     More normal behaviour for a nuthatch is to stash seeds for later retrieval, a hedge against hard times when food is concealed beneath snow and ice.


     Perhaps it says, "Thank goodness for bird feeders and kind humans."


     I suspect it does!
     Every day a dozen or more Dark-eyed Juncos (Junco hyemalis) spend much of their time in our backyard. They are generally the first birds to arrive as the darkness yields to the first glimmer of daybreak.
     I strew cracked corn for the Mourning Doves (Zenaida macroura) but the juncos seem to relish this too.


     Numerically, American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) is  the most abundant species.


     Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) is also a daily guest; today when topping up the feeders three individuals were present.


     You too can enjoy birds in your backyard, and by simple observation learn a great deal about their lifestyle and adaptations to survival in a Canadian winter.
     Other species visit too, but we were unsuccessful in getting pictures. Perhaps we'll have those for next time.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

64 comments:

  1. Stay warm, stay safe and thank you for offering food to those who don't have the option of hunkering down in the warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated this, “A Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) is a tiny little bird, weighing from 4 - 7.8 grams, (barely more than a quarter of an ounce at best), yet it survives our winters here - a remarkable feat.” That sent me over to Google where I discovered the average Ruby-Throated Hummingbird weighs about 3 grams. I just don’t see how these birds exist in cold climates. As far as I’m concerned it is truly a miracle of nature. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Despite the poor conditions, you still got many delightful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds that survive the winter are equipped with physiological characteristics and behaviour modification appropriate to the climate. More species are spending the winter with us (e.g. American Robin and Belted Kingfisher) and they quickly adapt to their new conditions.

      Delete
  3. I am also amazed at the perseverance and fortitude of birds in winter! I can't imagine that many crows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muy bien que puedan comer los pájaros en tu jardín, seguro que están felices. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...they handle the cold a lot better than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are fascinated by the neighbourhood crows. They are not quite as afraid of me now and will stay on the railing when I go outside. One of them turns around as if I can’t see the bird when he can’t see me. Reminds me of a young child. There is always something new see and watch with birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try taking food for them, Marie, and they will adopt you as a "friend."

      Delete
  7. Hari OM
    I have read of your mighty snowstorm... and I am always stunned at how birds survive such. Always glad to see them in the dark days of winter, lifting spirits! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing how these tiny creatures survive such harsh winters. I love to watch the birds in my backyard now that the feeders are out again. There is also quite some four-legged wildlife passing through our garden which I like as well. My most precious bird right now is the Townsend's warbler that comes back to visit every winter.
    Your image of the snowy landscape is very beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Townsend's Warbler in your backyard is very special, Carola.

      Delete
  9. I would imagine that to be a convenient shelter in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was excited to see the red bellied woodpecker back today. I wonder why they disappear for a while. Any ideas? You have a nice variety of birds. And I bet they are enjoying all the feed put out. Happy New Year David. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have an answer, Erika. It happens here too. A Red-bellied Woodpecker will show up several times a day for a couple of days and then disappear for a week.

      Delete
  11. Hi David! You managed to get lots of birds in spite of the very winterly conditions. I'm glad you are feeding them in your garden. My balcony is well visited just now, it offers food and shelter in this cold weather. Have a good week, take care! Big hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's baffling enough how small birds survive in our British winters, let alone the conditions they experience in places like Canada. I had a similar conversation on a freezing day a few winters ago with a man who had been trying to photograph a Goldcrest. "The little beggars don't stay still long enough to get cold!" was his explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be some truth in what he says, John. Movement generates heat.

      Delete
  13. I really have a lot of admiration for the birds, they are so small and often survive a harsh winter, that also applies to migratory birds, which fly distances that are unimaginable.
    I think the nuthatch is really well photographed.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. The American crows has a very beautiful black color. Here the crows are grey. I have seen you have got a lot of snow in the past days. I hope you are not exhausted from shoveling snow, David.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures !
    Hopefully most of the birds are prepared for the winter. Bird feeders are always useful ;)
    Stay cozy !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello David,
    Beautiful photos, I love the cute Kinglet. I sure your yard birds appreciate the feeders being filled. It has been bitter cold and windy, the birds seem to stay hunkered down. Take care, have a great day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is peculiar, although I have heard the birds check out nesting boxes prior to the right time. But you would know.
    I was quite excited spotting 3 male and 1 female on our Christmas bird count day. I thought you'd laugh, as this week we've 4 males, 1 female.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I miss my bird feeders back home in NJ (my son is keeping them filled over the winter). There's nothing like seeing the birds going about their daily business, up close and personal, outside my window. Here in Florida, we are in a condo, where feeders are not permitted on terraces. But wide open views provide sightings of pelicans, egrets,cormorants, gulls......and tons of turkey vultures swirling high in the sky every day before dusk. However, one of the residents set up several feeders along a walking path, and here I see mostly cardinals, blue jays, doves. And then, there are the visits to the bird sanctuaries nearby which are spectacular. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure where you are in Florida, but twenty years ago when I was last there Wakotahatchee (spelling ?) was a great spot for birding and exercise.

      Delete
  19. The little birds are very tough when it comes to winter, they are survivos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those that routinely spend the winter here have physiological adaptations to cope, Bill, but fierce winter storms with high winds and deep snow can challenge even them.

      Delete
  20. My feeders have been very busy with birds these last few days since our weather got quite cold (for us) but it seems to me that I'm not seeing the great variety of birds at the feeders that I had in the past. I wonder if they are just stopping farther north as the winters gets warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My sincere apologies for the late visit, but I lost my internet on Friday when a storm hit my area and before I could check out your fabulous birds of the week. Your snow is not as deep as mine. I also want to wish you a belated Happy Holidays.


    ReplyDelete
  22. I add my thanks to that of the little nuthatch, for all the kind humans who think of wild life struggling to survive through such awful weather conditions.
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. How much snow do you have? I'm amazed by the creatures that manage to survive cold winters and snow. Hawks are beautiful.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning photos, but all my photos in that temperature would be from behind the window and through the glass. I am looking forward to missing the last of winter herewhile in RSA!!! Keep warm and all the very best to you both for 2023. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long will you be there and where are you staying?

      Delete
  25. Just this week I've noticed two new species, both Warblers. I know that one is the Yellow-rumped (aka 'butter butt'), and I suspect that the other is a Pine Warbler, but I haven't been able to get a decent photo yet. I know where there's a large stand of myrtle bushes, and I'm going to check to see if they managed to set berries this year. If they did, I know where to find some of the Warblers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. As always, your photos are wonderful. Thanks for your visits to Buttercupland and every good wish for the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Golden-Crowned Kinglet is a bird I have seen only once here. It's a wonder of nature that the little creatures survive so well in the harsh winter conditions. We experienced much colder than normal temperatures last week, and people were thawing hummingbird feeders and doing everything possible to keep the hummingbirds alive.
    We have seen a Varied Thrush in our garden for the past two days, another relatively rare sighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Varied Thrush is a bird I always look forward to when I visit Vancouver Island.

      Delete
  28. Look at all that snow. Presently, there is snow atop the volcanoes on Hawaii Big Island.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This nuthatch is so cute, David. Happy new year, with you new travels to show us the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Another wonderful post. Wishing you both the very best for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Burrrrrrrrrr, big time Burrrrrrrrr! It has been single digits here for about 10 days and today we've almost warmed to freezing. See me rolling my eyes. Hope you've managed to stay warm and healthy and had a wonderful Christmas. Wonderful pictures as always. Poor birds in this weather.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  32. Con la nieve, tendrán problemas, para buscarse los alimentos.

    ReplyDelete
  33. We have been seeing pictures about the huge snow storms on our UK news bulletins.
    Stay warm and safe.

    Our garden birds seem to like the 'fat balls' as well as seeds etc. and I'm sure your garden birds are very appreciative of your feeders.

    Taking the opportunity to wish you a happy and healthy New Year.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  34. These images are just darling! I love seeing birds in the winter. I am always amazed at their ability to handle the season. Wishing you a healthy and happy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The birds have to go through the cold of winter. The snow is beautiful, but not for them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful winther birds!You have captured them well in the snow!Very special that American crow!to me it looks like a raven!Wish you happy New Year David

    ReplyDelete
  37. It must be said that the winter is poignant at the moment, even deadly. I think of all these animals that must die of hunger or cold in places, I am so sad. The windows of your house are sometimes real walls of snow.
    It is certain that the gardens are a haven of peace and a beautiful source of food. All the birds are lovely David.
    Happy end of year and happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  38. We love our backyard birds, too, and quite a few have returned with the terrible cold and wind we had for several days at Christmas. My favorite visitor has been a little brown-headed nuthatch who has joined his blue-gray relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen a Brown-headed Nuthatch once - years ago in Florida.

      Delete
  39. Lovely post..have a great new year david

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi David,
    We heard in the news that the USA and Canada are suffering from a severe cold winter. With us in the West of Europe it doesn't really look like winter, it feels more like autumn.
    But all animals have to cope with the conditions or they have to leave for areas being less demanding. It is undoubtedly interesting to see how they deal with the winter in Canada.
    I wish you a pleasant changing of the year.
    Greetings, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you for this spectacular photo show.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi David,
    I enjoyed your beautiful observations and nice photos. Cold winter in Ontario!! In my street are about 100 jackdaws at night.So much birds as in your place must be spectacular ! Here some Great Tits and also Blue Tits are quarrel over one nesting box...
    Happy New Year for you both!!!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lovely winter photos, I often wonder how the animals survive.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I too sometimes wonder how birds manage to survive such extreme weather conditions, David, but even when they have extremely difficult years, they mostly bounce back. However, I suspect that most, except those that are dependent on more polar weather conditions, may be able to adapt to climate change through migration, although shortage of food supply might take its toll.

    A most enjoyable post, but it's left me in need of a warming coffee - brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

    I hope that you find your Snowy Owls soon. Very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  45. It looks like you got slammed with snow and far more than we have. Rick gave me a big new bird feeder for Christmas and a huge bag of seed -- about half went into the feeder! The birds are just now getting used to it but LIzzie and Iook forward to many visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  46. David - the dozens of Mountain Chickadees and Nuthatches that frequent this area can empty the birdfeeders in a single afternoon. I admire their energy as they fly to and fro. We also see many Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, as well as Northern Flickers and Canada Jays. Always a joy to see them! Happy New Year to you and Miriam!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Another excellent post, David, which provides a window into your area of the world which changes dramatically during winter compared to sub-tropical Florida. We take our mild winters for granted.

    The times we have lived where there is plentiful snow at this time of year have been memorable. We, too, marvel that creatures such as a small kinglet or nuthatch manage to survive such conditions. Thank you for the two book references. Timely, as I was looking for something new to read.

    The winter photographs are great, in my opinion, because they truly impart a sense of the season. I really love the Golden-crowned Kinglet image since it shows off its bit of bright color. That and the fact that I've only seen one in Florida during migration.

    All the best as we go forth to encounter a brand New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best to you too, Wally. I hope that 2023 is a great one for you.

      Delete
  48. Beautiful winter birds, David. Just looking at the winter photos made me shiver with cold.

    ReplyDelete
  49. A great collection of birds David. Especially love the woodpecker and the Kinglet. Very small and always on the move, so any picture is a good one of these birds. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Late - but enjoyed the winter tour ... and I've noted your Ravens in Winter book - to get from the library ... thanks for being so informative. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers