Friday, August 13, 2021

Book Review - What Insects Do and Why - Princeton University Press

 If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos.
E. O. Wilson



     For the British Readers of my blog, Ross Piper will be a familiar name, as one of the star presenters of nature shows on BBC Television.
     He has written a fine book here, with the novice insect enthusiast in mind, and it serves as a marvelous introduction to exactly what the title implies - what insects do, and why.
      You will be astounded at the diversity of form, lifestyle, breeding strategies, food, and the extent of insect warfare you will find in these pages. From the familiar to the previously unknown, from the ordinary to the bizarre, the world of insects will open your eyes wide!
     As Piper points out, despite incremental increases in knowledge in recent years, the vast majority of species are still unknown, and anyone can help to fill in these blanks - "Watching and studying insects can take you to some amazing places, but equally, discoveries can be made in your own backyard. All you need to do is get out there and look." Based on personal experience I can vouch that this is absolutely true. 
     One of the insects that has fascinated me more than most others, is Leafcutter Ant, and many times I have watched these animals parading along the forest floor in Central and South America, marvelling at the loads these diminutive creatures can tote. Little did I know that a type of worker, known as a minor, often hitches a ride on the leaf to defend against parasitoid flies that pose a threat to the leaf carrier. I knew about the complex fungus gardens below ground, but I had no idea as to their extent, and that Leafcutter Ants dominate entire ecosystems. 
     I was astounded to read that Japanese Honey Bees have evolved a means of dealing with predatory giant Japanese Hornets. The worker ants form a tight ball, sometimes containing up to five hundred bees,  around the invader, and vibrate their wings to generate heat and literally cook the hornet to death.
     The caterpillar of blue butterflies (Phengaris spp.) behaves in strange ways. In addition to consuming flowers of its host plant, it ultimately drops to the ground and is able to fool a foraging red ant (Myrmica  spp.) into thinking it is one of its own grubs. The caterpillar is transported to the ant's nest where the deception continues, with some species receiving more care than the host's own larvae, and others actually consuming the ant brood. 
     All is not what it often seems to be in the insect world! 
    You will learn about parasitoids and parasites, the daily struggle to eat and avoid being eaten, the quid pro quos that exist in the insect world, and much, much more. Fabulous full colour photographs enliven every page. 
     On page 209, almost at the end of the book, the alarm call is raised about declining insect populations due to anthropogenic activity. This is a clarion call for all life on Earth in a time of global climate change, where tipping points are being reached. Piper states, "Human activity is simultaneously depriving insects of habitats, poisoning them, and creating a warmer world that puts beleaguered populations under even more strain."
     Failure to remedy this situation threatens our own survival. Sadly, it may be too late. Insects will thrive long after we have engineered our own demise.

What Insects Do, and Why - Princeton University Press
Author: Ross Piper
$27.95 - ISBN: 9780691217697
Published: 10 August 2021
224 pages - 150 coloured illustrations - 6.5 x 9 inches, (16.25 x 22.5 cm)
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

50 comments:

  1. Absolutely fascinating - and yet another HUGE warning. A warning I hope we listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paying heed to the warning signs does not seem to be part of our repertoire, Sue.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good book, but after being bugged by a mosquito all night I am not feeling very insect friendly this morning, although I know how important they are. Ross Piper's TV programmes are great, they show them here, too. And that's an interesting fact about the Japanese bees 'cooking' hornets. Have a great day, take care, hugs to you both, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can all gather round some of our politicians and cook them!

      Delete
  3. I guess that we humans dissapear soon from this planet if we not behave better than we do today, David.
    Insects is very interesting.
    Nice review. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given our history, Marit, I doubt that we are going to change our ways.

      Delete
  4. Impacta la portada. Me gustan estos libros por lo que descubrimos en ellos. Unos seres diminutos que nos ayudan mucho.Gracias David.
    Os deseo un buen fin de semana. Cuidaros.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the cover photo is amazing. Another great review, thanks for sharing.

    Take care, have a great day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    As one with a keen interest in insects, this book does appeal... though I would beware suggesting Brits know this bloke. Never knew of him till just now. Turns out he did one show for BBC (Myanmar - Wild Burma) and a few for CBBC (that's children's teevee) and several for SKY1. I missed the first, am not inclined to the second and don't pay for extras! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      That lady is in Germany where they are likely to be the SKY ones... His work seems to be for the Smithsonian Channel (per his own website). I stand by my first comment. Of course, there are plenty Brits who do subscribe over and above our extortionate 'TV Licence Fee' (read compulsory viewing tax) and may well be more aware of Dr Piper than I am... Yxx

      Delete
  7. Love the cover it attracts one to the book.
    People do have a lot to answer for with insects and other creatures if not looked after they will be gone in the future..though occasionally I hear a new species has been found of something that has long be thought gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ..."If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos."I will try to remember this thought next spring when the black flies are all over me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even black flies can be less annoying than some people, Tom!

      Delete
  9. Hi David - I've just ordered it ... lots I want to learn about - so thank you.

    Re Ross Piper - I too hadn't heard of him ... but suspect he appears on the Natural History Channel (or equivalent) not so much on mainstream Beeb ... as Yam mentions.

    I'll enjoy this - as if I haven't enough to read already! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt you will enjoy it, Hilary.

      Delete
    2. It's arrived and I'll enjoy it in due course -thanks for the recommendation - enjoy your weekend - Hilary

      Delete
  10. Thanks for your captivating review David. It matches the cover photo! I too marvel at the leaf cutter ants. And have seen them hard at work parading across roads and down sidewalks on busy streets in Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear David,
    probably there is still a lot to know about very tiny creatures. And we have no idea how important they are for all live on earth.
    The examples you mention are fascinating. On internet I also saw some pictures of his book Animal Earth - also fascinating.

    Best regards, Corrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think we do know how important they are, Corrie.

      Delete
  12. It is certainly a very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I probably know more than most about the insects that I live with as my Mother was a nature lover and made a point of explaining who the insects were and what good they did for us. I couldn't agree more that humans are perpetrating their own demise and it makes me sad that most don't even listen to the warnings. I probably won't be here to see what happens, but my children and my children's children will and that is a difficult thought. I would love to have this book and will look into where I can buy it. Thank you for sharing ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I suspect that I'll be ordering this in the not too distant future, David - it sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Querido David ya sabes que me fascinan los insectos y este libro me parece maravilloso. Muchas gracias. Un enorme abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing that such tiny creatures are so complex, and so vital to life on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next to photosynthesis there is nothing more critical.

      Delete
  17. My first thought at the top of the page, "but we are killing everything." Good to know it may only be us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gracias por la reseña, se ve muy interesante.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Un livre qui doit être très intéressant, on doit y apprendre plein de choses. Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had a hard time and admit I merely "overflew" this!
    Any"thing" with more than four limbs creeps me out and yes. I traveled Outback Australia.
    Because I had no idea what awaits me (I was young).
    I even returned - with the biggest blouse in the world to protect me from getting jumped at.
    I do know we need insects, the spiders, my Hubby states, show we have a good climate in the condo. And they eat up flies. (I live with spiders!!! Small ones in the corner, but eeek!)
    I was stung by a bee, but they brought us strawberries. so... To insects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in good company, Iris. I think every house has a few spiders.

      Delete
  21. Hello David,
    Great review, the insects are so important.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I see an alien on the cover - Very good image!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That sounds like a very useful book. I find insects fascinating and they are so important to our survival. I fear humanity is going to regret their war on these creatures sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A good review of what looks like a very useful book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've always had a fascination with insects, never ever repulsed, going all the way back to when I would watch ants (or emmets as we called them from our Newfoundland British influence) as a girl. These details you provide here are fascinating. What a great book and thank you for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello David!
    Great review. The book about insects is very interesting.
    Many people underestimate the importance of insects. In my country this spring, many farmers killed millions of bees by spraying canola fields.
    Have a nice, relaxing weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Both,
    Appears to be a fascinating read .with a full review of contents by yourself. We need insects to exist even if they are not all friendly.
    Best wishes,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds very interesting! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. While it's not my subject it does sound very interesting indeed. And it also brings up some critical issues. You do write wonderful reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Insect wars! This could be a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It is sad how insects and animals are declining and mainly due to mankind!! Interesting book. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think we continue to devise more ways to kill them. Wouldn't you think that by now we would have figured out that we need them?

      Delete
  32. Me encantan los insectos y el libro se ve precioso. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers