Friday, August 27, 2021

Book Review - The Complete Birds of the World - Princeton University Press

 


     I must confess that when I was first notified by Princeton University Press about this book, and saw on the cover "Every species illustrated", I was skeptical as to how such a task could be successfully accomplished in one volume. How could the more than 10,700 species be compressed into a single book without the images looking like scrambled eggs?
     The answer is now before me!
     By judicious use of space, and the creative arrangement of the pictures, each species is indeed illustrated - and illustrated very well. The images are clear, sharp, precise and leave no doubt as to the identification of the bird. Furthermore in species that are sexually dimorphic, both sexes are shown.
     I tested the efficacy of the images grouped together on the pages by examining several families where similar looking species might easily lead to confusion, and was unerringly able to pick out species without difficulty. In a tableau of hummingbirds or woodpeckers, for example, a simple glance was all it took to find familiar species. The quality of the illustrations is that good.
     We should not be surprised, of course, since the principal illustrators (better that we call them artists actually) are the legendary Norman Arlott and Ber van Perlo, maestros who have set the standard for bird illustration in so many field guides. The supporting cast of Jorge R. Rodriguez Mata, Gustavo Carrizo, Aldo A. Chiappe and Luis Huber, have proved their worth in other guides too, especially those dealing with South America and Antarctica.
     There is a great deal of sensory satisfaction to be gained by looking at the pages and taking it all in. The sheer diversity of avian life registers into your consciousness, and you relive the reasons why you were drawn to birds in the first place - for some of us as far back as our earliest memories. The beauty of it all is reinforced and at times the birds seem ready to spring from their perch and fly off the page.
     A brief (necessarily brief in fact) description is provided on the page opposite the illustrations; sufficient, however to describe the bird and its habitat.
Typical is the entry for Australian Swiftlet Aerodromus brevirostris: 11-12cm. Breeds in colonies in caves. Cup-shaped nest comprises plant material glued together with saliva and stuck to cave wall. V. Squeaky, twittering calls. H. Feeds over forests and open habitats, most sea level to 500m D. Queensland. All you need to know in a few words!
     The taxonomy followed is the IOC World Bird List, now being adopted by more and more ornithological authorities around the world, and a list I have used since its inception. 
     This is a bold and imaginative work and one that bears the courage and conviction of its authors. I cannot imagine that anyone with even a passing interest in birds would not benefit from this tome - and if you are a world birder you will want to have it ready on the bedside table so you can take a look before even getting out of bed in the morning!

The Complete Birds of the World: Every Species Illustrated
Norman Arlott, Ber van Perlo, Jorge R. Rodriguez Mata, Gustavo Carrizo, Aldo A, Chiappe, and Luis Huber
Hardcover - US$65.00 - 9780691193922 - 640 pages - 25,000 colour illustrations - 8 1/2 x 11 inches (21.25 x 27.5 cm)
Publication date: 7 September 2021
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

46 comments:

  1. Wow. If asked I would said that was in impossible task. I am very glad to be wrong. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'est un très gros livre qui a du demander beaucoup de travail, peut-être moins détaillé que certains autres du coup. Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. My first thought when I read the title was: Oh no... not ALL birds. Obviously it is. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so amazing to get both sexes in the one book and decently illustrated too. A good book to have in one's collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess you have bought this book already, David ;)
    It sounds like a very good book for you.
    Hugs from Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello David,

    Great review! Sounds like the perfect book for the bird lover! Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic review for an extraordinary book ~ Sounds like the perfect Christmas gift! I wonder how long it took to research and compile all that information?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To faktycznie wspaniała książka dla miłośników ptaków :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need to google the work of the artists who contributed to this book. Those birds on the cover are handsome and if that an d your great review is anything to go by, the rest will be terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey David,
    This book sounds almost too good to be true. A quick figuring out tells me that there are approx. 80 birds on each page! That is of course considering text on every second page. I'm going to see you next Tuesday (weather permitting), so can you bring the book with you. I'd really like to check this masterpiece.
    Franc Gorenc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you wash your hands before you touch my treasure!

      Delete
  11. Hari OM
    I totally understand why you would appreciate it, David. Having looked at it as available on its Big A listing, that is just far too crowded for my eyes. Finally, one I don't feel compelled to add to my wishlist!!! (Doesn't mean other's shouldn't...) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing undertaking. I am suitably impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful presentation, although the analysis began with skepticism.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Por todo lo que nos has comentado y bien detallado amigo mío, debe de ser una maravillosa guía de campo. Por lo visto, han hecho un trabajo muy riguroso y que, como bien dices, difícil de encajar en un solo volumen, pero lo han conseguido con maestría, rigor y acierto.
    Un gran abrazo amigo, compadre y profesor David, os deseo un buen fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. I need to purchase. Thank you for sharing. Have a beautiful day.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great review, it looks most impressive. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here you see flying rats (doves), ravens and some cute small ones, that´s all. I live in the city.
    Somnetimes high up geese (I think) and ducks at river Oker. Well, that´s really all now!
    Reckon bats don´t count? ;-)
    That book sadly would be useless for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have looked at several pages on the internet and it does appear to be an amazing tome for any bird lovers. I think this is one for my youngest son, but hopefully there will be a paperback edition coming along soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It would appear to be a wonderful book, David, but having to be realistic about my potential for travel, and in consideration of the depth of my pocket, regrettably this will not be one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tiene mucho mérito haber podido incluir todas las aves en un sólo libro ¡increíble!
    Mil besos, David.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello David,
    Great review, it does look like the perfect book for the bird lover.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving a comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great book for bird lovers. Amazing task compiling such a book. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Coverage of the huge variety of bird species of the entire world does sound daunting, and it's interesting that you find this book so approachable! It would be especially useful to those intrepid birders who decide to have a global "Big Year" or take up other ambitious birding challenges.

    It's also interesting that the print format has been used: so many reference works are now presented as apps or online web pages. The non-print formats seem much more appealing when one is traveling or in the field.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't resist taking my physical field guides with me, Mae. This is not a book to travel with, though. It weighs slightly less than a pickup truck!

      Delete
  24. I'll definitely put this book on my wish list. I love bird books and have quite a collection now. Guess what I am reading right now? Miss Benson's Beetle? I saw you had recommended it on another blog, in a comment. It's very interesting...quirky! I'm about halfway through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt you will enjoy this book. Enjoy "Miss Benson's Beetle" too.

      Delete
  25. Interesting. I wonder if my local library will get this. Perhaps I'll request it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now that's a book I'd love on my coffee table. I looked it up on Amazon, and saw some of the illustrations - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just imagine all the interesting conversations it will stimulate, Amy!

      Delete
  27. Hi David - gosh that must be an amazing book to be able to dip into or peruse for a time. What a feat of publishing to bring the experts and thus the book together ... our ability to gather information about our natural life is so pleasing to see. Thanks for the review - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really impresses on you the sheer diversity of avian form in all its wonderful variations.

      Delete
  28. I would buy this one!! And, at $65 USA, that sounds reasonable. But, I must add that it's description should be every species KNOWN. 😊

    Linking in this week, and sharing is much appreciated. Thanks, and happy birding!
    ~Anni @ I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds such a good book :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  30. seems impossible to me. How can they even KNOW it is the entire list? I agre with Anni. it should be KNOWN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that if a bird is not yet known, it obviously cannot be illustrated. While no one would categorically deny that there remains the possibility of a species or two to be discovered, or rediscovered having been presumed extinct, i have great confidence that this work is complete, based on museum specimens, ongoing field research and the accumulated current and historical ornithological disciplines.

      Delete
  31. Sounds like a wonderful book! I wish I were a world-birder. But that is not to be. I'm grateful to "real birders" the world over for showing me these wonders on their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness, what a ton of information, photos and data to amass into one book. Courageous are the authors to put it all together. Must have taken much much time and research to put out such a complete book. I do admire these experts who take the time and effort to publish such "encyclopedias" for others to enjoy. Sharing knowledge is the greatest gift.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would love this book but it is not that cheap so it may not arrive in our book case. On the other hand if I put it on the wish list one never knows 😉 Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful book I think. I love the headerphoto, nice bird.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Surely a good book!I dont know cause I have never heard about it..But since it comes from you it is good :))My blog is fooling around again specially the blog roll so I cant see my blog list as I want.Yes ,I have asked for help to Blogger but..it is a time thing before they do anything.So sorry if I do not see your post as usual

    Wish you and friends and wife and Lily a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi David! :) I would think nothing could be complete, but it sounds like this book met the challenge, good review. I think it's neat that you review books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello David,
    What an outstanding book, I am already looking for it on Amazon or anywhere I can find it, thanks for the glowing report, love the header.
    Best Wishes,.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  38. El libro se ve bonito e interesante. Besos.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers