Saturday, December 05, 2015

The Sickest and the Saddest Thing I have Seen in a Long Time

     I am not on Facebook but Miriam is and the following picture was posted on the public stream.



     Every one of these weapons has but one purpose - to kill other humans. To post this at any time is obscene, with young children holding lethal weapons, but especially to use the image as a Christmas card, a time to celebrate peace and goodwill towards your fellow human travellers on this earth, is especially appalling. 
     And this in the immediate aftermath of yet another mass killing in the US.
     It truly boggles the mind; it is beyond understanding. Imagine the good that could have been done for humanity with the money spend on those weapons.
     Three years ago, on Christmas Day 2012 I posted this: http://www.travelswithbirds.blogspot.ca/2012/12/adecision-not-taken-lightly-ifirst.html
      I have not wavered in that decision, nor will I. Surely, sooner or later something has to change in that society which now has more than one mass killing a week, but given the door that has been slammed shut whenever Barak Obama has tried, don't hold your breath waiting.

     
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

13 comments:

  1. It is sickening, the picture should be illegal. Lots of people will die, why, money, that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad sight,should ban all guns,except for Law Enforcement.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That image is one of the most obscene I have seen in a long while, David. How can anyone think that such an image is acceptable, but they obviously go way beyond that, and are proud of it.

    I was amazed to hear, tonight, that even people who are on the USA 'no fly' list are still able to legally walk into a store and buy a gun - unbelievable!!!

    I'm with you. Until there is a major change there I will not be visiting USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you even imagine the amount of tourist dollars that are being lost? I know of several others who no longer cross the border, not even for an afternoon's shopping. It used to be commonplace for people to go over for dinner, at Niagara Falls for example, but this rarely happens any more, given the length of time it takes to cross the border and this fear that another mass murder is about to happen.

      Delete
  4. Unbelievable. I know too little about the laws of the US, but something needs to change.
    I read your 2012/12/ blog and was startled at the sight of the text on this board.
    Gr Jan W

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I agree wholeheartedly! I just don't believe the culture that would tolerate this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello David, What can I say :( These peoples brain can't be bigger than a grean pea. And to think that it is normal to wish people Merry Chrismas this way. One wrong word and they shoot you. And there are lots more of those walking around. No USA for me.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I want for christmas is an assault rifle. And maybe some hand grenades too. And don't forget the ammo. It ain't guns that kills people, it's people who kill people.We need guns in case the redcoats come back. it's in the goddamn constitution.I watch NFL and Fox News.USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a variety of reasons, every so often we must visit the States and the feeling that one is surrounded by armed , not necessarily responsible but nonetheless, armed people is quite unnerving.

    Over this past year we had occasion to be in Boston over the 4th of July and that weekend we saw more weapons in one place than I had ever seen in my entire life prior to that trip. We were attending a business function and were thrown in with people from all over the world, including Americans. Interestingly, those hailing from the states found the show of force comforting as it made them feel safe.

    Its affect on the rest of us, however, was just the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from the mass presence of army and police personnel carrying weapons, the thought that many others have concealed weapons scares the living daylight out of me.

      Delete
  9. I saw this picture via FB and I have to say I was amazed - on a lighter note I saw that somebody had commented that the right to bare arm should mean that you can wear short sleeved shirts!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arghhhh .......... what horrible !!!!
    This would really really never happen!
    Weapons is already a crime and then even with so many of a family all with a weapon on a Christmas card !!
    Truly unimaginable and extremely cruel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Muchas gracias por tu visita. Feliz año nuevo.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers