Monday, 10 March 2014

Waterloo County Ramblings

Waterloo County
9 March 2014

    It is finally starting to look as though spring really will come this year and Miriam and I took a spin along some of our regular routes through Waterloo County. There is still lots to post from my trip to Ethiopia but I thought I would squeeze in a report from our local patch.
    Blue Jays Cyanocitta cristata have been more plentiful of late and certainly more vocal. This bird wasted no time in feeding on a little seed we strewed on top of a post.


    The fields, still snow covered, were alive with Horned Larks Eremophila alpestris as migrants are arriving in large numbers to join the hardy individuals who have wintered here.


    A quintessential sight in this county is a pick up hockey game avidly contested by opposing teams of old order Mennonite men and boys. These fellows were a hardy lot, playing in shirt sleeves. You will notice the strict segregation of men and women in the second photograph with all the women seated together off to the right.




9 comments:

  1. Brilliant birds and, the men playing in snow with their shirts rolled up, brrrrrrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Blue Jay is beautiful. I didn't manage a clear view of a Steller's while we were in California or Washington, but did see several Western Scrub-Jays. The blue is a beautiful shade. Interesting to see the hockey with it's social comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful birds :-) In Poland, fortunately already is spring :-) Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like very much the first one. Thanks for visiting my blog. Wish you a nice evening.
    Erika from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I would love to see this Blue jay!
    I hardly saw them in North Carolina but then I wasn't into photography! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noushka: If ever you make it to Ontario this is one species I could pretty much guarantee!

      Delete
  6. That first picture I find truly amazing!!
    A really big compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely capture of the Blue Jay, David. Thanks for dropping by my blog and correcting my naming of the Canada Geese Branta canadensis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the bird pictures. I had never seen a horned lark before in picture or in the open.
    The people playing hockey probably keeping warm with all the moving.

    ReplyDelete