Monday, September 07, 2026

Book Review - Common Lichens of the Upland Southeast: Appalachia and the Piedmont - Princeton Field Guides

 



     It is probably a broadly accurate statement that lichens are familiar to everyone, but understood by few, and identified by almost no one! This is the book to rectify this serious shortcoming in your life as a naturalist.
     Armed with a device as simple as a hand lens, the text will enable you to identify virtually any lichen you are likely to encounter. The book is devoted to the lichen-rich area of the southeastern regions of the United States, but the principles enunciated in it are broadly applicable to lichens anywhere. 
     Lichens are a symbiosis of two organisms in one. Already this should pique your interest! Lichens are fungi, but uniquely have photosynthesizing cells of algae or cyanobacteria embedded within them. They thrive on almost any surface, even under extreme conditions, from scorching desert to polar barrens, on rocks, trees, soil, the discarded junk of humankind - virtually everywhere. They are the principal source of food for the great herds of caribou eking out an existence in an arctic winter.


     The book has an extensive introductory section, mostly devoid of technical language, enabling a total novice to gain a complete understanding of lichens. The structure of the organism is fully explained and the key ways to clinch identification laid out for you. A few practice sessions with a lichen familiar to your area would boost your confidence in very short order.
     The incredible range of coloured photographs reveals the lichens of the Upland Southeast in all their glorious diversity. For people who reside in these areas, or spend vacation time there, a whole new realm of nature awaits your investigation, and the mysteries of that red growth on a glacial erratic will be revealed. Lichens abound in cities, too, so exciting discoveries and expanded knowledge are available to everyone.


     Like all other life forms on Planet Earth lichens are facing threats to their continued existence, some hitherto unknown. The Anthropocene is ushering in perils not seen before, not the least of which is rising temperatures. We need to allocate the same dedication and resources to preserving lichens as we do to other organisms. 
     In 2024, Princeton University Press published The Lives of Lichens: A Natural History, a constant source of reference for me. With the addition of this present work you will be well equipped to become the lichenologist in your group!
     And you'll have fun doing it!


Common Lichens of the Upland Southeast: Appalachia and the Piedmont - Princeton Field Guides
James Lendemer and Jason P. Hollinger
Paperback - US$35.00 - ISBN 9780691230733
496 pages - 5.875 x 8.25 inches (14.69 x 20.625 cm)
1,000 + colour photographs - 350 maps
Publication date: 29 September, 2026


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

33 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read and something that I would love to learn more. Thank you, David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David - an area I am totally at. a loss with ... I do know about lichens ... and the many varieties always fascinate me. Sadly not one for me now ... but great to know about - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting in my neck of the woods now, David. Have a grand one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found fascinating to learn a little more about these tiny and rather mysterious organisms. Happy new week 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lichens are poorly understood by me, so I could probably use a book like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lichens - and Bryophytes - can be a little intimidating, Kirk, but books like this can make them far more approachable.

      Delete
  6. This is an interesting book, David.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the book review, David. Lichens are fascinating to look at in nature, and there are so many different kinds of them.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Norway they must be everywhere. I bet you see them at the coast when you visit your son’s cottage.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I see a lot of them every time I'm there. They have different colors and are very beautiful.

      Delete
  8. Seems a good book to have and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ja uwielbiam oglądać porosty. Nie muszę daleko iść, bo sporo ich mam na swoich starych drzewach owocowych w ogrodzie. Przydałaby mi się taka książka, bo jak zimą je fotografuje (bi nie ma kwiatów w ogrodzie), to jestem ciekawa, co to jest. Rozróżniam jedynie chrobotka.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a book on Lichens also which is so informative. I also have a couple on mosses which are really difficult in making an ID.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...this is a subject that I know very little about!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi David, beautiful book of the liches. Upland is Californie ? Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very useful book if you're planning to be in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This does sound interesting as lichens is something I know nothing about. A few years back I would have loved to have read this, but time does not exist much in my life at present. Bisous, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fabulous book, one I can get into very much. Thank you, David for always sharing our universe through wonderful books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for the kind and generous comments you always leave, Nicole.

      Delete
  16. Great book and good review. Have a nice day ok

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing this book. It is an area I know very little of. It's on my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like an interesting book w its beautiful photos.. You are right, I know very little about them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We seem to get a lot of lichen(s) on our up north trees. I think they make the trunks look far more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad to learn of this book. Lichens fascinate me so I think this might be another book to add to my library.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jsem ráda za tuto recenzi, protože o lišejnících vím málo. Ale poznám je. Čím víc na sever, tam budou častější, ale jsou také u nás. I ve městě je občas objevím a někdy jsem je fotila. Dokonce na hřbitově na některých náhrobcích je vidím. Předpokládám, že jsou v mnoha druzích, ale to zatím nepoznám.
    Děkuji za rozšíření obzorů a zdravím do Kanady! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for this book review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great book, David!!!

    It is true that very few people know anything about mosses and lichens and therefore do not recognize them as such. I saved quite a few websites back then that featured many different types of moss.
    I didn't know about this book, but it really is a very valuable book. Especially if you enjoy photographing mosses and want to know what kind of moss it is.
    Wonderful review, my friend.

    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kiitos kirjan esittelystä. Jäkälät ovat tosiaan mielenkiintoisia. Tunnen niitä, mutta kokonaisuuden arvioiden liian vähän. Innokkaasti kuitenkin opiskelen ja opin koko ajan uutta. Sammalet ja varsinkin jäkälät ovat oma maailmansa, valokuvaan niitä mielelläni. Minulla on pieni luuppi, jonka avulla yritän tunnistaa niitä vielä lisää.
    Sirpa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello David, Lichens are indeed interesting. For the ones who are interested in it must be a great book to have close by.
    Warm regards,
    Roos
    And lets hope the list of new posts will be working soon as it should. I hopeGoogle/blogger
    is working on the solution.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  26. Me encanta este libro, me parece muy interesante. Besos.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers