23 June, 2026
Goldstream Provincial Park
Whenever we visit Vancouver Island this park is one of our favourite places to visit, set in magnificent coastal rainforest, where moss and lichens drip off the trees.
This stream is close to the parking area and we have seen American Dipper (Cinclus mexicanus) there in the past.
A Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) was foraging among the picnic tables and seemed to be having great success picking off insects.
Several Western Tiger Swallowtails (Papilio rutulus) were observed; they would do well to skirt clear of the thrush.
We are always quite awestruck in the presence of the giant coastal trees. Miriam standing against one of them will illustrate the point.
We see Orange-crowned Warbler (Leiothlypis celata) in central and eastern Canada, but it is far more abundant in the west.
Common Wall Lizard (Podarcis muralis) was introduced to Southern Vancouver Island from its native range of Europe in 1967 and has slowly been spreading since.
While undeniably attractive, its spread should be discouraged. It has now made its way to the very northern tip of the Island, being regularly sighted in the Campbell River area.
This dead tree was hosting a Red-breasted Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus ruber) but it flew off the moment I hit the button on the camera! Any wildlife photographer will offer sympathy for this familiar occurence!
Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum) is one of my favourite woodland flowers so I was delighted to see this familiar species so far from home.
Nipplewort (Lapsana communis) is native to Europe and southwestern Asia, but has become naturalized in many parts of the world.
False Bindweeds (genus Calystegia) is a genus of about 25 species of flowering plants in the bindweed family Convolvulaceae.
Coastal hedge nettle (Stachys chamissonis) is a tall, aromatic perennial herb in the mint family native to the moist coastal regions of western North America. Despite its common name, it does not sting like true nettles.
An American Robin (Turdus migratorius) was there to bid us farewell and to implore us to return soon!
It was lunch time so we decided to drive up to Cowichan Bay where we knew there would be good local fish available.
It was obviously a popular establishment for most of the tables were occupied and they were doing a brisk takeout trade. So brisk in fact we waited an hour for our meals! The quality of the food was excellent, but the wait time was clearly unreasonable.
We did see a Pacific Harbour Seal (Phoca vitulina richardii) swimming close by.
We did not, however see either Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) or Purple Martin (Progne subis), two species we had seen on all previous visits to this location. There were few gulls in the harbour and no cormorants either.
The temperature had reached 31 degrees so we opted to return home rather than continue birding in the oppressive heat.
We took a nap and had a simple dinner, having feasted well at lunch time.
In what was becoming a regular evening ritual the stag Columbian Back-tailed Deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus) paid us a visit.
So many beautiful photos of animals. I would be delighted to see that deer!
ReplyDelete...dead trees become wonderful critter condos!
DeleteThey do indeed, Tom. I wish more people would leave them standing.
DeleteA wonderful park to explore nature. Thanks for sharing, David.
ReplyDeleteWoW David! It is so beautiful there. The foliage is incredible. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYou sure have adventures! We'd love to visit YVR, as my kids are there. Ill health prevents us. So I am happy to see your adv enture.
ReplyDeleteIt’s sad that you are unable to visit your children.
DeleteHari OM
ReplyDeleteI too would be happy to have a daily viewing of that handsome stag. And be equally unhappy at an hour's wait for fish'n'chips! YAM xx
An hour was clearly ridiculous.
DeleteDavid, some wonderful sights here. I would have been unhappy with the one hour wait for the food.
ReplyDeleteThe bottom of that tree trunk is something else! Was the railing there first, and that's why it's like that?
ReplyDeleteIt’s a good question - and I don’t know the answer!
DeleteLovely trip indeed to Vancouver and your keen eye capturing the flora and fauna of the region. Your deer photo reminded me that this year our gorgeous caribou herd is now back to enormous numbers. Deer brainworm had nearly made them extinct in our area. I must download some photos. We were all so excited, seeing their babies was particularly heartening..But they did take over all the roads in the barrens!! But no one minded the traffic jam.
ReplyDeleteXO
WWW
Hi, what{ up! 💐😘🌺🌺those gigantic trees, the green of the forest, and the fauna make this place a natural paradise. Victoria is in all its splendor right now. The deer's visit at sunset seemed like the perfect ending to such a special day. Hugs, my dear and fun-loving friend.🌺🌺🌺💐I hope you both r doing well and staying comfortable in that heat.😘🌺🌺🌺🌺💐😘 Gros bisoussssss 🌺🌺🌺🌺💐😘
ReplyDeleteInteresting pictures of some things that are familiar even here near the Gulf Coast. I'm hoping to see Dark-eyed Juncos here again this winter. Last winter I didn't see a single one in our neighborhood although they've been fairly common here in past years.
ReplyDeleteHi David,
ReplyDeleteThe composition turned out perfectly again. I paused at the picture of the horsetail—I don't know of any plant that grows so fast; in my wildflower meadow, the horsetail has completely taken over :-)
Best regards, Frank
I'm so happy to see my favorite butterfly in your post, David. The Western Tiger Swallowtail is very beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHugs and kisses, Marit
Yes, having such parks in the near, eventually in the center of a city is a great pleasure. Now it's most important during the heat, to find some shadow places.
ReplyDeleteGreetings by Heidrun
Lovely place to walk through David. Gorgeous scene in the first photo, those old trees are wonderful. Nature at it's best there.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great series of photos from your outing, David.
ReplyDeleteWaiting an hour for your food is really no fun.
The photo of the tree Miriam is standing by is absolutely amazing, how insignificant we humans are compared to that tree.
All the best, Irma
Beau reportage !
ReplyDeleteBisous ! À Miriam aussi ;)
Anna
Yet another comprehensive post, packed with interesting commentary and illustrations of flora and fauna around Goldstream Provincial Park on Vancouver Island. I mostly never understand this introduction practice, in this case the Common Wall Lizard. Thank you for the tour David.
ReplyDeleteRegards....Pete.
As I understand it, Pete, the lizards were kept as pets and released when people tired of them. They have found the conditions on Vancouver Island ideal and have spread and prospered. Here in southern Ontario the same conditions prevail with invasive turtles.
DeleteDavid- your amazing photo taking skills capture it all! What a wonderful outing in nature- thanks for taking us along. Those coastal trees are huge!!
ReplyDeleteThere are so many invaders from Europe which have been introduced into North America, I can't believe it! And that massive tree behind Miriam is fantastic, it looks like a wonderful place to explore nature. When reading your post, as I was reaching the end of it, I thought you wouldn't show us another deer, but there you go, isn't it an ecological problem to have so many deer all over the place? How do people control its populations, if they ever do?
ReplyDeleteBest wishes from sunny Spain.
You would think the sheer number of deer would be a problem, Guillermo, but it appears to be no more of an issue than urban raccoons or rabbits. We never saw a road kill or any untoward action between deer and humans while we were there.
DeleteThe giant tree is amazing!
ReplyDeleteThank you David for the wonderful and interesting post. That tree Miriam is standing in front of is huge.
ReplyDeleteHay fotos en esta entrada que parecen Béjar David. El puente metálico y el de madera los vemos por el río Cuerpo de Hombre. Enanita se ve a Miriam al lado de ese magestuoes árbol centenario Así como las florecillas silvestres. Ahora por todos lados vemos la correhuela o campanilla.
ReplyDeleteBuen jueves.
Un abrazo.
Another great set of photos. Well done David, Love the big tree, and wow it really is big. As for the Common Wall Lizard we have them all over the garden here, but I have never seen one with green colouring!!! Our Green Lizards (Lacerta viridis) are very much larger. There is also the Ocellated Lizard (Lacerta lepida) which i even larger. I hope all is well, bisous mon ami, Diane
ReplyDeleteLovely post and photographs.
ReplyDeleteThat giant tree is a giant!
All the best Jan
That tree was mammoth. How come the Junco looked like it had a black head? I thought they were all black?
ReplyDeleteThere are several subspecies of Dark-eyed Junco, Marcia, none of which are totally black.
DeleteThe trees are magnificent and the lichens and mosses most impressive. It's' good to see one of my favourite flowers, Herb Robert, flourishing.
ReplyDeleteDavid!
ReplyDeleteYou've presented an extraordinary place. It's absolutely beautiful there, beyond words. The countless birds and wonderful vegetation are breathtaking. Thank you for this wonderful, unforgettable walk.
Sending greetings from Poland:)
What a wonderful journey, what magnificent scenery... there is so much incredible beauty on our earth, and it is loveliest to see it on a small scale.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to believe that this little Orange-crowned Warbler can wind itself so beautifully around a branch.
I also found those houseboats fascinating; as a child, I watched *Chingachgook, the Great Snake* and was captivated by the idea of a father living on a houseboat with his daughters...
Warm regards to both of you, dear David, and thank you for your wonderful photos and the accompanying explanations—it is always great to learn something new.
We very rarely see this beautiful swallowtail butterfly here; the last time I saw one was in Greece.
Hugs. Viola
I am sorry you didn't get to see your American Dipper but you certainly saw many other wonderful sightings. I am always very happy you share them with us. I enlarge every photo and enjoy them tremendously. Your stag is a magnificent fellow. Thank you David!
ReplyDeleteWe have seen American Dipper many times, Denise, so it was not a huge disappointment. They are present in rapidly flowing streams in the West and not at all in the central and eastern regions of the continent so it's always special to spend a little time with them.
DeleteSuch a beautiful park, the flowers, trees. Would like to sit there by the stream, it looks so serene. That tree is huge, the one where Miriam was standing in front of it. Quite a comparison. I can't remember if I told you this before. My Mothers name was Miriam, her nickname was Mims. Not a common name. Was your wife named after someone? My Mother wasn't, but was curious since it's such an uncommon name. Your pics of all the animals, butterfly etc, all beautiful.
ReplyDeleteSandy's Space
Hi, Sandy:
DeleteMiriam is a lovely name. My wife was not named after anyone, but she comes from a Mennonite background and biblical names were frequently used.
I grew up with a Miriam but we called her Mimi.
DeleteThat tree behind Miriam is massive! Beautiful photos as always!
ReplyDeleteHi David,
ReplyDeleteVancouver Island is attractive for nature lovers. The variety of species you show us this time is especially interesting for flora lovers. You mentioned invasive species from Europe. We have the same problem in The Netherlands. A number of them are causing severe problems because they don't have enemies here. Climate change is not the only cause unfortunately. American crayfish, racoon, Egyptian goose, ring-necked parakeet, grey squirrel and Asian hornet are a few examples.
Greetings, Kees
I’m always struck by how different the American Robin is from the species I’m familiar with. Beautiful photos!
ReplyDeleteevery photo today ticked a box of something I love. Trees, old building, ferns, dead trees and live trees, birds, deer, I did not know there is a rain-forest in BC or itt could be way up north. I always think jungle and tropical. Learned something new today.
ReplyDeleteThese are temperate rainforests, Sandra. They occur from Washington State north to Alaska.
DeleteOtro maravilloso reportaje querido amigo David. Me encanta todo lo que tiene que ver con la naturaleza. Abrazos y a seguir disfrutando.
ReplyDeleteOh David, I can see why you love that park. It's really beautiful and you had some wonderful sightings. I love that you can get great fresh fish in a restaurant -- not frozen, perhaps just caught a mile or less away! That was a long wait, but hopefully the surroundings were good and I know the company was!
ReplyDeleteThis is a place on my bucket list to see someday. I feel cooler just having visited here via your post. Those trees remind me of my own insignificance in the larger scheme of things, but they also make me filled with awe and wonder at being here in the world at all!
ReplyDeleteYour photos and your writing really make me want to go back to Vancouver Island, David. I have only fond memories of it with the exception of a campground in the very north of the island where we were almost eaten alive by mosquitoes and we opted to not pitch our tent but go back to Port Hardy instead and spend the night in a hotel. But even that is a wonderful memory.
ReplyDelete