"Democracy is fragile. It can die in a day."
Steven Lvitsky and Daniel Ziblatt
These are disquieting times. Rightwing populism in its various guises is on the ascendancy throughout the world and, as has been the trend throughout history, particularly in the 20th and 21st centuries, people are easily beguiled by its seductive simplicity, its promise of earthly heaven under the benign guidance of one enlightened leader.
Buyer's remorse comes later!
Poor Richard, that erstwhile enlightened thinker, has emerged to produce this truly excellent book, alerting us to the signs, trends, dangers and consequences of authoritarianism. For those who might not be familiar with Poor Richard, he was a character created by Benjamin Franklin, used to great advantage to reach the popular audience of the day. No less a goal is the raison d'être of this book. In the interests of full disclosure let me state up front that I know the author of this work, a dedicated social democrat and a fierce defender of democracy and a free, pluralistic society.
In North America, we have particular reason to pay close attention to the potential ascendancy of tyranny, for it is present on our doorstep. Fascism has a foothold in the United States and we have no reason for complacency in Canada. All the hallmarks of autocracy are as clear as the words you are reading on this page. Rewriting history to eliminate what doesn't align with your message is always a good start.
There is no shortage of role models for the would-be dictator. History is replete with charismatic figures professing the salvation of their country and its people, morphing into ruthless tyrants bent on their own aggrandizement, and megalomaniacal control of every aspect of life. Think only of Stalin, Hitler, Franco, Mussolini, Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin Dada - add your own names to the list.
The tyrant always has a scapegoat for everything that goes wrong. No blame for anything bad is ever acknowledged and there is never a shortage of groups to be targeted; if none are right at hand, create one.
Of course, Jews and people of colour never go away, and can be blamed for anything and everything ad infinitum.
Institutions that do not tow the line are to be savaged and dismantled if necessary.
A free press, political satirists and comedians are especially reviled and should be dealt with harshly.
Is this all starting to sound familiar?
The means of repression are chilling and numerous. Your neighbours disappear in the night; Argentine wives and mothers are still seeking information on the desaparecidos of the brutal régime that terrorized that country. Barbarism becomes the norm.
Expertise is not required for appointment to the highest levels of government. Slavish, sycophantic loyalty is the only requirement.
Democracy is messy and disorganized by its very nature - but it works. Political opponents are not enemies and compromise is not a dirty word. Honest, open dialogue gets things done, not always quickly or cleanly, but always to the benefit of society and not for personal gain. A free press is recognized as a cornerstone of an open society, to be cherished, supported and vigorously defended, even if you don't like what they print sometimes.
The lure of autocracy never goes away and a gullible public always seems ready to embrace the idea of one charismatic figure able to solve their problems. But it always turns sour and societal gain is erased for years to come.
This book is written with the voter in mind. It is clear, concise and to the point. There is great merit to lengthy tomes, polemics and academic dissertations, but few are going to read them. Here, set out for you, is the blueprint for tyranny, the ways to spot the warning signs, the means to exit before the lights are flashing red and the sirens blaring. In the computer age, with artificial intelligence looming large on our knowledge base, with conspiracy theories at every turn, an authoritative, fact-based work is especially critical.
It is very modestly priced (around $15.00) and I brook no accusation of hyperbole when I contend that every citizen should read this work thoroughly and critically before casting a vote in the next election.
The future is up to you.
Poor Richard
Independently published - ISBN: 979-8268357929
178 pages - 6 x 9 inches (15 x 22.5 cm)
Publishing date: 04 October, 2025
Another good book to read David and also want to wish you Happy Canada Day!
ReplyDeleteHello David, interesting review, very interesting. Without a doubt, it's important to read, stay informed, and practice critical thinking to value and protect democracy.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thursday, dear friend of mine. Gros bisous, smackers & smooches to u!
This sounds like an interesting read!
ReplyDeleteThis seems like a good book to me, David.
ReplyDeleteIn America, Trump is the next in line after Stalin, Hitler, Franco, Mussolini, Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin Dadad, he should be removed from office.
He has made himself and his family so much richer.
All the best, Irma
A book to open one's eyes.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a good book but I wonder how thorough it is in its analysis of systemic issues that inevitably from time to time lead to the far right rising. If it is done with the voter in mind... does the author realise that voters vote those who represents capitalists, not the voters? The voter only decides who is going to be doing favours to the class of people who own the means of production/distribution. The reason far right gets to be in power from time to time is because of its usefulness to the capitalist class. I mean, after crises (which are inherent to capitalism), the capitalist class aligns with the far right parties, and they divert the wide public's attention from the main problem - the existence of the capitalist class, the existence of class society and inequality in general - to the existence of "undesirable" groups within our society, to a kind of a "fantastical enemy" (currently that's trans people, Palestinians, disabled people, immigrants etc.). It's important that there is a book saying "Don't fall for it", but doesn't it individualize it somewhat? Does it defend the ideals of liberal democracy which never ever existed, for the western world pretends to be liberal, yet it has been built on the bones of the enslaved, mass murdered and forcefully assimilated?
ReplyDeleteI think tyranny and fascism are nothing more than the slipping of a mask - the system showing its true colours. That there was no democracy to begin with, and that what gets to parade as democracy most of the time is actually a really ugly genocidal system. Just like the Soviet Union wasn't ever socialism, even though it called itself that, the western world was never a liberal democracy, even though it pretends that's what it is.
Thanks for a wonderful book review, David! Unfortunately, every word you write is very true. Autocracy is so tempting and so simple that people are fooled time and time again. I have many books about the Tsarist era in Russia, and even more about the Third Reich in Germany. Dictatorships are constantly flourishing in our time, and unfortunately, we humans almost never learn from past mistakes when it comes to politics. It is a frightening world we live in, and there is almost nothing that shocks me when it comes to individual state leaders. No one mentioned, no one forgotten.
ReplyDeleteHugs and kisses, Marit
By those days we know where autocrates are...
ReplyDeleteA book like this one (thanks David for your post) should be disclose in schools....Around the world...
Have a shinny day !
Bisous et excellente journée !
Anna
...the writing is on the wall.
ReplyDeleteAnd the scrawl is added to by the day….
DeleteIt's almost too close for comfort for me with that idiot fascist in the White House. And it goes to show how dumb so many people are to think what he says is the truth. Hope it was a good Canada Day. I wore my T shirt that I bought when I was in New Brunswick back for the 150 years celebration ( I think in 2017) even though when e went we didn't know it was a big deal, so thanks for the well wishes. hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteI hope you will post a picture wearing your tee shirt, Erika.
DeleteThe future depends on those who understand the essence of the present, but at the polls people vote emotionally.
ReplyDeleteThree points from me David. 1) I need time to read through your review once again, 2) I also need to read through and dissect the comments from Distortus, 3) Irma's four liner was very direct in naming the man in the US who needs to be removed from high office, to which I should add, and not only because he's made a few bucks for himself and family!
ReplyDeleteRegards from the west....Pete.
The quote at the beginning of your post is interesting, although I'm not sure I would agree. I have more faith in democracy and I think it is a lot stronger than skeptics tend to suppose. Time will tell.
ReplyDeleteAn important book here--I think it's good to spell things out simply as it seems this author does. Whether people believe it will happen in their part of the world is a different story. It seems to be the case that people all over the world say/think the same sorts of things in their denial of reality. I can't tell you how many times people in the US would tell me (a couple decades ago) that the things I was talking/warning about would never happen there because 'we have laws; we have a constitution.' It's a feature throughout history, this insistence that somehow laws and things will be protection enough. It continues to boggle my mind. But it's very difficult to get people to understand that laws and constitutions are cultural constructs and open to interpretation. I think more people in the US get it now because they're living it, but far too many are still clueless about what is going on. I would say, specifically with regard to your statement that no expertise is required, in my experience it goes beyond that. Expertise is greatly frowned upon and must be eliminated. I think too many people across the political spectrum want things that simply aren't possible in the real world. This makes it so much easier for tyrants and their team. Great review of an important book, David!
ReplyDeleteA book that definitely should be read by everyone - and probably only will be read by a few people. At least I think this to be true with my fellow Americans.
ReplyDeleteI think most well-educated people recognize the signs of tyranny, unless they are willing participants. Unfortunately, there are many uneducated who are easily swayed by propaganda. The current situation is alarming, although I know it won’t last in present form. I’m very concerned about what it shows about human nature.
ReplyDeleteNatural selection has favored the greedy and the violent.
Psychopaths, greedy and violent individuals in power has nothing to do with natural selection, Linda. Absolutely nothing. Let's not go into some really horrible social Darwinist territory with this...
DeleteI doubt that Linda is a Darwin scholar, nor does she need to be. I think we all know what she means and we should be content to leave it at that.
DeleteIt distresses me to no end what's going on in my country.
ReplyDeleteIn the rest of the world we share your distress, Kirk.
DeleteSounds like a timely and fascinating book I always ponder how people can be influenced so easily and become like puppets who dance to every tone of the tyran. I love the quote in the book "Truth wasn't just bent....it was twisted into origami"
ReplyDeleteThis is all so horribly familiar. It seems that even when history has not been rewritten to suit the current dictators, the lessons it teaches are ignored or disbelieved. However, it is nothing new and truth will out.
ReplyDeleteIt is going to become ever more difficult to know what is true.
DeleteI've read so many books this past year and half about what's going on now, how history is repeating itself. Sadly, the people we need to convince of this are not the ones reading the books. I am truly concerned.
ReplyDeleteSandy's Space
You have every reason to be concerned, Sandy.
Delete
ReplyDeleteThis review speaks to a subject that concerns me deeply. What makes books like this so important is that they remind us that democracy is not something permanent or guaranteed. It requires participation, vigilance and a willingness to listen to facts, even when they are uncomfortable.
Living in Europe, I sometimes have the feeling that many people believe the lessons of history have been learned once and for all. Yet we are seeing worrying tendencies here as well. Simplified answers to complex problems, growing hostility toward those who think differently, attacks on institutions and expertise, and the increasing spread of misinformation are developments that should concern all of us.
One of the points that resonated most strongly with me is that authoritarian movements often present themselves as solutions. They promise certainty and easy answers, while democracy demands patience, compromise and respect for different opinions. The second path is harder, but history has shown again and again that it is the healthier one.
Thank you for highlighting a book that encourages readers to think critically rather than simply react emotionally. In times like these, informed citizens may be one of the most important safeguards we have.
Warm regards,
Anette
Kiitos kirjaesittelystä David. Liian tuttua tämän päivän maailmassa.
ReplyDeleteMyöhästynyt onnentoivotus Kanada-päivän johdosta 1.7.
I feel like that was an important part of my work as a librarian, including sharing ways to look closely at the sources of information and developing empathy for others by reading stories of others. This sounds like an important book.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the good review, David. A book surely to be added to my never ending list.
ReplyDeleteThis book is needed and the pages I have seen and read are what I believe, maybe not every word. I agree everyone should read it, but am sure the people who agree with the author will read it but the ones who don't agree will not read it. Just like they don't watch Fox news, and do Watch Cnn. and vice versa, we are all that way, we read about what we believe but do not read about what we don't believe. I have always declared I am not democrat or republican, I look at the person running, and find that all of them some things I agree with and some not. It is really hard to vote these days. One thing I do know is the man in the white house is the worst of all presidents we have ever had in my long lifetime.. We are under his tyranny now and it seems it will continue... I did read the comment above and this, part is how I feel about our wonderful country. I am happy I am an America and sad for our country that we are still doing the same things over and over and over.
ReplyDeleteDoes it defend the ideals of liberal democracy which never ever existed, for the western world pretends to be liberal, yet it has been built on the bones of the enslaved, mass murdered and forcefully assimilated? copied from Distorus.
I am in agreement with all comments today, in most ways.
Hello David, thank you for this book review. As far as my views on things that are happening today in the world, politics, media and opinionmakers on television, is that all is up side down and yes the right is also showing ungly signs but for me the left is the new right. So from two fronts things look bad. I let me tell you it frightens the hell out of me!
ReplyDeleteWarm regards,
Roos
The left is the new right? What do you mean by that, Roos? If you mean left-wing parties being infiltrated by neoliberals who are of course all right-wing (Starmer in the UK, Blair over 20 years ago as well...), then I get it. But I certainly don't see anarchists, feminists and real marxists, as well as mutualists and many other strands, the authentic emancipatory left, succumbing to neoliberal market ideas. The goal of the left is still clear - to emancipate, to liberate, to bring about equality and freedom.
DeleteThis is a recreational blog, not a forum for polemical discussion and intellectual dissertation. I do not wish to speak on behalf of Roos, but as a Jewish woman with more than a fair share of tragedy in her family, I think she is alluding to the fact that antisemitism traditionally associated with the right is now equally (and sometimes more vehemently and dangerously) coming from the left. I certainly knew what she meant and I suspect that others did too. Ranting at her achieves nothing.
DeleteHello David,
ReplyDeletethese are most certainly disturbing times!!!
There is unrest all over the world and wars seem to be expanding more and more. I also think it is important to stay informed and to be critical. I think this book is also highly recommended reading. Democracy must remain, after all.
Kind regards, Helma
David!
ReplyDeleteI'm back after two weeks away.
Your review is truly excellent. I'd love to read this book. Unfortunately, it hasn't been published in my country yet. Tyranny and fascism are two forms of authoritarian rule based on violence and terror, but they differ in origin, ideological scope, and goals. Cicero said that "the tyrant arises from among the people." Have a beautiful, sunny summer.
A great write up, not sure if it is my type of book, but I am sure Nigel would appreciate it. Hope all is well there. I am still tyring to catch up with blogs with the fan keeping me cool!! Bisous mon ami, Diane
ReplyDeleteThat sure sums it up, doesn't it? I'm pinning my hopes on the mid-terms.
ReplyDeleteA very important book and your review. The people that should read this or other books won't. I'm sickened to my soul of how my country (US) has fallen so deeply into the depths of hell and ALL of the people who believe it's the correct way to go. Thanks David.
ReplyDeleteThese are disquieting times... agreed!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this book.
All the best Jan
Creo que todo el mundo anda revuelto, por España es así. El libro sería interesante leerlo. Besos.
ReplyDeleteThank you David, You always bring important issues to the forefront. Sounds like an interesting read.
ReplyDeleteInteresting to see it’s written in the Almanac style, a tribute to the original. These days, some of the paragraphs could be good memes.
ReplyDelete