Monday, July 06, 2026

Victoria, BC - Part 1

19 June, 2026 

     We were picked up a little after 05h:00 and left for Pearson International Airport in Mississauga. It was a trouble-free journey all the way and traffic was moderate. We settled in for the long wait for our Porter Airlines nonstop flight to Victoria.
     As seems to happen so often these days, there was a call for volunteers to fly later since the flight was overbooked.  The amount of the travel voucher offered as compensation climbed and volunteers came forward until no more were needed.
     We were a little late taking off, but most of the time was made up and Jan, Miriam's sister, met us at Victoria International Airport. 
     It was good to be back in British Columbia!
     Jan had packed a picnic lunch and drove us to a delightful spot, where a quaint church and a pet cemetery exist, and we ate in a lovely setting under bright sunshine.
     There was a fitting dedication to St. Francis of Assisi, that early champion of animal rights.


     Lawn Daisies (Bellis perennis) were delightful.


     Buttercups (genus Ranunculus) matched our sunny mood.


     It was here that we saw our first Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) of the trip; always a special sighting for us.


     Bees (epifamily Anthophila) were busy in the Brambles (genus Rubus).

     Many of these western forms are unfamiliar to me, so I am unable to identify the species.
     This old bench is no longer used for its original purpose but it seemed perfect to me, clad in its gown of lichens.


     This attractive yellow flower is found in the Oxtongues, Hawkbits and Allies (subtribe Hypochaeridinae).


     After a pleasant half hour or so wandering around the tombstones, we left for Island View Beach Regional Park.


     It's difficult to read on the above picture of the sign (impossible?), but the various peaks visible from the shore are identified. 
     Here is what we saw, with a snowy-capped Mount Baker off in the distance in the State of Washington.


     I always enjoy visiting this location where the beach is delightfully cluttered with the detritus of the ocean, with driftwood and seaweed aplenty, and never a dune buggy or the like.


     A Northwestern Crow (Corvus brachyrynchos caurinus) found a convenient perch.


     If a single flower has universal appeal around the world and across cultures it is probably the Rose (genus Rosa), wild or domesticated, pure or one of the myriad hybrid forms engineered by humans.


     A Western Bumble Bee (Bombus occidentalis) delved deep for nectar.


     I was thrilled to see many American Sand Wasps (Bembix americana) going about their business.


     Yellow Sand Verbena (Abronia latifolia), sometimes known as Coastal Sand Verbena, is a salt-water dependent endangered plant, so it was very satisfying to see it doing well at Island View Beach.


     Several Great Blue Herons (Ardea herodias) worked the shallows, but given the distance and the intense light, were not amenable to good pictures.


     Miriam and Jan resemble each other more with each passing year; in fact all the Bauman sisters do. Even making allowances for my bias, you will agree I am sure that they are a lovely couple.


     Searockets (genus Cakile) dotted the beach.


     In places, stands of Ragweeds (genus Ambrosia) were quite dense.


     Ragweed is the bane of allergy sufferers and, sad to say, a Harvard study found that ragweed grows 10% taller and produces 60% more pollen as the temperature warms.
     Long-horned Bees (genus Mellissodes) were active.


     The above picture clearly shows how they come by the designation "Long-horned."
     Beewolves (genus Philanthus), also known as bee-hunters or bee-killer wasps, are solitary predatory wasps that prey on bees. They pack a powerful sting.


     This individual, on Yarrow (genus Achillea) is probably P. crabroniformis, a species that likes to nest in packed sand, of which there is an abundance at Island View Beach Regional Park. 
     A female House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) found a perch much to her liking.


     Coastal Barley (genus Hordeum) is exceptionally attractive to my eye.


     We left to go into Victoria, to the enchanted enclave of Oak Bay where Jan lives - our home until the end of the month.
     Jan prepared a fine dinner of quiche, green beans and a Greek salad, with a crisp, dry white wine, followed by fresh strawberries we had picked up en route, served with ice cream. It was all delicious.
     We turned in at 21h:00 (midnight for us), happy to be in Victoria again, with the promise of many adventures ahead of us.


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

49 comments:

  1. Nature is obviously reclaiming that park bench. It will be interesting to see what it looks like in 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are always on the move, ain't you? I love that old bench and totally with you that it's just great that way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful series of photos from your trip, David.
    Beautiful nature there.
    The sisters do indeed look very much alike.
    I wish you a wonderful week.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so exciting to see all the wild flowers growing there, David. The Rufous Hummingbird looks amazing. It has a very special color. The roses are so beautiful. They are fantastic no matter where they grow.
    Miriam and Jan looks fantastic too!

    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait till the next report, Marit, when we will visit a rose garden.

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    Oh goody, I was hoping some holiday reports would be coming our way! Great start, and the sisters are as pretty as your picture shares! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent photos as always and interesting to see another part of Canada. Two lovely sisters, something I miss having no direct family left. I wish we had humming birds here. Just wondered if you have mislaid my connection, as I see my last two blogs seem to be missing your name. Still roasting here with temps over 40!!! Bisous mon ami. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diane: I just left a comment on a post of yours, but perhaps I have missed one. Blogger is playing games again and posts don’t arrive in my reading list in sequence. I’ll go back to your site and check. David xo

      Delete
  7. That was a delightful way to begin your holiday. The view across to Mount Baker in Washington is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos and the sister do look alike, bless them.
    The shot of Mount Baker is a good one, the snow capped mountain looks so delicate that far away and such a blue sky too..

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bench sure has character now with the Lichen!
    I had no idea that there was a saltwater Verbena! So many wonderful things to see and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...I've always wanted to go to BC, thanks for taking me along to see the. sights.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had a great start to your journey. And yes, Miriam and Jan are both lovely ladies and they do look like sisters. Jan reminded me a bit of my mother. I think a lot of that has to do with her hair and glasses. I haven't been to Coastal BC at all (just once a drive down in the Eastern part of the Province), so I'm looking forward to more views. Between your and Rosetrose's photos I have definitely moved Vancouver Island up on my to go list. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will fall in love with Vancouver Island. I guarantee it!

      Delete
  12. Confident you are enjoying your visit to Victoria BC with Miriam and Jan. The line I thought was the most pleasing to my ears re Island View Beach was....'and never a dune buggy or the like'....In heaven with nature.

    Kind Regards David, and to the 'lovely couple'....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures David ! The surounding is propitous to take lovely photos !
    Thanks for sharing !
    Bonne semaine !
    Bisous
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  14. David! Beautiful photos of flowers and birds. Miriam and Jan are two very beautiful women and very similar to each other. I wish you a wonderful holiday and many unforgettable experiences. Many greetings :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice day to have a picnic. A great view of Mt Baker. So many pretty flowers and birds. The bees are so interesting. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saint Franciscus was a true friend of animals, my paintingfriend is painting an icon of Franciscus. That hummingbird is so interesting and such a beautiful shade! Seeing bees is always a joyful thing, and there must be plenty of food for them at your place. Wonderful beach and all the birds! All the best to You!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sure had an excellent first day! I hope the rest of the trip was equally fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each day was fabulous, Shari, some exceptionally so.

      Delete
  18. I look forward to reading about your adventures and seeing more wonderful photos. I also like that bench.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Coucou dear David! wonderful start to the trip. It's so joyful to return to such a beloved place and to share it in such good company. The coastal landscapes exude so much peace. I also loved the tribute to Saint Francis of Assisi, is patron of ecology 🍀❤️and you're right, Miriam and Jan make a lovely couple; it's beautiful to see the affection between them.
    Gros bisous🌿🐦🐝💚🤗

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi David,
    The first day of the holiday was good to very good. I hadn't expected you to go to bed as late as "midnight." ;-)
    I'm waiting for the next update.
    Best regards, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely pictures with interesting content. Good to see familiar stuff on the far side of our country, and learn the unfamiliar.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful start to your stay in British Columbia. The beach looks beautifully wild, with all the driftwood and seaweed left to nature, and it is nice to see such variety of flora.It sounds like the perfect beginning to what promises to be another memorable visit.

    I also liked the lichen-covered bench.it tells its own story about the passage of time.

    Looking forward to Part 2!
    Abrazos de tu amigo Guillermo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's wonderful to get out in nature and to see plants and animals you can't quite identify. It looks like you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Prachtige natuur waar jullie zijn David,
    Mooi om het bankje met korstmossen te zien.
    Groetjes Tinie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photos. That wooden bench is great. And nature makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dearest David,
    Your so deep love and respect for Nature lead you to catch in your lovely shots some details I suppose most people would miss, I appreciate the kindness of your soul such a lot!
    Have a wonder-filled day and rest of your week
    XO Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jan really knows how to welcome visitors. A picnic is such a lovely idea. I know you'll have a grand time (or have had already!). With a lovely sister like Jan and beautiful territory as you've shown us, how can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello David!

    I guess you could say we are “virtual” neighbors all the time, being the bloggers we are, but in this post especially, we were virtually neighbors for the last half of June in an very cool way. 😊

    Now, let’s talk about the post: What a wonderful beginning to your British Columbia visit! From the smooth flight to the picnic under bright sunshine, it sounds as though Victoria welcomed you properly. I especially enjoyed the mix of flowers, bees, wasps, shorebirds, driftwood, seaweed, and distant Mount Baker — a perfect naturalist’s first day. Island View Beach sounds like the kind of place where every step offers something new to notice. And what a lovely ending too, with family, good food, fresh strawberries, and the promise of more adventures ahead.

    I trust there will be more “Parts” to the Victoria visit and I’ll be looking forward to them. In the meantime, all the best to you, my Canadian friend! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted to see your first post from Victoria, B.C. Lovely ladies indeed. I joined a club a teacher organized at my school when I was 10 years old. It was called Friends to Saint Francis of Assisi, all about taking care of animals (1960). I look forward to more posts from you.

      Delete
    2. Fostering a love of animals in young people is about as important an activity as I can imagine.

      Delete
  29. Again some wonderfull flowers and birds That attractive yellow flower looks a bit like a dandelian. What a wonderful view on the snowy-capped Mount Baker. The pieces of driftwood are beautiful. We used to collect them and my husband has made a coatrack out of it and garlands with little pieces

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful outing. The sisters are indeed lovely. The meal sounds delish and finishing with fresh strawberries and ice cream....Yum.
    I'm a big fan of St Francis and have him in my garden:)
    Sorry I was late responding....

    ReplyDelete
  31. The snow-capped mountain on the water's edge looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ah, the view of Mount Baker across the water is absolutely breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am looking forward to your posts about this trip! Already you have seen a pretty cool bird, that hummingbird. I am sure the sisters had a great time together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did. Jan is rabid about Scrabble and Miriam played with her daily.

      Delete
  34. I have never seen a humming bird of any kind, this one is gorgeous. I have seen the yellow flowers in all 3 states I lived in. About the sister lookalikes. both are beautiful and I am smiling because if I could put my Grandmother, her 4 sisters, my mother and her sister, and all the Hale females, including myself, which is a total of 16, we all look so much alike there is not doubt we all have the same genes. Only 5 of us are still alive.
    Love the mountain and would like some of that cool air, last night at 7pm it was 101 in our back yard.
    thanks for your kind words on the post today. David about St Francis, I wish he were here to use the internet to spread the word of what simple things are doing to the environment and to the wild life.
    The fireworks on the 4th of July in our neighborhood were so bad this year, not only are my ducks missing since then, but the entire neighborhood there are no birds, bunnies, wildlife of any kind on our morning walks. Even the lizards are missing, squirrels too. I don't know where they went but they are no longer here... Think what all those fireworks are doing to the environment . Florida is now without the old Florida, where we could go and walk like you did in BC...

    ReplyDelete
  35. So nice to see you on the West Coast, David! Miriam and Jan indeed look like the sisters they are. Vancouver Island is a very favorite place of mine and just yesterday I said to my friend that I would love to go back again - it's quite a while since I was there the last time (2013). This year I haven't seen any Rufus Hummingbird, usually they stop here on their way up North. I'm a bit disappointed, but glad to see one in your post. I'm sure you're having a wonderful time! Big hugs - Carola

    ReplyDelete
  36. What beautiful landscapes—they remind me a bit of Patagonia, at least from the photos; I also recognize some plant species that grow there as introduced plants. I completely agree with you about not wanting to see vehicles or annoying crowds on the beach; I always try to go to places where that doesn't happen. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Que viaje tan maravilloso querido amigo, me encantó ver esa naturaleza. Y sí las dos hermanas se parecen mucho y están guapísimas. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely post and photographs.
    That is a great photograph of the two sisters :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hello David :)
    I have fallen behind with visiting my friends and I'm so sorry. Your first day in Victoria BC was filled with a wealth of wild flora and I enjoyed seeing the sights, particularly the view of Mount Baker across the water,, the Rufous Hummingbird, the various species of bees and other birds. Lovely shot of Miriam and Jan, I'm sure I would have guessed they are sisters even if you hadn't mentioned it. They are indeed lovely ladies, and Jan is a perfect hostess. The picnic lunch, and dinner she prepared were
    both thoughtful lovely meals.
    Hugs and kisses
    Sonjia..

    ReplyDelete
  40. It was nice to see Miriam and her sister, Jan, and to read about the hospitality and wonderful sights on your visit to B.C. We have never visited this area bu perhaps one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever you do, Dorothy, you will love it; that I guarantee. We don’t do many of the “normal” touristy things but there is an abundance of activities to keep you busy, informed and entertained.

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers