Thursday, April 04, 2024

Book Review - Shells of the World - Princeton University Press

 


     There is perhaps no more enduring pastime than collecting shells; an activity that transcends age, gender, social status, race, colour, creed and any other division you might wish to attribute to humans. Furthermore, it is timeless, enduring as a diversion from one generation to the next. As I compose this review I gaze upon shells of my own, collected in different corners of the world. 
     I cherish them for their inherent beauty, but it is important to me to know what they represent, what organism lived its life in this exquisite object before me. What is now a trophy in my cabinet, or the bauble dangling from a chain around the neck of a devotee, once lived, ate, preyed and was prey, reproduced and died.
     Here is a book, authored by a renowned expert, wonderfully narrated and replete with sensational illustrations that will fill in the gaps in your knowledge.


     There is an amazing level of diversity in marine mollusks; current estimates are that around 80,000 to 100,000 species are extant, with as many extinct fossil species. Given the fact that mollusks are found from shallow, inshore waters to the oceans' deepest abyssal zones, the estimates are likely conservative. Indeed new species are described with regularity.
     The book is divided into classes - Polyplacophora, Monoplacophora, Bivalvia, Scaphopoda, Gastropoda and Cephalopoda. Within each class, representatives of numerous taxa are elucidated, to thoroughly illustrate the diversity of these organisms.


     In each case a two-page spread, with text, pictures, a range map and comments on Distribution, Diversity, Habitat, Size, Diet and Reproduction, encapsulates the taxon under discussion.
     The photographs are remarkable. The range of beauty revealed on every page is the stuff of wonder.


     A first-rate glossary is provided and suggestions for further reading.


     One cannot fail to be impressed by the scholarship and the presentation in this book. Read, learn, look, wonder, and be impressed!
     You owe yourself no less.


Shells of the World: A Natural History - Princeton University Press
M. G. Harasewych
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691248271
240 pages - 6.75 x 9.5 inches (16.875 x 23.75 cm)
300 colour illustrations
Publication date: 09 April, 2024
 

 

David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

33 comments:

  1. The Shells are so beautiful, David. Great review. The illustrations looks very pretty.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love this book on the shells. Beautiful illustrations and a great review. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful illustration and my mother would have loved this book. she was all about shells, even had a lamp full of them. she was born here where I live now and never saw a shell she did not love

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...shells are Mother Nature's artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a kid, I enjoyed collecting shells too. Polyplacophora, Monoplacophora, Bivalvia, Scaphopoda, Gastropoda and Cephalopoda...gosh. I have problem to even pronounce them...are they latin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greek and Latin both form the basis of scientific names.

      Delete
  6. Interesting but not that often we see the sea. I do though despite that, have pretty good shell selection, maybe I should discover what they really are! Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A project for the winter, Diane. Welcome home by the way!

      Delete
  7. I love shells and have often found some which I couldn't name, This book is surely very useful. Hugs, Valerie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The natural world is packed with awe and wonder isn't it? And rather a lot of beauty too. How I wish that we took better care of it. I fear it will be the death of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful book! Thank you David, I have just ordered this as a gift for my sister-in-law. She loves anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Denise. I am sure she will enjoy it.

      Delete
  10. I collected shells from the beach in Florida when I was a kid on vacation. Loved the tiny pale pastel ones we found. Still have them. There's something so fascinating about shells. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Rita and the fascination is universal.

      Delete
  11. Shell collection is so much fun, even when all you find is clam shells. I bet that book is pretty handy especially when you go someplace and there are all kinds of exotic shells. Would it work for Cuba? hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beauty! Shells are so fascinating, and the stories behind them just as much so. I think I need that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s both fun and rewarding to identify what you have found.

      Delete
  13. Good small book to have. Love shells and have collected several over the years on the North West Coast of Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems like a good book to me.
    Here on the IJsselmeer you will not find any shells, this is a freshwater lake, but on the North Sea you will find many shells where the water is salty.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a very interesting book David !
    Beautiful pictures and with all the fact we need to know about shells !
    With the beach nearby and all the shell we found, it would be interesting to figure what species we have here...
    Have a shinny weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing what they are only adds to the enjoyment.

      Delete
  16. Youve got me scratching my head in indecision over this one, David. Like many people, as you note, I do enjoy seaching the strand line on a beach for shells (as well as other marine entities), but can I justify purchasing a book on the subject? - I'll have to give it more thought. If we lived nearer the coast, the decision would be easier.

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book looks beautifully illustrated. I would just like to look at the pictures! I haven't collected shells for many years as my time at the shore pretty much ended years ago...sadly. Another wonderful review. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous book. I love it that you shared the illustrations -- they are beautifully done and it sounds interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s something for everyone in this book, Jeanie, from casual collector to serious scientist.

      Delete
  19. They are truly spectacular & beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  20. The illustrations have very vivid colors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks an excellent book and who doesn't like hunting for shells.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. También he colecionado conchas y mí hija lo sigue haciendo. El libro me encanta. Abrazos querido amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi David - I'm very late here ... but shells bemuse - they are so intricate; When we were in St Ives, Cornwall as kids, where my mother came from, we often went 'To the Lighthouse Beach' - Godrevy lighthouse across the bay ... we could find pink shells tainted by the arsenic-run-off running from a very early mine a few miles inland. Now it's been cleaned up. This looks to be another wonderful book - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers