Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Book Review - The Little Book of Beetles - Princeton University Press


      Having enjoyed The Lives of Beetles (Princeton University Press) so much, and having consulted it a thousand times, I was delighted to see Arthur V. Evans as the author of this work in the "Little Book" series.        Scholarship would not be sacrificed, of that I was sure.
     As has been true of the other books in this series, I continue to marvel at the amount of knowledge that can be compressed into so small a volume. Furthermore, I am no less enchanted by the discriminating artwork produced by Tucge Okay. Never having known of her before this series, I now find myself already looking forward to the next book. This is the third "Little Book" that I have reviewed and I am truly impressed at the quality of the illustrations of widely different taxa - so far spiders, butterflies and beetles - with more to come. 


     The pictures convey animation; they invite participation rather than mere observation.
     As might be expected, the book covers all aspects of the lives of beetles - origins, anatomy, lifestyle, habitat, food, reproduction, and so on, but there is more than that. Facts are presented with an undercurrent of enthusiasm. Yes, Evans is dealing with science, but his own passion for these organisms is never far below the surface; text with a subliminal subtext almost.


     A detailed discussion covers the relationship of beetles to humans, both in antiquity and in the present day. Beetles have been both revered and reviled, considered holy and evil, and used as ornamentation by Mayans and ancient Egyptians. Even today, in Mexico, live beetles (seems particularly cruel to me) are used to create stylized jewelry, and there seems to be a bit of a resurgence in scarab brooches. The dazzling array of colours is an irresistible attraction.
     Citizen science can contribute a great deal to our knowledge of beetles around the world, and sections are devoted to photography and beetle collecting.


     Everyone can contribute to our expanding understanding of beetles, their distribution, their status (stable, endangered, critically endangered?), by uploading their pictures to platforms such as iNaturalist, where experts stand ready to help with identification.
     I can do no better than to leave you with Evans' final sentence in the Introduction, "It is my hope that The Little Book of Beetles will help inspire a new generation of naturalists and scientists."


     I think it will!


The Little Book of Beetles - Princeton University Press
Arthur V. Evans; illustrated by Tugce Okay
Hardcover - US$14.95 - ISBN: 9780691251776
160 pages - 3.75 x 6 inches (9.375 x 15 cm)
140 colour illustrations
Publication date: 02 April, 2024



David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

33 comments:

  1. I am a rescuer of beetles, which means this book is one I would love. we get several different types of beetles here and for years they have been the subject in front of my digital cameras. we have a large pool, and I skim them out and sit them in the sun. we do have a few that eat things and also snails that eat the leaves, but I still like them. agree with you on the cruel side of live beetles on jewelery. we have tiny beetles and huge beetles and medium, ugly, pretty beetles. that is how I identify our beetles. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear of someone who rescues beetles instead of killing them.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You don’t need to be a fan, but don’t kill them unnecessarily. Leave them alone to live their beneficial lives.

      Delete
  3. I've often thought it a pity that scientists go to such lengths to hide their enthusiasm for their subject in written works when everyone knows that an enthusiastic teacher will inspire future generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you surface again, John. I hope things are going well under very difficult circumstances.

      Delete
  4. I am relatively confident, David, that this one will be added to my bookshelves soon, as will the volumes on Butterflies and Spiders in this series.

    Thank you for the review - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book series has such great illustrations, David. I don't like beetles, but I don't kill them. They also have their function in nature. Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting book and your review.
    I don't know many beetles. I really like: Cetonia aurata, Cetonia aurata, Chrysolina fastuosa. They look like jewels.
    Sending hugs and greetings from spring Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Algunos los he visto, por el campo. Se ve que hay muchas especies.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like an excellent - and truly inspirational - series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name "The Little Book of..." . It sounds like this book is a useful treasure, and I bet the other titles are similar also. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  10. The beetles are beautiful; this past summer i saved one, gave him water, shade and food and he left happy 🐞🐞🐞 how ugly what they do in Mexico with these bugs, it seems cruel to me.
    Greetings, friend! good start to the month of April. ✨❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems to me to be a very interesting book based on your review.
    The illustrations are very beautiful.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks a good little book. Beetles are very interesting like most creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi David - fascinating series of 'Little' science books ... they're always good starter points; I agree the illustrations or photographs can draw one in to a particular subject - and Tugce Okay's illustrations are stunning ... clever lady. While you appreciate Arthur Evans' scientific knowledge ... cheers for now - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay’s illustrations are really exceptional, Hilary.

      Delete
  14. A book about a huge universe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not a fan of beetles. In fact, I detest bugs of any kind. Roaches, especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don’t need to be a fan, Gigi, but leave them alone to fill their role in a healthy and functioning ecosystem.

      Delete
  16. Hello David :=) This book seems like a little gem. Well illustrated and scientifically informative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thiis sounds great, beetles are always very fascinating. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  18. The illustrations look wonderful.. I don't kill beetles.... I don't like the 'crunch'.... Some of them are very pretty but I'm not a bug lover.....Unless of course it's the VW beetle..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very glad that you don’t kill beetles, Missy, otherwise I would have to put you in my bad books very quickly - and I certainly wouldn’t want to do that!

      Delete
  19. Sounds an excellent book, as do the others in the series.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this is a book I could really get into. I was just looking up beetles on line. Thanks, David

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this review, it is a book that should certainly be of use in this household. Fascinating. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not a huge fan of the beetle but no arguments about how very beautiful some of them are.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Otro libro muy interesante que me gustaría tener. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers