Tuesday, April 09, 2024

Book Review - Piping Hot Bees and Boisterous Buzz-Runners: 20 Mysteries of Honey Bee Behaviour Solved - Princeton University Press

 


     It was hard not to chuckle at this playful title of a book by one of the world's most pre-eminent bee biologists. 
     The book begins with Seeley reminiscing about being "not quite eleven years old"  and already observing a bee colony in a black walnut tree and asking himself questions about what was happening. As one goes through the book and vicariously takes part in Seeley's discoveries, one gets the firm impression that this eleven-year old boy is alive and well - and still living in Ithaca - curiosity undiminished. 
     And yes we do get to know about piping hot bees and boisterous buzz-runners.


    Along the way we are privileged to share in Seeley's ground-breaking series of elegant experiments and meticulous studies, all designed to shed light on bee behaviour and expand our knowledge of these remarkable, important, intelligent insects. We are treated to a window into the collaboration between scientists across international boundaries, divorced from ideology, and pure in the pursuit of knowledge. It is remarkable how many of Seeley's graduate students have gone on to gain renown as bee researchers in their own right.


 
     Every chapter is a self-contained story, a tale of discovery, of hard work and eureka moments. The sense of elation is palpable and it is impossible not to share in it.
     The book is unique - the memories of a scientist looking back on a life well-lived, on a satisfying career, on friendships made and cherished, on what it means to tease out nature's secrets.  It is at once a 
monument to discovery and a personal reminiscence.


     We all are in Seely's debt for this book and for his contribution to science. It truly is a portrait of excellence.
     May he thrill us many times again.
     I suspect he will!


Piping Hot Bees & Boisterous Buzz-Runners: 20 Mysteries of Honey Bee Behavior Solved - Princeton University Press
Thomas D. Seeley
Hardcover - US$29.95 - £25.00  
ISBN: 9780691237695 - 312 pages 
6.125 x 9.25 inches (15.31 x 23.125 cm) - 106 colour and black-and-white illustrations
Publication date: 09 April, 2024
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

34 comments:

  1. From your review, David, I am confident that this is a fascinating book, but I'm not sure that I can justify that level of spend to myself.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great book and review David! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. until today I had no idea there could be 20 different mysteries about bees.. I do know the sting is piping hot, but have a feeling that is not what this book is about...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...life without bees would be bleak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A history that started from adolescence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A history that started from adolescence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had so many bee stings that I am terrified of bees. When I see one buzzing around me, I don't stick around. This is precisely why I have not planted any flowering bushes near my house. I plant crotons, which provide brilliant colors without any pollen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most bees are very reluctant to sting, Gigi. Maybe they are punishing you for not offering food!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a fabulous book that I would love to keep in my book shelf too. Thank you, David, for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesante la vida de las abejas. Me alejo de ellas David, me picó una y lo pasé mal. Gracias por el libro.
    David Miriam que paséis buena semana.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would learn a lot from this book. I have been observing a bee hive in the forest for about 6 months now. It is hard to see with the leaves surrounding it now so I'm glad I found it during the winter months. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great book review thank you. I love your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bees are very important, David. I have a lot of them in my garden, and I'm very happy about it.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a bee keeper this review has me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a beekeeper you would both love it and benefit from it, Michelle.

      Delete
  14. It certainly sounds an excellent book, many thanks for the review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Probably not a surprise, but I want to read this. I'm off to check it out on Amazon or online. Thanks for the review. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both as a biology teacher and a beekeeper you will enjoy this book.

      Delete
  16. Bees are amazing creatures , i adore them.
    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that more people will come to realize just how amazing they are - and vital too.

      Delete
  17. Sounds a good book by your review - oh don't we need bees.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It seems like a good book to me, David.
    Bees in the Netherlands are doing very badly due to agricultural poison, so they should ban that stuff.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Neonicotinoids especially are a great problem, Irma, but they have been banned to a far greater extent in Europe than they have in North America.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello David :=)
    Thank you for the review of what must be a fascinating look at precious bee behaviour. I have already seen some in my garden and hope to see more as the temperature rises.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read a novel a while back, a story from a bee's perspective, this particular bee refused to remain in her caste and eventually became queen of a new hive. but before that there was so much about bee life, how they live, how they communicate, how they protect against predators. not sure how much was based on actual research and how much was, you know, fiction but it was an entertaining little story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another great book David, I've always loved taking photos of bees. Such industrious little things and so important for our planet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Most of the bees disappeared from the suburbs of Petersburg. Wasps and bumblebees remained. They are constantly flying in the garden. Although the store sells “flower honey,” I don’t know from which area the people collected it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi David - I hope to get this out of the library ... I need to get through my library backlog first before I can order another! It sounds such an intriguing book - I'd love to read it ... thanks for the introduction - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bees have intrigued naturalists for a very long time. Is Maeterlink’s 1901 book “The Life of the Bee” the first? It’s amazing that we humans can still learn so much from them.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Me encantan las abejas, sería un libro ideal para mí. Ahora mismo hay muchísimas en el jardín, en las flores de los naranjos y otras flores. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I might learn something from this book but I keep my distance from bees after being attacked when in Rhodesia and a following trip to hospital. I now react very badly to stings and carry tablets with me! Bisous mon ami Diane

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers