Friday, March 08, 2024

Book Review - Wasps of the World: A Guide to Every Family - Princeton University Press


 

     There are many avenues of satisfaction from Princeton University Press, and one of them is the familiar format of books in a series of titles. This is true with the Of the World series. Each new title brings a surge of pleasure and I look forward to a detailed examination of another of nature's wonders.
     So it is with the latest book, Wasps of the World: A Guide to Every Family. I am confident, before even opening the book that I am about to be treated to a learned exposition of the Hymenoptera, with an accurate, informed text, written by experts in their field, supported by a multitude of fabulous photographs. This is a given. Even the cover is appealing and draws one in.
     No one denies that a wasp is hardly everyone's favourite insect, especially those who have been the victim of its wrath. Many a picnic has been ruined by an angry yellowjacket. But who can resist knowing more?


     Most wasps, of course, are tiny, innocuous (to humans) creatures, most of which we will never see, but we depend on them for a wide range of services, particularly in controlling other undesirable insect pests. The diversity of wasps is stunning and the parasitoids are the stuff of wonder, admiration, and yes, they are macabre to some.
     The book begins with the simple question. "What is a wasp?" and goes on to provide an answer in complete detail. On to a short section on the diversity of wasps, followed by segments on evolution, biology and conservation. For the keen photographer there is a very interesting section on techniques to achieve optimum results. I have good friends who will benefit from advice here. 



     Wasps comprise three groups: Symphyta: Sawflies and woodwasps; Apocrita (Parasitica): Parasitoids wasps; and Apocrita (Aculeata): Stinging predatory and provisioning wasps, bees and ants. 
     Representative members of every family receive full treatment, with text, photographs and range maps.


     Whatever your particular field of interest or specialization, you will be greatly rewarded by an examination of this first rate book. It is after all an inter-related and inter-dependent biosphere we all inhabit - but you didn't need me to tell you that!


Wasps of the World: A Guide to Every Family - Princeton University Press
Simon van Noort, Gavin Broad
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691238548
240 pages - 7 x10 inches (17.5 x 25 cm) - 300 colour illustrations
Publication date: 06 February, 2024 


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

30 comments:

  1. Estos libros nos enseñan la vida y muchos detalles que desconocemos de estos Insectos. Gracias por la recomendación David .
    Que paséis buen fin de semana.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Osy są fascynujące. Uwielbiam je obserwować w ogrodzie, a mam kilka gatunków. Lubię fotografować owady. To kolejna moja pasja. Ich świat jest jak bajka - piękny i intrygujący. Z tej książki można zapewne czerpać rzetelną wiedzę na ich temat i oglądać doskonałe fotografie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ll have to publish some of your pictures, Ludmila.

      Delete
    2. Na moim blogu jest trochę zdjęć z owadami i motylami pod hasłem "owady". Niestety nie ma tam ani jednego zdjęcia osy. :-(

      Delete
  3. Nice review, David. We have got back a wasp who have been away for about 100 years. It's huge, and it scares me. It's name is Vespa crabro.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is present here too, Marit - one of those gifts we wish you hadn’t sent us! It does seem to sting without provocation.

      Delete
  4. just looking at the photos in this book is nightmare fodder for me. anything with a stinger, especially the flying kind, scares me silly. the tiny ones or the large ones, I used to leave church because of swooping wasps that came in through windows that had no screens, way back before churches were air conditioned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cada vez que veo una avispa, me alejo de ella, por temor a una picadura.
    Feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly echo your thoughts
    "No one denies that a wasp is hardly everyone's favourite insect"
    I do my best to stay out of the way if there are wasps about!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had many painful encounters with wasps over the years, but I bear them no ill will. They were just being wasps, filling their role in the world of Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Princeton University Press seems to have the best books of nature. I will stay away from wasps though..:-/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of information about the insects.
    I don't like wasps.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of us like to be stung by wasps, Irma, but the species that you see that might cause you pain represent a small number wasps, fortunately.

      Delete
  10. Looks a good book on wasps. Not a fan of them, and haven't seen any for a couple of summers at our place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great book review David. The wasps scare me, ever since I was stung by one.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been stung a few times and would be quite happy not to have the experience repeated. One of the worst stings was when I stepped into the shower and unwittingly stepped on one. Predictably it responded by stinging the sole of my foot.

      Delete
  12. Not my favourite insect either, but undoubtedly useful in many ways.
    Already from the cover of the book one guesses how diverse also wasps are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating! Sounds like this book goes way beyond the typical "stinging annoyance" view of wasps. Nice pics in the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got stung between my fingers by one of those little sweethearts in July 2022. My hand still itches in that spot. Very effective defense mechanism!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's great to have a book series you can trust to have each book be excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Wasps, they are a summer beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hola, que tal David!

    wasps of the world educates us about the biology and evolution of these insects, i`m shocked by wasps smaller than bacteria, they are "fairies" of the wasp world!
    Have a beautiful night.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent review, it is certainly a very interesting book..
    I've never seen wasps around here, maybe because I live in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not a fan of anything that has a stinger plus their nests can be quite intrusive but I'm sure it was a very informative book with wonderful pictures. I keep meaning to ask you what is the name of that tree that you and Marion are standing in front of in your header..??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, I don't know, Missy. The picture was taken at Goldstream Provincial Park on Vancouver Island, and formed a great backdrop for a picture. I have tried to identify it but there is not much of it showing. If I succeed I will let you know. I can identify the good-looking woman, though. It's Miriam, not Marion.

      Delete
  20. A mí me encantaría tener esté libro. Un abrazo querido amigo David.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yikes! Wasps are alarming to see. But of course they have their place in ecosystem.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful review of this book David.
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi David - Perhaps I need to find a group here that gives talks on natural history - all the subjects you cover ... another interesting and informative book - I'm sure I've got one here to read about wasps (perhaps!) ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers