Monday, March 25, 2024

Book Review - Plankton: A Worldwide Guide - Princeton University Press


      I suspect that I am not unlike many others when I confess that I "knew" what plankton are - sort of- but didn't really know much about them at all, and gave them less thought than I should. I understood their role in oceanic trophic levels, but I was certainly ignorant of their stunning diversity, and the inter-relationship between small and large organisms in this amazing cast of characters.


     One of the greatest pleasures of all for me is to expand my knowledge of nature and to understand the synergistic character of the phenology of life, where ultimately everything links to everything else. Thus it was with pleasure, and with an elevated sense of anticipation that I came to this book.
    Oh, my word! How much did I learn!


     The ecology of plankton is rooted in countless millions of years of evolution, with lifestyles and adaptations uniquely geared to precise circumstances. Their strategies for feeding - and providing food for others - vary greatly from species to species, yet each step on this trophic staircase is vital to the entire health of the marine ecosystem. Different methods of reproduction are selected by different organisms; their migrations are dictated by ocean currents as they drift through the vast expanses of the seas of the world, sometimes forming algal blooms familiar to many residents of coastal areas.


     There are so many different species of plankton, with an intriguing suite of names - dinoflagellates, foraminifera, ostracods, radiolarians - and names as prosaic as European Eel (brought to the brink of extinction by overfishing), sea snails, and jellyfish.
     Plankton are universally beautiful, sometimes in bizarre forms that could inspire the hallucinations of a psychedelic dream!


     Marine ecosystems which are fuelled by plankton, regulate the planet's climate. That much we understand, but the total impact is unknown since it is difficult to study marine biomes. 
     What we do know is that anthropogenic activity is affecting the oceans in myriad ways that are universally deleterious to their health, and has the potential to affect our food supply, and the amount of carbon dioxide released to the atmosphere; our very existence, in fact. Ocean acidification is changing the pH of the oceans, overfishing depletes stocks without regard for their recovery, mineral extraction that would destroy entire marine ecosystems is contemplated, organochlorine pollution persists and plastic pollution is at a level that defies belief, yet continues to increase.
     Sadly, we humans never seem to learn from past errors, no matter how egregious, and in an ongoing flirtation with folly, we all too frequently fail to elect principled leaders who are willing to tackle the problem head-on, for the benefit of humankind, and generations to come, without regard to short-term political advantage.


     This is a great book, well conceived, brilliantly narrated and illustrated, and I confer on it my unequivocal recommendation. 



Plankton: A Worldwide Guide - Princeton University Press
Tom Jackson and Jennifer Parker; edited by Andrew Hirst
Hardcover - US$29.95 - ISBN: 9780691255996
224 pages - 8.25 x 9.5 inches (20.63 x 23.75 cm) 
250 colour illustrations 
Publication date: 09 April, 2024
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

33 comments:

  1. Must be a very interesting book David !
    Nature is fascinating...
    Have a great week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review, David, has got me intrigued by a subject that, hitherto, I have not given a thought to. It might just get me buying this book!

    Thanks and best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...one of many subjects that I know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, the illustrations are wonderful. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of them, but the book looks interesting

    ReplyDelete
  6. The word plankton is new for me....what's the singular of plankton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like “deer” or “sheep”, plankton is used for both singular and plural. I have seen “planktons” used occasionally as a plural form, but it seems awkward and I am not sure it is correct.

      Delete
  7. I did not know jelly fish are plankton, and they are beautiful, but they terrify me, we see schools of them at our beaches and I do not even wade when they are out there. I did not know shrimp or plankton so went out to research it and found its when they are small and young and can't swim yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book seems to give a lot of information David. I used to think that plankton was only needed to feed whales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that impression is gained by nature documentaries, Nadezda, showing whales with gaping maws ingesting huge quantities of Plankton.

      Delete
  9. I know nothing about plankton, David. I'm sure it's an interesting book. Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you had better read this book, Marit. There will be a test at the end of the week!

      Delete
  10. Not a subject you hear about even on the nature shows (which I love). Absolutely fascinating! Something we should all know a lot more about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the book (and this review) will pique the interest of many. As the natural world in all its manifestation is ever more threatened by human rapaciousness, an informed public is vital.

      Delete
  11. A universe that needs to be studied further.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it WONDERFUL when we come across a book that expands our knowledge like that. Nature is endlessly fascinating - and often very, very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesante libro. Así es David los humanos somos los mayores depredadores, no aprendemos y cada vez vamos peor.
    Buena semana.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing another very interesting book David. I am always interested in learning and this is a subject I don't know much about. You have definitely piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do find the most interesting books for review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yeah! plankton displays its beauty universally, as if it were a canvas painted by the hand of the cosmos! sometimes it takes on such peculiar forms that they seem taken from the depths of a psychedelic trip, it's very cool!

    Greetings, dear friend
    Bye, bye,
    good night!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good review David.
    The illustrations are beautiful.
    I do know one thing, without plankton there is no life in the sea.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  18. My familiarity with plankton is due to my fondness of whales and other sea creatures.... Limited for sure ...interesting review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is still so much I know nothing about plankton being one of them!
    Sounds an excellent book.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know that much about plankton either, but I was impressed I recognized all those names you mentioned. This book would have been great when I was teaching and when we viewed ocean water under the microscopes in Microbiology. It was always amazing what interesting things we would find. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a fabulous book. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  22. that plankton looks like a little shrimp :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. this plankton looks like a little shrimp :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Otro interesante libro, me encantaría tenerlo. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing about this one.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers