Sunday, February 11, 2024

Book Review - Velvet Ants of North America - Princeton Field Guides

 


     I know what ants are - Edward O. Wilson made sure of that. I am a birder and could be forgiven for thinking they exist only as flicker food! But Velvet Ants? Well actually they are not ants, they are wasps. In the family Mutillidae. Confused? Just wait a bit.
     There - I have set the stage for what you are going to find is an exquisite exploration of these organisms, where identification of females and males of the same species can stump even the experts.  Page by page you will be introduced to these fascinating insects in a scrupulous scientific way, yet within the framework of a narrative tinged with scintillating humour. At times I actually laughed out loud, not what you'd expect  from Velvet Ants of North America, yet it only made the learning process that much more pleasurable. The three authors (it's hard not to draw a parallel with The Three Musketeers) have really shown us how to present solid science in a manner that even the most reluctant student will find appealing. Some may even fall in love with velvet ants.
     Permit me to cite just one example of the humour they weave into the text: "It is hard to characterize the gait of an entire family of insects, but to us, the locomotion of velvet ants resembles that of a sleep-deprived parent who is already 15 minutes late for an important appointment (months in the making), searching for their car keys on a LEGO strewn surface." 
     Overlaying this playfulness is a serious, compelling discussion, enhanced by exquisite illustrations throughout the entire book.


     The introductory sections will explain every aspect of velvet ant life, the chapter title telling much, "What is a velvet ant? The indestructible insect!"
     And on it goes. There is even a section dedicated to explaining how you can keep velvet ants as pets! The arcane realm of taxonomy is examined, with the challenges and pitfalls of new discoveries, sometimes only to learn that it is not new at all and has prior assignment to a previously misidentified species. Much terminology is developed around velvet ants to accommodate the unique circumstances of the taxa.  Day walkers, night walkers, day fliers, the graveyard shift are descriptive and evocative chapter titles too.  While the principal focus of the book is the velvet ants of the United States and Canada, there is an examination of the velvet ants of Mesoamerica and, indeed, of the World.
     Morphology is explored in matchless detail.


     The species accounts are a tour de force, with a picture, a range map and a concise description. You are even given a phonetic interpretation of those pesky scientific names to enable you to pronounce them. 
     This really is a gob-smacker of a book. Whether you are a professional entomologist or a rank amateur, I unequivocally recommend this work to you. It delivers satisfaction at every level, on every page, with every picture, with every word.
     If a glossary is important to you (it is for me), get ready for one of the most comprehensive you are ever likely to see. 
     So many esoteric organisms have become the subject of books in recent years and Princeton Field Guides are at the forefront of this expansion of knowledge.



      The books just keep getting better. Bravo, Princeton!


Velvet Ants of North America - Princeton Field Guides
Kevin Williams, Aaron D. Pan, and Joseph S. Wilson
Paperback - US$35.00 - ISBN: 9780691212043
440 pages - 5.5 x 8.5 inches (13.75 x 21.25 cm)
440 pages - 1,290 colour illustrations - 30 tables.
Publication date: 13 February, 2024
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

54 comments:

  1. They are totally different from what I saw in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the pictures...I thought they look like wasps, then I read the text..so I was right. Not sure I want to keep them as pets at all LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The velvet ants are interesting, great review. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I know that taxonomy in the plant world is an ever changing study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not only in plants, Tom. Molecular analysis has revolutionized taxonomy.

      Delete
  5. A very interesting book.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. How strange they look, David. I have never seen ants like that. It's a good review you have written!
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I can arrange to have some sent to you, Marit. Be sure to email me your address!

      Delete
  7. Although this book seems a little irrelevant to my geographical location, David (although I did note that you mention "of the World"), your review might just tempt me!

    Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hari OM
    Well, I just spent a delightful fifteen minutes going down the 'you can keep them as pets?!' warren... they are lovely! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Velvet ants are to be avoided, in Florida they are called Cow Killers and they can and do. they sting multiple times like other wasps and I HATE wasps. this book would give me nightmares. Enjoy your ants and ants books. and keep your cows away from them

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting David !
    Never seen velvet ant before !
    Have a great week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last week I actually witnessed a velvet ant crossing my patio in its rather drunken gait - first one I'd seen there since...I can't actually remember when. When we first moved here, I used to see them there quite often. Perhaps they are making a comeback. At least one can hope. I would really like to get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your local library will stock it, Dorothy, but I know that a copy would look good on your shelf!

      Delete
  12. you didn't mention their sting at all. these wasps are also called cow killers, that's how horrible their sting is and I can attest to it. I got stung a glancing blow by one on my foot when I stepped on it hidden in some leaves while barefoot. It was probably 6 weeks before I stopped having recurrent bouts of pain. and yes, indestructible! I kill everyone I see and they are almost impossible to kill. you basically have to have it on a hard surface (not dirt) and smash it repeatedly with a brick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of them before or seen them. I'm scared of wasps and bees, so I am glad to have met these via a book. Sounds like one entertaining book, though. Even though I love bees I would rather learn about them from videos, films, or books and definitely not in person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a new variety for me. I have never heard of velvet ants, nor seen one. But now I want to, And good news for me. The check engine light for me was nothing I needed to worry about, and even better, I had some close encounters with my living bees yesterday. Big smile about that. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to let us know how your bees have weathered the winter. Well, I conclude since you are smiling.

      Delete
  15. Il a l'air très complet et intéressant ce livre. Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  16. No he visto esas hormigas atorciopeladas nunca. Debe de ser muy interesante al verla desde muy de cerca,
    Que tengas una excelente semana.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting!....the fact that they can be pets is a new information to me.........Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good evening dear friend! what´s up!
    something strange happens to me this time... i didn't understand the text. That is, i understand that it is a book of scientific rigor and entertaining narrative but didn´t understand some idioms, but it is not a problem; i understood the important thing: how beautiful the velvet ants of North America are.

    A big kiss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your command of English is fabulous, Carolina. Where did you learn it so well?

      Delete
    2. Good evening David! I studied my entire career in a bilingual institute, but even so, the lack of practice leads me to not understand certain phrases or expressions. I'm horrible at speaking, i have a terrible accent XD

      Have a great week ahead!

      Delete
    3. I would be willing to bet that your accent is charming. I don’t know whether I ever mentioned it but many of the people who worked for me before I retired were from Mendoza, and my favourite wine is Malbec. We had a bottle with dinner tonight.

      Delete
    4. Salud, chicos Miriam & David! Enjoy the fine Malbec wine!

      Delete
  19. Velvet Ants, never heard of them until now. Interesting book to read and study it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very interesting book David.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah! That's what's been missing in my life - a pet velvet ant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have neither a blog about Ants, beautiful creatures David.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't really want to come face to face with any velvet ants. Not even as a pet. But I'm glad to see you thought it is a gob-smacker of a book. Looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sure they are fascinating, but I have never seen one. Wasps are creatures I try to avoid! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi David..I am unable to comment on your blog except on my computer.. My phone and my iPad both want me to sign into Google and neither of them will let me do that. Of course I'm already signed into Google so please excuse the delay.
    Velvet Ants !!!! They do look a bit waspy.. That book sounds as if you may have written it and injected your sense of humor on to the pages..
    It sounds and looks very detailed ..Nice photographs included..Interesting..I don't think I have ever seen a velvet ant -just a rabbit..I will have to pay more attention..Have a fun week..

    ReplyDelete
  26. My word. Velvet ants! You certainly introduce us to the most interesting creatures, David.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello David :=)
    Ant's are not my favourite insects, ever since they invaded a feeder and prevented the birds from feeding there. It's strange because I thought that the birds would have taken pleasure in eating them, but they did not, just avoided them. I have no doubt that Velvet Ants are interesting insects and they do look very different to the ones I'm used to seeing, The book is nicely illustrated and the knowledge within must be fascinating, but I'll pass on this one, however David thank you for. the splendid review.
    Hugs and xxxxxx
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ants can be a problem, Sonjia. Here they get into hummingbird feeders.

      Delete
  28. Hi David. I thought I'd answer your question about saguaros as best I can since I am not a cactus expert. Is a saguaro a tree? That's a good question. Does it have a woody stem? Not quite like what we think of most trees having, but they do have some wood in their folds. And although a deep root system isn't necessary, they do have a deep root system. And those arms are actually branches, but plants can have "branches" and not be a tree-like we'd the arms of on some woody shrubs. And large groups of saguaro are referred to as a forest So are they trees-maybe not, but with their very tall tree like size size and I think you can call them a tree. They did call them trees at Saguaro National Park where I learned most of what I know about them. Hope that answers your question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this detailed response, Erika. Now I am really curious!

      Delete
    2. Google says that a saguaro is a tree like cactus.....Helpful ??

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your diligence, Missy. Nothing that I have discovered seems to be conclusive, but I think that most tree biologists would be reluctant to call it a tree. It is, as you say, a tree-like cactus, but a cactus nonetheless in my estimation.

      Delete
  29. Yeaaahhhhh, I definatley don't want them as pets. LOL I watched a show where acid spitting ants are killing crabs as they migrate. Uhhh no thanks on those too. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Velvet ants -- I am always learning about new to me birds and insects -- What amazing lives ! ... Have you read "An Immense World" ? it is about the senses and perception of non-humans and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, Sallie. It's a great book, one of the best of the last couple of years, in fact.

      Delete
  31. Thank you, dear David, for introducing the velvet ant. I'm happy to have met her because she'll never stray all the way to my patio... but we had the field wasp very close to our patio table last summer and it was a pleasure to see that she has no interest in our food. On the contrary, we were able to study them wonderfully... it was really exciting to host them in the garden... I hope they come back. We also had hornets in the garden, which are just as peaceful and very interesting... these are under strict conservation protection, but this is not very well known to the general public.
    There are really incredibly beautiful insects. A happy hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are remarkably enlightened, Viola. I wish we lived closer to each other.

      Delete
  32. I'd not heard of them before now!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ese libro sería super interesante para mí. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Interesting, but I’m not going to keep them as pets.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers