Thursday, February 08, 2024

A New Location and an Old Favourite

".....when will we run the world with the needs of wildlife in mind, with nature twined throughout our lives in towns, villages and cities; when its necessity, value and wonder will be recognized and integrated into the strategies of industry, agriculture, parks and gardens?"
Sarah Gibson

22 January, 2024
Balzer Creek Trail, Kitchener, ON

     I will be leading a walk in April for the City of Kitchener Public Library, Country Hills Branch, and wished to explore the area to locate a suitable venue for a spring outing.
     Miriam came with me and together we marched for a considerable distance along a ribbon trail that threads its way through subdivisions, all the while delivering lots of wildlife, with the potential for exciting possibilities when spring migration will be underway, the forest floor will be greening up and insects will be stirring. 
     As I have reported in the past, American Robins (Turdus migratorius) are ever more frequently, and in greater numbers, eschewing migration in favour of remaining here for the winter. Winters are increasingly more benign, and enterprising birds can make a living. The phenology of many organisms is changing in response to climate perturbation.


     Robins have learned to exploit microclimates, find suitable conditions in sheltered ravines, and secure food without great difficulty.


     While not especially prone to land on bird feeders, robins eagerly take advantage of seeds spilled on the ground, and many houses backing onto this trail provided easy provisions for these birds.
     It was a great pleasure for us to see so many.
     Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) was also very common, the flash of its white outer tail feathers signalling its presence as it zoomed away in rapid flight.


     It was heartening to see that a snag had been left standing, to provide food and habitat for a variety of organisms. Standing dead wood is so important to a functioning ecosystem.


     Bracket fungi have colonized the tree, thereby enabling the return of its nutrients to the soil.


     From time to time, the trail opened up, and a pleasing mix of habitat augers well for a variety of organisms on a spring walk.


     Everyone should take the time to really look at a House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) to appreciate what a truly handsome little bird it is.


     Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) is our smallest woodpecker and our most common. This male was in splendid condition and looked quite regal.


     As might be expected Eastern Grey Squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis) were "everywhere." 


     Partly concealed in the treetops was a Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis), our most widespread raptor.


     As a top predator Redtails are important in keeping the population of rodents under control, and illustrate the vital role of predation in maintaining the ecological balance in a healthy ecosystem.
     A Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) is loved by all.


     If you'd like to accompany me on this walk on 2 April you'll need to register with the library (519 743-3558).
     Perhaps I'll see you then.

28 January, 2024
Mill Race Trail, St. Jacobs, ON

     Before getting into the car we noticed a scattering of feathers on the driveway; it appears that a Dark-eyed Junco met its demise here.



     We had finally had a few cold days in a row and the Mill Race Trail looked suitably wintry.


     Perhaps a Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) rejoiced in the winter conditions too.


     A White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) came to take food from my outstretched hand.


     It's wonderful to have any bird alight on your hand but a nuthatch is a particular joy since it tends to stay there for a while. It picks up one seed and drops it in favour of another, goes through the same routine again, gobbles one down, and then selects another to hide for later consumption.
     If you have never had this kind of intimate contact with a wild creature, especially a small one that has no defences against a human a hundred times its size, you have missed one of the most joyous experiences in life. I do it routinely yet it never gets old, never loses its allure, never fails to remind me of my connection to all other living things.
     There was even a hint of ice on the water.



     I would be happy taking a wager, that on your finest day you didn't come close to the beauty of a drake Mallard (Anas platyrynchos).


     Neither Miriam nor I could recall reports of strong winds in the area, but it must have been the case, for there were several instances of broken branches.


     A Dark-eyed Junco is perfectly at home in the winter and deals easily with cold and snow.


     A tiny male Downy Woodpecker added lustre to our walk.


     A female no less.



     Sadly, I have to report that the beaver dam, so carefully constructed, so much a living example of nature in action, has been smashed to smithereens. The lack of enlightenment, compassion and appreciation of nature is sickening.
     On the way home we were thrilled to see a male Eastern Bluebird (Sialis sialia), a not unexpected sighting in recent year; doubtless more birds are remaining here in these tepid, insipid winters.


     At least there's something good about blah weather!
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

62 comments:

  1. The Dark-eyed Junko is very beautiful. It's color looks very nice when it's winter. The Downy Woodpecker is very pretty too. I like woodpeckers, David. The Passer domesticus have become very few here now. The Passer montanus have increased in numbers in the past years.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have visited cities in Asia, Marit, where Passer montanus has supplanted Passer domesticus as the default bird of the streets. Both are very attractive. Hugs and kisses - David

      Delete
  2. Birds are very special creatures. Very photogenic as well.
    I read that, in Ontario, there are 508 species, 291 of which are known to breed in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...a robin appeared in our yard this morning, what a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the earliest I've seen a robin in the city was around mid-March, however my brother who lives in the valley says there have been some overwinter. I suspect it is a microclimate that draws them there.
    Juncos are a sign of spring here, the first to arrive at the feeder and last migratory to leave. I do miss my bird feeder. It provided so much entertainment and enjoyment.
    The red-tailed hawk, the woodpeckers, and that cardinal are such beautiful birds. We don't see cardinals here at all - I enjoy seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I would enjoy that walk! Maybe one day. I am astonished that the Eastern Bluebird is staying over winter in your area. What changes will we see in the future, I wonder, as we continue to heat up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes without saying that if ever you are in the area you would be very welcome to join us.,

      Delete
  6. We used to get many American Robins and Dark-eyed Juncos visiting our yard in winter, but I cannot recall seeing a single one of either species this season. I suspect they have all stopped to spend winter much farther north. Why bother to fly farther south if you don't need to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have junkos here too they fill the yard and flitter around. Robins are in full force here and I am afraid this warmer weather has them confused. It's nice see them tough. Have a nice day today. Oh about the art, evidently people do buy and hang this type of art on the walls. The sales from these artist is impressive. I'm with you, I like this art but not for my walls. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos from your walk, dear David! I stayed home this afternoon, too, as it rained non stop, and I had more bird visitors than I could count, they were all hungry and out for a free feed. It was great watching these tiny beings coming and going - Meisen, Robins, sparrows and a very bedraggled little greenish bird. I didn't take any photos, I didn't want to disturb my visitors, but it was really ednjoyable! Hugs, Valerie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear that the birds came to entertain you on a rainy day, Valerie.

      Delete
  9. I am always so amazed how many bird species we share across continents, and I don't mean migratory birds. I am not aware of any bird migration between Europe and the American continent but I am pretty clueless regarding birds. Anyway, we are woken most days now by the European robin singing its heart out at sunrise, followed by our version of the woodpecker calling for a mate and knocking on wood with furious energy, then there are lots of Mallard ducks in the local parks and so are the red squirrels, although we spot the occasional black/grey one which have migrated from your continent, apparently. So, it's interesting to see what is going on at your end. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be great if the cardinal bird arrived in Finland.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally with you about house sparrows...they are beautiful and sing beautifully too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buena cantidad de aves, salen a tu paso y todas bastante bien capturadas. Son precciosos los pájaros que he podido ver.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The snowy river looks like a winter pastel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that Mallard was colored with God's crayons for sure. brilliant. sorry the beavers lost their dam. looks like a great place to roam in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have yet to see a cardinal. One day…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever you make it down here, Marie, I could almost guarantee you Cardinal or two or three.

      Delete
  16. Hari OM
    The colourful birds in the thick of grey winter are surely a wonderful sight, a relief to the eye. Unable to join you on the walk, I look forward to what I am sure will be a thorough report! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi David! these seem to be the most beautiful birds, what a unique color,
    they seem painted by the finest painter. There are no words to define such wonder, they are pure tenderness, observing these creatures gives me peace and joy.

    We must take care of our wonderful planet with great dedication and
    conscience, i heard about some disasters in Chile and i am shocked.

    Greetings dear friend! 😊😊🤩 🌍 🐦

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pretty birds, and what a shame about the beaver dam.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked photo of Cardinalis cardinalis, David. And I also remember how tits fed in my palm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful series of photos David.
    The American Robins are very different from the Robins we have here.
    I think sparrows are wonderful birds, many of them come to my balcony to eat.
    I love Squirrels, I also love the Red-tailed Hawk and the Northern Cardinal, which I have never seen before.
    It's great that the birds just eat out of hand, that really doesn't happen here, they are much too shy for that, probably because so many people live here, the Netherlands has 18 million inhabitants on that small part of the earth.
    I enjoyed your blog again.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing birds and pictures David !
    Thanks for sharing !
    Have a cozy weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  22. I envy your wintery scenes, David. Our day of heavy snow forecast for yesterday just turned out to be a day of continuos heavy rain.

    Balzer Creek Trail looks very promising - is it somewhere that you'll be returning to from time to time after leading the walk on 2nd April?

    It has been a few years since I had a wild bird on the hand, but I still cherish the experience. Maybe a return visit to Scotland is indicated!

    My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will reserve judgement until after the walk, Richard. It is not radically different from other trails that weed their way through residential areas, but perhaps for some reason it is a bit of a hot spot. We’ll see!

      Delete
  23. This post made me feel like that I heard their chirping in the bracing air. I agree with your expression about House Sparrow. “Suzume”, European Tree Sparrow, might look just ordinary birds in Japan but so cute. These days I haven’t seen them in large numbers like before. Thank you for your visit to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful creatures in great photos, as always in your posts.
    The smallest ones are my favourites and the blue colour of the Eastern Bluebird is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, it must be delightful to have a nuthatch sit on your hand. I have never experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. No robins for me yet, but I've been scattering seeds on the ground and have a whole flock of juncos visiting. They are fun to watch, but a little skittish too. And I had bluebirds for a bit, got some meal worm, which now seems to be the favorite of many other birds so the feeder empties in 2 days. But sadly, I haven't seen the bluebirds for a few days. Hopefully they'll be back. Your photos are lovely, as always, and it is fun to go on a walk with you, even if it is from my couch. Have a great weekend David. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meal worms seem to be a universal favourite and disappear quickly as you have discovered.

      Delete
  27. odd perspective on that cardinal, makes him look pin headed. when we lived in Houston we had robins year round. 60 miles away out in a rural county I never see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is puffed up against the cold, seen from below.

      Delete
  28. I would never tire of having a bird eating out of my hand, either! You are so fortunate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. That cardinal looks overweight!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hallo David,

    Allemaal prachtige vogelsoorten daar in Amerika, waarvan zover ik kan nagaan alleen de wilde eend ook hier voorkomt. Je hebt er zelfs eentje handtam weten te maken. Enkele prachtige spechten en een rode kardinaal, je hebt ze prachtig op de gevoelige plaat vastgelegd.

    Groeten,
    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  31. As usual lovely photo's David, only problem is they make me feel very cold as I sit in my nice warm room.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a long life in the great outdoors, Mike, you have earned the warmth of a comfortable room.

      Delete
  32. I enjoyed seeing the photographs from your walk.
    We have quite a few birds visit the garden but I've never had one eating from my hand.
    However, Eddie has had them eating nuts and seeds from his boots while sitting!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  33. The photos are fantastic! The variety of birdlife you encountered is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I wish I could sign up and go on the walk with you! I know it would be a great experience.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi David.

    That will be a beautiful and fun walk in April.
    You show beautiful woodpeckers
    That American Robin is really beautiful.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sorry to hear about the beaver dam. No doubt the beavers are already looking at blueprints for the next one.

    The birds must sense that you are a gentle soul.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello David,
    Both walks look great to me, I would be happy to take a walk in both places.
    The birds are great and the scenery is pretty. Beautiful photos as always.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would be really excited to have a nuthatch feed from my hand and always delight when you show them doing so, David. The robins looked quite impressive as did all the other birds and ducks in this post. I have spotted a few robins here in NH and suspect they are around year round.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fascinating to see how the changing seasons affect the behavior of the birds and other organisms in the area. Such a shame about the beaver dam.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful photos of the birds. American robins have beautiful coulours. It's nice the birds are sitting on your hand, here they fly away.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fantastic photos, the contrast between the red of the Northern Cardinal and the tree branches and the gray sky is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi David,
    Beautiful photos of the birds and the landscape. It will be a nice trip in April.
    Than the Mill race Trail so lovely to have a little bird in your hand. I know the feeling. Once iI had a little Passer domesticus in my hand....Pure happiness!
    Happy week ahead
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  43. Me encantaría que los pájaros de mí jardín comiesen en mis manos, pero no creo que eso pase, tienen mucho miedo. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  44. How sad that the beaver dam was smashed - who would do that? I just don't understand. I'd love to accompany you on your walk on April 2, but I'm afraid I live just a tiny bit too far away to stop by for a Tuesday walk.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Robins and juncos are frequent visitors in Oregon (even in our urban apartment yard, an example of what you say about their ability to adapt. I am so sad to hear about the vandalization of the beaver dam

    ReplyDelete
  46. I think your walking group will have a lovely time there, David -- especially if they are lucky enough to have a nuthatch land on their hand for a spot of lunch!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers