Thursday, June 01, 2023

Book Review - Common Bees of Western North America - Princeton Field Guides


      For two years I have been using the excellent (and by now well-thumbed) Carril and Wilson guide, Common Bees of Eastern North America, so I was delighted to note that a companion volume had been published covering the bees of Western North America. I am planning a visit to Vancouver Island in September and this guide will get its first serious workout then. In the meantime hours of pleasant study await.
     There are over 3,000 species in western North America, and it is impractical to feature all of them, but more than 200 species are covered, representing those taxa most likely to be found in the appropriate habitat. 
     Bee identification is often difficult, even for a scientist with specialized training and sophisticated equipment, so for the casual naturalist it is frequently impossible to narrow down the ID to the species level. Pages 25 to 33 provide a very useful guide to help in refining the possibilities - "Bees that are completely red," "Bees that are extremely large (bigger than the top joint of the pinky," "Bees that are miniscule" - and so on.
     What then follows is a taxonomic list of bee families with genera found within that family, with clear and detailed photographs to accompany each account. The text is excellent and will facilitate identification in most cases; range maps are key to defining the geographic range.  At the very least, it should be possible to assign a bee to the correct family, often to the genus and sometimes right down to species.
     I am quite sure that like most naturalists my aim is to experience the bee as it goes about its life, and not to capture it for close examination or pinning. A photograph will often be very helpful in identifying the bee, and with today's sophisticated digital cameras, even those on cell phones, everyone has the ability to get a good shot.
     An excellent glossary is provided and an extensive list for further reading.
     I am delighted to add this book to my ever expanding library on bees; it is bound to become a treasured reference.

Common Bees of Western North America - Princeton Field Guides
Olivia Messinger Carril and Joseph S. Wilson
Paperback - US$35.00 - ISBN: 9780691175508
416 pages - 5.5 x 8.5 inches (13.75 x 21.25 cm)
582 Colour photographs, 198 black-and-white silhouettes
Publication Date: 23 May, 2023


David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

30 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful that there is always something new (and often exciting) to learn about wild life. How I would love to spend some time delving into your reference books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...what a great header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that it's only quite recently that I realised that there were so many very tiny bees. I obviously need a guidebook for the British representatives of this fascinating group of insects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello David
    I have to mention I love that header photo, the tree is cool. Great review and book on the bee id's. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice book review as always, David. Great new header as well! Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thursday interesting about the bees and birds. I am linked to Rain.

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this recommendation

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I dropped by to thank you for your visit., I got excited to read about bees of the western NA. I got excited about bees when Erika bought her first bee hive. Now i'm totally hooked. Sounds like this will be a book to take with you on holiday.

    Like others, I love that new blog header. What a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the only way I will get a photo of a bee is with a long zoom lens which my cell doesn't have, i will leave the close ups like yours to people who are not fearful of bees. i have never seen a blue bee for real or in a photo. now I have. Had no idea there are that many different types.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Without them there would be no flora.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea there were over 3000 species of bees in the West. This sounds like a very valuable and useful guide book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bees are fascinating, and we need to learn to be good to them! Hugs, Valerie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. El mundo de las abejas, es impresionante.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every bee lover should have a copy of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to wonder how you find the time to do all of your birding excursions and read all of the books that you so kindly recommend to us ... I love my Wild Honey Bee Book and learned a lot about them from the book, but I am not sure I am up for knowing all of the Bee Species, though it would be nice to have a book to refer to when I see a bee that is new to me. However, I live neither East nor West, so is there a book on "Bees of the Midwest"? That would suit me perfectly :)
    So awesome that you are headed for Vancouver Island. I have been there fairly recently and have a ton of pictures, mostly of flowers and sadly none of bees, so clearly it must have been before we met. But, it is a lovely place and I know you will have a wonderful time there. I do hope that when you share your pictures and new knowledge with us, you will include whatever Western Bees you run across.
    It has been hot here for the last few days and it makes me wonder why I was so looking forward to summer ... but isn't it always the way that our preferences seem to be for the weather that we are not currently "enjoying".
    I can't leave without commenting on your new Header ... What an awesome picture of both you and Miriam ... and the Wise Old Oak:) Twas yet another enjoyable visit, David ... Thank you, again and again.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bees, we have got to have bees. I eat Manuka honey which is excellent honey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bees are very important for the pollination of everything you can think of.
    I never knew there were so many kinds.
    It seems like an interesting book to me.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's important to learn always something new about the wildlife and the animals in general.
    It's difficult for me to identify the bees but I know that they are very important.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed your review..Bees are an important part of our eco system..Hard to identify all of them..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bees are so important to a healthy environment! This sounds like a great book. Thank you, David, for the wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bees are so important to a healthy environment. This sounds like a great book. Thank you, David, for the wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great book and review David! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Parece un gran libro, y como siempre te digo, otro libro que me gusta, ja ja ja. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As always an excellent review.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bees are essential for maintaining biodiversity, food production and human life. It is certainly a very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I see that my loving and delightful friend Elephant's Child is among your many readers. I too love bees--and also wasps--and will definitely take a peek at the book. Thank you for the review. I also love birds, but have never gone further than my backyard to search for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Any friend of Sue’s is a friend of mine.

      Delete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers