Friday, May 05, 2023

At Home and Beyond

03 April, 2023
At Home, Waterloo, ON

     Miriam's crows still regard her as their own personal St. Francesca of Assissi and call to her persistently until she responds with food, not neglecting to chat for a while, however.


     What handsome, intelligent birds they are.


     We have been unable to identify one individual from another, seeing no marks that would permit this, but some still display great wariness when approaching the food, often sidling up to it, so perhaps a new bird is permitted to join the regulars from time to time.


     In case you are wondering what this food is, it is chicken fat skimmed from the top of the broth when we make chicken soup. Then it is frozen and cut into cubes and all indications are that it is their favourite item. If it is offered along with other morsels the chicken fat is snatched up and eaten first.
     We often remind ourselves how incredibly blessed we are to share our lives with crows.

08 April, 2023
At home, Waterloo, ON

     Song Sparrow (Melopsiza melodia) is a frequent visitor to our backyard, always very welcome, of course.


     Squirrels can do serious damage to a wooden fence, and often they prove the point, for no other reason it seems than they can.


22 April, 2023
At home, Waterloo, ON

     Some robust White-throated Sparrows (Zonotrichia albicollis) spend the winter here, but most move farther south and return in the Spring.


     As soon as the first one puts in an appearance in the yard, they are joined by others in short order, and one day we had six at the same time.


     An American Robin (Turdus migratorius) displays no hostility towards them and they are happy to forage side by side.


15 April, 2023
The Linear Trail, Cambridge, ON

     Barely had we entered the trail than we saw our first Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) of the spring.


     It actually led Miriam on quite a merry chase, stopping for only the briefest moment, until finally it decided that this bark was where it wanted to rest for a minute or two.
     An American Herring Gull (Larus smithsonianus) was, by comparison, a model of cooperation.


     Several Buffleheads (Bucephala albeola) cruised up and down the water, including these very smart males.


     Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) is always the first of the Catharus thrushes to arrive back in southern Ontario, and we were charmed by our first sighting of 2023.


     A group of Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) was the very image of riverine tranquility.


     Would that I were an artist to render such a scene in delicate watercolours.
     Weeping Willows (Salix babylonica) leaf out earlier than most trees and look so grand and stately.


     A Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) had captured a good-sized fish, and was about to have a sushi lunch!


     The expansive pallette of nature's art is always on display, and this fallen tree make a very attractive tableau.


     Box Elders (Acer negundo) are bursting forth and they are nothing short of magnificent.


     I doubt that a tree can become complacent, but better stand on guard in any event. Box Elder Bugs (Boisea trivittata) are poised to wage war on them.


     Actually these insects do little damage to the tree, but they do cause deformities and discolouration in fruit.
     Who does not love a Common Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)?


     Far too many, unfortunately. The way that the poor dandelion has been attacked, uprooted, poisoned, and in every other way possible subjected to hostility and aggression, would rank as bigotry and persecution of the most heinous kind in human relationships.
     Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) is consistently one of the first of the spring ephemerals to burst into bloom, and for that reason alone (quite apart from its singular beauty) is greatly loved by everyone.


16 April, 2023
Benjamin Park Rail, Waterloo, ON

     The trail looks quite bare so early in the Spring, but hints of green are announcing the season.


     A Two-spotted Bumble Bee (Bombus bimaculatus) was wasting no time, nectaring on the early blooms.


     Siberian Squill (Scilla siberica) is a very attractive flower, found early and found often.



     One is never out of earshot, and seldom out of sight of an American Robin - or two or three.


     Daffodils (genus Narcissus) show themselves so brightly and boldly in the woodlands, courtesy of squirrel gardeners in all probability.


     Magnolias (genus Magnolia) have also migrated by one means or another from suburban garden to wild woodlot.


17 April, 2023
Martin Creek Road, Woolwich Township, Region of Waterloo. ON

     In contrast to most woodpeckers, Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) feeds on the ground, often searching for ants, but not rejecting other arthropod morsels that might cross its path.


17 April, 2023
Mill Race Trail, St. Jacobs, ON

     American Beaver (Castor canadensis) specializes in landscape reconfiguration and no attractive bit of food or ornamentation escapes its attention!


     In this case most of the edible bark has been stripped and consumed and it looks as though the branch was destined for use in the dam, but the beaver got distracted twice.
     Honeysuckles (genus Lonicera) are emerging.


     Male Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) are charged with spring lust and are everywhere competing for the attention of willing females.


     The female below seems to have been occupied with other matters and had little time for our Lotharios - at least for now.


     A White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) is infrequently seen on the ground, but if food is to be had there better go and get it.


     Here it is seen in a more usual posture, exploring every nook and cranny of the bark of a tree.


     There are other outings to report on, but this post is quite long enough so I will save them for the next episode. In the meantime, enjoy nature to the fullest while protecting and nurturing it. It needs all the help we can give it.
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

53 comments:

  1. ...Fabulous, but Box Elder (Acer negundo) is nothing short of magnificent, until they split apart..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, too, the sparrows make us happy with their presence and song. Being a city there are not many varieties of birds, I usually see blackbirds, goldfinches, pigeons, Eurasian collared dove and seagulls (although my usual home is not by the sea).
    I loved all your beautiful "captures", I'm always delighted with the intense color of the Male Northern Cardinal.
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful willow tree! Not common in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wildlife photos are delightful, as always. Regarding your comment, an earworm is a song that keeps playing in your head. (Crimson and Clover is a song.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what an earworm is, but not knowing the song I failed to make the connection.

      Delete
  5. Excellent as usual this new post documenting how flora and avian fauna are emerging this spring. It is a privilege that you can observe from your own garden the interesting behavior of numerous species of birds. I will be attentive to the next entries that you announce on your blog. I have been away for three weeks and I also have news to update my blog. A big hug friend David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome home, Julio. I will look forward to blog posts based on your trip. Un abrazo amigo Julio.

      Delete
  6. The black crows are very handsome. I like this family of birds. Very beautiful photo of the magnolia, David! The have just started to bloom here too.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a feast of birds, David. I have many stories about crows and a friend recently was the recipient of gifts from a crow he has befriended. Bullet casings (I know!) and a crocus. They are extraordinary creatures. Daughter and I recently watched one chase an eagle away from a nest up on Signal Hill. An incredible sight in the air. The crow was fearsome, the eagle fled.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the crow story, you might be interested in the crow story on Tiggers blog today, Scotland, they have a crow also https://tiggerswee-blog.blogspot.com/2023/05/adaptation.html
    the red admiral is teritorial and sits in the same spot at night and also comes back to the same place over and over. we had them in our yard before the drought killed all the passion plants. I would stand in the same spot at the same time each evening and he would come and sit on me. my head my face, my arms and clothing. if I wore white he always sat on the white... we miss them, fun to see one here. as always your photos are fantastic and I like the way you document them with dates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crows always hunt places where they know they can steal food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful birds, flowers dnd insects, all so beautifully photographed. Love that the crows have made friends with Miriam, they are indeed beautiful and intelligent, and I'm happy that we have so many of them here, too.. Have a great weekeend, hugs, Valerie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hari OM
    Thank you for introducing us to your 'garden pals' as well as those you visited while out and about! More delightful company is hard to imagine. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen a crow in our garden though the trail camera has spotted one a couple of times. I have never managed a photo of a crow, as out walking if they see me they vanish into thin air. Maybe they think I am carrying in a gun!! I love all your photos and that Flicker really is a beautiful bird.
    Bon week-end mon ami. Bisous, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed all the photos and especially like the story of the crows, very smart birds indeed. Thanks for sharing, David.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How I love walking with you two.
    And crows. I delight in the fresh green of weeping willows each and every year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would really like to get out into our forest soon. Before the mosquitoes. My chores in the yard are calling. I have done that chasing the butterfly dance, too! The crows are quite something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get the more I learn to ignore the chores!

      Delete
  16. Wonderful photos! My favorite is the kingfisher with it's lunch. To see that would be amazing. I had a northern Flicker in the yard the other day, but it wouldn't stop long enough for a photo and flew into the neighbour's yard and out of sight.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like crows. I do talk to them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful collection of photographs here David, thank you.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so jealous of your relationships with the crows!
    Lovely post, as usual. I am a lover of dandelions, too. They are so maligned, the poor bright little things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The flicker has such a varied coat of feathers; speckles on his front and wavy stripes on his back!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think dandelions must respond favorably to the pressure to get rid of them. They certainly haven't gone away, or even close. And you've seen some great signs of spring. And definitely Miriam's crows are amazing. I need to try feeding some of the ones around me. They are definitely very handsome. Have a wonderful weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do the same with chicken fat for the crows in our area. They love that stuff.

    There are White-throated sparrows in residence along the boardwalk now. Such lovely little birds. Love those cardinals though I’ve never see one. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favourite as always is the Northern Cardinal certainly a beautiful photo of the male.
    All the photos are lovely and I also loved the Geese and that scene in the shot. If I could paint I would paint that one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Prachtige vogels, bloemen en insecten David.
    Kraaien zijn superslim.
    Groetjes Irma

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello David :=)
    I smile at the comments you leave me, and this last one I chuckled:=) It made my day! Your posts make mine, as you share so much beauty in flora and fauna, I love Miriam's capture of the female Cardinal, and the male of course, also the beautiful Northern Flicker and Nuthatch. There used to be two Weeping Willows in my garden and they were beautiful, but unfortunately they are a tree which is short lived and after about ten years they began to show signs of ageing and eventually died, but they brought me great pleasure in there prime. Lovely shot of the one you shared and also great shot of the dead tree which had fallen over the water.The new growth appearing on the ground
    is a lovely sight, I derive so much pleasure from the sight of wild flowers.Thank you for yet another engaging post.
    Warm Hugs from a much cooler Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful birds! Some controversies exist about dandelions. They aren’t native to North America (it seems they came over on the Mayflower) and they have some nasty adaptations for suppressing other plants. Their pollen is not good for some pollinators (though this is a complicated issue). That said, the level of herbicides used on them may be overkill (ha ha).
    Happy May birding… best,mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi David, “At Home and Beyond” is another delightful set of photos. I enjoy the variety of nature in your posts. Of course, the birds are wonderful, but, oh my, the Weeping Willow photo is an award winner for sure. Looking through your photos, I came to a complete stop and stare at the Willow. 😊 What a beauty! Now, as for the birds … can I pick a favorite? … if I must … The Northern Cardinal. Viewing the large size of that photo on my desktop screen is just stunning. Thanks, David, for sharing. Wishing you a fine weekend! John

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been noticing the song sparrows here looking in the garden for leftover seeds. The goldfinches are enjoying the special birdfeeder I have up for them. I have the hummingbird feeder out to but no sign of them yet though map showed one spotted north of us so it won't be long.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was delighted with the photo of Acer negundo. It's beautiful, I can't take my eyes off it.
    First time I see Sanguinaria canadensis. She's adorable, I read that she can be seen in the forests of North America.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's a neat idea with the chicken fat, David. It's good to know that Miriam is still appreciated by the crows. It seems to be a mutually beneficial arrangement!

    It is always a pleasure to see your local birds, but I do have a particular fondness for the Northern Flicker and Whitebreasted Nuthatch.

    My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are seeing so many signs of Spring! I love the Red Admiral. We saw our first Monarch this week and that was exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Si desmerecer a las otras imágenes, ese árbol caído merece una mención especial. Se ha convertido en mi fotografía favorita.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful example of why we should do all we can to protect Mother Natures gifts. Lovely series..Never knew about chicken fat but thinking about it, I guess it would be similar to suet!! Enjoy your weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Les corbeaux sont mes préférés. Il y'a tant d'oiseaux autour de chez vous, j'aime aussi regarder les fleurs et insectes. Le magnolia dans les bois c'est original! Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  35. Whilst out walking the other day I too was admiring Dandelions and also thinking how under appreciated they are. They are an important early source of food for pollinators - so let them grow!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Estimado amigo David, como siempre, otra preciosa entrada. Los cuervos son muy inteligentes y seguro que le tienen gran cariño a Miriam, no olvidan que son atendidos en su demanda de comida.
    Ya empiezan a verse los primeros y bellos coletazos de la primavera con sus bellas floraciones.
    Me gusta mucho el cierre de esta entrada con la frase «disfruta de la naturaleza al máximo mientras la proteges y la nutres. Necesita toda la ayuda que podamos darle». Ojalá, se tome conciencia de ello querido amigo.
    Un gran abrazo de tu siempre amigo y compadre Juan con admiración.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The willow tree is beautiful: such a lovely, spring-like green. I smiled to see the box elder bug. There was one of those trees across from my grandparents' home, and plenty of those insects. When I first met the milkweed bug, I assumed it was the familiar insect from childhood; eventually, I figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you are not the first to confuse the two species, Linda.

      Delete
  38. Hi David.

    Many beautiful birds and Flowers show you.
    Wonderful.

    Greetings from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Siempre es un placer para mí pasear contigo por tu blog. Un abrazo y esperando tu próxima entrada.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful outings with wonderful images to show. This time of year the outdoors is teeming with life.

    ReplyDelete
  41. thank you for sharing these beautiful birds. I saved the picture of the fallen tree as inspiration for a possible watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ja ten post obejrzałam wcześniej, nawet przyglądałam się kowalikowi, bo ładny z niego model do malowania, ale nie skomentowałam.
    Dla mnie widok wiosny jest zawsze cudowny. Kwiaty i ptactwo uwijające się wkoło nas, żeby założyć gniazda - to cud, którego dostaliśmy ku naszej radości.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lots of loveliness here, David -- and you know I love the birds. But that bloodroot is what is calling me this time. I'm not familiar with it but what a lovely welcoming sign of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wonderful shots David, or probably Miriam - thank you! - chicken fat - lucky crows and visitors to your garden. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello David,
    Another great post and outings. Beautiful bird photos and lovely flowers. Sorry, I am late commenting! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and the rest of the week! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hello David.
    I am very late, my family was at home but here I am.
    Spring is a blessing for nature.
    The Crows meal is definitely great. I don't think about getting the fat from the broths....
    The buntings at your house are like the sparrows at ours. The American Robin is very beautiful. My favorite bird here is probably the nuthatch ☺️.

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers