Friday, April 07, 2023

Book Review - The Deep Ocean: Life in the Abyss - Princeton University Press


      Before reading this book, I think you might have measured in a thimble my knowledge of the deep ocean, mainly gleaned from a few television documentaries, and quite superficial at that. I am confident I have now progressed to the bathtub!
     The book is nothing short of astounding, compiled by four distinguished scientists from different countries, joined by their passion for the deep ocean, its inhabitants, its mysteries, its ecosystem functions; at its core inhospitable, clad in foreboding darkness, yet holding the promise of strange and beautiful lifeforms hitherto unknown.


 
     Much is made of the exploration of outer space, and huge resources are allocated to it, yet this exciting frontier here on Planet Earth remains in great measure terra icognita
     Technology is facilitating a far greater degree of exploration with human-occupied submersible craft now able to descend to eleven thousand metres. In addition, remotely operated robotic vehicles routinely investigate the depths, adding to our knowledge of this hidden realm.
     The Oxford Dictionary describes "abyss" as a deep or seemingly bottomless chasm; an immeasurable depth, a fitting characterization of trenches that are around 12,000 metres deep. Who can even contemplate such depths? What kind of life forms could possibly survive there?

     Fortunately page after page is replete with incredible colour images from different zones, illustrating the organisms of the deep - a dazzling array of creatures both strange and beautiful.
     The organization of the book begins with an Introduction to the Deep Ocean, followed by section on Oceanography, Deep Sea Organisms, Habitats, Global Patterns, and Humanity and the Deep Ocean.
     Sadly, one cannot examine any ecosystem on Earth without paying heed to the destructive effects of anthropogenic activity. This era in human history is not for nothing called the Anthropocene. Oxygen-minimum zones are expanding, resulting in elevated temperatures and increased carbon dioxide and acidity. We continue to dump pollutants into our oceans and the presence of plastics are everywhere (resolve now to never drink from a plastic water bottle again). Mining, unrestrained fisheries engaging in highly damaging activity, oil exploration, sunken vessels, fracking and other destructive practices continue to harm the deep sea ecosytem in ways both known and unknown. We continue along this path at our peril, yet continue we do.
     I am at a loss for words to tell you how much I have appreciated this book. My entire life, from my earliest memories, has been centred around the natural world, but only what I could see, hear, touch and smell. A whole new universe of nature has been opened up to me; I can't wait to learn more.

The Deep Ocean: Life in the Abyss - Princeton University Press
Louise Allcock, Michael Veccione, Imants Priede, and Hans van Haren
Hardcover - US$45.00 - ISBN: 9780691226811
288 pages - 8.5 x 11 inches (21.25 x 27.5 cm)
200+ colour photographs and illustrations
Publication Date: 18 April, 2023
David M. Gascoigne,
David M. Gascoigne,

I'm a life long birder. My interests are birds, nature, reading, books, outdoors, travel, food and wine.

39 comments:

  1. ...a world that I only see on PBS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's a intresting book, David. As you say it's a whole new universe down there. Lovely photos.
    Hugs and kisses, Marit

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fascinating subject, it is certainly an incredible book.
    Excellent review, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tienes buena documentación, para profundizar en los temas que te interesan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Having recently seen some photos of incredible deep-sea critters, to have a whole bookful of them would be wonderful - who needs aliens from up there when we have them down below?!! Might have to wait for the sales, though... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. that first fish is stunning and would be beautiful printed and hung on a wall to admire. as for us Humans and the damage we do, I think we are a lost cause

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost cause? I think so, both politically and ecologically.

      Delete
  7. Very high quality graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure it's an interesting book.
    And a fascinating subject.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  9. the deep ocean full of strange and mysterious creatures. life is so varied and we humans are intent of destroying it all and ourselves in the process. what strange creatures we are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello David,
    I have always thought the ocean, the sea life are amazing. It is sad the effect humans are having on the oceans and our earth. Thanks for sharing your review and this book. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sad, Eileen, tragic in fact. Microplastics have now been detected in breast milk, so we we are already pumping plastics into the bodies of infants from the moment they are born.

      Delete
  11. Not much of a reader but this is a book I would probably enjoy..especially the pictures..Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was growing up, we always got the the "National Geographic" and I remember many happy hours poring over their articles on the deep ocean. So many fascinating and fantastic creatures there. This sounds like a book that I definitely need to add to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We know more about space than we do about the depths of our oceans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an amazing book and a wonderful review. Thank you for sharing it David.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review, David. It would a frightening sight to see what actually is in the oceans these days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The oceans have long struck me as an unexplored and fascinating frontier. Yet again I grieve and I rage at our destructive, self centred ways.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is a whole different world buried in the depths of the sea that I find much more fascinating than the emptiness of outer space.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am way behind on reading your blog ... I had every intention of reading all of your Cuban trip posts before I commented on them and, duh ... I can't figure out how to get to your older posts. Computers are not my strong suit :( But this book ... I would love to read it. I am hoping it will come out in a paperback version so I can afford it. I have watched specials on TV covering this subject and am fascinated by what can live in such depths and the unique forms of life are mind boggling. Your blog provides endless delight in my life ... I don't know what I did before I met you :) Hope all is well with you and Happy Easter to you and your family ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, Andrea. I should have the final episode of my Cuba adventure up on my blog by Sunday, so maybe you'll get a chance to read that. If you get a real hankering to read the parts you missed just let me know and I'll send you a link. Best wishes my dear friend - David

      Delete
  19. Hello David :=)
    It is a fascinating subject. To think that there are living creatures in the ocean that we don't even know exist, is mind blowing. I watched David Attenborough's "Blue Planet" documentary's about sea creatures,and enjoyed them immensely. I have also watched documentary's about plastic pollution of our oceans, and it's horrific.You are right, in writing don't use plastic bottles. I once saw a turtle with it's head in a plastic bottle, doomed to die because of the thoughtless action of a human being..The book seems captivating, but I'm not reading so much these days because of poor vision. Thank you for your excellent narration David and enjoy your weekend. xo
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I often wonder what it would be like to be able to go down deep in a sub and see some of these creatures. The variety of life is amazing, and hopefully we won't decrease that variety. Hope you have a lovely weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm with everyone else; I only know what I've gleaned from a handful of TV documentaries and, not having a TV, that must be well out-of-date. It's sad to think that we are even destroying a habitat so remote that we hardly know that it exists.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi David - this sounds like a quite extraordinary book ... correlating a great deal of research about the aspects of the Ocean floor ... I'd love to read it ... thanks for the review - I love reading them. I wish we'd take much more care of our planet - we totally disregard life in our seas. Sad - but this book seems like a great read. Cheers and Happy Easter weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Must be very interesting...and scary ;)
    Have a Happy Easter !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  24. I also like to read books about the depths of the ocean, David. It seems that this is a completely different planet, with volcanoes, valleys, coral forests, a population of small and bright fish to giants with sharp teeth. As if nothing had changed since the time of the dinosaurs. Of course, we humans do our "contribution" to the ocean ecosystem. I probably won't be able to stop using a plastic bottle because the mineral water I drink is always filled in such a bottle. At least for now...
    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I might well be tempted by this book, David, as I too know little about the mysteries of the ocean depths, but have always been fascinated when I've had a chance to see, first-hand, what lives in our shallower waters.

    Happy Easter wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting book and another great review. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post! Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment

    ReplyDelete
  27. As you say, the oceans are a fascinating subject for reality (and were a subject for fantasy)! Sounds like a good book.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules Verne's " Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea" was one of my favourite books when I was a child.

      Delete
  28. A Great book about marvelous creatures that live in the deep and the dark. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Que interesante querido amigo David, me encantaría esté libro. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello David, it always has facanated me, the deep oceans. This started when Jacques-Yves Cousteau started to explore the seas and started diving and filming and we could see this on the TV, The book looks great with all the photos of the creatures from deep down.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  31. Otros mundos dentro de nuestro mundo, un libro fascinante sin duda. Gracias por compartir David!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I know I would enjoy this book too...it does indeed sound fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that the land on which we are situated are the lands traditionally used by the Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabe, and Neutral People. We also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws, and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we share this land today. We are all treaty people with a responsibility to honour all our relations.

Followers